✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Major Minus: LISTENING PARTY! Countdown to Thursday 23rd June, 9pm (BST)

busybeeburns

Getting a little pissed off at all these complaints over his voice. Hahaha. But I guess it was the same when Viva la Vida was released, a complaint that I seemed to notice was overproduction. Production can work marvelous wonders. Now, of course, Chris has an excellent voice- one that really doesn't need to be messed with- but I honestly don't believe it ruined the song. At all. I think it's a fantastic track, and if it's a B-side I will have abnormally high expectations for the actual album. Then again, some of my favorite Coldplay songs are B-sides :) At any rate, I think you need to let the song grow on you. And stop listening to the live version. "Every Teardrop" wasn't very good, I'll admit- and it pains me to admit such things- but this is vastly, totally, completely superior. Sort of a cross between "Cemeteries of London," "Bigger Stronger," and really any song off of X & Y. I personally believe that the fact Coldplay can go from very very organic to colorfully produced is commendable. The vocals, distorted they may be, fit with the music very well. And I'm loving this spacey, quirky, walking-man theme. How do you do something like that without lots of production?

Agreed x 745. Very cohesive analysis and rhetoric!

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do fancy the live version more but the recorded one is cool in its own way too. I miss more of Jonny's guitar scratches?/riffs that we hear in the live version between verses. But I love hearing the other boys sing too!...adds a tint of colour and sprinkle of a different dimension to it all...tho, of course, I adore Chris' singing per usual :) I agree that it would've been fine or perhaps better without distorting Chris' voice...his natural one sounds absolutely great especially live.

The general vibe of the song reminds me of the Parachutes era....i.e. the distortion in Chris' voice.

I do fancy the live version more but the recorded one is cool in its own way too. I miss more of Jonny's guitar scratches?/riffs that we hear in the live version between verses. But I love hearing the other boys sing too!...adds a tint of colour and sprinkle of a different dimension to it all...tho, of course, I adore Chris' singing per usual :) I agree that it would've been fine or perhaps better without distorting Chris' voice...his natural one sounds absolutely great especially live.

The general vibe of the song reminds me of the Parachutes era....i.e. the distortion in Chris' voice.

Harmonics is the term you are looking for. :)

i have the song already on the ipod :)

It's better then ETIAW but has the same style.

ETIAW and Major Minus are really not Coldplays best songs,the songs from the albums Rush of Blood To The Head and X&Y are much better still.

But maybe we will hear better new tracks on LP5 wich i think will be released in august.

You know, if this song wasn't about the subject matter it is (always being watched, paranoia, etc), I don't think the filter on Chris' voice throughout most of the song would fit. But, due to what the song's about, I think it fits perfectly within the context of the lyrics. It's a dark song and the muffled voice just contributes to it. Not to mention at least one other person (Will) is singing with him in the verses. So, I think it works and fits (and I like it). But to each his own. I'm just putting perspective on the vocal filter so that it could give you a different angle to think about it from.

That is a good point actually...