Top Posters In This Topic

• мaямellata

• Carla

• rudy_o

• Pseudonym

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Cited Reference

"School districts across America are dealing with the struggle to keep pace with education around the world. Perhaps it is time to examine a minor mystery which has major consequences. Somehow children in some Asian countries and throughout Europe are high achievers in basic education (elementary and secondary school) and make us ashamed of our American school systems. These same learners flock to America to attend our universities and earn degrees. This raises the question: How is it that we cannot prepare our young people at elementary and secondary levels to successfully compete in universities which are valued so highly by foreign students? It would seem that someone in America must know something about education. Our elementary and secondary teachers are trained in those same hallowed halls, but whatever they learn seems to be lost before they reach the classrooms, the very same classrooms where we expect them to work.

Perhaps there is a difference between American education and American educational systems. If the problem is American education, then we need to really examine curriculum and pedagogy. We need to decide how to change what is taught and how it is taught. If the problem is the educational systems, then we need to take a look at what happens to prevent the teaching of valuable content that will carry our students where we would like to see them go. Looking at the content of foreign school systems and comparing that content with our schools would indicate that the problem is not with the subjects taught. To a degree, the content is consistent to a level that allows foreign students to transition into our higher levels of learning without serious problems. This takes us to considering teaching methods. If the methods used in other countries are more effective than our methods, then we need to change, or at least improve, the ways we teach. Personally, I find many problems in the methods we use. Teachers are turned loose to do as they wish in far too many classrooms. Sometimes they mirror the treatment they received in school; sometimes they do what they have done for many years without beneficial change. In some schools, the notion of continued professional development is ignored; and instead of seeking improved performance, mediocre performance is rewarded by promotion to decision- making positions.

Educational leaders are found pandering to money and politics rather than performing their duties in the best interests of the students. Competency in the classroom is rewarded with unfair criticism and no encouragement from administration. In response to this, teachers are left to depend on labor unions to try to secure their futures; and the only entities that benefit are the unions. Professional commitment is pushed aside in favor of basic survival.

It seems to me that if we are to bring our school systems up to a desirable level of performance and properly prepare American learners to compete in higher education and, ultimately, in the global workplace, we need to take a close look at what works in some other school systems and make difficult decisions about real change. We need to prepare for and institute real reform in education."

yey for articles.

Would be so kind as to share the cited reference for the above quote. I found the same wording at various points with another individual, who stated that it came from noted researcher: Thomas Murray. However, I am unable to narrow down which T. Murray said this. Any insight that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

To note: I found the essay at http://drum.lib.umd.edu/bitstream/1903/12415/2/Omahen_Research%20Paper.pdf

I am currently working on my doctorate dissertation and need to properly cite the material accordingly.

Cheers :cool:

• 11 months later...