⭐️DISCUSS COLDPLAY'S RUMOURED UPCOMING ALBUM!🪐
Blakexy1125

Criticisms with the album?

It's not overproduced, it's just produced really 'good'

I really don't understand the All Your Friends hype. It's pretty blah to me.

^ It certainly feels like a Coldplay B-side. I personally like the lyrics, the mood, and how the electronics are more balanced with the instruments. It feels really convincing. I think this one would have fit in the album quite nicely for that reason, maybe in place of True Love, though thematically it wouldn't fit.

Ghost Story is the one that could've fit in imo. Perhaps in place of ASFOS. Such a beautiful song though. And the Coldplay b-sides are so wonderful.

Ive only read a few posts on here though, mostly not sure about the album and how the album is overproduced.

Only time will tell as to how well received this album is

A great number of people including myself haven't posted our reviews of the album yet and wont do so until after its released and we've had a couple of weeks to properly make our minds up. Plus you're in the "Criticisms with the album?" thread so of course you'll be reading negativity. I for one have zero criticism with the album and think its in their top 3 to date.

^ It certainly feels like a Coldplay B-side. I personally like the lyrics, the mood, and how the electronics are more balanced with the instruments. It feels really convincing. I think this one would have fit in the album quite nicely for that reason, maybe in place of True Love, though thematically it wouldn't fit.

Like the actual music is interesting. But er... that singing seems a bit... 'off'.

Ghost Story is the one that could've fit in imo. Perhaps in place of ASFOS. Such a beautiful song though. And the Coldplay b-sides are so wonderful.

I agree GS is a great song, wouldn't have been out of place on the album.

I'm wondering if GS(the album) is perhaps splitting new and older fans, I think the newer fans who only know Coldplay for their sugary pop stuff from their last two albums might be a bit dissapointed whereas older fans who like them for their older bsides and more introverted songs will "get" GS more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You're ABSOLUTELY right! The execs took one listen and asked "where's the Viva-like arena song??" There's no way this song wasn't forced onto the album by the label. It's so out of place, it makes no sense. I can't wait to get the Target version and replace it with another song. I never thought I would actually say that about a Coldplay song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too am certain that this was the case!

I agree that ASFOS doesn't really fit in the album, I don't think the album is really that cohesive at all. tbh i like the ideas/atmosphere of the album more than I like the actual product.

I disagree with the stuff said about ASFOS though

After watching the Zane Lowe interview I realise that the differences between coldplay's uplifting songs (even the older ones like Shiver, Yellow) really aren't that different from the huge uplifting EDM songs that are around atm. The chord progression in ASFOS is still uniquely coldplay, and if the song didn't have those Aviici synths people wouldn't a lot of the criticisms mentioned above. I think the song sounds exaclty like Coldplay, not just Chris singing over an Avicii song or whatever (i'm starting to think i don't actually know how to spell avicci)

But i guess the issue is that yeah, it doesn't really fit. lyrically + emotionally it fits in the context of the album but the production is so vastly different. I don't think this was label execs forcing a Viva-like song on there, i just think it's another example of poor structure/cohesion in the album

I agree GS is a great song, wouldn't have been out of place on the album.

I'm wondering if GS(the album) is perhaps splitting new and older fans, I think the newer fans who only know Coldplay for their sugary pop stuff from their last two albums might be a bit dissapointed whereas older fans who like them for their older bsides and more introverted songs will "get" GS more.

I'm an older fan (2004 on) and I don't like Ghost Stories at all. I love their older B-sides(The World Turned Upside Down is A+) and I don't see how people are comparing older Coldplay with the amount of synthesizers and electronic on Ghost Stories. If there's anything more different from older Coldplay, these are the songs in Ghost Stories (with ~maybe~ the exception of Oceans[which I don't like]).

It's not overproduced, it's just produced really 'good'

Couldn't argue with that :)

Main complaint: ASFOS.

Not sure yet about Ink and True Love, but I have faith in True Love (hey that sounds funny).

I reluctantly forgive Chris his lyrics because in this case, he needed to vent. It's fair if he's less profound in an emotional rant. I would have preferred more mature lyrics but at least this is what he wanted to say. He gets my respect for possibly being his most open since Parachutes and he wasn't even famous back then.

I don't think this album is more about him than previous ones. Yes they're a band and the others have a lot of influence, but he's the main songwriter, the one who comes up with melodies as well as lyrics. It's always been about him, you just notice it more because you know what's been going on in his life and he's honest about it.

Also, the fact that there's less drums doesn't mean Will had less of an influence.

I also like the darker songs best and wished they'd focused on just that. But I'm relieved they didn't continue on their MX path and took a 180 degree turn. Or maybe 135.

Just gut the album from Amazon.de and heard it for the first time. To be honest: I'm a little bit dissappointed - too much electro and syntesizers, too little Jonny and Will. Favourite songs: Always in my head, True Love, Ocean and O. I can't understand what happened to Anothers arms. This song is so amazing in the live Version. The studio version is not good.

I hope this album grows on me. At the moment it is just as bad as Viva la vida. I miss those times when Coldplay wrote Songs like In my place, The scientest, Fix you, Yellow and so on.

^Jonny and Will are all over the album, they're just not playing their "usual" instruments. Also, 50% of Magic is Guy.

^Jonny and Will are all over the album, they're just not playing their "usual" instruments. Also, 50% of Magic is Guy.

