✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

2012 Albums Worth Listening To

the_gloaming09

Liars - WIXIW

This record is going to raise a LOT of Radiohead comparisons in the coming days.

You can listen here: http://soundcloud.com/muterecords/sets/liars-wixiw/s-zI9Sb

Damn this is good. The radiohead similarities are definitely there...But Radiohead have always set the bar so high that when something comes close I never think of it as a ripoff, but just great music. If one dismisses a radiohead-esque album as cheap and unoriginal, it paradoxically no longer bears any similarity to Radiohead.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn this is good. The radiohead similarities are definitely there...But Radiohead have always set the bar so high that when something comes close I never think of it as a ripoff, but just great music. If one dismisses a radiohead-esque album as cheap and unoriginal, it paradoxically no longer bears any similarity to Radiohead.

I don't think anyone was raising the Radiohead comparisons to say it's "cheap and unoriginal," but to simply remark on how the songs of WIXIW certainly wouldn't feel out of place on a Radiohead album, and also to comment on the audacious nature of the record (The Radiohead ripoff label belongs solely to Coldplay :P). I can absolutely picture Radiohead playing a song like The Exact Color Of Doubt - would love to see a cover version!

That being said, it's frankly a reductive and lazy comparison; after hearing the album, I knew critics would immediately liken it to Kid A/Amnesiac, especially since Angus Andrew described WIXIW in various interviews as their "electronic" album. It's a bit unfortunate as the new Liars' album is an incredible record in its own right, a huge step up from Sisterworld and unquestionably their best release since 2006's Drum's Not Dead. (although if the RH label helps the band gain more exposure to potential fans, then it's worth it!)

To be fair, the Radiohead and Liars comparisons always existed, even before the release of WIXIW. They're both two of 00's best bands and they both have never been afraid to experiment with different sounds and textures. Thom Yorke has often spoken about his admiration for the Liars and constantly plugged them in interviews. Not to mention the Liars opened for Radiohead for the In Rainbows tour and was picked for the Radiohead-curated Daydream Festival in Barcelona.

....and who can forget this absolutely glorious Liars' blog post entitled "OH RADIOHEAD"? :laugh3: Selected portions from http://www.myspace.com/liarsliarsliars/blog/397845491:

"In a world full of fear and ripe with insincerity its such a relief to have met Radiohead.

They are purveyors of truth, beauty and a moral responsibility to the planet.

We've been welcomed with literal open ams and thoroughly schooled

on how to function as a band -not just musically, but ethicly too.

The honor is in learning from the best and from the beginning we've been in class.

The important thing for us to make clear is just how awe inspiring this production is."

Absolutely adore this record. I knew after hearing No.1 Against the Rush and Octagon that WIXIW was going to be great but hearing the album in its totality exceeded all my expectations. Huge :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Anyway, what was the point of this long post? For those who have neither the attention span nor the time, it can be summarized as follows:

1) Liars are an incredible band with one of the best discographies around

2) The sounds and textures of WIXIW will draw the inevitable Radiohead comparisons

3) This record is one of 2012's best and something you need to listen to

Twenty One Pilots - twenty | one | pilots

My favorite album since AROBTTH, and that's saying a lot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6_8RbdlPsw]Twenty One Pilots - Oh, Ms Believer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suq35iak57U&feature=relmfu]Twenty One Pilots - March to the Sea - YouTube[/ame]

Totally forgot about that one. How do you like it?

The Tallest Man on Earth? Fantastic record, although I don't think it's quite as good as The Wild Hunt or Shallow Grave. This is only my initial reaction (it was sitting on my desktop and I just got around to it) so the record might grow on me more.

If you liked previous output from The Tallest Man on Earth, I don't see why you won't enjoy this album.

Highlights: 1904, On Every Page, There's No Leaving Now

If you haven't listened to "Valtari" by Sigur Rós already, PLEASE do it. I listened to it last night. Oh my gosh. It's wonderful. "Dauðlogn" literally brought me to tears from its sheer beauty. I'm so glad they're back. Thank you, Jónsi & Co, for another beautiful record. :heart: