Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What rating will Pitchfork give to Ghost Stories?

MathieuLF

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I actually found the Pitchfork review to be very fair. It wasn't glowing by any means, and yes it was rather negative but had valid points to back up why.

Ghost Stories is the first album I enjoy of Coldplay's since AROBTTH and I realize that GS isn't anything new or interesting, but it just feels more intimate than the previous few Coldplay albums for me.

Batman

My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
Coldplayer
That's harsh. If Radiohead came out with an album full of ambient noise they would give it a 9.
Oh wait they already did.
What ever Pitchfork says I do the opposite.
Snobs.
LOL and when Coldplay goes quiet they're like "Ewww Coldplay"

A few things he wrote were understandable and right, but he clearly likes Mylo Xyloto over X&Y, and prefers all the pop songs over the quieter ones, and THAT I can't understand. X&Y is full of gems!
He thinks O is dull? Lolwat.
I think it's a nice turn that Coldplay got quieter again with the new album, I mean, they couldn't have produced another MX, that would have been too much IMHO..

Still, music taste is music taste, one person wrote this review and it doesn't change a thing, so there.

K

kmm1482

LOL and when Coldplay goes quiet they're like "Ewww Coldplay"

A few things he wrote were understandable and right, but he clearly likes Mylo Xyloto over X&Y, and prefers all the pop songs over the quieter ones, and THAT I can't understand. X&Y is full of gems!
He thinks O is dull? Lolwat.
I think it's a nice turn that Coldplay got quieter again with the new album, I mean, they couldn't have produced another MX, that would have been too much IMHO..

Still, music taste is music taste, one person wrote this review and it doesn't change a thing, so there.
While I prefer Parachutes and AROBTTH to X&Y, it still has some iconic Coldplay songs: Speec of Sound, Fix You, Talk, and Til Kingdom Come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blakexy1125

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Reddit goes in a frenzy over this stuff. True coldplayers know not to take this so seriously.

Durk

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Wow. That puts it in perspective.
To give AROBTTH a 5.1?
They clearly don't like Coldplay.

aschall

Here Comes the Night Time
Coldplayer
Even though this review is unnecessarily harsh, there are a few things I agree with.

- X&Y as their worst album
- Ink as the worst track off GS
- Their best days are behind them

I truly believe Viva was their peak. They might surprise me with LP7, but I think they're past their recording prime. Don't get me wrong though, Ghost Stories is one of my favorites already.

nvdmm

Oldplayer. Too Oldplay
Coldplayer
Guys they gave AROBTTH a 5.1. I wouldn't care if Jesus himself writes the reviews, that score makes anything they say invalid.

K

kmm1482

Guys they gave AROBTTH a 5.1. I wouldn't care if Jesus himself writes the reviews, that score make anything they say invalid.
Agreed. In my opinion, AROBTTH is their all-around best album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lennyrott2

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Pitchfork only has one individual review an album and I think they rotate reviewers for artists every album. They are hard-pressed to give many albums good scores, but I usually agree when they give great reviews. Truth is, some of them probably like Coldplay and others don't. The GS reviewer clearly doesn't, whereas the MX reviewer clearly just had a taste for that power alternative pop sound. People harp on pitchfork for being hipster and hating the mainstream, but often times they give the mainstream albums the best reviews: Beyonce, Yeezus, Lorde. I don't worry about one reviewers opinion though. There are a lot of people who like to hate on Coldplay. That is why I prefer metacritic or rotten tomatoes for my reviews. they are more of a consensus which we can listen to.

Batman

My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
Coldplayer
Was it seriously necessary to do this? Now they're just being trolls. It can't be for anything other than for hipster click-bait
I agree. I guess they just want attention.

I'm always amazed how much hate an album can create :lol: It's just music folks, nothing serious alright? It's not like we're discussing something worldshaking here...

lennyrott2

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I just listened to the podcast and really, what is so disagreeable about it? I mean, these guys all are not Coldplay haters, two of them seem to love Viva, Parachutes and a Rush just as much as most coldplayers. Obviously they really really don't like Ghost Stories, and I disagree with their overall assessment, but the points they make are often valid. Here are a few of their criticisms that I am completely in agreement with:

Usually Martin's somewhat poor lyricism is negligible because of the incredibly emotive music going on in the background. On Ghost Stories, we don't get that very much.

Coldplay is amazing at taking ideas and sounds from other bands and making it their own in a unique and wonderful way. In Ghost Stories they try to replicate themselves largely, and it sometimes comes off flat.

Lyrically the album is somewhat excusable considering Chris' circumstances, but at the same time, we don't know really what he is singing about specifically, and that distances the singer from the audience, the ideas aren't necessarily universal here like with other albums.

Coldplay does have grit and big rock-band caliber, but on Ghost Stories, they don't use Will Champion and some of their best elements enough.

All of the things people hate Coldplay for (lyrics, mopy sound, not enough teeth) are all on the forefront on Ghost Stories, and unfortunately critics will rip it apart, which is too bad because we all know Coldplay can do better.

MrMilanista

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Even though this review is unnecessarily harsh, there are a few things I agree with.

- X&Y as their worst album
- Ink as the worst track off GS
- Their best days are behind them

I truly believe Viva was their peak. They might surprise me with LP7, but I think they're past their recording prime. Don't get me wrong though, Ghost Stories is one of my favorites already.
Every album is their prime.
It's still amazing that they still haven't made a bad album