🪐CHECK OUT THE LATEST NEWS AND RUMOURS ON COLDPLAY'S UPCOMING ALBUM🪐

Criticisms with the album?

Yes, I expected at least one song full of rage.

haha I gave that title on purpose.

When I said that, I didn't mean rage songs but songs like Charlie Brown. (Although there's ASFOS, but one case in nine)

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I don't understand:

1 - We heard the album (eg: live versions) before it release and only now, after the release, people start complaning that the album sucks? I mean if it's bad now, then should be before, I guess, and I don't remember seeing any or such "hate".

2 - The album is about a heart-broken, did you really expect songs with "loud and fast" tunes?

3 - It's a personal album, for Chris, of course he made the lyrics weak, so he could express what he feels/felt without "bashing" Gwyneth. He knew this album would become popular because of the breakup so he didn't get into details.

When I heard the album in overall I could feel the "thing" of being heartbroken. GS is all about that.

I don't think your arguments make a lot of sense (not saying that I think you should dislike the album or anything!):

1 - I'm not sure what "people" you're referring to. Most "hate" would come from negative reviews which obviously wouldn't be posted before the album came out. We only heard a couple songs before the album came out and I think plenty of people were critical towards them. Also, I just don't get the point of your argument. Why does it matter when people give their opinion?

2 - Why can songs about being heart-broken not be more loud and fast? Also, why does that mean people can't point out that Coldplay are simply better at making "loud and fast tunes"?

3 - "Of course he made the lyrics weak"... ehm what? His lyrics are shitty on purpose?

Guest howyousawtheworld

I'm finding it very hard to criticise this album. My criticism of MX seemed to increase with each listen and I seemed to dislike it as the weeks went on. This one I am finding it hard to find any needle with it. It's not the greatest album ever made but it never set out to be that. It's the band wearing it's heart on its sleeve. The lyrics aren't Morrissey, we all know that. But they are forgivable when delivered in Chris's sensitive and soulful voice. A Rush Of Blood To The Head showcased Chris's vocal beauty to the max and this comes very close to it. That iciness, that fragility - I think it's lovely. The album is airy, spacey and light. It's efficient and cool. This album will be appreciated in time and in context of Coldplay's canon. It's very much my definition of Coldplay and is a fresh reminder that I NEED this band every now and again. I need them like I need tea in the cupboard. If it's not there, I'm going to know about it.

Read either of the following two reviews. I guess they have a point:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/05/ghost-stories-just-when-you-thought-coldplay-couldnt-get-more-boring/371160/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/20/gwyneth-paltrow-haunts-coldplay-s-self-conscious-breakup-album-ghost-stories.html

Their point basically is: "Without accessibly heartening melodies that plead for our approval, what's the point of Coldplay, in the first place?"

I don't think your arguments make a lot of sense (not saying that I think you should dislike the album or anything!):

1 - I'm not sure what "people" you're referring to. Most "hate" would come from negative reviews which obviously wouldn't be posted before the album came out. We only heard a couple songs before the album came out and I think plenty of people were critical towards them. Also, I just don't get the point of your argument. Why does it matter when people give their opinion?

2 - Why can songs about being heart-broken not be more loud and fast? Also, why does that mean people can't point out that Coldplay are simply better at making "loud and fast tunes"?

3 - "Of course he made the lyrics weak"... ehm what? His lyrics are shitty on purpose?

Maybe I didn't explain myself right because english isn't my main language, but I'll try my best.

1 - I was refering to us, coldplayers. So far from what I saw people were loving the tracks and now I don't see that anymore. I find it a little weird. But maybe it's just my impression, idk.

2 - I don't see sad songs with fast/happy tunes. It's rare.

3 - No, I'm saying that he made the lyrics so """weak""" since he wanted to express what he felt/feels without getting too personal.

For example, Taylor Swift, she gets too personal on her songs which makes media and people trying to get in her life and making fun of it, maybe Chris was trying to avoid that.

I hope it's more clear now, if it's not, I'm sorry.

And then again, this is just my opinion.

Read either of the following two reviews. I guess they have a point:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/05/ghost-stories-just-when-you-thought-coldplay-couldnt-get-more-boring/371160/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/20/gwyneth-paltrow-haunts-coldplay-s-self-conscious-breakup-album-ghost-stories.html

Their point basically is: "Without accessibly heartening melodies that plead for our approval, what's the point of Coldplay, in the first place?"

gotta tell you i hate this Gwyneth Paltrow mentioning in writing a review about Ghots Stories,its like they(the ones that wrote the review) are selling it,ffs we don't care about their private lives,why does the personal life of 1 coldplay member should be mentioned so many times.Amirite ?

