✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Major Minus: LISTENING PARTY! Countdown to Thursday 23rd June, 9pm (BST)

busybeeburns

- Its Will singing on the back.

- The live version vocals sound better.

- The studio version sound is more powerfull

- The "UHHH" part sounds better in the studio version.

- The instrumental of the song is epic !

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to it on Radio 1 first then Absolute after, first listen I was thinking vocals sound a bit strange but it made sense after I knew it was Chris AND Will, obviously noted the amount of production but still loving it, gets better after every listen, loving Jonny's guitar :D

To add to that paranoia vibe of Major Minus . . . I think the lyrics just before Jonny starts his solo are 'I hear them climbing the steps / I got my right side fighting while my left hides under the chairs'

If that doesn't spell paranoia then I don't know what does :P

This tekst kind of reminds me of Spies :wacko:

And the music reminds me of Cemeteries Of London

Weak. The live version sounds 1000 times better. What the hell did they do to Chris' voice? Seems like a duet (with Will?), but still, way too reduced and awkwardly distorted. The acoustic guitar in the beginning sounds so weak, live it's way more, well, full. The solo sounds a lot less incredible in this studio version too. Plus the unneeded additional effects at the end make it sound really bad. And do I hear Chris singing out of tune around the falsetto part ("I got my...")?

Another disappointment I guess, but unlike ETIAW this is really a good song. The production just kind of ruined it. I don't know what the hell they're playing at. Would the producers know that Coldplay sounds a lot better when they do it the natural way? If they want this to make it to the album, they've still got a lot of work to do.

Weak. The live version sounds 1000 times better. What the hell did they do to Chris' voice? Seems like a duet (with Will?), but still, way too reduced and awkwardly distorted. The acoustic guitar in the beginning sounds so weak, live it's way more, well, full. The solo sounds a lot less incredible in this studio version too. Plus the unneeded additional effects at the end make it sound really bad. And do I hear Chris singing out of tune around the falsetto part ("I got my...")?

Another disappointment I guess, but unlike ETIAW this is really a good song. The production just kind of ruined it. I don't know what the hell they're playing at. Would the producers know that Coldplay sounds a lot better when they do it the natural way? If they want this to make it to the album, they've still got a lot of work to do.

Guest LiquidSky

I just finished listening to Major Minus and I like it better than every teardrop is a waterfall :wink:

So . . . I've been going back and forth for the past few minutes (you guys can probably tell :P )

When I heard the live version I was like 'Yes! THIS is a song that finally may out A Rush Of Blood To The Head as my favorite song. THIS is why I love Coldplay, because THIS SONG is made of everything epic.'

It got me so excited for the album, and I've played the Rock am Ring version easily a hundred times on my iPod because it is just. So. Awesome.

But now . . . it definitely won't be taking top honors over ARoBttH, it may not even make it onto my Favorites playlist in iTunes.

Nice song, guys, I'll listen to it probably more times than necessary, I'm glad that you're experimenting with your sound and all that, but please limit it to your SOUND, not vocals. Your vocals are too stunning to be jerked around with.

So . . . I've been going back and forth for the past few minutes (you guys can probably tell :P )

When I heard the live version I was like 'Yes! THIS is a song that finally may out A Rush Of Blood To The Head as my favorite song. THIS is why I love Coldplay, because THIS SONG is made of everything epic.'

It got me so excited for the album, and I've played the Rock am Ring version easily a hundred times on my iPod because it is just. So. Awesome.

But now . . . it definitely won't be taking top honors over ARoBttH, it may not even make it onto my Favorites playlist in iTunes.

Nice song, guys, I'll listen to it probably more times than necessary, I'm glad that you're experimenting with your sound and all that, but please limit it to your SOUND, not vocals. Your vocals are too stunning to be jerked around with.

I agree. I posted my previous comment twice so everyone can see.

Nah kidding, but hell, the live version sounds even more fucking amazing now.

same, I thought this was really coldplay going back to AROBTTH days, but as for now I will have to continue listening to the live version.

However, all is not lost for the album, as this may only be a b-side and not actually make it to lp5. So effectively, this is them saying "its a b side, we might as well experiment!"

I hope LP5 dosent have these vocals, otherwise the album would be too hard to listen too!

Guest howyousawtheworld
Lol, my comment about the Chris and Will on vocals on the official youtube vid has the most likes :P

So it's YOU who is the United fan who's got the highest rated comment!

Bah!!

To be quite frank, I have never found Chris's vocals "stunning" like most of you. In fact, I've always thought his voice was somewhat average (go ahead, lynch me :P). That said, the vocal effects/duet on this song are a very nice change. It doesn't sound like anything they've done before, and that's a good thing.

As for the instrumental...I would only change two things. In the live version, during the guitar crunches, the rest of the band didn't drop out suddenly like in the studio version. It feels kind of jarring the way they recorded it, I liked it better when Chris did the crunches over the rest of the band's continuous playing. It was far smoother that way. Secondly, during Jonny's solo at the end, I would bring forward his guitar in the mix and put a lot more echo on there. It's a spine-chilling part live, but it gets lost in the mix at the end of the studio version.

7.5 / 10

To be quite frank, I have never found Chris's vocals "stunning" like most of you. In fact, I've always thought his voice was somewhat average (go ahead, lynch me :P). That said, the vocal effects/duet on this song are a very nice change. It doesn't sound like anything they've done before, and that's a good thing.

As for the instrumental...I would only change two things. In the live version, during the guitar crunches, the rest of the band didn't drop out suddenly like in the studio version. It feels kind of jarring the way they recorded it, I liked it better when Chris did the crunches over the rest of the band's continuous playing. It was far smoother that way. Secondly, during Jonny's solo at the end, I would bring forward his guitar in the mix and put a lot more echo on there. It's a spine-chilling part live, but it gets lost in the mix at the end of the studio version.

7.5 / 10

Reply/Statement

Good post. Very very good post.

Thank you very much! And thanks to everyone else who agreed with me! I just don't like that people give the song a tough time just because they did something with his voice without possibly considering that it might be there for an actual purpose other than merely to make his voice sound different. And for those who did consider this but still don't like it, fair enough. It is your opinion, after all. I just wanted to add perspective to what's going on with his voice in this song.

But something to realize and keep in mind is that bands try and progress, changing their sound and style over time, in order to keep things fresh, alive, and new. The hardcore fans of their earlier music may find it hard to embrace the new material, and those who came into the picture around the "X&Y"/"Viva La Vida" eras may find it easier. And this is understandable. "Parachutes" was so stripped down and simple in its sound and was easy to listen to. "A Rush of Blood to the Head" was similar, but a bit heavier with a little bit going on in each piece. Of course, the rest is history. But we have to allow bands (Coldplay, in this case) to progress with their music how they wish, whether we like it or not. I don't say this because I think your opinion is irrelevant, but because it is crucial to their creativity, morale, and passion to write music in the first place. If they keep writing the same style music over and over again, they will wear out fast and grow tired of it and would probably just stop playing all together, and I don't think any of us want that to happen... I know this because I, too, am a musician who has been writing music for a few years, and I can tell you that if I didn't change things up every now and then, I'd be bored out of my mind!

So, for the sake of the band's creative health and passion, just let them do what they're trying to do, and it's very possible that one day in the future when they've experimented with everything they possibly can, they'll come back with an album of very stripped-down, simple music that will regain the love and care of the fans of their older material and will still satisfy the needs of the fans of their newer material. U2 did this before, remember? After "Joshua Tree"/"Rattle and Hum", they released "Achtung! Baby", "Zooropa", and "Pop", all of which were VERY different from their previous works (in good ways and bad ways), but at the start of the new decade (2000), they released "All That You Can't Leave Behind", which saw a U2 returning to a very stripped down sound that was refreshing and satisfying to fans of all eras of U2's music. They were able to go through an interesting phase in the 1990's and do what they wanted, and then were able to go back to writing the stripped down music that we know and love. Just as they've done this, I imagine Coldplay will too. Don't give up hope on Coldplay ever writing simple music ever again. It will happen. Just let them experiment and try to enjoy the ride along the way. if you don't, they have a nice back-catalog for you to listen to until then. I don't mean to offend anyone with this post. I just want everyone to know that the Coldplay of old will probably one day show itself again after they've enjoyed taking some new, bold steps with their music. I applaud them for what they're doing and I'm looking forward to what they have for us in the future!

Something must be done. If not, when LP5 is released the site will "explode".

hahaha LOL :lol:

indeed!! when Every Teardrop is a Waterfall came out, it took ages to load any page of Coldplaying.. Now also with Major Minus. But this are "just" singles...

haha it's really going to "explode" when LP5 comes out I think:P

Chris' and Will's vocals were recorded separately and than put together with help of a computer, and I think that what makes this song sound a bit "dead", or not so edgy and epic as it was live. Though it's still cool.

Waiting for acoustic version. Just four of them in one room playing this great tune. And no Brian Eno even near.