✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Driver fined for blowing his nose... by same PC who ticketed man for dropping £10

mc_squared

Driver fined for blowing his nose... by same PC who ticketed man for dropping £10

By Paul Sims

Last updated at 9:04 AM on 29th January 2010

When motorist Michael Mancini found himself stuck in a queue of traffic with a runny nose, he instinctively reached for his hankie.

However, the simple act of pulling out a tissue and blowing his nose earned him a £60 on-the-spot fine because he was 'not in proper control of his vehicle'.

Policeman Stuart Gray, nicknamed PC Shiny Buttons for his zealous approach to the job, also handed out three points - even though Mr Mancini had his handbrake on.

article-1246662-080F5F5E000005DC-819_468x671.jpg Shocked: Michael Mancini was given a £60 fine for blowing his nose while at the wheel of his van

Now Mr Mancini, a 39-year-old father-of-two, faces a potentially expensive legal battle to clear his name after vowing not to pay the fine.

He is the latest victim of PC Gray, who is no stranger to controversy.

A few months ago, the officer issued a £50 fixed penalty for littering to unemployed Stewart Smith, who accidentally dropped a £10 note in the street as he left a shop.

Last night Mr Mancini spoke of his disbelief at his experience.

'I was just completely gobsmacked,' the furniture restorer said. 'I thought it was some kind of Beadle's About moment - a wind-up.

'I made sure it was safe. The traffic was nose to tail in the high street.

'We came to a complete stop and I thought that was quite a good time to blow my nose.

'I stopped the van and put the handbrake on. The traffic moved on and I was waved across by an officer.

'I still had the tissue in my hand and was stunned when he said I was getting a fixed-penalty notice. Surely it would have been more dangerous to drive with a blocked nose?'

article-1246662-080FDF8F000005DC-212_224x423.jpg

article-1246662-081023AD000005DC-531_224x423.jpg

Offbeat: Mr Mancini has vowed to go to court after PC Stuart Gray, known as PC Shiny Buttons for his officious approach, handed him the penalty notice

He faces a trial at Ayr District Court over the alleged traffic offence in the town in October.

His solicitor, Peter Lockhart, wrote to the procurator fiscal on January 18, explaining the circumstances.

A day later Mr Mancini received a letter warning him that if he continued to refuse to pay the fine he would be ordered to go to court.

Mr Lockhart said: 'In the letter we sent I said, "it should have been obvious to the officers what was going on and it beggars belief a ticket was issued".

article-1246662-080F7E3A000005DC-440_468x416.jpg Not in proper control of vehicle: Michael Mancini's parking ticket

'I also wrote, "we cannot see, given the circumstances of this case, that it is in the public interest".'

Mr Lockhart-said he was waiting to hear if a court date has been set but added: 'We will be pleading not guilty and will fight it all the way.'

Last night, a police source said: 'Total nonsense like this is the very opposite of good policing. This officer is known as PC Shiny Buttons for his lack of common sense approach to the job.

'It is supposed to be about serving and protecting the public - not embarking on some petty power trip.'

Strathclyde Police confirmed: 'A 39-year-old man is the subject of a report to the procurator fiscal in connection with an alleged traffic offence on October 26.'

The case echoes that of salesman Keith Pemberton, from Cheshire, who was also fined £60 and given points for eating a sandwich at the wheel in March 2007.

In 2008, Ediri Tsekiri was fined £60 and given points in Liverpool for not being in control of her vehicle. She was also eating a sandwich.

Gary Saunders was stopped in the same city for laughing while driving last March.