🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

Princess of China and the similarity between a song of Vietnam !?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's just the typical texture of Chinese or east Asian culture, tired of these stupid claims:

http://www.tuoitrenews.vn/cmlink/tuoitrenews/lifestyle/coldplay-s-song-resembles-vietnamese-music-1.48650

Would you show us some "east Asian" songs that have the "typical texture", plz. Are you even VNese or Chinese to say that? Are you supposed to know it better than a VNese!? Tired of the more stupid claims like yours.

Exactly, why would they credit their samples on some songs and not this one, it wouldn't make any sense.

I have same question, they credit Takk as sample then if plagiarism "Ra Ngo Tung Kinh" why they didn't put on this song. :rolleyes:

Sounds similar, but not the same.

I saw some vietnamese guys in this topic :D

So you're an expert on Chinese + east Asian culture?

Would you show us some "east Asian" songs that have the "typical texture", plz. Are you even VNese or Chinese to say that? Are you supposed to know it better than a VNese!? Tired of the more stupid claims like yours.

I'm not chinese nor Vnese and I don't even know what do you think of the band, but I totally trust them, in Cat Stevens, Joe Satriani, strawberry swing, and even this case...

I totally stand against idea of copying or these issues about Coldplay, still I wait for the band's answer but if they want to use this guy's music, They for sure would ask him and would name him in their album

calm down plz

I have same question, they credit Takk as sample then if plagiarism "Ra Ngo Tung Kinh" why they didn't put on this song. :rolleyes:

Sounds similar, but not the same.

I saw some vietnamese guys in this topic :D

Some Vietnameses? NOT some but I'm Vietnamese. I hope that you dont mean Vietnamese is not titled to claim against a big western brand like Coldplay.

In deed, I love Coldplay's music but I also hope that they can show Vietnameses a fair answer to this incident.

attention! another copyright infringement?! PoC vs this vietnamese song

Hey i found this link, now really worried now about the position of our lovely coldplay. what do you think?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ObRKGJAxmc]CHANT AT THE ALLEY (Ra ngo tung kinh) VS. PRINCESS OF CHINA - Coldplay f. Rihanna (Mylo Xyloto) - YouTube[/ame]

My eyes were actually like O.o when hearing this news, (and I didn't even know about this song before knowing about this issue ). However, Tran Tien has a high reputation in Vietnamese music world, and he seemed not to care much about it. I think he only needs an explanation from Coldplay, then everything will be fine. We, Vietnamese, don't want to turn it into a big problem that needs the hand of law.

P/S: I like the old Coldplay more with Fix you or Viva la Vida, etc

Some Vietnameses? NOT some but I'm Vietnamese. I hope that you dont mean Vietnamese is not titled to claim against a big western brand like Coldplay.

In deed, I love Coldplay's music but I also hope that they can show Vietnameses a fair answer to this incident.

Sorry dude, i dont mean that because i am vietnamese, and I think coldplaymix, datlcmaulen and Flourishing are Vietnamese too, not only you and me :)

If Tran Tien doesnt care about this, why must we care?. and like I said: similar, but not the same, like Tomahawk Chop song, i just feel that all

Sorry dude, i dont mean that because i am vietnamese, and I think coldplaymix, datlcmaulen and Flourishing are Vietnamese too, not only you and me :)

If Tran Tien doesnt care about this, why must we care?. and like I said: similar, but not the same, like Tomahawk Chop song, i just feel that all

Nope Dude,

Tomahawk Chop: E/D B B/G E (6 notes)

Hook of Chant at the Alley: E/E D B; A/D B; A/G E (10 notes)

Hook of Princess of China: E/E D B; D/D B; A/B E (10 notes)

conclusion: hooks of Princess of China and Chant at the Alley are almost same in respect of notes, melody, rhythm but quite different from Tomahawk Chop Song

Apart from the similar hooks, Chant at the Alley and Prince of China also have other simlar things: mood, rythm, chord progression. in my view, those're too much and I dont think they don't care.

