✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[9-Dec-2011] Coldplay @ O2 Arena, London, UK

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really glad so many people enjoyed the gig so much :sunny:

Many thanks for the videos everyone, it's like being at a different gig with that close up detail :) I think they really missed video screens - the circular screens are very arty, but there just didn't seem enough intimacy without seeing some of the close stuff properly.

(((hugs))) Coldplay's music is very powerful in dark times, it helped me get through so much.

My Mum died on Christmas Day 2005 and I couldn't listen to Coldplay for a very long time after that, thus Viva La Vida passed me by totally.

My love was re-awakened this year at Glasto and all the other live shows they have done.

It was the first time I had heard Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall and for the first time in such a long time, it gave me this euphoric feeling.

Since then I can't get enough of them again, and am totally in love with all of the MX artwork.

Your review is brilliantly detailed and I can understand it leaving you feeling a bit flat if you loved VLV so much, I don't have that problem as VLV never even registered with me lol

Thanks for the fabulous review though and I hope your Mum's better now :pleased::sunny:

Sorry for the late reply, and also so very sorry to hear about your mum :hug: I so relate to what you wrote - my mum passed away in Feb 2007, and Viva La Vida coming out the following summer was really what lifted me up into feeling truly happy once again for the first time. It gave me a lot of hope and inspiration. I am so glad you found your way back to Coldplay and that their new music and this gig have meant and helped so much - it's absolutely wonderful that they can touch people so deeply, isn't it? :sunny:

Thank you for your very kind words about my review. It's always a pleasure to have a different point of view from other people but to understand where they are coming from :)

I'll drop you a quick PM to make sure you see this very late reply :)

Norwich College’s budding sound technicians go behind the scenes of Coldplay gig at the O2 arena in London

3647708345.jpg

Six Production Arts students from City College Norwich, who are more used to working in the College’s 250-seat theatre, will go behind the scenes at the 20,000 capacity O2 arena on Friday to see the fit up for Coldplay's sell-out concert. Pictured: Production Arts students Ashlie Mason, Evie Smith and Jonny Emery.

Students from City College Norwich received an inspiring experience that put their dreams into perspective.

Six production arts students went behind the scenes of the mission impossible operation that is the stage set up for a gig by a massive band in a massive venue, Coldplay at the 02 Arena in London.

On Friday December 9, Evie Smith, Ashlie Mason, Jonny Emery, Morgan Ellis, Harry Lackey and Rory Woodhouse met with people they aspire to be in future - sound and lighting technicians and tour production staff working on big jobs in the music industry.

They also met with and learnt from Coldplay’s tour manager, and the main stage managers for Latitude Festival and Glastonbury. And for the young, budding backstagers, who are more used to the college’s 250-seat theatre, to be given exclusive and rare access in a 20,000 capacity venue was an eye opener.

“It was really useful, it broadened my knowledge and gave me perspective,” said 17 year old Rory Woodhouse, from Thunder Lane, Thorpe St Andrew.

“Watching them rigging the stage and set up the lights was exciting, we do things on a much smaller scale. The speed they work is impressive, they are quite pressed for time.

“It inspired me to follow my dream of working as a followspot operator.”

Mr Woodhouse wants to work the spotlight for major bands, he’s in one himself.

“I would love to work at Wembley or the 02, that’s the dream and hopefully I’m working towards it,” he said.

The six were given the opportunity through the National Skills Academy Creative and Cultural’s Production Day Visits programme.

Evie Smith, 17 from Southburgh, said: “It was good to see what we are aiming for, now we have a target.

“It was amazing, we are so lucky, not even 02 staff are allowed to see the set up.

“We learnt so much, it was run totally different to how I expected. It was a few hours before the gig, I expected it to be manic but they were so organised.”

The group didn’t meet the band, but Miss Smith doesn’t seem too bothered.

“It was more beneficial to see the set up of the gig, without that there would be no show.

