🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

It's the type of happiness though. At least for me, the "happiness" this album is trying to portray is not genuine, rather the "Buy Coke and you'll be happy" or "Buy the Beats Pill to be happy" kind of happiness. Except now it's "Buy Coldplay to be happy". This is corporate pop at it's finest, superficial at worst, specious at best.

Happiness and joy are two very different things. Coldplay's melancholic music gives me more joy than this ever could as it's something I can actually relate to. It's a lot easier to relate to "Oh, no, what's this? A spider web, and I'm caught in the middle, So I turned to run,The thought of all the stupid things I've done" than "My heart goes ba boom ba boom"

Melancholia is not happiness to me and doesn't give me joy. It has its own beauty for sure but its certainly not happy or hopeful. And I feel the happiness in AHFOD exactly the opposite you do, that is I feel it very genuine and hard earned (as I wrote earlier). Just because something is exuberant it doesn't mean its shallow. Maybe because I quite relate to it. I´ve been through some pretty heavy stuff in my life (no need for details) and being able to come out of it and still have an open heart and faith in the future was such an enormous achievement for me that if I could, I would have written A sky full of stars hehe Good someone else wrote it for me :)

So yeah I guess its about whether you can relate to a certain feeling the songs are attempting to portray. Some do, some won't. But let me just say that when Chris sings "under this pressure, under this weight, we are diamonds taking shape" I certainly can feel in those words the full extent and pain of that pressure/weight and what it has taken for him to come out of it with the realisation that it was ultimately a gift.

• Like 4
  • Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's why I like AHFOD: the happiness feels real and honest, and the moments of melancholy are genuine. It's not like MX where it seemed like they were pretending to be happy (Charlie Brown) or sad (Up in Flames), regarding Chris' voice and lyrics.

It's not like MX where it seemed like they were pretending to be happy (Charlie Brown) or sad (Up in Flames), regarding Chris' voice and lyrics.

I remember a quote once that went like "We see the world not as it is but as we are". I find it so true!

And Charlie Brown has got some of my favourite lyrics ever "In my scarecrow dreams, When they smashed my heart into smithereens, Be a bright red rose come bursting the concrete"

• Like 1
I can accept Take That strangely (they had a massive commercial and critical hit with Progress and the incredible tour that followed it) but Maroon 5 - I don't ever want to see Coldplay in that bracket and I never thought they would be in that bracket 10-13 years ago but sadly that is the case.

I'm also kind of disappointed that this album hasn't got sub 60 on metacritic.

Either way, they are in desperate need of a hiatus after the tour. I bought tickets for that tour but work like this makes it difficult to get really excited about it. I don't envisage myself singing along to HFTW. Heck, the 'woahhhhs' in AHFOD will make me all 'woaahhhed' out by time Viva gets played.

Maybe that gig will be a final rendezvous with the band I loved from the end of my primary days right through secondary school. Whether it is a final sign off for me with Coldplay is really up to the band and what they decide to produce on their 8th album. If it's more r'nb inspired American trash pop trite consider me (and everyone else from generation Oldplay) done.

Agree with all you said. I'm glad you've found the will to go and see them again. Serious oldplayer commitment! I didn't even buy the album. And the way their live shows are the the moment I think if I attended it will only further reinforce my disconnection.

Happiness and joy are two very different things. Coldplay's melancholic music gives me more joy than this ever could as it's something I can actually relate to. It's a lot easier to relate to "Oh, no, what's this? A spider web, and I'm caught in the middle, So I turned to run,The thought of all the stupid things I've done" than "My heart goes ba boom ba boom"

Excellent point. I'm afraid it's all ba boom ba boom for the foreseeable future.

So I made a song using a sample from Up and Up- the woman (I think it's Gwyneth) at the very end of the track. As soon as I heard it- I could just see a song from it. She sings just three notes....I edited another note on the end..and just looped it. And the song came from there.

Does anyone know if that sample that closes the album is Gwyneth?

Well, hope you enjoy and tell me what you guys think!

[MEDIA=bandcamp]track_id=335299296[/MEDIA]

• Like 1
So I made a song using a sample from Up and Up- the woman (I think it's Gwyneth) at the very end of the track. As soon as I heard it- I could just see a song from it. She sings just three notes....I edited another note on the end..and just looped it. And the song came from there.

I'd really love to hear it but it says unsupported video for me.

It's the type of happiness though. At least for me, the "happiness" this album is trying to portray is not genuine, rather the "Buy Coke and you'll be happy" or "Buy the Beats Pill to be happy" kind of happiness. Except now it's "Buy Coldplay to be happy". This is corporate pop at it's finest, superficial at worst, specious at best.