Vietnamese diva likely to sue Coldplay for plagiarism

Vietnamese pop singer Tran Thu Ha or Ha Tran, currently living in the U.S., is working with her lawyer to explore the possibility of a plagiarism lawsuit against Rihanna and Coldplay.

The possible lawsuit came after their “Princess of China” song in the “Mylo Xyloto” album released on October 17 has been found to bear striking resemblance to her 2008 “Ra ngo tung kinh.”

Ha told Tien Phong newspaper: “If I sue them for plagiarism, it is like an ant fighting against an elephant. However, from my lawyer’s opinion, even if the resemblance is just a coincidence, we still have a case in court if analyses turn up considerable similarity between the two songs.”

According to Ha, the two songs have a similar mood, beats, and musical arrangement in the introduction piece.

Ha said it’s unbelievable that Coldplay have listened to her song. She ventured a hypothesis that the English band could have come across and listened to it on the Internet without really knowing who wrote it.

“I need to be careful if I want to sue someone. They will accuse me of seeking profit if I couldn’t give enough evidence,” she said.

There have also been comments on the resemblance between the vocal background style in her song “Ra ngo tung kinh” and that of African indigenous people’s music.

However, Ha Tran explained that she came up with the vocal style to use in the background music of the song “Ra ngo tung kinh,” which was arranged by local musician Thanh Phuong.

American music website ATRL was the first one to mention the resemblance.

One member shared a post called “Coldplay & Rihanna plagiarizing Vietnam music?” with the two music clips to compare, which has attracted five pages of comments.

Disputable copyright is not new to Coldplay, as the English band was sued by singer Joe Satriani for using a part of his “If I could fly” song for their Grammy-winning “Viva La Vida” in 2009.

In September the same year, they went to court in Los Angeles in the US again when their new music video “Straberry Swing” was claimed to be a copy of the MV “Something Else” released one year earlier by singer Andy J. Gallagher.

http://www.tuoitrenews.vn/cmlink/tuoitrenews/lifestyle/vietnamese-diva-likely-to-sue-coldplay-for-plagiarism-1.48850

I still don't really think they plagiarised Joe Satriani ... but this woman has a pretty good case. :\

I don't think they necessarily did it with intention, but it is possible that they looked into songs from Asia to get a general, authentic "feel" for PoC.

However, if they did it, then I don't understand how on earth they wouldn't double-check if they had used parts of the melodies from other songs.

I think even if they had plagiarised Joe S, there's no way at all they would be stupid enough to knowingly do it again after the problems it caused them.

I think like you there was no intent, however if they have any sense at all they'll nip this in the bud before it gets as far as a court case.

I think the main problem now is that she is in the States.

If she had been in Vietnam, then it would've been pretty easy to "pay her off" and get rid of this issue promptly. However, she's in a nation of lawyers now ...

Personally, I like both songs but really hope Coldplay's got sth to say bout this, saying it's just a coincident would seem controversial to me though.

Btw, I'M Vietnamese and I thought I was the only one =))

I'd say the chance for them to escape this time is rather slim. It could be a coincidence, but the fact that this song is intentionally made with Chinese elements makes me feel that this is more than a total coincidence. :shrug:

oh look coldplay has a new album ! I'll listen to it search similarities of my shitty youtube songs that i've made and i'll try and sue them for some millions!! :p

AGREE!!! WHY IS IT THAT ONLY THE FAMOUS KNOWN POSSIBLE CHART TOPPER SONGS ARE THE ONE WITH THE CLAIMS OF PLAGARISM??!!??! No offense but why didn't anyone say anything about... About.. Ok it's hard to pick a sucky COLDPLAY song Coz they're all good. But, you get the idea right??

the similarity in the intro thing is there.. but it's not 100% the same. and the 'mood' of the song is definitely not the same??

Seriously, in all objectivity, if this woman tries to sue them, she'll lose the case. There is a slight similarity, yes, but is it worth sueing the band on it? She'd be taking way too big of a risk.

And wtf is it with Coldplay and all these similarities with other songs.