🚀COLDPLAY PREMIERE THEIR NEW SINGLE 'HIGHER POWER' FROM SPACE✨

The Muse Thread - Hate This & I'll Hate You

"Having been their opening act 13 years ago I'm proud to say that I think this is Muse's best song ever. CM"

Anyone else see that Facebook post from Coldplay with the Madness link?

I am really tired of Chris' saying bullshit sometimes. He is out of his mind if he truly believes Madness is the best Muse song. Why do these people get their criteria for quality so low lately???

• Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Megalomania

• Hysteria

• Mojo Pin

• Mrs.McFly

People are giving Muse and Coldplay a lot of stick for going more electronic, but is that not better than pretending it's 2005 and churning out same-old, 00s rock?

I'm just curious, because the songwriting's not got that much worse, it's just the production's shifted...

In the words of Jay-Z: "*****s want my old shit, buy my old album" (apologies if the n-word or s-word are forbidden here, I'm just quoting what I see as a great quote)

I love Madness. I love the new Muse AND Coldplay sound. If you don't like it, Showbiz and Parachutes still exist. Go listen to them.

In the words of Jay-Z: "*****s want my old shit, buy my old album" (apologies if the n-word or s-word are forbidden here, I'm just quoting what I see as a great quote)

I love Madness. I love the new Muse AND Coldplay sound. If you don't like it, Showbiz and Parachutes still exist. Go listen to them.

I wouldn't be that extreme. I still love VLV and TR but find MX and the new songs from T2L that we heard to be rather weak.

People are giving Muse and Coldplay a lot of stick for going more electronic, but is that not better than pretending it's 2005 and churning out same-old, 00s rock?

I'm just curious, because the songwriting's not got that much worse, it's just the production's shifted...

So you are saying that they should follow trends?

There are some aspects of The Resistance and Mylo Xyloto which I thought were really bad, but that's more to do with the actual songwriting/production than the direction they were headed in. I liked the electronic stuff on MX and the symphonic stuff on Resistance. I also really like the electronic direction Muse are going in on T2L so far. In fact I feel like Survival will ruin T2L because of the fact that the rest of the album doesn't continue the symphonic rock of The Resistance, yet that song does. It has no place on T2L from what we've heard/read of it so far in the songs we've heard and reviews/track descriptions.

There are some aspects of The Resistance and Mylo Xyloto which I thought were really bad, but that's more to do with the actual songwriting/production than the direction they were headed in. I liked the electronic stuff on MX and the symphonic stuff on Resistance. I also really like the electronic direction Muse are going in on T2L so far. In fact I feel like Survival will ruin T2L because of the fact that the rest of the album doesn't continue the symphonic rock of The Resistance, yet that song does. It has no place on T2L from what we've heard/read of it so far in the songs we've heard and reviews/track descriptions.

Take that shit Madness off the album and I am good. Not best. But OK.

What do you dislike about Madness, if I might ask? It seems like Muse's Paradise. That song got a bit of hate from fans but I loved it.

It's incredibly dull, weak and not at all Muse but then again neither was Undisclosed Desires and I found it brilliant.

I am not that crazy about Paradise either but it has a thousand times better melody and the overall effort (save for the lyrics).

I just think Madness is a bad song. And Muse being my favorite band I just feel sad that they don't seem to care that much about or have drastically changed views on their music.

So you are saying that they should follow trends?

That's exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. Both artists are trying to fuse their own sound with what's going on in the world at the moment, and both are creating music that's not only unique for their backcatalogue, we haven't seen anything similar since U2 in the 90s.

Bands like Spector and Bloc Party however, are releasing indie that we've been hearing for ten years now, with little new or varied on the style. I quite enjoy both artists' new stuff, but it doesn't excite me as much as a completely new direction would.

That's exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. Both artists are trying to fuse their own sound with what's going on in the world at the moment, and both are creating music that's not only unique for their backcatalogue, we haven't seen anything similar since U2 in the 90s.

Bands like Spector and Bloc Party however, are releasing indie that we've been hearing for ten years now, with little new or varied on the style. I quite enjoy both artists' new stuff, but it doesn't excite me as much as a completely new direction would.

New direction is not always good (One Direction is never :laugh3: ) - I just think that some expreiments can go wrong, and in my view, Madness is.

New direction is not always good (One Direction is never :laugh3: ) - I just think that some expreiments can go wrong, and in my view, Madness is.

Yeah, I see your point. I do like Madness, I think, but more than anything, I respect that they're trying something new. This probably contributes to why I like it.

I find it very hard to enjoy albums that show little ambition. My favourite records are Kid A, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, 13, Origin of Symmetry, Since I Left You, Moon Safari, Viva La Vida, Humbug... albums that try and push the walls a little. And none of the ones listed are perfect, but they're moving something forward.

I hope I'll like The 2nd Law as much. I doubt it, but at least they're not stuck on the spot, like they were with The Resistance.

Yeah, I see your point. I do like Madness, I think, but more than anything, I respect that they're trying something new. This probably contributes to why I like it.

I find it very hard to enjoy albums that show little ambition. My favourite records are Kid A, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, 13, Origin of Symmetry, Since I Left You, Moon Safari, Viva La Vida, Humbug... albums that try and push the walls a little. And none of the ones listed are perfect, but they're moving something forward.

I hope I'll like The 2nd Law as much. I doubt it, but at least they're not stuck on the spot, like they were with The Resistance.

Those are some great albums there ;)

The Resistance - I don't quite agree that they were stuck. Well, at least not all of the album.

Those are some great albums there ;)

The Resistance - I don't quite agree that they were stuck. Well, at least not all of the album.

The final four songs on that album are pushing somewhere they'd never been. And Undisclosed Desires. The others were either rehashed or falling back on previous ideas for me.

and thanks!

The final four songs on that album are pushing somewhere they'd never been. And Undisclosed Desires. The others were either rehashed or falling back on previous ideas for me.

and thanks!

Yeah I guess - Unnatural Selection was just a bland copy of New Born... And Uprising, Gudiing Light and USoE had some not original elements either... Still I enjoy the album, the bigger part of it.

I don't think anyone's really against Muse changing their sound, we all know there's no progress without it, but "Madness" is just one step towards that progress, not a destination. So while trying new stuff and wanting to enhance their music is definitely to be commended, "Madness" isn't Muse's best song ever and that's why I find Chris's statement ridiculous, that is to say I disagree completely.

I don't think anyone's really against Muse changing their sound, we all know there's no progress without it, but "Madness" is just one step towards that progress, not a destination. So while trying new stuff and wanting to enhance their music is definitely to be commended, "Madness" isn't Muse's best song ever and that's why I find Chris's statement ridiculous, that is to say I disagree completely.

this

If it's Chris's favourite, it's not ridiculous at all.

It does feel like a transition into something new, but everything has to start somewhere. I like to hear the transition songs/albums. Gives you more an insight into the workings of a band.