True Love is the next video? *Official video released*

Sparky

Turn Your Magic On
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
The Panic Station video suited the song with the funky disco vibe, it's a fun song. The style of the True Love video would of probably suited Ink being a fun and laid back song.

The UK video for Trouble is a great example of something simple that compliments the song so so well.

[video=youtube;2gf0njGOJ1o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gf0njGOJ1o[/video]

atlas2000

Along for the ride
Staff member
Coldplayer
I was thinking about this last night and I came up with my ideal video for true love.... Here's what I came up with:
It begins with a shot of Chris in a black room it pauses for a few seconds the music kicks in and he starts singing the song (this is all a close up of Chris)... When the bass drum kicks in before the chorus it slowly turns into a wide shot and reveals the whole band with the paint explosions behind them... It moves from one member to another and focus' in on Johnny during his solo (with a shot from the side so you can still we the rest of the band) after his solo it cuts back to the whole band until Chris starts singing the "ohs" at the end and it goes back into the close up of Chris. With the rest of the band blacked out and the paint explosions going on until Chris closes his eyes on the last note of the song and the whole screen just goes black!
What do you think?

Haruka

righteously wicked
Coldplayer
^ sounds like a darker version of ETIAW MV without the stop motion thing, quite simple but would've worked better :)

jc90

Most Interesting Poster 2015
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Tbh, i've been thinking about this a long time and it clear to me now that Coldplay is effectively trying to stay mainstream to the point where they have jumped on the bandwagon of making stupid "funny" music videos to get more views. Also i think they are still trying to make funny videos to cleanse the bland reputation that Coldplay once (still maybe) has. I remember Viva era that u could defend Coldplay easily when talking to a hater. Nowadays, I usually agree and say Coldplay has sold out. Have they sold out? Idk, they honestly don't need to. They seem to want to. This video was god awful...
Hmm, I wouldn't have drawn the conclusion of them selling out just from this video though....But if you wanna ask that question, no, I don't think they've sold out. I think Chris genuinely likes musicians like Avicii, Rihanna and One Direction. That doesn't mean he's sold out. To me, you sell out when you sell your music for a Pepsi ad, or show up in a shampoo commercial or something. If Coldplay were selling out, they aren't doing a great job at it. If they really tried to, you'd be seeing them in ads everywhere and just raping your eyeballs with commercials all the time...but you don't see that what so-ever except the Target ad (only in USA) and the viva-itunes ad.

Batman

My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
Coldplayer
I was thinking about this last night and I came up with my ideal video for true love.... Here's what I came up with:
It begins with a shot of Chris in a black room it pauses for a few seconds the music kicks in and he starts singing the song (this is all a close up of Chris)... When the bass drum kicks in before the chorus it slowly turns into a wide shot and reveals the whole band with the paint explosions behind them... It moves from one member to another and focus' in on Johnny during his solo (with a shot from the side so you can still we the rest of the band) after his solo it cuts back to the whole band until Chris starts singing the "ohs" at the end and it goes back into the close up of Chris. With the rest of the band blacked out and the paint explosions going on until Chris closes his eyes on the last note of the song and the whole screen just goes black!
What do you think?
Really? :|

Btw I really like your idea, it's minimalstic and includes the WHOLE band. And I think the song requires a nice simple intimate video of the band, so I prefer yours over the official one a 4789523893890 times already :wacko:

atlas2000

Along for the ride
Staff member
Coldplayer
Really? :|

Btw I really like your idea, it's minimalstic and includes the WHOLE band. And I think the song requires a nice simple intimate video of the band, so I prefer yours over the official one a 4789523893890 times already :wacko:
I just feel if it was done like that or something like that it would suit the song better but thats just my opinion

Prospector

Rafael
Coldplayer
Tbh, i've been thinking about this a long time and it clear to me now that Coldplay is effectively trying to stay mainstream to the point where they have jumped on the bandwagon of making stupid "funny" music videos to get more views. Also i think they are still trying to make funny videos to cleanse the bland reputation that Coldplay once (still maybe) has. I remember Viva era that u could defend Coldplay easily when talking to a hater. Nowadays, I usually agree and say Coldplay has sold out. Have they sold out? Idk, they honestly don't need to. They seem to want to. This video was god awful...
No, I don't think they "sold out", Chris just happens to like very cheesy stuff

