Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Will Ghost Stories be as good as the others?

CharlieBrown

Leave a light on....
Coldplayer
I've been trying to think about this based on what we've heard so far. The band purposely chose Midnight to be the first song they shared with the public. Why? Because Midnight is the track that they want to sort of 'lead into' Ghost Stories. Midnight is Coldplay's most different song we've ever heard, and it is easily the best of the tracks we've heard yet. Secondly, the band releases Magic as the lead single. This one is more obvious, Coldplay has two sides: the pop side (Paradise, Viva La Vida, Princess of China, Clocks) and they have their alternative side (Charlie Brown, Violet Hill, Amsterdam, Spies). Magic is Coldplay's 'pop' side at it's finest, and it works as a radio friendly single.

Next on the list are the two live songs we've heard: Another's Arms and Always In My Head. I think Coldplay knew that not as many people would watch the concert as they would buy the full record. This is why they chose Always In My Head to start the show off with. It's an opener song, and what do you want when you finish hearing the opener song? MORE SONGS. Always In My Head is classic Coldplay, and the band knows that. They knew the fans were the ones who would be watching, so why not give them a little teaser? So if my logic is correct (and I think it is) then we can expect Ghost Stories to feel a lot more like Always In My Head rather than Magic. Now, I could be wrong, but these are just my predictions. If Ghost Stories is more of the Always In My Head sound, I believe this album might rival some of their best work. But it's going to have to work hard to dethrone A Rush of Blood To the Head.

jc90

A Herp Full Of Derp
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
That's a good analysis by you, especially the part about Always in My Head being more representative of the album.

I came to that conclusion in a different way though. It seems to be the case that the opening track of each album is pretty indicative of the feels of the rest of the album.

Parachutes album - Don't Panic
Alt-soft rock vibes

A Rush of Blood to the Head - Politik
Piano rock

X&Y Album - Square One
"Harder" piano rock with more guitars. Space rock lite

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends Album- Life in Technicolour
Artsy and colourful vibe with strings accompaniment, organic and more experimental

Mylo Xyloto Album - Mylo Xyloto/Hurts Like Heaven
Wall of sound, prominent guitar and delving into electronic aids

Now with Ghost Stories. If the pattern continues and going off of Always in My Head, it appears to be...pretty darn good lol

CharlieBrown

Leave a light on....
Coldplayer
Now with Ghost Stories. If the pattern continues and going off of Always in My Head, it appears to be...pretty darn good lol
That would be my conclusion as well! Always In My Head might just be one of my favorite Coldplay songs, it rivals Don't Panic as an intro song.

jc90

A Herp Full Of Derp
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
They just have such a knack for intro songs man, its insane.

The trouble is, it's hard to fit it into the setlist of the next tour. In other words, i'm not sure where i'd plug in Politik, Don't Panic, HLH, LiT or Square1 if not the first song to start the setlist or at least first song coming out of an encore

mayrn43

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I have set my expectations high for GS. I predict it will be my third favourite, just ahead of MX, behind X&Y and AROBTTH. Or maybe even my second after A Rush, just beating out X&Y. I don't think they'll ever be able to top AROBTTH for the rest of their career but who knows?
Anyway, the tracks so far are all quality, except for maybe Another's Arms. (I like it but it's not on the same level as the other output). The studio version might be a lot better than the live version. Can't wait to hear it and see (the studio version for Another's Arms is rumoured to come out on iTunes next Monday)

Skypala

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
That would be my conclusion as well! Always In My Head might just be one of my favorite Coldplay songs, it rivals Don't Panic as an intro song.
Agreed! I am so excited for this album I can't even put it into words!

lennyrott2

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
That's a good analysis by you, especially the part about Always in My Head being more representative of the album.

I came to that conclusion in a different way though. It seems to be the case that the opening track of each album is pretty indicative of the feels of the rest of the album.

Parachutes album - Don't Panic
Alt-soft rock vibes

A Rush of Blood to the Head - Politik
Piano rock

X&Y Album - Square One
"Harder" piano rock with more guitars. Space rock lite

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends Album- Life in Technicolour
Artsy and colourful vibe with strings accompaniment, organic and more experimental

Mylo Xyloto Album - Mylo Xyloto/Hurts Like Heaven
Wall of sound, prominent guitar and delving into electronic aids

Totally agree with you, they do such an amazing job establishing the tone of an album with their intro songs. Always In My Head therefore has to be a large signifier. Well said.

