🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

Criticisms with the album?

I have put A Sky Full of Stars off the tracklist and replaced it with Ghost Story, i like ASFOS but it doesnt fit the rest of the album at all, it would be better for MX.

Ghost Story doesn't fit the album either, if you think about... Actual drums, and a much louder rock feel to it. I like it but I just had to remove it from the tracklist after including it for about a week.

O pt 2 and All your Friends still flow with the rest of the album so I kept those in.

[video=youtube;Fct7QGQl3Ik]

Thought to include this video, mostly because he's a really in depth reviews. He deserves a lot of attention for his reviewing style, too.

This guy is so pretentious and over dramatic, just for the sake of being over dramatic. His reviews are terrible. Watch his Arcade Fire -- Reflektor review; he completely misinterprets the meanings of the songs and just bags on the album without any real reason. He's just overly negative just to create the illusion that he's highly opinionated and knows what he's talking about.

Anthony Fantano (aka theneedledrop) on the other hand, is a phenomenal reviewer and I've discovered a lot of GREAT new music through him. And I basically agree with him on GS. The only difference is I'm completely fine with all the problems he mentions. As a hardcore fine, I'll welcome true music from the heart with open arms when it's from Coldplay.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda surprised this is getting panned more than Mylo Xyloto. I remember basically being lynched on here for daring to say negative things about that album. Ghost Stories isn't great, but damn is it infinitely more listenable than MX.

^ I think everyone agrees Ghost Stories is just a great big "meeeeh", there's nothing really special about ir, while Mylo Xyloto had stronger songs, which made people hate it or love it, there's no in between for it.

I don't really get all the hate too. The whole atmospheric/downtempo direction they've taken is probably one of the most interesting things they've ever done. To be honest, my expectations were really low before Midnight was relased, because I thought they would have gone full nostalgia and make a clone of AROBTTH just to please the old fans (see Keane with Strangeland), but luckily they didn't (with the exception of Oceans maybe, even though it doesn't sound "forced" at all and works perfectly in the album context). Actually, I'd put this album up there together with Viva, but maybe it's just that I've been listening mostly to electronic music lately.

Guest kmm1482

I would LOVE if the next album was an Oceans/Ghost Story/Midnight sounding album

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea why anyone wouldnt want more songs as brilliant as Amsterdam, warning sign, god put a smile, politik, or... square one, til kingdom come, low or... lovers in Japan, 42, yes or... don't panic, trouble, spies or... like their last brilliant bonus track ghost story. Rush 2.0, x&y 2.0? Fine with me!

But actually I just would like to them to make an album with stronger, high quality music. Most tracks from gs are not up there.

Ghost story being a very good example of being something in between rush and viva but still original. They prove they can do that :)

I think people fail to realize that Coldplay developed it's strong loyal following from 1998-1999 through 2002.. That core of fans is happy with Ghost Stories more than the last 3 albums. X&y and mx have wonderful rock songs.. This album is Coldplay being themselves.. And us longtime fans love it

I have no idea why people are saying they want total rehashes of old albums - chances are if it happened people would complain about it.

One of the understated ways that Coldplay has grown is the range of style/colors in their sound. Although Parachutes and Rush are the foundation to their sound, I find it much easier to play those albums in the background. Viva, MX, and Ghost Stories feel more like theatrical productions that can't be ignored.

Honestly, I'm really glad that Radiohead didn't recreate their first two albums. You may not like all their records, but at least they each had their own soul. And for that matter, I don't think Coldplay has ever put as much heart into their music as now. Cheers to the vibrant future:)

Guest kmm1482
I have no idea why people are saying they want total rehashes of old albums - chances are if it happened people would complain about it.

I think there's a difference between "rehashing" and "reconnecting" with an initial sound. I wouldn't want it to be forced, but to step back and see that they're a GREAT band that doesn't ALWAYS need drum machines and synths. That they broke into the world with a more raw, emotional sound. But yeah, a song called 'Yellow Again' with lyrics like "Look at the stars again, look how how they still shine for you" would be horrific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I love Ghost Stories, I really do. I think it's a shame the album appears to be about Chris' break-up. You can definitely tell the album is about a break-up if that's how you want to perceive it. I think it would be ok if the album was by a solo artist and was about their break-up. I can imagine that making the album and performing songs from it would be therapeutic for Chris. Not only him, but other people going through difficult times of any sort. I wish Guy, Jonny and Will had included some part of their life in the album. Then again it is a very personal thing and would make them feel vulnerable and exposed. The album may be inspired by all 4 of the guys' lives, we never know.

Also, I found Sky Full of Stars bizarre when I heard it and don't feel like it belongs on Ghost Stories. It's too up-beat, whereas the rest of the album is dark and slightly eerie. The song has grown on me though and does make me smile, especially after seeing it performed live and the "Woo" bit at the end of the song in live performances when everyone joins in.

x

• 1 month later...

