🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

they don't necessarily have to go back to a rush of blood. trying to do another rush of blood would end up in tears as we saw with X&Y. so we don't want that at all. but coldplay 2012 doesn't resemble coldplay 2002 in any way imaginable, except they're the same band with the same people. so maybe we just want some of the old magic. for them to go back to their roots and rediscover what made them so good in the first place.

their 3 latest albums have each disappointed a lot of people but maybe MX more so than the other two. with every month and year that passes by since its release and after all the hype has died down, the album gets more and more dreadful for me.

i'll just try and pretend MX and some of the stuff on X&Y and viva never happened and look forward to whatever they're doing next. i so want them to blow us all away in spectacular fashion with the greatest album ever!

The only reason the last three albums have disappointed people - I wasn't aware Viva was a disappointment to anyone, but whatever - is because there is more expectation to produce something better than the last record. Who's disappointed if a band release a bad debut? No one. Who would've been all that bothered if Coldplay had become a one-hit wonder known for Yellow? A few people, not that many. Now who's bothered if LP6 is shite? A global fanbase of millions that have helped this band ascend from nothing to the biggest band on the planet in half the time U2 took.

Coldplay's past is utterly irrelevant, we should be looking at the future; we should look at what the band have expressed an interest in doing, what influences they've mentioned before that they haven't explored yet, and what worked well on the last record, and the last record only. I'm sorry, but pre-Viva Coldplay is dead and buried. And given that the last three influences I heard Chris mention were Madness by Muse, Pass Out by Tinie Tempah and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye, I wouldn't hold out much hope for this "rock album". Whatever that means: MX was an alternative rock album.

Rant over.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Muse, haha. I don't think they'll even concider it. They first wanted to make an acoustic album, but finally made MX. It would be really the opposite direction if they'll do dubstep now...

Yeah I mean there's nothing stopping Coldplay doing dub step but I just don't think its the right path for them. It worked for muse as they'd re able to use extreme sounds to make their stuff SO EPIC!! :)

Yeah, all of them feel fresh. You have the sensation that they're new bands eventhough they've been making music for years.

I'd take Muse out of that, personally. You get the feeling that most of their music could be on any of their albums (The 2nd Law, maybe exempt). Survival, Stockholm Syndrome, New Born, Knights of Cydonia, Supermassive Black Hole, Cave, Hysteria, Supremacy, Starlight, Uprising, Resistance, Plug In Baby Sunburn... there's not a lot of difference. Compare that with Viva La Vida, Yellow, Fix You, Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, The Scientist... you get the idea.

There's nothing wrong with remaining in the same style. Arcade Fire don't change much each album, but the songwriting's always brilliant. What I like about Coldplay is that every song is about as good as the next; the ambition's great, but what's ambition if you don't have the raw talent behind it?

I'd take Muse out of that, personally. You get the feeling that most of their music could be on any of their albums (The 2nd Law, maybe exempt). Survival, Stockholm Syndrome, New Born, Knights of Cydonia, Supermassive Black Hole, Cave, Hysteria, Supremacy, Starlight, Uprising, Resistance, Plug In Baby Sunburn... there's not a lot of difference. Compare that with Viva La Vida, Yellow, Fix You, Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, The Scientist... you get the idea.

There's nothing wrong with remaining in the same style. Arcade Fire don't change much each album, but the songwriting's always brilliant. What I like about Coldplay is that every song is about as good as the next; the ambition's great, but what's ambition if you don't have the raw talent behind it?

The problem with Coldplay sometimes is that the lyrics can be too much simple, an example is Paradise. The fact I don't understand is that in a Coldplay album you can have lyrics like the Moving to Mars ones and then you have Para Para Paradise. The level is so different, the problem with Coldplay is that in a great album there are this one or two weak moments that ruins the whole album.

