🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

Criticisms with the album?

Awww! Sucks. I'm going to leave some surprise for Monday. Are they any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GS is quite good, more upbeat and guitary. I'm not getting All Your Friends. O2 is an instrumental which sounds nothing like O. They're bsides and you can tell why they're not on the album although Ghost Stories perhaps could have been.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kmm1482
GS is quite good, more upbeat and guitary. I'm not getting All Your Friends. O2 is an instrumental which sounds nothing like O. They're bsides and you can tell why they're not on the album although Ghost Stories perhaps could have been.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Can't wait to hear them! Coldplay have been pretty lite on bsides since Viva, so any extra music is welcomed

The only criticism I have for the album, after listening to it about 5 billion times already, is how much "A Sky Full of Stars" sticks out. Even after the Pink Floyd-esque church bells and noise after "Oceans", I'm still not sure why there's a big-boom EDM track after literally 30 minutes of slow, melodic sounds. It's place in the loose narrative also sticks out. After "Oceans", where the singer talks about missing the one she loves and fantasizing about meeting her again one day, where does the singer suddenly get this burst of happiness from? How does he suddenly, out of nowhere, come to some point where he realizes he doesn't need her anymore?

"A Sky Full of Stars" is a great track on it's own, don't get me wrong, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb in the context of the album, both in it's sound and it's place in the narrative of the album. Other than that, GHOST STORIES IS THE BEST ALBUM EVA OMG!!1!!!11!!1!!1111

I've listened to the album several times now. My main criticism is that "A Sky Full of Stars" is on it and "All Your Friends" and "Ghost Story" are not.

ASFOS sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of the songs. I honestly believe the record company wouldn't let the band release an album without at least one upbeat, radio-friendly hit on it. The part that kills me is that it is *almost* a great song. The production by Aviici completely kills it. As it stands now it sounds like an okay dance remix of a really good Coldplay song. I wish the guys just produced and recorded the song by themselves. I'll hold out hope that an alternate mix exists and may someday see the light of day, otherwise I think the album works much better without it. As others have pointed out, even if you like the song, it really seems out of place on the album and absolutely obliterates the flow.

"Ghost Story" is such a great mix of the old and the new Coldplay sound, and it is just such a great song, that I cannot believe it's not on the album proper and is instead relegated to a mere bonus track. This to me is the standout track out of all of these songs so far, hands down.

That same idea of a great mix of the old and new sound goes for "All Your Friends". It works in all of the newer electronic sounds that the band is working with, but I can still hear the band themselves in the song, something I can't say for a song like "Another's Arms".

AA to me is the song most let down by the production / recording techniques of this era. I could see it being pretty great if it was recorded as the band actually playing their instruments so they could inject some life into it and maybe bring some emotion, even if it's negative emotion and heartbreak. I'm sure it was completely intentional to have it sound so cold and dead, but it's also less than stellar lyrically and just a pretty boring song overall. It needed to be more compelling and interesting.

If you swap out ASFOS for GS I think you get the same uplifting release at the same point in the album but in a much more organic way.

Before listening to the album in it's entirety I really thought I was going to absolutely hate the more electronic sound, but with the exception of ASFOS and AA they won me over. It's a pretty great album chronicling a very emotional and difficult time in someone's life. If ASFOS and AA were a little more acoustic or 'human-beings-playing-instruments' sounding I would be declaring Ghost Stories an absolute classic.

I've listened to the album twice now and would probably rate it 7/10 at best. It may be a grower?

I'm not a fan of either True Love or Ink and prefer the live versions of Oceans I've heard recently. Before release there was talk about the album being sonically similar to parachutes, i have to disagree, this has all the production of MX without any of the energy (apart from ASFOS). On the plus side though O is beautiful

I've listened to the album several times now. My main criticism is that "A Sky Full of Stars" is on it and "All Your Friends" and "Ghost Story" are not.

ASFOS sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of the songs. I honestly believe the record company wouldn't let the band release an album without at least one upbeat, radio-friendly hit on it. The part that kills me is that it is *almost* a great song. The production by Aviici completely kills it. As it stands now it sounds like an okay dance remix of a really good Coldplay song. I wish the guys just produced and recorded the song by themselves. I'll hold out hope that an alternate mix exists and may someday see the light of day, otherwise I think the album works much better without it. As others have pointed out, even if you like the song, it really seems out of place on the album and absolutely obliterates the flow.

"Ghost Story" is such a great mix of the old and the new Coldplay sound, and it is just such a great song, that I cannot believe it's not on the album proper and is instead relegated to a mere bonus track. This to me is the standout track out of all of these songs so far, hands down.

That same idea of a great mix of the old and new sound goes for "All Your Friends". It works in all of the newer electronic sounds that the band is working with, but I can still hear the band themselves in the song, something I can't say for a song like "Another's Arms".

