🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

How did you discover Coldplay?

Coldplay, I can honestly say, changed my life.

I'm currently 18 years old and I live in the United States, just for some simple background. I was far too young when Parachutes or AROBTTH came out to understand what real music was. I recall my best friend in elementary school telling something about how his dad was claiming he found a new break through artist after listening to their album, which I found out years later was Coldplay. Anyway, my family is from Azerbaijan (country south of Russia) and my sister was caught up in rap music growing up, so I was mostly around either 70s rock/russian music from my dad or top 100 rap artists from my sister. I had never truly experienced what soulful and emotional music was truly about.

When I was about in sixth grade, my life sort of went crashing down as I began to suffer through some episodes of depression, which seems like exaggerated bullshit because I was so young, but it was far from it. This was about the time that one of my cousins showed me the music video for VLV, when the album just came out. At first, I dismissed it, and continued on with my life, but the song kept playing on the radio so I was reminded of it often. I remember sitting on my computer one day at home watching the VLV music video for the fiftieth time, when I started to click on other Coldplay songs on the suggested links on youtube. First "Violet Hill," then "Talk," followed by "Shiver." I don't think I listened to much else but Coldplay for maybe an entire year. I had never listened to music that defined my being and gave me a sense of purpose. I could embody the feeling in Chris's words, and emulate my own pain through it. I remember printing out a copy of the lyrics of "What If" and walking around outside with it reading it over and over. I actually still have the copy buried somewhere if anyone's interested enough to see it. I turned my life around during this time, and became someone. Coldplay gave me a string to hold on to and to (strawberry) swing my passions towards, and that is something I will never forget.

Thank you Coldplay. I am forever grateful.

• Like 2
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm I remember walking down Charing Cross Road with a pal. We passed a street cd seller or stand cant remember and he went "hey have you heard of this band? Coldplay? They just released this album Parachute, they are pretty good!"

Thats how I first heard of them, but I seriously got into them with the release of X&Y, as it was mega hyped and so I decided to have an early listen online at the stream and I ´ve been hooked ever since :)

Edit: Actually I think I heard of them for the very very first time in the Mercury Award compilation CD where they featured with the song "Spies". I had no idea who they were but the song haunted me for days :)

In 2004 my friend dragged me to see the movie Wicker Park which I didn't really have an interest in seeing. At the end of the movie, I heard the most beautiful song. I had no idea who sang it but I couldn't get the words to the chorus out of my head. When I got home, I searched nobody said it was easy and found it was "The Scientist" by Coldplay. I searched and downloaded every song I could find, bought all their albums, and saw them in concert for the first time a few short months later. 11 years and 21 concerts later, they are still my favorite band in the world!

• Like 3
In 2004 my friend dragged me to see the movie Wicker Park

Oh yeah I love that movie. The scene at the airport in the end is where they play the Scientist, yeah? :) Cool way to discover them :)

And isn't great we have Shazem now, so we dont need to search obscure texts on Google to find a song! I dont even want to think of back when there was not even Google...oh the dark ages hehe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kmm1482

Vote for the Ultimate Oldplaying thread in the category "Best thread of 2015 - Coldplay section" ! In this thread we celebrate the sound and style of Coldplay's earlier work, sharing and discussing music and footage from the Pre-Parachutes, Parachutes, AROBTTH, X&Y and VLVODAAHF Eras !. Several people have told me it has even become their favorite part of the Coldplaying forums !

<font color="#0000ff">http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/in...ing-thread-s-bs-tbr-p-arobtth-x-y-vlv.104785/

<font color="#ff0000">If you love us, won't you let us know ? <font color="#ff8000">Vote the Oldplaying thread for Best thread of 2015 - Coldplay section !

I'd got to the stage in life when I wasn't really listening to much pop music. I'd grown up with The Beatles, Bob Dylan then Dire Straits among others..... Then - BANG ! - I saw CP singing Paradise on the Graham Norton show and I couldn't get that song out of my head. So I was straight on Google to find out all about them and , since then, I've got everything they've ever done and been to 2 concerts. They have turned me back into a teenager again ( well, mentally anyway)... talk about 'Alive Again' !

That song could have been written for me.

EDIT July 2016. Have now been to 4 concerts.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
I'd got to the stage in life when I wasn't really listening to much pop music. I'd grown up with The Beatles, Bob Dylan then Dire Straits among others..... Then - BANG ! - I saw CP singing Paradise on the Graham Norton show and I couldn't get that song out of my head. So I was straight on Google to find out all about them and , since then, I've got everything they've ever done and been to 2 concerts. They have turned me back into a teenager again ( well, mentally anyway)... talk about 'Alive Again' !