The problem with Coldplay sometimes is that the lyrics can be too much simple, an example is Paradise. The fact I don't understand is that in a Coldplay album you can have lyrics like the Moving to Mars ones and then you have Para Para Paradise. The level is so different, the problem with Coldplay is that in a great album there are this one or two weak moments that ruins the whole album.

Some people get turned off by simple lyrics. I do get turned off sometimes especially if they are cheesy, but I also get really turned off when artists write word salads too much.

edit: So I like how Coldplay keeps it balanced.

There's nothing wrong with simple lyrics. Just looking at the top ten songs of the last decade, according to Pitchfork; Daft Punk's One More Time, Radiohead's Idioteque and Beyonce's Crazy in Love are all there. All three either mean nothing, are cheesy, or don't really explore any sort of deep emotion for anything, they're just good songs.

You can't put your finger on what makes a song great, but it's different for different songs. Paradise might not be deep or meaningful, but it's not meant to be. Hell, how many Coldplay songs are?

Yeah I kinda agree with that. I think simple lyrics are the best. I myself have only written about 30 songs but all my friends say that the shorter simplistic and sort of less structured ones are best

Music is about two things; expression and connection. Seriously, think of any band, and you can trace one of those two things to why they started. To get girls? Connection. To look cool? Connection. Because they were inspired by another artist? Bit of both. They can say something with music they can't say otherwise? Expression.

Some artists are all about the expression: MGMT, Mars Volta, Bjork and Foals are some that spring to mind. They're bands that revel in their technical abilities and they enjoy a good mindfuck as much as they enjoy a statement of intent from a song.

There are also artists like Nicki Minaj, One Direction and will.i.am, who don't care what they release as long as people buy it, and people like them. They only care about the connection.

Coldplay are one of those bands in the middle who care as much about how their song connects, as they do what it says. That's why the simple lyrics work so well, but yet they're considered "a proper band"; they try to express themselves in different ways but still want to be one of the biggest bands on the planet. And that's why Radiohead are so loved, because they're the perfect medium between the two.

There are different kinds of connection too. There's the emotional connection formed from deep, thoughtful lyrics, but there's also the connection formed between a band and its live crowd, as between audience members who sing together. Coldplay are aware of the need for both, and they've admitted intentionally writing those simple choruses with their live show in mind. But even a song like VLV with the most simple sing-along part imaginable still has complex lyrics. Some lyrics are better than others, and I don't think some on MX were as strong as on previous albums, but there are still some good, well-crafted lyrics there. I hope with age and experience that Chris will branch out even further with his lyrics. He's still got untapped potential there, IMO.

Are we going to have this newcoldplay/oldcoldplay discussions forever on this forum? They are not doing AROBTTH part 2, just get over it people. Personally that's what I love the most about them, the ability to keep changing and sounding fresh over the years, each record has its own particular sound.

Actually, what you are saying has also been said a gazillion times and this thread could be summed up in two sentences.

1. Coldplay should do this and this kind of music

2. No, they should do this and this kind of music instead.

Boring.

/not being bitter or anything

Actually, what you are saying has also been said a gazillion times and this thread could be summed up in two sentences.

1. Coldplay should do this and this kind of music

2. No, they should do this and this kind of music instead.

Boring.

/not being bitter or anything

It does sometimes go a bit further than that, to be fair. This thread should be used for intelligent discussions about what's worked well in Coldplay's past, what we'd like to see expanded upon, and what the popular reaction is for all possible different future styles of Coldplay. This thread is a speculation spectrum but its at its weakest when people just say "I want Coldplay to do a rock album because I like the old stuff." As one of the more frequent posters in this thread, I apologise on behalf of those who say that.

Mark, you're so awfully kind and considerate and smart and eloquent and everything.

I second this :nod: And I also feel that this thread just goes in an infinite loop of people saying the same things over and over and getting the same responses from the same people....

I second this :nod: And I also feel that this thread just goes in an infinite loop of people saying the same things over and over and getting the same responses from the same people....

Ironic for the forum's main thread for looking forward.