Kingzilla

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
SO MUCH HYPE

Realistically, from what I've heard from people that have heard the album, this won't beat AROBTTH. Every song, even A Whisper, has an edge to it that reminds me of a young man graduating from university - someone ready to take on the world. Today, does Coldplay have that same edge? I don't think so. Midnight was great, but that was one song. Always in My Head sounds like a classic, Magic was good, ASFOS at best will be a classic and at worst another Paradise, and Another Arms is mediocre. So unless the studio does miracles with Another Arms, it will the album's lame track (i know some people like the song, but the is imo). At that point, the album is up to songs like Ink, O, and True Love.

If those songs can compare to GPASUYF, Fix You, Strawberry Swings, and Charlie Brown (all minor hit/classics) then the album has potential to take the throne. But my guess that True Love will be a decent song, but slow the album down a lot. It'll end up being probably just behind Viva, so 3rd, above Parachutes.

I hope i'm wrong.

Skypala

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
SO MUCH HYPE

Realistically, from what I've heard from people that have heard the album, this won't beat AROBTTH. Every song, even A Whisper, has an edge to it that reminds me of a young man graduating from university - someone ready to take on the world. Today, does Coldplay have that same edge? I don't think so. Midnight was great, but that was one song. Always in My Head sounds like a classic, Magic was good, ASFOS at best will be a classic and at worst another Paradise, and Another Arms is mediocre. So unless the studio does miracles with Another Arms, it will the album's lame track (i know some people like the song, but the is imo). At that point, the album is up to songs like Ink, O, and True Love.

If those songs can compare to GPASUYF, Fix You, Strawberry Swings, and Charlie Brown (all minor hit/classics) then the album has potential to take the throne. But my guess that True Love will be a decent song, but slow the album down a lot. It'll end up being probably just behind Viva, so 3rd, above Parachutes.

I hope i'm wrong.
Interesting ideas! Basically, we really can't say for sure so don't jump to conclusions about songs you haven't heard yet (True Love, etc)

One thing we can all agree on though-- this sure is a great time to be a Coldplay fan!

Nature

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
From the 4 tracks i've i heard, i think this album will get underrated at first, but then the (normal listener) will like it later and this will become a classic coldplay album and their best.

Cubie255

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
For me it's VLV>AROBTTH>MX>PARACHUTES>X&Y, but I think GS will be my second favourite instead of MX. I love the sounds and electronic kind of stuff that Jon Hopkins does, and with Coldplay and him combined it's just incredible. I also love mellow stuff.

theprospekt

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
If you haven't tried this, try it: put the four tracks we have so far in order and listen on repeat. Doing this made me realize that GS will be a great ALBUM. Not just a collection of great songs, which is what X&Y feels like to me but a great album, like AROBTTH.

There's this underlying theme and feeling to the songs that I think (sorry to say it) stems from the breakup with Gwyneth. All four songs seem to attack the situation from different angles without coming to a happy conclusion though. I think this is where A Sky Full Of Stars and O comes in.

There's a lot of pain and sadness in this album so far that I can feel almost literally when listening to it. It think it matches well with the visual theme: dark, restrained colors, thoughtful art.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jayden

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'm not sure where Ghost Stories will rank in regards to the other albums. I think I already like it better than Mylo Xyloto.
I'm not sure it will beat AROBTTH and X&Y (My two favourites), but then again, from reading this thread it seems a lot of people don't favor X&Y too much.

As the date gets closer, I'm getting more and more excited! I can't wait.

Famous Old Painter

KICKS LIKE A SLEEP TWICH
Coldplayer
It'll almost certainly be better than MX and X&Y, but probably not as good as AROBTTH or VLV. I'll probably prefer it to Parachutes, but I'll have to wait and see.

the_escapist

Just a flock of birds
Coldplayer
I think it will be as good as the rest of the albums. Have to listen many many times in order to rank it vs. the other albums.

coldplay♪♫♪

coldplay lover♪♫♪
Coldplayer
For me it's
1. X&Y
2. AROBTTH
3. Parachutes
4. VLV
5. MX
I think GS will take the 4th or 5th place in my list