Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Will Ghost Stories be the bands flop album?

tom043

tom
Coldplayer
After tonights show on bbc I'm actually convinced this will be their best, like zane said, an extension of parachutes plus their modern and new skills + influences. I'm 100000x more exited for this album than MX. Loved that era but the album was the least good one imo

The Lonely Martian

Wait for your call, love
Coldplayer
Coldplay have had outstandingly large numbers of #1 hot-shot debuts since X&Y and have never had an album peak below #1 on the UK albums chart. Even Parachutes. I highly doubt Ghost Stories is going to flop. It's going to be in the top three, if not another hot-shot #1, in a number of countries once again.

The big misconception is that albums will flop or become huge successes simply because it's good or not. The music industry does not work like that at all. Albums are bought and sold like any other product. People are mostly going to buy Ghost Stories because it's an album by Coldplay and they like Coldplay's music.

invertedblue

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I think "flop" has to be defined before anything can be labeled.

Album sales were a beast when Parachutes was released, it was really a different world in music. With streaming services that continue to gain popularity, album sales as a whole are down like 15% from last year. You can't compare previous albums when shit like Spotify and such didn't even exist from Parachutes through Viva.

However, I do think Ghost Stories has a lot of potential. With the downward trends of sales, even matching MX would be a win.

jc90

A Herp Full Of Derp
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I think "flop" has to be defined before anything can be labeled.

Album sales were a beast when Parachutes was released, it was really a different world in music. With streaming services that continue to gain popularity, album sales as a whole are down like 15% from last year. You can't compare previous albums when shit like Spotify and such didn't even exist from Parachutes through Viva.

However, I do think Ghost Stories has a lot of potential. With the downward trends of sales, even matching MX would be a win.
Always the best way to tackle any question. With that being said, I don't see this album flopping in any sense of the word. I predict it will do well commercially and critically.

Blakexy1125

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Coldplay has a pretty loyal fanbase. When people hear coldplay they know it will be quality. I had people tell me they were buying MX even though they haven't heard songs off of it because they know coldplay always brings quality to their music. I don't think coldplay will have a "flop" album. People have faith in them.

Revolverwin

Strawberry Swing
Coldplayer
Yeah, its true that Coldplay wants quality music that's why I think its part of the reason why they spend so much time making and recording songs.

likeafire

Scientist
Coldplayer
I think it will be.

Magic and midnight are average songs. Sky full of stars is much much better but still not as great as the previous work.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

kaisin

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
With ASFOS on top of the iTunes charts in more than 60 countries and Magic and Midnight continuing to do well, i highly doubt that the album will flop because it will appeal to people looking for old school Coldplay, it will appeal to EDM fans and also to people who like Coldplay but say that they should "do something different" (i get the feeling that a lot of people think that all old Coldplay songs sound the same)

KatePT

Cartoon Heart
Coldplayer
After tonights show on bbc I'm actually convinced this will be their best, like zane said, an extension of parachutes plus their modern and new skills + influences. I'm 100000x more exited for this album than MX. Loved that era but the album was the least good one imo
I share the same opinion :)

Liam

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
lyrically from the songs I've heard so far, could be so much better? seems so short

LPxDBZ

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I have no doubt that this album will debut at #1 and sell several 100k copies in a week. However, with that said I still think it'll be their least successful album to date. I also don't think it'll be their highest rated album ether, but we'll see.