^yeah cuz mx sucked, right?

Why so cynical? Its always fun to speculate about the future. People are flocking to this thread because MX has kinda run its course. MX does not suck, its just run dry for most of us-- for me at least.

But I still loved every moment of this MX era. Its been a rush. I'm so excited to see what they put out next

For the third and final time,

THEY WILL ALWAYS "DO ROCK" BECAUSE THEY ARE AN ALTERNATIVE ROCK BAND. THEY WILL TRY AND INCORPORATE OTHER STYLES INTO THEIR MUSIC THOUGH, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT PROGRESSION IS ABOUT. THEY WILL NOT GO BACK TO A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD BECAUSE THAT IS NOT PROGRESSION.

Okay?

Calm down man, no need to use the caps. I simply meant that I wanted a harder edge in their "rock music." Like politik. I do disagree with you when you say going back to rush of blood music is not progressing. It's like saying that a band has to keep adding new sounds onto their music. That's not the case. Many very popular bands have gone back a step and shed those extra sounds and made some of their best music. Now can you please respect my opinion? I mean, it's not like I was posting directly to you ;)

There are also artists like Nicki Minaj, One Direction and will.i.am, who don't care what they release as long as people buy it, and people like them. They only care about the connection.

i'm a little confused by this isn't all music about the connection?

also to say that nicki minaj etc dont care about what they release is a really ignorant thing to say but im still really confused

i'm a little confused by this isn't all music about the connection?

also to say that nicki minaj etc dont care about what they release is a really ignorant thing to say but im still really confused

To a degree, yeah everything is about the connection, but some care about the expression more than others, is my point. Quite a simple point really, I'm sure there wasn't much to be confused over.

And I'm sure Nicki Minaj, One Direction and will.i.am will be fine even though I think their music is artless. It would be more ignorant to say that when I hadn't heard it.

Calm down man, no need to use the caps. I simply meant that I wanted a harder edge in their "rock music." Like politik. I do disagree with you when you say going back to rush of blood music is not progressing. It's like saying that a band has to keep adding new sounds onto their music. That's not the case. Many very popular bands have gone back a step and shed those extra sounds and made some of their best music. Now can you please respect my opinion? I mean, it's not like I was posting directly to you ;)

I'm calm, I write in caps when people blatantly ignore what I say; because at least three times you said you wanted a rock album, and at least three times I tried to tell you that there will be a rock album regardless.

"Progressing" means moving forward, and a band is not moving forward by going back to what they've done before. That's a straight-up fact that can't be denied, so I'm sorry, there is no "opinion" here. I respect your tastes nonetheless.

wait wait wait wait

guys

What kind of connection is Nicki Minaj trying to make when she repeats "Ass" over and over again ?

i really wonder

is it about inviting people to shake their booty

wait wait wait wait

guys

What kind of connection is Nicki Minaj trying to make when she repeats "Ass" over and over again ?

i really wonder

You talking about the song she did with Big Sean? I don't think there's much meaning to it tbh- it's just fun for some people to sing to.

Haha can't help but think of a CP feat Nicky Minaj collaboration right now... with Chris' gentle lyrics and her inappropriateness. I'd get a heart attack.

wait wait wait wait

guys

i really wonder

This.

I'm sorry if it offends anyone that I don't appreciate her music, I'm just struggling to find the message that she wants to convey with lines such as "starships are made to fly" and "Bitches ain't shit, and they ain't sayin' nuthin', a hundred muthafuckas can't tell me nuthin'".

This.

I'm sorry if it offends anyone that I don't appreciate her music, I'm just struggling to find the message that she wants to convey with lines such as "starships are made to fly" and "Bitches ain't shit, and they ain't sayin' nuthin', a hundred muthafuckas can't tell me nuthin'".

she is trying to say get off my ass haters and that the haters don't run her life, at least that's the message I got out of the song. Actually some parts of that song could be empowering, it has a "do you " attitude to it.