Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Will Ghost Stories be as good as the others?

Wilson

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I have some very high expectations for this upcoming album!! I just can't see Coldplay disappointing! I personally think that they're first 4 albums were masterpieces, Mylo was really good but it wasn't quite on par with the others for me. It's going to be tough for GS to match the others but I think it has a shot! But if I'm honest, I'll be pleased if it can be as good as MX! + I'm really glad the boys are back!

RhysBP

Major Minus
Coldplayer
Expecting a very solid album for them. Best one since Viva.

theprospekt

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I think it will at least be their third best.

For me it already seems better than X&Y, MX and Parachutes.

Whether it will beat AROBTTH and/or VLVODAAHF only time can tell. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nvdmm

Oldplayer. Too Oldplay
Coldplayer
Well we've only heard two tracks from the album so far (we don't know how the tracks played live will sound in the album) but so far I think it'll be pretty good. I'm not expecting to be blown away though.
up par with AROBTTH! and VLV!
Whoah lets not get too carried away! I absolutely love Midnight and Magic but...

jc90

A Herp Full Of Derp
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
My personal rankings are Rush>'Chutes>X&Y>MX>Viva

I would project GS to be above X&Y at the moment and as high as parachutes. Doubt it can reach 'Rush' status.

lennyrott2

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
The nice part about having favourite bands is that they can almost do no wrong. While this is entirely a subjective question, it does seem most Coldplay fans, at least those who have been fans since the Parachutes/AROBTTH era, tend to not like MX and X&Y as much out of the entire discography. I myself fall in this category and I bet that Ghost Stories will certainly be a more well received album than MX, perhaps not commercially, but definitely critically and amongst older fans.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong and it could be their best album or their worst, we really haven't heard enough yet I think to be able to tell. I look forward to finding out and hearing new tracks as they trickle in. After some of these early reviews I can't help but have high expetations myself!

gai

i have a feeling it will be better than MX and X&Y. possibly better than parachutes. but have to wait to listen to the album as a while and let it sink in for awhile. the first listen is not always the best to judge an album for me.

EDIT: in any case, i think we can expect much better production on this album than MX. the production in midnight and magic is awesome!

jc90

A Herp Full Of Derp
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
MX better than viva? lol
lol, I know its a little bit out there, but I thought long and hard about. What sold me was I didn't have a single track from the Viva era on my playlist which surprised even myself. Dont get me wrong, I like Viva, but I just don't prefer it to MX.

Or perhaps I'm going about the whole thing wrong. I'm putting a higher reliance on strength of individual tracks than the album as a whole.

Durk

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
lol, I know its a little bit out there, but I thought long and hard about. What sold me was I didn't have a single track from the Viva era on my playlist which surprised even myself. Dont get me wrong, I like Viva, but I just don't prefer it to MX.

Or perhaps I'm going about the whole thing wrong. I'm putting a higher reliance on strength of individual tracks than the album as a whole.
You've managed to unconvince yourself!

JM-42

Life is for Living
Coldplayer
Unlike MX, I have high expectations for this album. We'll see if that backfires on me on May 16th (or whenever the album leaks)

kaisin

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I think that MX has some really strong tracks in it but, as a whole, i don't like it as much as i like the other LPs. For example, i think that Viva is a pretty solid record from start to finish because it has such good cohesiveness (i don't know if that word actually exists) but, individually, the only song on it that i really love and listen to on a regular basis is Strawberry Swing, whereas MX has great tracks in it like Charlie Brown, UATW, Hurts Like Heaven or DLIBYH but it's a pretty uneven record.

ARoBttH14

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
All this speculation is raising the levels of anticipation. 3 long years...

lennyrott2

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I think that MX has some really strong tracks in it but, as a whole, i don't like it as much as i like the other LPs. For example, i think that Viva is a pretty solid record from start to finish because it has such good cohesiveness (i don't know if that word actually exists) but, individually, the only song on it that i really love and listen to on a regular basis is Strawberry Swing, whereas MX has great tracks in it like Charlie Brown, UATW, Hurts Like Heaven or DLIBYH but it's a pretty uneven record.
I might say that as far as album flow goes, MX is Coldplay's most cohesive release, every big bang on that album is complemented by a a softer sound to follow, and overall it does feel like some sort of sonic story. I significantly prefer Viva however, because every track for me is solid, diverse and I just like how that era incorporated some artpop/shoegaze/folk elements. Plus it is flows amazingly well from start to finish.

I agree with your assessment of MX though, all the tracks you mentioned are awesome, and I would even add Paradise, ETIAW, and Major Minus. However, I hardly even touch the other tracks, especially Up In Flames.

kaisin

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I might say that as far as album flow goes, MX is Coldplay's most cohesive release, every big bang on that album is complemented by a a softer sound to follow, and overall it does feel like some sort of sonic story. I significantly prefer Viva however, because every track for me is solid, diverse and I just like how that era incorporated some artpop/shoegaze/folk elements. Plus it is flows amazingly well from start to finish.

I agree with your assessment of MX though, all the tracks you mentioned are awesome, and I would even add Paradise, ETIAW, and Major Minus. However, I hardly even touch the other tracks, especially Up In Flames.
Yes, it is well structured indeed, i meant 'uneven' in terms of quality :)

The Philosopher

Science and progress
Coldplayer
The only fear that I have is that maybe Ghost Stories won't have a song like Chinese Sleep Chant in VLVODAAHF or like Major Minus in MX... I hope I'm wrong.