AA to me is the song most let down by the production / recording techniques of this era. I could see it being pretty great if it was recorded as the band actually playing their instruments so they could inject some life into it and maybe bring some emotion, even if it's negative emotion and heartbreak. I'm sure it was completely intentional to have it sound so cold and dead, but it's also less than stellar lyrically and just a pretty boring song overall. It needed to be more compelling and interesting.

If you swap out ASFOS for GS I think you get the same uplifting release at the same point in the album but in a much more organic way.

Before listening to the album in it's entirety I really thought I was going to absolutely hate the more electronic sound, but with the exception of ASFOS and AA they won me over. It's a pretty great album chronicling a very emotional and difficult time in someone's life. If ASFOS and AA were a little more acoustic or 'human-beings-playing-instruments' sounding I would be declaring Ghost Stories an absolute classic.

Took the words out of my mouth. "All Your Friends" and "Ghost Story" not included in the album is madness. And the rest of your post is also accurately true.

I really do enjoy this album, I don't mind the lyrics much, as the music seems to make up for them, ASFoS is a good song, I just don't think it fits in the album. I really like Oceans and O (am I the only one who was basically in tears while listening to it?). The electronic instruments are good and really fit in with the whole theme. I would say that it would be better if the album was more up-beat, but I think in the end it wouldn't give the same effect. This album isn't supposed to be one to jam out to, or sing at the top of your lungs for as long as you live. It is a sad album, with a sad theme, and a sad story behind it , and I think it is one of the most brilliant pieces of mellow music (or even music in general when compared to many mainstream artists) I've heard.

My ratings are very close and I could interchange all of them in a heartbeat but they are...

VLV

AROBTH

GS

Parachutes

X&Y/MX (I really don't want to put one in last)

I really do enjoy this album, I don't mind the lyrics much, as the music seems to make up for them, ASFoS is a good song, I just don't think it fits in the album. I really like Oceans and O (am I the only one who was basically in tears while listening to it?).

lol no, you are not

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/threads/99849-The-quot-I-Cried-When-I-Listened-To-O-quot-Thread

join the club, we meet every Monday, Wednesday, Friday

I think that ASFOS deserves to be in the album , it breaks the dark and melancholic atmosphere to put something different and Ghost Stories needs it ! However , i still don't understand why they made a Deluxe version instead of putting all the 12 songs together in the album , and combine O and O part 2 in the same song ... Would have been much better and it would have made Ghost Stories more complete in a certain way , even if it still a great record !

I think True Love is quite loved, but the ones who don't like it are more vocal, so the appearance of a hatred for the song is apparent. This also applies to the album, which is why it seemed like everyone hated to start. Now I know most people have it around third or fourth best Coldplay album, which is extremely reasonable.

Guest kmm1482
wow am I the only one who loves True Love?? Hahaha

Not at all! I can't get the song out of my head!!!

Guest kmm1482

ASFOS sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of the songs. I honestly believe the record company wouldn't let the band release an album without at least one upbeat, radio-friendly hit on it. The part that kills me is that it is *almost* a great song. The production by Aviici completely kills it. As it stands now it sounds like an okay dance remix of a really good Coldplay song. I wish the guys just produced and recorded the song by themselves.

You're ABSOLUTELY right! The execs took one listen and asked "where's the Viva-like arena song??" There's no way this song wasn't forced onto the album by the label. It's so out of place, it makes no sense. I can't wait to get the Target version and replace it with another song. I never thought I would actually say that about a Coldplay song.

Has the album come out? Where are you all listening to it. Doesnt come out here until the 19/05.

Reading the reviews of it though on here doesnt fill me with excitement though. Hardly anyone likes it, and the ones who do like it only like it because its coldplay.

^Yes, the album leaked monday when itunes put up on first-play. You can go to itunes now and stream the album in its entirety or find a download at getleaks or many torrents. The Deluxe version has also leaked onto the internet and can be found at getleaks.

Reading the reviews of it though on here doesnt fill me with excitement though. Hardly anyone likes it, and the ones who do like it only like it because its coldplay.

Not exactly true! Lots of people love GS including myself, not just because its coldplay. Go download it/stream it on iTunes now and see what you think!

Has the album come out? Where are you all listening to it. Doesnt come out here until the 19/05.

I've seen two reviews online that are bad, and five that are good. Idk where everyone is getting the negativity from. Also, the people who said the album was bad only seemed like the majority because they spoke up so much. Majority like the album. I think some thought it would be the best album in the world, which it isn't, and their disappointed about it, but other than that, its a beautiful album with a lot of meaning and a lot of great songs.

^Yes, the album leaked monday when itunes put up on first-play. You can go to itunes now and stream the album in its entirety or find a download at getleaks or many torrents. The Deluxe version has also leaked onto the internet and can be found at getleaks.

Thanks. Just seen it now on itunes, visual album stream. I wouldve thought that this would stop people from buying the album.

Cheers, gonna listen to this badboy in a bit