✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Six reasons why I don’t buy CDs at the store anymore…

brookeburkesluvr

1. easier to preview tracks online rather than drive to the store and wait for an open listening station

2. running out of storage space for all the CDs I bought just for 1 or 2 tracks each

3. I never know what the store has in stock and what they don't and it's a pain to try and find specific CDs in some of these places where their alphabetical tabs have all been moved around out of order

4. expensive ~ I pay less $ for each track online, and don't have to pay for the tracks I don't want. I'm tired of spending over $20 bucks for a 10-12 song disc with maybe 2 or 3 tracks that I actually like.

5. It just saves time and it's so much easier. Plain and simple.

6. Car listening. Whether you're using a 1 disc player or a 10-disc CD changer in the car, you know what I mean when I say that it's far better to have compilation discs loaded in with songs you like on them. Having a car filled with CDs that you have to change over frequently is a hassle (and sometimes a hazard)

So, I’ve finally come to the point of concluding that I’d rather do my music shopping online than to physically go to the store. I'm curious to know how many other people are following this trend now, and what service has been the best for you. I don't have any interest in the file-sharing services, primarily because they're illegal and artists get cheated out of their rightful share. Just subscription-based ones like the following;

BEST BUY's Digital Music Service ~ http://www.bestbuy.com/rhapsody

Press Play ~ http://www.pressplay.com/

i-Tunes ~ http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Buymusic.com ~ http://www.buymusic.com/

i refuse to buy songs online, i have and always will purchase real cds. if everyone stops then the format will disappear completely. if there are no more cds things like cd booklets will disappear, having a cd booklet is part of the fun of buying a cd.

i hope not many people follow what you do, i hope compact discs aren't a thing of the past.

[glow=red:1514b6509b]I'm with Brooke here; I usually buy my cd/songs online because it's so much easier and cheaper! I'm very sick of spending $20 on a cd and only liking one of the songs. That's happened far too often to me. I see no reason why I should go all the way to the store, spend more money, and that's IF they have the one I want when I can get whatever I want in minutes while sitting in my living room. It's just a better way to do it. [/glow:1514b6509b]

I don't have any interest in the file-sharing services, primarily because they're illegal and artists get cheated out of their rightful share

thats ridiculous the artists dont get cheated out of money by the people who download stuff its the record companies that cheat the artists. i'll buy cds but if i can find it on kazaa i'll get it through there. i havent bought a cd in like a year ahah. but anyways why would you want to listen to 30 seconds of the song when you can get the whole thing on a file share service? its always the bad 30 seconds of the song anyway but you may like it if you hear the whole thing...

am i the only one that thinks like this?

Well you only listen to the 30 seconds to see if you wanna buy the song,to see if you like it 1st. And if everyone is downloading music thru file sharing, then obvioulsy no one is paying for the music and the artists don't get any money for the songs they spent so much time and money making. If the artists don't get money, the artists go bye-bye like Mariah Carey

Who cares. The artists are all too rich anyway, they're still living in mansions even though millions of people download music for free from Kazaa or wherever, they still live in luxury, etc... Basically, If I find a CD I like, I will buy it, simply because I'm an audiophile and I CAN tell the difference between a factory recorded CD and an MP3. If I can burn a copy of the factory recorded CD, I wouldn't buy it. Also, some artists are now putting copy protections on their music which is painfully easy to crack! :lol:

1. easier to preview tracks online rather than drive to the store and wait for an open listening station

2. running out of storage space for all the CDs I bought just for 1 or 2 tracks each

3. I never know what the store has in stock and what they don't and it's a pain to try and find specific CDs in some of these places where their alphabetical tabs have all been moved around out of order

4. expensive ~ I pay less $ for each track online, and don't have to pay for the tracks I don't want. I'm tired of spending over $20 bucks for a 10-12 song disc with maybe 2 or 3 tracks that I actually like.

5. It just saves time and it's so much easier. Plain and simple.

6. Car listening. Whether you're using a 1 disc player or a 10-disc CD changer in the car, you know what I mean when I say that it's far better to have compilation discs loaded in with songs you like on them. Having a car filled with CDs that you have to change over frequently is a hassle (and sometimes a hazard)

So, I’ve finally come to the point of concluding that I’d rather do my music shopping online than to physically go to the store. I'm curious to know how many other people are following this trend now, and what service has been the best for you. I don't have any interest in the file-sharing services, primarily because they're illegal and artists get cheated out of their rightful share. Just subscription-based ones like the following;

BEST BUY's Digital Music Service ~ http://www.bestbuy.com/rhapsody

Press Play ~ http://www.pressplay.com/

i-Tunes ~ http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Buymusic.com ~ http://www.buymusic.com/

This post is strange.

This is the person's first ever post. Did they just respond to an ongoing topic? No. They created a new thread. Is the thread something passive like "I like chris" or "My favorite song is The Scientist"? No. It's a political thread. What's more, it's a political thread that's essentially advocating, if not selling, services.

I find this all very suspicious.

Well you only listen to the 30 seconds to see if you wanna buy the song' date='to see if you like it 1st. And if everyone is downloading music thru file sharing, then obvioulsy no one is paying for the music and the artists don't get any money for the songs they spent so much time and money making. If the artists don't get money, the artists go bye-bye like Mariah Carey[/quote']

If CDs were affordable and people still elected to download that's one thing. CDs are grossly voerpriced and I know a lot of people who downloaded not because they were unwilling to pay any price but because they're unwilling to pay that price. And now rather than the record industry adjust to the market and lower their prices to start to compete they've simply done something to alienate their patrons.