I'm finding it very hard to criticise this album. My criticism of MX seemed to increase with each listen and I seemed to dislike it as the weeks went on. This one I am finding it hard to find any needle with it. It's not the greatest album ever made but it never set out to be that. It's the band wearing it's heart on its sleeve. The lyrics aren't Morrissey, we all know that. But they are forgivable when delivered in Chris's sensitive and soulful voice. A Rush Of Blood To The Head showcased Chris's vocal beauty to the max and this comes very close to it. That iciness, that fragility - I think it's lovely. The album is airy, spacey and light. It's efficient and cool. This album will be appreciated in time and in context of Coldplay's canon. It's very much my definition of Coldplay and is a fresh reminder that I NEED this band every now and again. I need them like I need tea in the cupboard. If it's not there, I'm going to know about it.

This x100000!! You've completely summed up how I feel!

So many bad/average reviews and my opinion about the album hasn't changed since the first time I listened to it.

I was in the same boat, until the mass amount of negativity started flowing in with some of the reviews. I don't usually let others' opinions change my viewpoint on something, but it did for Ghost Stories. I still loved the album, but it just didn't feel as it did when I first proclaimed my love for the album. That, of course, changed within about two days and now I don't care anymore. As howyousawtheworld said, it's becoming increasingly difficult to think of things to complain about because I genuinely adore this album. While I have a few small complaints, it's nothing that knocks the favorability down for myself. I'm just glad we got a Coldplay record that was subtle, quiet and relaxing to listen to.

Hello all.

I've got the album yesterday and I have to say, to be honest, that my first impression is not positive. Some people may think that first impressions need to be overlooked but in this case, I beg to differ.

I've been listening Coldplay from their EPs era (before Parachutes), like any other person who was into Radiohead, The Smiths and such, Coldplay was a "new thing" to hear and listen to. At first it didn't impressed me much. My opinion in those days was "well they are trying to emulate Radiohead's sound" or "Well, that guitar sounds a little bit like The Edge". Stuff like that. I was young.

With Parachutes and A rush... my opinion started to change and respect their music and going back to their EPs and demos was different. X & Y represented for me "the eager to please" media and fans, perhaps new fans, become worldwide and such. It's not a bad album, I mean, the weak parts are even better than MX.

Now, the second era, where most "new" Coldplay fans come from has this "trilogy" (I don't understand the concept of trilogy, in my personal opinion the first three albums are not part of any trilogy nor the second bunch) found a different Coldplay, trying to please more and more the mainstream. Viva la vida is an "ok" album in my opinion, it has great songs but some of them are quite flat. MX is a trainwreck. To understand me, you need to think where I come from: Echo and the bunnymen, The Smiths, etc. So, I thought that Ghost Stories was going to be "the real back to roots" album. Wrong.

I don't know where to start, so I'll try to be precise with the things that I disliked:

-No acoustic drums. I don't know if anyone else said this, but the whole "electronic" thing doesn't appeal me at all. Is that your "new sound"? I mean, lots of bands did that: went from real music instruments to fully electronic synths and samples. Some of them succeeded, some of them sank. Even though Will champion probably "played" the keys, for me it's a big no-no from a band that can do better.

-Lack of Johnny Buckland's magic. I don't know, I love Johnny but here is like he was minimized at is fullest. I don't even understand what's the point of this. I'm still scratching my head.

-Poor lyrics. We all know C.M isn't a good lyricist or a poet, but come on, I think everyone can come up with better lines, choruses and stuff. Why so weak? Someone said "there's a thin line between being introspective and being whiny". C.M is whiny during the whole record and I hate this.

-The whole album athmosphere feels like "The Chris Martin's solo album". Sorry, it feels like this. In some tracks I don't even know if there's any other person doing something but C.M.

-Lack of "Coldplay" feeling. You know, they were "indie" (I hate that word) in the past, then they became known, then they bacome big. A lot of time passed from the unfamous MX and I was expecting better from Ghost Stories. I seriously was expecting something like "A politik" or "Don't Panic", when you can clearly hear 4 musicians doing music. Ghost stories is just synths and over-produced spacey ambiences that doesn't even sound like the sound that Coldplay was well known to deliver. I really prefer "A message" or "Green eyes" to any Ghost Storie's track, because that's honest. That's musicians doing music. We can discuss if Rihanna or Justin Bieber do music.

I have so many complains about the album but you get the idea. You get the gist. There are two group of fans: the ones that will love anything and the others that besides listening Coldplay listen to other bands (and when I mean bands I am not reffering to Black Eyed Peas, that's not a band) and feel quite disappointed with an album like this and will be honest saying that GS is probably their worst work.

