🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

Ask the Oracle on Coldplay.com (Now in session!)

January 10, 2012 - submitted by Celeste, United States of America

Q. Oh Oracle I need your help. In early December I bought tickets as a present for my boyfriend. We broke up a week later and it wasn't a bad break up. BUT! Lately he's been being a jerk and not a really good friend. The tickets are under my name and they check i.d's. Do I still ask him to go with me to the concert that is in a few weeks, or do I find someone else to go with? I feel bad asking someone else to go with because they were initially for someone else. I hope all this wording made sense and that you can try helping me! Thank you!

The Oracle replies:

Well I have to say that if you buy something for someone as a gift it'd normally be bad form to renege on it. Although... you don't want to be going to a Coldplay concert with someone who has been behaving like an arse either so in this case I would say it's totally acceptable to tell him that you've had a change of heart. Take someone you like who's a good friend and have a great time!

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

January 10, 2012 - submitted by Moz, United States of America

Q. Hi Oracle,

I would like to propose to my girlfriend on stage at the Coldplay concert in Los Angeles, CA May 1, 2012. What do I need to do to make this happen? Coldplay is her #1 all time band and it would be such a special occasion and dream for us. Think about it! Thanks.

The Oracle replies:

Would you believe you're the 3rd person to ask me the very same question today? That means the answer to you (& the other 2 - and anyone else in fact) is no.

I'm sorry but thought I should point out how difficult it is to grant personal requests or dedications. That doesn't mean you can't propose at the show but it won't be possible to have the band's involvement. Good luck to you all.

I wonder which gig has had the most number of proposals?

January 10, 2012 - submitted by gina, United Kingdom

Q. Around 2000-2002 Coldplay gave away a free cd in a national UK Sunday paper.

It was about 4 tracks, one of which I loved but they never released.

Do you know what the cd and the track list was please. Been driving me nuts trying to YouTube it!!!

Many thanks

Gina.

The Oracle replies:

Indeed they did, I remember it well. In 2000 the Independent on Sunday gave away Acoustic, a CD with 4 tracks (& 1 video).

The track listing is:

Sparks

Careful Where You Stand

Yellow (Acoustic version)

See You Soon

The Oracle replies:

Would you believe you're the 3rd person to ask me the very same question today? That means the answer to you (& the other 2 - and anyone else in fact) is no.

I'm sorry but thought I should point out how difficult it is to grant personal requests or dedications. That doesn't mean you can't propose at the show but it won't be possible to have the band's involvement. Good luck to you all.

I wonder which gig has had the most number of proposals?

yeah okay I'm just going to post this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J4JsjBza24]Coldplay marriage proposal - Newcastle December 20, 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

January 11, 2012 - submitted by Leah, Canada

Q. I have tickets in front of the X stage for Toronto's July show. How many songs does the band usually do on this stage?

The Oracle replies:

Generally they do 2-3 songs on the X stage. Don't forget the protrusion is at the end of a catwalk that is used a lot by Chris mostly, but also Jonny. You'll have a great view of those moments as well as a good vista via the screens positioned around the venue.

January 11, 2012 - submitted by Andrew, United States of America

Q. When I went to my first Coldplay concert at the Verizon wireless amphitheater in Irvine, California, the band moved stages three during their set. Meaning, they had two mini stages set up in the audience, which were more like raised platforms. On these mini stages, the band played their cover of Billie Jean and also did some acoustic songs. I was wondering if this was just special to the Viva tour, or to the Irvine venue, or if the band is planning on doing the stages in the audience thing in the future. It was truly memorable because I was able to be five feet away from them while they were playing on one of the stages.

The Oracle replies:

It always amazes me when I get two similar questions in quick succession. I think our fans have psychic powers!

See the last question I answered about the X stage (previously known as the B stage).

There hasn't been a C stage (the part where the band went right to the back of the venue and performed from within the audience) so far on the MX tour. I don't think it will be making an appearance.

January 11, 2012 - submitted by Trevor, United States of America

Q. What does Coldplay do with their unreleased songs? Do they destroy them or do they put in a vault?

The Oracle replies:

They're not Prince; there is no vault. They don't "destroy" unreleased songs, they are safely stored. As you may know, some songs that were written years ago can become reincarnated or parts of them used on other songs in the future.