Exactly. I wish there were a couple more guitar solos though. :lol:

Regarding the lyrics - I think X&Y has way better and deeper lyrics despite both albums being harshly emotional.

Compare:

What if there was no lie

Nothing wrong, nothing right

What if there was no time

And no reason, or rhyme

What if you should decide

That you don't want me there by your side

That you don't want me there in your life

What if I got it wrong

And no poem or song

Could put right what I got wrong

Or make you feel I belong

Call it magic

Call it true

Call it magic

When I'm with you

And I just got broken

Broken into two

Still I call it magic

When I'm next to you

And I don't, and I don't and I don't, and I don't

No, I don't,

It's true

I don't, no, I don't, no, I don't, no, I don't want anybody else but you

I don't, no, I don't, no, I don't, no, I don't

No, I don't,

It's true

I don't, no, I don't, no, I don't, no, I don't want anybody else but you

Though to be fair I do like Magic a lot for other reasons. Though, on a different note, I really don't like that Chris doesn't play piano on Magic live because it's really not a hard part to play and the acoustic only happens for 20 seconds. I think it takes away from the honesty of the performance for this song. (I can understand for ASFOS since Guy plays the piano at the start since it's an ETIAW-like song).

I like the deluxe tracks. They sound like they were just having fun making them, sort of a boisterous/mischievous kind of fun.

Some of the songs on the album, though, like ASFOS - despite the fact that I like Avicii a lot - are just trying to be modern and cool. And when you try that it almost never works...

The more I hear the album, I think it lacks depth. Really don't know why but I can't see myself hearing this album for 3-4 years while they release something new like I did with MX, Viva, X&Y and AROBBTH. I like the songs, but I don't know why I kind of already tired of hearing them. Not really sure why this is happening. Maybe the fact that the album has not several hits (like the previous ones) or maybe it is a huge style change over I am not yet used to.

The more I hear the album, I think it lacks depth. Really don't know why but I can't see myself hearing this album for 3-4 years while they release something new like I did with MX, Viva, X&Y and AROBBTH. I like the songs, but I don't know why I kind of already tired of hearing them. Not really sure why this is happening. Maybe the fact that the album has not several hits (like the previous ones) or maybe it is a huge style change over I am not yet used to.

I felt the same way, this album is very "what you see is what you get" I have no urge to listen to it full through again because I feel like I've already explored the whole album.

Guest kmm1482

Watching that live leak from 2005 on MTV made me miss the guys just pounding away on their instruments with no synths or over-electronicness. I miss the days of them just playing. Like the start of Square One or Yellow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOO much Gwyneth Paltrow. Electric Drums. None guitar leaded songs.

I'm a huge fan of real instruments, and I think Coldplay is wasting too much talent away with those electric noises.

BUT! I think this album is huge. It has some stunning records that touches my heart and it's on my top three Coldplay albums.

A great number of people including myself haven't posted our reviews of the album yet and wont do so until after its released and we've had a couple of weeks to properly make our minds up. Plus you're in the "Criticisms with the album?" thread so of course you'll be reading negativity. I for one have zero criticism with the album and think its in their top 3 to date.

Actually I'm waiting for your review :)

I felt the same way, this album is very "what you see is what you get" I have no urge to listen to it full through again because I feel like I've already explored the whole album.

Agree 100%.

Actually I'm waiting for your review :)

Thank you same here :)

Thats exactly how I felt towards MX. Just different tastes in music I guess.

What I've noticed from the people around me and all fans in general is people who appreciated their older work are a lot more happy with this album than fans who were introduced to the band during VLV and MX. Thats my observation anyway. The band's biggest issue is that because of their ever-changing style and approaches to making music their audience has grown too big and no matter what they come up with, some will most certainly be disappointed. IF they were ever to go back and produce an album entirely similar to Parachutes and AROBTTH I'm afraid a lot of people will just dismiss it as boring and not "happy" enough maybe.

Thank you same here :)

Thats exactly how I felt towards MX. Just different tastes in music I guess.

What I've noticed from the people around me and all fans in general is people who appreciated their older work are a lot more happy with this album than fans who were introduced to the band during VLV and MX. Thats my observation anyway. The band's biggest issue is that because of their ever-changing style and approaches to making music their audience has grown too big and no matter what they come up with, some will most certainly be disappointed. IF they were ever to go back and produce an album entirely similar to Parachutes and AROBTTH I'm afraid a lot of people will just dismiss it as boring and not "happy" enough maybe.

Yeah, I said in a previous post I thought it might be splitting fans of their older stuff and newer stuff. Apart from the synths and electronic drums, the more downtone nature and songwriting I believe is closer to their earlier stuff (Oceans reminds me of Careful Where You Stand for example).

Yeah, I said in a previous post I thought it might be splitting fans of their older stuff and newer stuff. Apart from the synths and electronic drums, the more downtone nature and songwriting I believe is closer to their earlier stuff (Oceans reminds me of Careful Where You Stand for example).

I was looking forward to this album after hearing it being compared to their old stuff (just like what you said), but I have to admit I am a bit underwhelmed. Their old stuff (pre rush of blood) I could listen to for hours on end back in the days, never grew tired of them. I'm already a bit bored and don't feel the urge to want to listen to GS again. When I compare parachutes to GS the latter lacks depth (although I was quite emotional while listening to the songs, but not really because of the music but because I felt sad and sorry for Chris).