^Which reminds me, I ought to revoke some of my criticisms. I had really high expectations for Ghost Stories after Midnight and Magic were dropped because they are just stellar tracks. When I first heard the iTunes release though I was super disappointed. I thought ASFOS was going to be the best thing ever but, well, you know what happened. Ink was just meh to me and True Love epitomized the sound I didn't want Coldplay to follow. After listening about ten times I decided it was my least favourite Coldplay record.

But now, with the benefit of hindsight, I have to say I really like Ghost Stories as much as I liked MX. Ink is probably the most infectious and instantly happy song to me and I even have softened up a little to True Love. ASFOS is on the radio every two seconds where I am from, and I have to say, compared to the rest of Top 40 pop, it isn't half bad to hear Chris Martin and a piano :)

I guess my only final complaint now that I have made up my mind on the album is that the production is too perfect. Songs that I otherwise would have loved until the end of time were just too clean for me. Oceans hardly feels raw like Parachutes, and Fly On barely feels as atmospheric and sincere as AROBTTH. But that is pretty much it for me, the tracks are all pretty catchy, beautiful and well produced. I just think more live instrumentation and better recording would have made it better for me.

I guess my only final complaint now that I have made up my mind on the album is that the production is too perfect. Songs that I otherwise would have loved until the end of time were just too clean for me. Oceans hardly feels raw like Parachutes, and Fly On barely feels as atmospheric and sincere as AROBTTH. But that is pretty much it for me, the tracks are all pretty catchy, beautiful and well produced. I just think more live instrumentation and better recording would have made it better for me.

Coldplay are definitely entering an age of maturity and precision when it comes to production. Despite the solipsism surrounding Chris' lyrics and songwriting, this record features a surprising amount of experimentation by the full band. Each and every song features some unique offering from each member. I think the most interesting are Will's contributions. The variety of electric and acoustic drums—almost all of which he plays live—make for a completely new pulse on this album. I agree that the blatant an easy criticism is the lack of human element.

The truth is that as the boys get older, they'll want to be involved in the industry in many ways. Just as Guy as has done some producing himself, I imagine the rest of the band will also work in the studio as mentors in various ways. Ghost Stories, along with Mylo Xyloto, are models of expertise that show these guys know how to make grammy-winning rock albums.

Having all that said, there's no doubt in my mind that Coldplay will be back with something with a bit more depth and vigor!

The melodies are pretty good, but the end result is just bland, flat. I like all the songs, but I don't really love them, maybe only Midnitght which is great.

Think you've pretty much nailed it there. "I like all the songs, but I don't really love them"

Definitely feels like an album that needed to be made. I've got no qualms with the production, and have to say that I find the ethereal synth haze of this album perfectly suits it. We can't kid ourselves that this would have been Parachutes MKII without it, as the songs just aren't strong enough. they're pretty much all 7 or 8/10 with a few higher ones chucked in. Its a weird one as its a great flowing body of work, more like Viva than MX but it is just missing a few of the 'classic' Coldplay hits. Sorta feels more like an extended EP than an album :\

Think you've pretty much nailed it there. "I like all the songs, but I don't really love them"

Definitely feels like an album that needed to be made. I've got no qualms with the production, and have to say that I find the ethereal synth haze of this album perfectly suits it. We can't kid ourselves that this would have been Parachutes MKII without it, as the songs just aren't strong enough. they're pretty much all 7 or 8/10 with a few higher ones chucked in. Its a weird one as its a great flowing body of work, more like Viva than MX but it is just missing a few of the 'classic' Coldplay hits. Sorta feels more like an extended EP than an album :\

Thank you. I read far too many times on this forum, that people find GS very much to be like Parachutes.. How on earth... can they be on the same level: Spies, Dont panic, Sparks, yellow vs. Ink, anothers arms, magic, sky full of stars.. omg! I can imagen that people love GS, relate to it... feel it's more special than MX, but seriously.. can we stop putting these 2 together. Parachutes is nostalgic, memorable, true, honest, raw, classic, clean, just one of the best debuts albums ever. Every song on it is incredible, it's music that you just embrace, that get this special place in your heart. GS is nice, but the songs dont compare, most are a lot weaker. And yes, it's missing classics.

GS would have been stronger if the production would have been more raw. I love the version Chris did from Always in my head at Sirius FM. Very beautiful, so much better without the glossy polishing.

• 1 month later...

^I just wonder where it would have fit in. I think the album flows really well as is, and maybe they just couldn't contextualize it within the all the electronics. I personally like it as a B-side because for me it is just too acoustic and guitar slappy to fit in.

Plus, and I know I am a minority hear, I just don't think the song is fully fleshed out. I haven't really returned to it as much as I thought I might, Chris' falsetto just kind of annoys me. Instrumentally and production wise, it is a great track though.

• 1 month later...