Batman

My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
Coldplayer
I just feel if it was done like that or something like that it would suit the song better but thats just my opinion
Yes... like, the first couple of Coldplay music videos were done, just the bands, some interesting setting they're playing in, and maybe some effects. SOME. :wacko:

gai

No, I don't think they "sold out", Chris just happens to like very cheesy stuff
i think it reflects more on what his current mental state is. and one major factor of that seems to be making music that his kids would love.

atlas2000

Along for the ride
Staff member
Coldplayer
Yes... like, the first couple of Coldplay music videos were done, just the bands, some interesting setting they're playing in, and maybe some effects. SOME. :wacko:
Imagine
Coldplay's O
Directed by Michael Bay

nvdmm

Oldplayer
Coldplayer
i think it reflects more on what his current mental state is. and one major factor of that seems to be making music that his kids would love.
When he first said that I thought he was either joking or was just being a great father in trying to somehow please his children. But of course now we know he is dead serious. And its terrifying! :\

Danceteacher

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I am still not really sure about the video. But I am glad that they kept the suits till the end - for a moment I thought that when they found each other they may change to their "normal" selves. That would have been really cheesy. :embarrassed:

Before the video came out I had imagined a "simple" video with the band, too. But thinking about this now something occured to me - True Love is certainly a very personal song for Chris. So a reduced, intense video may have had the danger of becoming a bit too intense and personal - with all the world interpreting it as the official break-up video for him and Gwyneth. So maybe that's one of the reasons they went this way? Then of course I may be totally wrong and Chris just always wanted to dance in a fat suit ;)

Safy

An Outsider
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Now that I have overcome my initial shock. Here are some thoughts about the video:

- It has nothing to do with the song, but maybe this was intentional. When I first read the song lyrics, I had tears in my eyes thinking they were such painful & heartbreaking lyrics :teardrop: This video gives the opposite feeling of the song. Perhaps because Chris has already left that dark place & moved to a brighter one. He would want to associate the song with something colorful & funny instead of some painful memories.

- A video for his kids to enjoy as some of you have mentioned. It could be a possibility because he doesn't want them to feel bad because of their parents breaking up so he makes it up for them by making them feel special & cared after, featuring them on the record, filming a music video to their taste.

- If the previous point is correct, then we will be stuck to such kind of childish videos till his kids grow older (late teens), provided that he doesn't have any more kids & we get to listen to nursery songs :lol:

- The video is reminiscent of the Magic video. Same idea, same ending & even same Chris' character; a neglected talented janitor/ a neglected talented magician assistant. Add to this a beautiful actress ( Jessica Lucas is so pretty)who falls in love with him & a happy ending & you get 2 copies of the same video. Even one picture from Magic was used on True love!

- The janitor's name is Hugo, the (anything is possible) message. The prism with the 7 rays of light..All could be hints for the new era. This makes me excited, though I can't decipher the codes for this. Remember the ghost doodle at the Atlas lyrics. There might be hidden hints also that we didn't pay notice to. :surprised:

mayrn43

Up&Up
Coldplayer
The Panic Station video?! That was extremely creative and very funky in a rock and roll kind of way. You simply cannot compare the two.

Muse are legendarily good at music videos. Its outrageous to compare them to Coldplay.
Totally agree!

mayurshikotra

O
Coldplayer
Found this behind the scenes video from Jonas Akerlund website!

[video]http://www.jonasakerlund.com/stuff/#coldplay-behind-the-scenes-true-love[/video]

Looks like they cut a couple bits out!

Sparky

Turn Your Magic On
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Found this behind the scenes video from Jonas Akerlund website!

[video]http://www.jonasakerlund.com/stuff/#coldplay-behind-the-scenes-true-love[/video]

Looks like they cut a couple bits out!
Thanks Mayur, don't think anyone else has picked that up yet! :D