January 12, 2012 - submitted by Eirik, Norway

Q. How did you feel when you found out that Thierry Henry is going to return to Arsenal on loan?

The Oracle replies:

I couldn't care less to be honest, although Dan (our trainer) is an Arsenal fan, the rest of the band aren't so I doubt they care too much either.

January 12, 2012 - submitted by Naomi Marshall, United States of America

Q. So... the Coldplay Greatest Hits album that has been circulating in the stores from about 4 months ago, is it official?

It says, Parlophone on the sleeve and all, just wondering :)

The Oracle replies:

Stores? Parlophone logo? Hmm this is very fishy. There is NO official Greatest Hits album. If there was a) we'd have announced it and b) it would be in our Recordings section and as you can see, it isn't.

January 12, 2012 - submitted by Adam, United Kingdom

Q. As there are no questions to do with Will's nose, answer me this which member of the band has the largest nose (go and measure them if you have to) oh and while you're there tell them the 4th December Manchester show was amazing and I'm still wearing my wristband.

The Oracle replies:

I'm not entirely sure whether you're serious so I am assuming you're joking. Either way I am NOT going to measure the band member's noses or indeed have a close look to see who has the largest schnozzle.

WARNING: Grumpy alert. Hmm, Adam, why don't you take the wristband off? It's not a watch or a bracelet and has absolutely no use at all.

I'm so sorry but my pet hate is seeing someone in the summer wearing several festival wristbands like a badge of honour. It's not hygienic either. Put it somewhere safe as a keepsake by all means...

January 12, 2012 - submitted by Adam, United Kingdom

Q. As there are no questions to do with Will's nose, answer me this which member of the band has the largest nose (go and measure them if you have to) oh and while you're there tell them the 4th December Manchester show was amazing and I'm still wearing my wristband.

The Oracle replies:

I'm not entirely sure whether you're serious so I am assuming you're joking. Either way I am NOT going to measure the band member's noses or indeed have a close look to see who has the largest schnozzle.

WARNING: Grumpy alert. Hmm, Adam, why don't you take the wristband off? It's not a watch or a bracelet and has absolutely no use at all.

I'm so sorry but my pet hate is seeing someone in the summer wearing several festival wristbands like a badge of honour. It's not hygienic either. Put it somewhere safe as a keepsake by all means...

Geez. :thinking: I guess it's good that at least she admits when she's grumpy.

January 12, 2012 - submitted by Adam, United Kingdom[/color][/b]

The Oracle replies:

I thought this was really out of line--it was clearly a joke, and even if it wasn't, it didn't deserve that, and I feel like several other questions have been snarkily-answered lately. If you're going to answer questions publicly for a website, you either have to deal with the silly questions properly or delete them. Being grumpy isn't an excuse for snapping at a stranger for being a bit jokey, especially when you've willingly signed on to do something like this.

I thought this was really out of line--it was clearly a joke, and even if it wasn't, it didn't deserve that, and I feel like several other questions have been snarkily-answered lately. If you're going to answer questions publicly for a website, you either have to deal with the silly questions properly or delete them. Being grumpy isn't an excuse for snapping at a stranger for being a bit jokey, especially when you've willingly signed on to do something like this.

^ ALL OF THIS!

Well said, Chelsea :clap:

^ ALL OF THIS!

Well said, Chelsea :clap:

Thanks Mel :wacky: (how are you, by the way!?)

I just got a bit more annoyed at this because I do a very similar thing as The Oracle does on a website about The Strokes (though all the questions pertain to the band, we don't do random life-problem questions), and I try my best to NEVER like that to a question-asker. I delete the especially ridiculous/prying ones and carry on with the rest, and try to answer even the most noob-ish questions politely. I don't mean to say I should be the standard or anything, but my point is that if you're offering your services to a big website, you can't troll people, you can't make it personal, and you can't act like the people asking you things are dolts.

January 11, 2012 - submitted by Leah, Canada[/color][/b]

Q. I have tickets in front of the X stage for Toronto's July show. How many songs does the band usually do on this stage?