That song could have been written for me.

What a super song to be introduced to Coldplay with! And yes I agree Paradise is a very poignant song!

• 2 months later...

It was a hot, summer day 14 years ago. It was the last day of my first highschool year. I was so tired and devastated after a long year and so much studying and chasing for great grades. Finally made it. I came home and lay on my sofa with MTV turned on as usual. I was listening carefully to every song and performer hoping that I would find my treasure. I`ve always been very open to music and different styles and I easily enjoyed music. But I was hoping to find a special and precious someone, like finding a love or home, something that was meant just for me.

When In My Place started on MTV, I was like half asleep, lost somewhere in the space and universe. Right in that moment the best dream awakened me but it was real. I heard them. It was like fresh air and cold shower on that hot day, it was like an answer to my doubts and fears and reward for all my efforts. It was like finding my soulmate, best friend and family, feeling my soul alive.

From that moment until now, my love and passion for Coldplay kept growing, shaping me and leading my life.

Their lights guided me home and ignited my bones. They fixed me. They still do. Thank you, Coldplay.

• Like 6

To start from the beginning, a little more than 2 years ago I discovered my passion for music when I first discovered Spotify. Before that I only listened to music on radio and only charts music is kind of boring but when I found out how many amazing styles of music and artist there are I quickly got totally addicted to music. So I also listened to some famous artists on spotify, also Coldplay. However, for some odd reason i didn't fall in love with them instantly. I remember thinking "they seem to be a great band, but not exactly my style". There were some songs I liked, especially from ghost stories, but I didn't even like yellow or the scientist, which now are some of my favorites.

Some time around late 2015, it must have been october or november something, for some reason I decided to give coldplay's music another try when I heard adventure of a lifetime. (Funnily, I was doing math tasks for my upcoming test at that time, I still wonder if it has something to do with that haha :D )

Anyway, over like a month or so I found almost all exsisting coldplay songs and unreleased tracks and became totally obsessed with them!!! It's hard to explain, but the moment I fell in love with coldplay I knew instantly that they weren't the kind of band I would listen to for only a month or something but get absolutly obsessed with and love forever. :D

So in case you didn't know I'm a pretty new coldplay fan but doesn't mean I love them any less!!!

• Like 5

So nice to read all these stories from long-time and newer fans! :)

As a teenager I used to listen to a daily night talkshow on my local radio station when I couldn't sleep and one of the hosts loved to play mellow music from the UK during these late hours. One night I heard Trouble for the first time there and wrote down the name of the band. That was in November 2001.

I asked my dad a little later if he could download Trouble and Yellow for me. (Those, apparently, were the days where you would still ask your computer expert dad to illegally download songs from P2P networks for you. :D) I loved them both so much instantly and played them on all my bus trips to and from school in a continuous loop.

Then I bought Parachutes in a record store in Berlin in January 2002. The rest is pretty much a love story that has held its undeniable power until today.

• Like 6

Well... My dad used to listen X&Y in the car in the years 2006 or 2007, that were the first moments when I listened to Coldplay. Then I forgot them until a few years later, when I was searching for some new music... And then I remembered them. I started listening to Viva la Vida, Yellow, Clocks, and the rest of their songs. They definitely had trapped me. That was around 2010... since that year I've been a Coldplayer. Thanks dad :earmuffs:

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

There are some new people around the boards these days, so I figured I'd bump up this thread if anyone feels like sharing their story! :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I'm just curious about how you guys started to love the band...

My story is simple. I listened to their songs on the radio during all my childhood and adolescence. I liked them but that was all. Then one day in 2011 I bought MX, I don't remember why I did it haha but when I listened to it I thought: this music is so fuckin' perfect. I need this music. And that year I put the CD on every single day... it was inspiring to me. Those days I used to feel lonely, but their music made me strong. After that I started to buy their albums, and all of them were special to me in some way. Now I can't imagine a moment of my life without thinking of a Coldplay song which is related to it :)

• Like 4

I became a fan during their Mylo Xyloto era. I remember this really vividly, it literally was a "click" that triggered this thing inside my head which meant I loved them. It was November 2011 I think, and I was watching the Children In Need Rocks Manchester show, where Coldplay played Paradise and Viva. I loved the graffiti, and I loved how his singing wasn't great. From that moment, I started researching them and watching their youtube videos. I'm gonna be honest, it took me at least a year before I got through their whole discography, because I tend to skip songs I don't know.

• Like 3

my brother was a casual fan of the band. one day he came to me with his laptop and said you have to check out this cool video. it was strawberry swing. loved the video, hated the song. I dismissed him saying that its a shitty song but tbh the only reason i hated the song was because my English wasn't that good at that time and i was unable to understand what chris was saying (i was too lazy to find the lyrics) . during MX era i asked my brother for some good songs and he told me viva la vida. this time i was able to understand it and i loved it :D during that time coldplay had released the video for ETIAW and i became OBSESSED with it :p and now im, completely obsessed with the band and I don't have a single regret :p oh and btw strawberry swing is now one of my favourite coldplay/all time song

• Like 5

I remember hearing Yellow play quite often on long car rides to visit family back in 2000-2001 or so. Remember Clocks on the radio too when it was popular but was still pretty young. Was a huge fan of Speed of Sound when it came out but didn't get into Coldplay until Viva La Vida was out in high school. Was hooked after listening to their albums. Always liked the songs I heard but Viva La Vida made me a fan for life.

• Like 3

First I have to say, I had a moment when I was a passive Coldplay fan, in the MX era, It was beacause after an incredible, fantastic album like VLVODAAHF, I thought their 5th album was not good, I did not enjoy that album, even until today, but I have more love for it than before... That period of time was about a year, and later I noticed that I was not doing well, that I missed them, I was angry with my favourite band for a stupidity haha, but thanks God I re thought.

My mother gave me at 2004, for my 15th birthday 2 special gifts, one of them a new desktop, I was very happy.

Later, a technician came to my house for installing some software, and he asked me If I would like if he copy some music on it, I said yes. When I checked the music folder I found a name that was familiar (Coldplay) because at that time as a teenager I loved to spend my free time watching music videos on tv and that band was well- known.

Well, I opened the folder and I found two more folders: Parachutes an AROBTTH, that title was really odd for me, so I opened it and I saw there was a list of songs and one of them had the same name of the folder, I spent almost a week listening to that song, wow I was deeply in love with such amazing lyrics and music, later, obviously I listened to all the songs of that album and from Parachutes... and everything later is history. Here I am, loving my boys, their music and their contribution to my life :)

I love you Coldplay !

• Like 7

So my story started in November 2012. It was a time when I started to slowly discover the music, which after years became my passion and addiction. I don't know where, probably on the radio, I heard Paradise. I was so in love with this song so I decided to make my own lyric video for it and then post it on YT. The version of this track that I had, had an ultra long intro so I chose to put some of my thoughts about this song at the beginning of the video... I got really emotional but it was 3,5 year ago so... and I'd rather not imagine how stupid I was then :no: Anyway, it all turned out a little bit cheesy, and unfortunately, my classmates discovered this sh*t...

But even though my adventure of a lifetime with Coldplay started rather embarrassingly, it didn't stop me from loving this band.

After a few months I bumped into Coldplay's YT channel looked through it. After I heard Violet Hill I already knew that it's going to be something huge.

I would have never imagined being here and writing in English as used to hate this language... Coldplay changed me completely :rolleyes2:

Thank you all for creating this amazing place!

• Like 5

I first heard Speed of Sound when it was a cover on one of the Kidz Bop CD's (which is a horrible cover), however I didn't know at the time that it was Coldplay. Fast forward to 2011, during the beginning of my Freshman year of high school, I took a beginning course for piano and around the same time our high school jazz band was going to play an original arrangement of Paradise. The piano player in the jazz band was also in the same class as I was and he would practice and play other Coldplay songs such as The Scientist, Clocks, etc. So I decided to look up Coldplay on YouTube and I had instantly remembered all of their singles, I first listened to Viva La Vida and went, "Oh my god, I remember this song", so after I looked them up I started to learn how to play their music on both guitar and piano. Apparently I had just forgotten all about them until I looked them up. I've been hooked ever since!

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

I came across this today and remembered how i got into Coldplay!

a year ago, before watching this video, i had only listened to three coldplay songs: VLV Christmas Lights and Paradise, all because i heard VLV one day randomly on a music app, (thought what a great song with great lyrics and meaning) and checked some other songs out. But never get too interested in them(or any other musicians)

Then bang! i saw this video somewhere, and was Very much moved, for the first time feeling like listening to an album from start to finish, listened to GS as a whole(enjoyably), and totally got into Coldplay since. (AND yes this opened the door of rock music or music in general for me too :laugh4:) i liked this video so much that im still familiar with the way they sang some lines from dozens times of playing. :laugh4: Thank you for introducing me to the wonderfulness of Coldplay

• Like 4