Well you only listen to the 30 seconds to see if you wanna buy the song' date='to see if you like it 1st. And if everyone is downloading music thru file sharing, then obvioulsy no one is paying for the music and the artists don't get any money for the songs they spent so much time and money making. If the artists don't get money, the artists go bye-bye like Mariah Carey[/quote']

If CDs were affordable and people still elected to download that's one thing. CDs are grossly voerpriced and I know a lot of people who downloaded not because they were unwilling to pay any price but because they're unwilling to pay that price. And now rather than the record industry adjust to the market and lower their prices to start to compete they've simply done something to alienate their patrons.

I totaly agree. Music is overpriced. Even if artists charged $5.00 per album instead of $15-25, they'd be well off for the rest of their lives, so why do they all have to be so damn greedy?

I totaly agree. Music is overpriced. Even if artists charged $5.00 per album instead of $15-25, they'd be well off for the rest of their lives, so why do they all have to be so damn greedy?

Well, it's more the labels than the artists. People are alwyas like "You're hurting the artists. You're hurting the artists." While yes, the artists get less money, the people who are really losing are the labels.

From what I understand, a typical contract an artist will have with their label will give them "points" off the backend. Translation: for each "point" and artist gets, they get a percentage of the profit from the sales. Usually for an unproven band the number of points is very low (around 3, though this is negotiated). The artist only makes money after the label recoups all money from advertising, promotions, production, video costs, and otehr miscellaneous costs that went into the record. This stuff adds up quick. For example, TLC went multi-platinum with their first album but only made about $40,000 each after all expenses were paid and the label took their share.

So when you say the artists are getting hurt ... that's true but it's also a red herring. The labels are the ones that are getting hurt. The corporations. They throw the artist's names out there because you can identify with the artist. You won't want to think you're taking money from your faavorite band. In truth, all of these artists make a TON more money through their live performances than from record sales.

This is exactly why you don't see artists all pissed about downloading. Metallica was mad and sued. Dr. Dre was made an sued. Well, they own their own labels. That's why they were mad: they were the corporations.

Rather than the corporations just saying "this downloading craze is partically our fault because we drove up the price" they've come after their own consumers.

You people are missing the point, if you always download music and never purchase it there will be no reason for CDs to be made. There are some musicians that are very wealthy and have more money than they know what to do with, but there are still smaller indie bands that need people to buy their albums to get more popular.

BUY CDs.

Don't you like holding a real CD opposed to a burned one? Don't you like reading a CD booklet and looking for lyrics and pictures and all that? It's a dying art form and I will be so sad if it goes extinct!

In truth' date=' all of these artists make a TON more money through their live performances than from record sales.[/quote']

Yes but how many people refuse to go to live performances because they are too expensive. People complain CDs are too expensive, people complain that live performances are too expensive, people complain band merch is too expensive...

so but don't you like a little more spending money in your pcket...verses buying a cd u only like 2 songs on?

well obviously, but my point is if everyone stops buying music owning a real cd is going to go into museums and can be a story we will tell our grandchildren. i think of it as an artform, been passed from owning cds to owning casettes to owning vinyl records. it will be such a shame if it disappears.

yes i will agree that cds can be expensive, but i would imagine it was not much different comparitavely from let's say the 1970s with vinyl records.

You people are missing the point, if you always download music and never purchase it there will be no reason for CDs to be made. There are some musicians that are very wealthy and have more money than they know what to do with, but there are still smaller indie bands that need people to buy their albums to get more popular.

BUY CDs.

Don't you like holding a real CD opposed to a burned one? Don't you like reading a CD booklet and looking for lyrics and pictures and all that? It's a dying art form and I will be so sad if it goes extinct!

No, I think you're missing the point.

There are very few people who want to get rid of CDs. Nobody is "never" going to purchase a CD. If CDs were cheaper, more in line with their cost, people would buy them.

You can't take an assymetrical hypothetical like never buying CDs, extrapolate it and call it a viable argument.

In truth' date=' all of these artists make a TON more money through their live performances than from record sales.[/quote']

Yes but how many people refuse to go to live performances because they are too expensive. People complain CDs are too expensive, people complain that live performances are too expensive, people complain band merch is too expensive...

They're all separate issues.

yes i will agree that cds can be expensive, but i would imagine it was not much different comparitavely from let's say the 1970s with vinyl records.

I don't know if this is true or not. It may be. But even if it is this is not justification.

reasons i buy cd's at the store:

1. i can tell the difference between a cd-quality track and an mp3

2. i like having artwork, production credits, etc

3. i actually listen to entire albums and not just the radio songs

4. i usually am not looking for something specific; i like browsing and checking out new things on a whim

5. most of the artists i listen to are NOT living in a mansion lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills, and most of them are NOT on major labels that pay them a dollar for every cd they sell (which is the going rate for most major label artists, not 12 cents or whatever some people would have you believe). if you've ever seen godspeed you! black emperor's touring caravan (including 9 band members, all their equipment and several technicians that they pay for) you'd buy their albums instead of downloading them.

a little something about basic capitalistic concepts:

the actual cd may indeed cost one dollar to produce. however, it's not as simple as that. things that also need to be paid for:

- recording studio time for these bands

- royalties to band members for the actual composition

- royalties to band members and whoever was involved in the recording process for the sound recording

- promotion

- in-store displays and whatnot

also, if a record store wants to sell, say, the new radiohead album, they have to buy the cd's from the record label, then charge more than that so that they don't immediately go out of business. it sounds almost painfully obvious, but some people fail to realize that.