Up&Up

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Terrible production in *AHFOD THE SONG*????
I can't put my finger on it but for some reason the production of the studio version fails to give me the vibe of the live version, which I actually liked...

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
^ I agree, the live version has a better vibe to it and is more epic IMO, and they could have done a little better on the production, although for me it only degrades the song as a whole a little bit. Not as good as it could be but still a great song IMO.

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
or how one of Jonny's best solos is excluded from the studio version of Another's Arms.
Wait what??? What solo? I remember liking the live version more but I dont remember the studio omitting a whole solo? Could you give me a link if this is the case? I totally wanna hear it

nvdmm

Oldplayer
Coldplayer
Wait what??? What solo? I remember liking the live version more but I dont remember the studio omitting a whole solo? Could you give me a link if this is the case? I totally wanna hear it
From 02:24 onward. It's barely audible on the studio version but Jonny does an amazing job with it live. I'm amazed you haven't noticed it! Just search on YouTube for "Another's Arms".

The same criticism can be applied to Oceans, especially when you compare it to the live version they did on Max and BBC live.

Last edited:

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
From 02:24 onward. It's barely audible on the studio version but Jonny does an amazing job with it live. I'm amazed you haven't noticed it! Just search on YouTube for "Another's Arms".

The same criticism can be applied to Oceans, especially when you compare it to the live version they did on Max and BBC live.
The way you wrote it seemed like a whole solo was absent from the studio version! Lol that's why I asked you. I've certainly noticed its louder in the live version but that solo is equally present and identical , though not as loud, in the studio version.
I also prefer the live version cuz it's less muffled.

MosesTheMarshmallow

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
The way you wrote it seemed like a whole solo was absent from the studio version! Lol that's why I asked you. I've certainly noticed its louder in the live version but that solo is equally present and identical , though not as loud, in the studio version.
I also prefer the live version cuz it's less muffled.
Yeah on the album version I find the piano in the middle of the song, and the guitar solo rather muffled. The one redeeming thing about the album version is that the muffled-ness of the guitar allows the very interesting bassline there to shine through. That said, I really like the authoritative/piercing sound of Jonny's guitar live for that solo...reminds me of heavy hip-hop or trap.

On Up&Up, which guitar solo is it that people don't like the mixing on? I thought the solos sound sufficiently loud, clear, and excellent. Not nearly as egregious as perhaps the guitar volume on Everglow (which is a bit low relative to the live version).

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
On Up&Up, which guitar solo is it that people don't like the mixing on? I thought the solos sound sufficiently loud, clear, and excellent. Not nearly as egregious as perhaps the guitar volume on Everglow (which is a bit low relative to the live version).
Im satisfied about Up&Up. Everglow solo is a whole lot lower than the live version, which is a pity. On a note: try and listen to Another´s Arms and other GS songs on vinyl, you´ll hear the solos pop to the front again :)

Last edited:

gentleparachute

Up&Up
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
What do you guys think about the 'two' guitar solos? I initially thought they sandwiched either side of the chorus, but now I'm not so sure... The first guitar passage spanning 3:19 - 4:05 may actually contain both the solos within it, the first from 3:19 sounds more like Noel (the muscular attack on every note and lack of clarity do not sound like Jonny to me) and the second from 3:43 sounds like Jonny's floating dynamic guitar-playing to my ears. And similarly the second guitar passage from 4:53 probably has them both 'dueling' it out with a call and response pattern

D

diogo_sg

What do you guys think about the 'two' guitar solos? I initially thought they sandwiched either side of the chorus, but now I'm not so sure... The first guitar passage spanning 3:19 - 4:05 may actually contain both the solos within it, the first from 3:19 sounds more like Noel (the muscular attack on every note and lack of clarity do not sound like Jonny to me) and the second from 3:43 sounds like Jonny's floating dynamic guitar-playing to my ears. And similarly the second guitar passage from 4:53 probably has them both 'dueling' it out with a call and response pattern
I continue to think that the first solo is Noel playing a Jonny solo and the second one is Jonny playing a Noel solo, like a few others have already said here. I don't know Noel's guitar work quite well, but I do know Jonny's and the first solo sounds a lot like him. The last one, not so much. Many people here have said that the last solo sounds like Noel and even has his 'trademark' sound (again, I am not familiarized with his guitar work). Anyways, if Noel was meant to play Jonny and viceversa, then the first solo should be Noel's and the last solo should be Jonny's. At least that's how I see it ;)

Rickulus

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I said this before, but if it turns out Jonny played the first solo and Noel played the second one, they are reeeeaaaaally good at cooying each others styles:D I think Noel played the first one.

Gideon_Mx

Everyone sees the colour in each other's eyes
Coldplayer
:) Ah okay, then I also think that Noel played the first one and Jonny the second one (in the studio version :D) . I love the first one so much! I am 100% Sure that the first one is Jonny's solo (That's already been said I think).

Its definitely (one of) his best guitar solo(s) ever ! IMO
:guitarist::jonny:

Last edited:

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
I was musing on this part

"down upon the canvas, working meal to meal
waiting for a chance to pick your orange field"

Im unsure about the exact meaning of the "pick your orange field" part. I think the gist of the sentence is an artist who is working "on commission" just to make ends meet (meal to meal), waiting for a break?

But is "pick your orange field" an idiom Im not familiar with perhaps?

Rickulus

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Im unsure about the exact meaning of the "pick your orange field" part. I think the gist of the sentence is an artist who is working "on commission" just to make ends meet (meal to meal), waiting for a break?
I was thinking about that line too and I think you're right.

D

diogo_sg

I was musing on this part

"down upon the canvas, working meal to meal
waiting for a chance to pick your orange field"

But is "pick your orange field" an idiom Im not familiar with perhaps?
I think it's about someone who is working hard (meal to meal) on something and is waiting for his/her chance to pick the fruit (product/consequence) of what he's/she's doing and so achieve his/her goals.

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
^^ I agree :) I just never heard the expression "pick your orange field", so not sure if its an idiom or if its just from Chris own dictionary *lol*

Batman

My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
Coldplayer
I've been wondering about that orange field as well. Maybe he means it literally as to owning your own orchard or something, with which you earn more money than working "down upon the canvas" :shrug: