✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Major Minus: LISTENING PARTY! Countdown to Thursday 23rd June, 9pm (BST)

busybeeburns

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thought the studio version sounded a little bit like it was recorded at a live show, the echoes and a certain fuzzyness. anyway, i have a massive feeling that Moving to Mars is going to be an absolute cracker!

EPIC Jonnyboy guys.... but if it is the studio version i'm glad to know that it's a b-side..played live, this song was my favourite til now.. but in this version i miss jonny's guitar before the 2nd verse and chris's real voice that is unique...you cant do anything to improve his voice.. is perfect!! (i'm wondering if mr. Eno knows it...) ..i like it but i'm disappointed..

Anyone have a link where I can listen or download?
You can buy the song from Sunday onwards, in the meantime you can listen to it on youtube.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1O9X0_WNTY]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - Major Minus (Official)‬‏[/ame]

Their whole reason for making music is making what THEY want. Not what WE want. I really think this song is great. It's different. It's not Parachutes or A Rush of Blood all over again. And frankly I'm glad because that would be really boring and repetitive and I hate it when bands never change their sound and essentially make the same album 7 times over. Like Creed or AC/DC. People are just closed-minded to change it seems. Then again, that explains why anyone sane would vote for the GOP... But seriously guys c'mon. They can't just keep making the same music. That would get old fast. They're not the same people they were 10 or 5 years ago. They don't listen to only the same music they used to. And they don't have the same ideas they did then. They're broadening their horizons which is a great thing.

So guys... now I have to write a post here about everything and I know that this will be a long post because there are so many things we have to talk about, firstly the new single, besides the reaction of some "fans" and of course the general indication of Major Minus.

Let me begin with the new songs. I have to say that until 10 PM I didn't hear any of the new songs (except ETIAW) but after the controversial reactions I decided to listen to Major Minus.

After the first listening I just thought: "INTERESTING! Clearly I know that I have to hear it a few times... to understand ALL".

So the last hour I just listened to MM and thought about everything around Coldplay.

In general after these few times of listening I have to applaud the guys because they did their own job, no matter what fans wanted them to do. "Do another Parachutes, do another AROBTTH..." No, they created something NEW! This is very brave but they have to live with the music they do. Don't forget that and it is really boring for such talented guys to remain on a certain level/music.

Please, don't get me wrong but now, for me, it is obvious: WE STAND AT CROSSROADES! I'm sure that there are many Coldplayers who will hate the new album and I'm sure that there are some new Coldplayers after listening to the whole album. You may ask why? Because there is a huge difference between old (Parachutes, AROBTTH, X&Y) and new (VLVODAAHF, LP5) Coldplay. Earlier there were only the four dreamy men with their instruments. Just they and their instruments. Today, music is more complex because of more possibilities. But there is still a certain border around "conventional" music. Coldplays music changed dramatically. Look at Sparks or Everythings not lost. There is so much "space" in the recording if you know what I mean. If you look at Major Minus or VLVODAAHF there isn't "space". So the sound of Coldplay is more entire than before and, this is really important HOLISTIC!

So, remember, Chris Martin told a newspaper that LP5 has a secret story about two young outsiders who meet under crazy conditions and have to go a windy way together. This is the story behind the songs and each of the songs is another chapter in the storyline and have to fit into the whole thing! For Major Minus the motives are fear, addiction, paranoia, hallucination, prosecution... and this song is so full of them!!!

Look at the title - Major Minus - a hint to the general emotion! Then the lyrics, which fits so much! The ticking clock, the steps, the line "got one eye on the wall and one of you" which shows the shizophrenia of the actors! Than look at the general caracter of the song....really harsh, mystic, fast, hysteric, dark...

And of course these little details...the different sound of Chris' voice which is perfect for the background of the song. The duet with will...perhaps this shows the paranoia of the actor?! This is what I meant by HOLISTIC MUSIC!

Of course, some will say that this is crap, its ok. Some others will say that it is so great how every little detail fits into the context. This is why I strongly believe that there will be a polarisation of the Coldplayers.

But maybe we could come back to the point of "conventional music" and borders. I'm so happy that the guys always try to make something new. Really, VLVADAAHF was very lovely, great album but in comparism to Major Minus this album was kind, soft and "easier". The new album is going to be more rockish. Maybe I could explain it by help of a image: While VLVODAAHF there were in the cage with every musician but they achieved a new combination within these cage. But now, they seem to breake out of the cage or to enlarge the borders! I'm really sure that this album is going to be EPIC! Really, EPIC!

Yeah...after a while I'm just in love with that song, but maybe I like the live version of rock am ring a bit more...just because of the echo of Johnny! :P (and don't forget, Coldplay live is unbeatable)

This song is musically so brilliant...one of the best coldplay songs in my honest opinion.

I hope that this song will be on LP5, because it is great.

Really, the intro to the song and the verse are mind-blowing, especially the section which leads to the chorus is epic! Johnnys Guitar and the bassline also! I really love the part with that echo until the second chorus, the "softer" part of the song...the instrumential part is interesting! Only the end is a bit abrupt but maybe this fits better into the background.

But a special place for the little details of the song! They are so lovely...I like the ones in the instrumential part and also in the section to verse 2. I hear an beatextention...am I right?

In conclusion: I'm in love with Major Minus and with the new Coldplay direction (keyword: Holistic music), and now I'm more curious about Moving to Mars then anytime before!

Edit: Not often I heard such a powerfull verse of Coldplay! Great! <3

So guys... now I have to write a post here about everything and I know that this will be a long post because there are so many things we have to talk about, firstly the new single, besides the reaction of some "fans" and of course the general indication of Major Minus.

Let me begin with the new songs. I have to say that until 10 PM I didn't hear any of the new songs (except ETIAW) but after the controversial reactions I decided to listen to Major Minus.

After the first listening I just thought: "INTERESTING! Clearly I know that I have to hear it a few times... to understand ALL".

So the last hour I just listened to MM and thought about everything around Coldplay.

In general after these few times of listening I have to applaud the guys because they did their own job, no matter what fans wanted them to do. "Do another Parachutes, do another AROBTTH..." No, they created something NEW! This is very brave but they have to live with the music they do. Don't forget that and it is really boring for such talented guys to remain on a certain level/music.

Please, don't get me wrong but now, for me, it is obvious: WE STAND AT CROSSROADES! I'm sure that there are many Coldplayers who will hate the new album and I'm sure that there are some new Coldplayers after listening to the whole album. You may ask why? Because there is a huge difference between old (Parachutes, AROBTTH, X&Y) and new (VLVODAAHF, LP5) Coldplay. Earlier there were only the four dreamy men with their instruments. Just they and their instruments. Today, music is more complex because of more possibilities. But there is still a certain border around "conventional" music. Coldplays music changed dramatically. Look at Sparks or Everythings not lost. There is so much "space" in the recording if you know what I mean. If you look at Major Minus or VLVODAAHF there isn't "space". So the sound of Coldplay is more entire than before and, this is really important HOLISTIC!

So, remember, Chris Martin told a newspaper that LP5 has a secret story about two young outsiders who meet under crazy conditions and have to go a windy way together. This is the story behind the songs and each of the songs is another chapter in the storyline and have to fit into the whole thing! For Major Minus the motives are fear, addiction, paranoia, hallucination, prosecution... and this song is so full of them!!!

Look at the title - Major Minus - a hint to the general emotion! Then the lyrics, which fits so much! The ticking clock, the steps, the line "got one eye on the wall and one of you" which shows the shizophrenia of the actors! Than look at the general caracter of the song....really harsh, mystic, fast, hysteric, dark...

And of course these little details...the different sound of Chris' voice which is perfect for the background of the song. The duet with will...perhaps this shows the paranoia of the actor?! This is what I meant by HOLISTIC MUSIC!

Of course, some will say that this is crap, its ok. Some others will say that it is so great how every little detail fits into the context. This is why I strongly believe that there will be a polarisation of the Coldplayers.

But maybe we could come back to the point of "conventional music" and borders. I'm so happy that the guys always try to make something new. Really, VLVADAAHF was very lovely, great album but in comparism to Major Minus this album was kind, soft and "easier". The new album is going to be more rockish. Maybe I could explain it by help of a image: While VLVODAAHF there were in the cage with every musician but they achieved a new combination within these cage. But now, they seem to breake out of the cage or to enlarge the borders! I'm really sure that this album is going to be EPIC! Really, EPIC!

Yeah...after a while I'm just in love with that song, but maybe I like the live version of rock am ring a bit more...just because of the echo of Johnny! :P (and don't forget, Coldplay live is unbeatable)

This song is musically so brilliant...one of the best coldplay songs in my honest opinion.

Really, the intro to the song and the verse are mind-blowing, especially the section which leads to the chorus is epic! Johnnys Guitar and the bassline also! I really love the part with that echo until the second chorus, the "softer" part of the song...the instrumential part is interesting! Only the end is a bit abrupt but maybe this fits better into the background.

But a special place for the little details of the song! They are so lovely...I like the ones in the instrumential part and also in the section to verse 2. I hear an beatextention...am I right?

In conclusion: I'm in love with Major Minus and with the new Coldplay direction (keyword: Holistic music), and now I'm more curious about Moving to Mars then anytime before!

Sorry, had to put it in spoiler tags 'cause it was so long :P

Anyway--Agree x 1000! I was very skeptical when I first heard it, but now I think the distorted vocals really fit the paranoid-context very well, and GUY'S BASS LINES!! :heart: :dead:

I think this is one of those songs that you have to listen to a couple of times to really appreciate

I know, the distortion on Chris's vocal doesn't bug me, I am open minded about those sort of things - but why so low in the mix?

Like ETIAW, some of the lyrics are unintelligble they are so buried in the mix?

Many have criticised the lyrics for being a backward step, are they trying to hide the fact by drowning them out?

Major Minus was AWESOME at Rock Am Ring (and no doubt will be this Saturday), but the studio version was a huge letdown.

After ETIAW? Not looking forward to the album.

After Rock Am Ring? It's okay, panic over - the album is gonna rock!

After Major Minus? Not looking forward to the album again.

What is going on?

I made a graph summarising your post... it reflects my own thoughts hahah

I love the song but I don't like what they've done to Chris's voice.

His voice is unique and awesome, no effects needed. Don't hide one of your best elements!!

I'll stick to the live versions we have. :awesome:

The studio version sounds as if they've forgotten to plug in Chris's microphone properly.

If you must use the effect... why so quiet? Totally agree with you.

8eb73a13.jpg

You are so full of crap.

dont get me wrong, I love the new song, I think it's overproduced but it's not bad at all.

But jesus christ are you full of crap.

I made a graph summarising your post... it reflects my own thoughts hahah

I love the song but I don't like what they've done to Chris's voice.

His voice is unique and awesome, no effects needed. Don't hide one of your best elements!!

I'll stick to the live versions we have. :awesome:

The studio version sounds as if they've forgotten to plug in Chris's microphone properly.

If you must use the effect... why so quiet? Totally agree with you.

8eb73a13.jpg

hahaha oh my gosh you made a graph, pure awesome! :D (the graph shows the same way i feel about LP5 too!)

Getting a little pissed off at all these complaints over his voice. Hahaha. But I guess it was the same when Viva la Vida was released, a complaint that I seemed to notice was overproduction. Production can work marvelous wonders. Now, of course, Chris has an excellent voice- one that really doesn't need to be messed with- but I honestly don't believe it ruined the song. At all. I think it's a fantastic track, and if it's a B-side I will have abnormally high expectations for the actual album. Then again, some of my favorite Coldplay songs are B-sides :) At any rate, I think you need to let the song grow on you. And stop listening to the live version. "Every Teardrop" wasn't very good, I'll admit- and it pains me to admit such things- but this is vastly, totally, completely superior. Sort of a cross between "Cemeteries of London," "Bigger Stronger," and really any song off of X & Y. I personally believe that the fact Coldplay can go from very very organic to colorfully produced is commendable. The vocals, distorted they may be, fit with the music very well. And I'm loving this spacey, quirky, walking-man theme. How do you do something like that without lots of production?