“It would have been cool to meet the band, but much more useful to meet the unsung heroes.

link

Was looking at the pictures from the concert yesterday and found a really cool picture. Well it's not a good one but it has a very special effect.... my friend had some strange settings at her camera and this is the result. Can someone tell? ;-)

2dihjc5.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Was looking at the pictures from the concert yesterday and found a really cool picture. Well it's not a good one but it has a very special effect.... my friend had some strange settings at her camera and this is the result. Can someone tell? ;-)

2dihjc5.jpg

hi

im going to the emerites gig.

what were your timing like??

how early did u get there to get that close to the front??

great pic by the way :)

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
hi

im going to the emerites gig.

what were your timing like??

how early did u get there to get that close to the front??

great pic by the way :)

thanks

I was there around 10 and had only like 15-20 persons before us :) but I guess if you want a good spot you don't need to get there that early, there was no rush until maybe ~ 2-3...

• 3 months later...
Ouch!

Coldplay, 02 Arena, London (2/5)

The Kraftwerk allusions, the Brian Eno productions, the “experimental” new directions: the propaganda which comes with each new Coldplay album would make you think they were a major rock band.

But as they break in their fifth, Mylo Xyloto, at the O2 Arena in front of 20,000 excited, adoring fans, it becomes obvious this is a category error. Chris Martin writes songs which Take That would kill for. The self-revelation and transformation of listeners some still expect of rock music never happens.

Coldplay are the lightest entertainment.

They are honest workers, though, and try so athletically hard. As “Hurts Like Heaven” opens the show, wristbands handed out with tickets glow in green, white and red, making the crowd look like Christmas lights. Two songs later, giant balloons drop from the roof, kicked open by singer Chris Martin to reveal confetti crosses. Two songs after that, they wheel out the confetti-cannons. Special effects are reinforced by physical ones. Martin makes regular running leaps down a gangway, looking posed for action photos in mid-air. But amidst this huffing and puffing, no excitement is actually coming off the stage. When Jonny Buckland and Martin circle each other on springy feet, they are equally ungainly and uncharismatic. Buckland’s lead guitar borrows U2’s sound, but does nothing with it.

Beneath the show’s eager to please bluster, what strikes me with increasing force is the repetition and weakness of Martin’s songs. From the solipsism of their first inescapable hit, “Yellow”, where the stars themselves “shine for you”, there is no lyric of mature realisation. Every song is other-directed, constructed for mass, mild elevation. Not a word suggests a real emotion of Martin’s as if, locked in a celebrity bubble early, he can’t locate them, and stopped learning long ago. “I will wait for you,” he sings on “In My Place”, straight from a Hollywood movie. “Nobody said it was easy,” he adds on “The Scientist”.

Nobody except Coldplay.

“Paradise” has their most inanely catchy chorus yet (“para-para-dise...”), and is a study of a woman who as a young girl believed in heaven, and, naturally, regains her dreams. But in Coldplay songs we’re always in heaven, where no suffering lasts. All they lack is the grit that makes artistic pearls. The crowd leave happy, because Coldplay have helped lower our expectations of pop. It’s got to be better than this.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/coldplay-02-arena-london-25-6275937.html

GO AWAY HATERS SHOULD NOT BE ON THIS SITE-****.

That was my 3rd and probably best Coldplay gig. Saw them with Jay-Z at Wembley and then saw them at the iTunes festival in Camden this summer. The crowd last night was the best by far and that's what makes it for me.

The wrist bands are an amazing idea and will take some beating! Can't wait to see what will come next. Paradise is a proper stadium anthem as is Charlie Brown.

Don't Panic was a fantastic suprise I never thought I'd see that song live - same with What If (even if everyone else decided that was the time to get the beers in...)

Overall a quality night and I can't wait for the Emirates in June:D

TOTALLY AGREE,I LOVE WHAT IF BEAUTIFUL SONG,BUT YES MAGIC NIGHT,BEST BAND IN THE WORLD,AS I SHOUTED OUT,AT SOME POINT!

Possibly the best concert I've ever been to! Great set - great performance and fantastic stage/light show (what the hell is that numpty from the independant on about!?) - a few vids I took...

AGREED,I THINK IT'S OBVIOUS WHO'S AT THE TOP OF THE TREE RIGHT NOW,AND THEY'RE ON FIRE,AND YOU'RE GOING TO GET JEALOUSY,ENVY.AT THE END OF THE DAY,THEY ARE THE HARDEST WORKING,AND BEST BAND IN THE WORLD-TO WHOEVER DON'T LIKE IT FUCK EM!!

• 1 month later...