Anyway, don't get fuzzed about my opinion. It's that: my opinion. Have a nice day.

Hello all.

I've got the album yesterday and I have to say, to be honest, that my first impression is not positive. Some people may think that first impressions need to be overlooked but in this case, I beg to differ.

I've been listening Coldplay from their EPs era (before Parachutes), like any other person who was into Radiohead, The Smiths and such, Coldplay was a "new thing" to hear and listen to. At first it didn't impressed me much. My opinion in those days was "well they are trying to emulate Radiohead's sound" or "Well, that guitar sounds a little bit like The Edge". Stuff like that. I was young.

With Parachutes and A rush... my opinion started to change and respect their music and going back to their EPs and demos was different. X & Y represented for me "the eager to please" media and fans, perhaps new fans, become worldwide and such. It's not a bad album, I mean, the weak parts are even better than MX.

Now, the second era, where most "new" Coldplay fans come from has this "trilogy" (I don't understand the concept of trilogy, in my personal opinion the first three albums are not part of any trilogy nor the second bunch) found a different Coldplay, trying to please more and more the mainstream. Viva la vida is an "ok" album in my opinion, it has great songs but some of them are quite flat. MX is a trainwreck. To understand me, you need to think where I come from: Echo and the bunnymen, The Smiths, etc. So, I thought that Ghost Stories was going to be "the real back to roots" album. Wrong.

I don't know where to start, so I'll try to be precise with the things that I disliked:

-No acoustic drums. I don't know if anyone else said this, but the whole "electronic" thing doesn't appeal me at all. Is that your "new sound"? I mean, lots of bands did that: went from real music instruments to fully electronic synths and samples. Some of them succeeded, some of them sank. Even though Will champion probably "played" the keys, for me it's a big no-no from a band that can do better.

-Lack of Johnny Buckland's magic. I don't know, I love Johnny but here is like he was minimized at is fullest. I don't even understand what's the point of this. I'm still scratching my head.

-Poor lyrics. We all know C.M isn't a good lyricist or a poet, but come on, I think everyone can come up with better lines, choruses and stuff. Why so weak? Someone said "there's a thin line between being introspective and being whiny". C.M is whiny during the whole record and I hate this.

-The whole album athmosphere feels like "The Chris Martin's solo album". Sorry, it feels like this. In some tracks I don't even know if there's any other person doing something but C.M.

-Lack of "Coldplay" feeling. You know, they were "indie" (I hate that word) in the past, then they became known, then they bacome big. A lot of time passed from the unfamous MX and I was expecting better from Ghost Stories. I seriously was expecting something like "A politik" or "Don't Panic", when you can clearly hear 4 musicians doing music. Ghost stories is just synths and over-produced spacey ambiences that doesn't even sound like the sound that Coldplay was well known to deliver. I really prefer "A message" or "Green eyes" to any Ghost Storie's track, because that's honest. That's musicians doing music. We can discuss if Rihanna or Justin Bieber do music.

I have so many complains about the album but you get the idea. You get the gist. There are two group of fans: the ones that will love anything and the others that besides listening Coldplay listen to other bands (and when I mean bands I am not reffering to Black Eyed Peas, that's not a band) and feel quite disappointed with an album like this and will be honest saying that GS is probably their worst work.

Anyway, don't get fuzzed about my opinion. It's that: my opinion. Have a nice day.

Or you know there's a third option with in that people are like me and listen to many other different artists and like this album as well. Not sure how you can say don't get fuzzed it's just your opinion after only saying there are only 2 different groups of fans. How dare there be a third group, or maybe even a fifth. So crazy I know

I actually like the album more and more but the lyric "your body on my body" makes me laugh and cringe at the same time with how bad it is. Other than that not bad. Songs ocean and o are beautiful

Anothers arms is just full of cringe. I write better than that shit...

Is Chris Martin losing it? When was the last masterpiece song? It wasn't On MX and it isn't on GS. I feel that Martins lyrics noticeably took a down turn on MX and the trend has continued with GS. Id say that Viva on back were Martin's best lyrical works.

Guest kmm1482
Anothers arms is just full of cringe. I write better than that shit...

I've thought the exact same thing since I first heard it at iTunes Fest. It's like what a lovesick 13 year old would write.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Chris Martin losing it? When was the last masterpiece song? It wasn't On MX and it isn't on GS. I feel that Martins lyrics noticeably took a down turn on MX and the trend has continued with GS. Id say that Viva on back were Martin's best lyrical works.

The best song IMO has been UATW. They definitely aren't what they used to be.