I'm still trying to decide whether your first paragraph (about the band losing genuineness/ authenticity) feels true to me or not... But the 2nd paragraph (about relating to them), I find it extremely funny that both the bits of music you chose to contrast the feelings of true joy vs superficial happiness from Coldplay (for you), happen to both be very significant and relatable for me... The opening lyrics from Trouble was the first bit of their music that I truly connected with - I fell in love with this band the first time I heard those lines; whereas the "ba-boom, ba-boom, boom!" of XMTS is the most recent bit of their music that moves me... Yes, they move me in quite different ways, but one doesn't feel less genuine than the other... Funny how music moves people in different ways :D

Man you oldplayers are downers, no wonder you like there first albums so much [emoji13] just kidding guys, I completely respect and even to an extent understand your point of view. But I do believe this album is both happy and joyous. It almost feels like a celebration of everything they've accomplished up until now, like an after party. An acceptance of the bad and enjoyment of the good. You can feel that they enjoyed making this record very much. Lyrically it's not as bad as people are making it out to be, in fact I'd argue this album has some truly great lyrics. The music is simple and easy to sing along to, but that's always been the case with Coldplay. The backbone of what makes Coldplay, Coldplay are all here, Chris's earnest voice, Johnny's dreamy guitar, Will's infectious beats, and Guy's simple yet powerful bass. I think production is what most people have a problem with, but they wanted to give true 100% pop production a go with stargate, and in most ways, at least for me and many many others it worked quite well. I would be disappointed if LP8 sounded like straight modern pop again, not cause I don't like this album, but because I've come to expect them to always do something out of left field while still maintaining what makes them, them.

• Like 4
Man you oldplayers are downers, no wonder you like there first albums so much [emoji13] just kidding guys,

I would be disappointed if LP8 sounded like straight modern pop again, not cause I don't like this album, but because I've come to expect them to always do something out of left field while still maintaining what makes them, them.

LOL to the first! I dont know others but the music I listen to definitely reflects how I feel in a particular moment and generally it does reflect all the aspects of me really :) Like I never feel super angry or aggressive so I dont listen to metal. (not saying metal is only for super angry people haha but its that association/feeling it gives me when I listen to it). And I must say I almost never listen to melancholic songs now, except if I am sad, which , luckily, happens not so often.

I agree with you on projections/hopes for LP8! I also expect/would like a totally different album. I like them changing too :)

• Like 1

I believe its actually Chris's current girlfriend Annabelle Wallis from what ive heard. It wouldnt make sense for his ex wife to say that lol. But yeah good idea to do that

I hate how Chris has been flip-flopping his answers to interviewers when they ask him whether AHFOD is their last album. He always replies with something like: "I feel like we've come in a complete circle, and everything we've done has led up to this." and "I am so happy to be a part of this band right now," etc. etc. without specifically revealing whether or not Coldplay will split up after the Head Full of Dreams tour. But...

You haven't known Chris long, have you? haha He does that EVERY album. He once explained it as, if they didn't act like each album was their last one, they wouldn't put everything they had into it. And on some level that does make sense. When the end of something is impending, more effort tends to go on.

But he does the same damn thing with what his favorite Coldplay song is! True Love was his favorite Coldplay song last album, which had me to the point of tears. Now he says his favorite moment is XMtS but his favorite song is AHFoD? I'm just relieved by the latter. But Chris is an odd guy. He always has been. I don't think he'll ever stop changing, in terms of music taste, outlook on life, etc.

Chris is like white-water splashing everywhere (especially live). Incredibly unfocused but brilliant in it's madness. Deeper at some points (The Scientist, Clocks, Viva, UAtW, O, Birds) than others when it hits the rocks (PoC, Magic, True Love, ASFOS, XMtS). You just wish you could capture some of that energy and harness it for a beautiful and powerful end (ARoBttH, VlVoDaAHF) like electricity to power hospitals and schools as opposed to looking on helplessly as it all tumbles over the cliff and goes to waste (GS). :p

Couldn't resist.

This sounds like Motion Picture Soundtrack (Radiohead) . Incredible work, my friend, should've been on AHFOD:D

Thanks! Actually, a friend of mine ..who's really talented ...tore it apart. Said the vox were shite ...and the bass/drums weren't mixed right. So I went back to work on it. Completely redid the vox.. Since you really liked it...I really want to hear if you think the new version is better or worse. I'll post it again when I'm done. I might be ruining it ..for all I know...that's why I think I could trust your opinion since you seemed to dig my style and influences.

Weird question here:

I just made like 3 different myAHFOD covers!

And I sent 2 of them to my email address and one to a different one.

Still I don't see them. Not even in my spam folder!

How long does it usually take?

Here's the one I need the pdf, video and artwork for:

[ATTACH=full]3528[/ATTACH]

• Like 2
Guest diogo_sg
Weird question here:

I just made like 3 different myAHFOD covers!

And I sent 2 of them to my email address and one to a different one.

Still I don't see them. Not even in my spam folder!

How long does it usually take?

Here's the one I need the pdf, video and artwork for:

[ATTACH=full]3528[/ATTACH]

Mine took several days to arrive, so I wouldn't be worried if I were you [emoji6]

PS: that cover is really cool!