The Oracle replies:

Generally they do 2-3 songs on the X stage. Don't forget the protrusion is at the end of a catwalk that is used a lot by Chris mostly, but also Jonny. You'll have a great view of those moments as well as a good vista via the screens positioned around the venue.

this was my question - now I'm worried if the Oracle is implying that I won't be able to see the main stage very well (and only see Coldplay when they are on the x stage or the screens) I am reading too much into this? Anyone else ever sit in front of the x stage? :thinking:

I've noticed that the oracle seems to be a bit of a ****! Answers questions rudely and sarcastically. And what is the point in asking or answering non-Coldplay questions? There are other sites for that and we don't read the oracle for them, it's ridiculous. Last point, why bother answering questions you have a pointless answer for like the recent Arsenal FC one (which was another stupid question which should be asked some where more relevant.). Rant over.

Personally, I'm grateful that she does her job. She doesn't have to, and many bands don't. At least she admits when she's grumpy, and that makes her more human. She's also answered some very deep, heart-felt questions. It's a stressful time for her and everyone with the new release and tour planning, even though they're on break.Cheer up, Debs!:D

Personally, I'm grateful that she does her job. She doesn't have to, and many bands don't. At least she admits when she's grumpy, and that makes her more human. She's also answered some very deep, heart-felt questions. It's a stressful time for her and everyone with the new release and tour planning, even though they're on break.Cheer up, Debs!:D

HAPPY MEMBER OF THE MONTH TRACIE! :P

this was my question - now I'm worried if the Oracle is implying that I won't be able to see the main stage very well (and only see Coldplay when they are on the x stage or the screens) I am reading too much into this? Anyone else ever sit in front of the x stage? :thinking:

No no, you'll be able to see the main stage as well, although since the X-Stage extends farer away from the stage, that might affect your viewing angle, but you'll be fine.

There's live amateur video on youtube from the American Express concert in Spain

EXACTLY THIS.

I've noticed that the oracle seems to be a bit of a ****! Answers questions rudely and sarcastically. And what is the point in asking or answering non-Coldplay questions? There are other sites for that and we don't read the oracle for them, it's ridiculous. Last point, why bother answering questions you have a pointless answer for like the recent Arsenal FC one (which was another stupid question which should be asked some where more relevant.). Rant over.

I agree, I hate the questions unrelated to Coldplay. I don't care about the relationship issues of random strangers. It's not an Ask Alice column.

Actually, I don't think Debs has much at all to do with any kind of planning in regards to the band. She has nothing to be stressed out about in that regard. And you can't excuse rudeness with being "human," at least not when it's rudeness that millions of people could potentially see. It sends a bad message.

January 13, 2012 - submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

Q. WHO'D LIKE TO JOIN TEAM ORACLE?

When I answer questions of a personal nature, Coldplay.com readers often get in touch with their own thoughts. So, we now have a weekly feature, Team Oracle, whereby each Friday (with the question asker's permission) we open up a question to all of you to answer too. Then, the following Friday, I'll post a selection of the best answers, alongside my own reply.

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before Thursday 19th January.

I have a problem. I'm in love with my best friend's sister. My friends told me that it will be better if tell him the truth that something was going between us, when I did he say he was fine but after while he start stopping inviting me to his house (which a went like 3 times a week) and stop talking to me so did other friends of my that were close to him. So I decide it was not worth losing my friends for even though that I have not felt so in love with anyone else.

Did I make the right choice? What should I do if I still love her? Jorge, Ecuador.

Look forward to seeing your replies.

The Oracle

The Oracle replies:

Please email your replies to [email protected]

Thanks Mel :wacky: (how are you, by the way!?)

I just got a bit more annoyed at this because I do a very similar thing as The Oracle does on a website about The Strokes (though all the questions pertain to the band, we don't do random life-problem questions), and I try my best to NEVER like that to a question-asker. I delete the especially ridiculous/prying ones and carry on with the rest, and try to answer even the most noob-ish questions politely. I don't mean to say I should be the standard or anything, but my point is that if you're offering your services to a big website, you can't troll people, you can't make it personal, and you can't act like the people asking you things are dolts.

Exactly.

I think that people send in silly questions (like the one Adam sent in about their noses) because it's pretty clear that she won't be answering most of the serious ones. Time and again we've been told that it'll be posted on the website when and if something is made official. At this point maybe she needs to just stick to the relationship type questions because they really seem to be the ones she answers the best with the least amount of snark.

(I'm good, thanks! Love your Elesiggie :wacky:)