✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

2012 Albums Worth Listening To

the_gloaming09

1) My Bloody Valentine - EP's 1988-1991

2) My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything (remastered)

3) My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (remastered)

Listening to these records today... it's like running into an old girlfriend, except now she looks even better than before. At that exact moment, you remember all the good times and every little thing that you loved about the relationship; it's kind of hard not to get all sentimental :bigcry:

The remarkable thing about My Bloody Valentine is how their music doesn't seem dated at all, even though it's been over 20 years since the release of their first album. Many bands have tried to recreate the sounds and textures from Isn't Anything + Loveless, but none have come remotely close (The Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream anyone?)

Over the years, I've listened to Loveless so many times and yet I always discover something new and fresh about the record. Just absolutely gorgeous :love:

Now the word "genius" is thrown around so much that it's somewhat lost its meaning, yet that label is 100% appropriate for Kevin Shields (plus my feelings for Bilinda Butcher: :heart: :heart: :heart:)

Of course, I don't need to talk about the legacy of the band and their impact on the musical landscape; you can hear their influence today in bands like Deerhunter, M83, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, and countless others.

Anyone who hasn't gone through My Bloody Valentine's discography yet, here's your perfect opportunity. :thumbsup:

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really excited to listen to those. I love MBV, but I've always thought they needed to be remastered!

I'm sure you know this already but the remastered versions are available online and you can really hear the difference. Some songs have been cleaned up by considerable margins. Can't wait to buy this on vinyl :)

Apologies if I seem overly enthusiastic but My Bloody Valentine is one of my favorite bands ever and it's amazing that we're getting properly remastered versions of two amazing albums.... especially after so many delays - I'm still in disbelief!

The fact that we got the reissues as promised gives more weight to the recent interviews that LP3 might actually be on the horizon and set for release this year :dance:

I haven't been this properly excited since.... well last year when we got The Beach Boys' The Smile Sessions. :P

^ Hahaha, it's okay, My Bloody Valentine ís f*cking great. And countless bands are influenced by them even with or without knowing it. And some are just bland copies.

I know you said many others, but may I add some more influenced bands: The Big Pink, Snow Patrol, Garbage, Brian Eno, Mew, Glasvegas, School Of Seven Bells, Blonde Redhead, The Verve, The Raveonettes.

Not knowing My Bloody Valentine when you're into music is like not knowing who Marie Curie is while you're studying chemistry.

Went back a few pages and didn't see anyone mention Breton's debut 'Other Peoples' Problems'.

I would definitely recommend listening to it; I thought it was an almost flawless album. And their live shows are certainly an experience.

Best Coast's The Only Place

and Beach House Bloom

Best coast gets HQ and a sultry mix of country vibin with their beach sounds while BH sticks with the music they're really good at making. :heart:

EEEEEEEEE! :cheesy: :heart:

Given that Adam Levine had before said Maroon 5 was likely to disband after "Hands All Over" and the subsequent tour, I'm stupidly excited for this one. While I personally like "Moves Like Jagger," I can only hope that LP4 doesn't take that and apply it throughout the whole album. Let's hope it's as diverse as Adam makes it out to be. June needs to hurry up! :bomb:

EDIT: Actually, having thought about it, I think "Valtari" by Sigur Rós might hold me until then. :wacko:

I agree about the M5 album. I was actually checking the band's posts on Ping a few weeks ago, and I came across some sick pre-order deals!

http://www.maroon5.com/

I REALLY WANT THE VINYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

• 2 weeks later...
Went back a few pages and didn't see anyone mention Breton's debut 'Other Peoples' Problems'.

I would definitely recommend listening to it; I thought it was an almost flawless album. And their live shows are certainly an experience.

I can only agree.

Liars - WIXIW

This record is going to raise a LOT of Radiohead comparisons in the coming days.

You can listen here: http://soundcloud.com/muterecords/sets/liars-wixiw/s-zI9Sb

Looks like NPR is already making the comparisons: "WIXIW, out June 5, may just be the best Radiohead album since Kid A... These are the sort of songs disappointed Radiohead fans wanted on The King of Limbs."

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/27/153520354/first-listen-liars-wixiw