📺 STREAM COLDPLAY AT GLASTONBURY 2002 REMASTERED IN HD 📺
Kingzilla

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

Geez, thanks guys... I'm kinda in awe at the response to the post! As for the album ranking, I still haven't settled for one yet... Unlike GS for me, this one still feels it's got some ways to go yet before it settles itself, both in terms of how it ranks within all their other albums, and how it ranks by itself.

Musically (i.e. from a more technical and inspirational / originality of music perspective), it currently keeps see-sawing between a 5-7/10 for me... That doesn't bother me as I've never thought they were as gifted or brilliant as say Radiohead. But in terms of musical connection (i.e. how much I like the album based on whatever factors / biases / how I feel about it), I would say it swings quite a lot - sometimes it's a 5/10, other times it actually reaches an 8 or more... The interesting thing is, after hitting 8, it doesn't hook into a 9 or 10, rather it just feels more profound and moving than ever before - certainly makes me feel 'alive again' :)

I agree with gentleparachute. With the release of A Head Full of Dreams, I see a different band. It's Coldplay alright but without giving a f***k on charts, records, on what the critics have to say.. everything. Seems like the band is indeed in a much comfortable place right now. The album for me is being grateful that we are alive, whether we are currently experiencing pain and challenges or simply mesmerized by how simple things could bring happiness... I found peace in this record though sometimes there are certain points wherein it gets too poppy for my taste.

• Like 6

With the release of A Head Full of Dreams, I see a different band. It's Coldplay alright but without giving a f***k on charts, records, on what the critics have to say.. everything.

Uhm, I feel completely the opposite. To me this album sounds totally made for the charts, the kind of music 100% made to be played 450 times a day by radios for a few months, but then drops off pretty quickly because it's nothing memorable, really.

• Like 6

Basically, my official thoughts on the album are this- there's some sprinkled magic in there- Birds, Amazing Day, Kalediscope..

And I even think Birds and Amazing Day are some of the best songs they've done since AROBTTH.

But the rest- is really ... not so good. And the main reason is...they're using tricks by the professionals ...and these professionals are usually hired for people with little talent...to throw in clap tracks and ...work with guest stars.. to release that ultimate radio-friendly pop music.

These are tricks that a band like Coldplay has never needed ...or probably wanted.

And it does bother me...if I think that these are tricks Coldplay are going to be using from now on... instead of just being a band again.

• Like 4

Basically, my official thoughts on the album are this- there's some sprinkled magic in there- Birds, Amazing Day, Kalediscope..

And I even think Birds and Amazing Day are some of the best songs they've done since AROBTTH.

But the rest- is really ... not so good. And the main reason is...they're using tricks by the professionals ...and these professionals are usually hired for people with little talent...to throw in clap tracks and ...work with guest stars.. to release that ultimate radio-friendly pop music.

These are tricks that a band like Coldplay has never needed ...or probably wanted.

And it does bother me...if I think that these are tricks Coldplay are going to be using from now on... instead of just being a band again.

it's such a mixed bag with several real highs and terrible lows. ultimately the lows outweigh the highs in number and in quality. that's why this was disappointing for me.

At first listen I didn't like Fun at all, I skipped it the first 5 or 6 times I listened to the album but it's grown on me like crazy, it's a really good song and the kind of duet that serves a purpose, unlike Princess of China, now Fun is one of my top 3 songs in AHFOD.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Half expect Coldplay being the most listened band on Spotify the last week.

Good news though is that The Beatles are to be released on streaming services from tomorrow.

Overall, I can say I'm really impressed with some of the vibes that A Head Full Of Dreams manage to give me. It's sort of like each song on the album represents different dreams, with all of them being positive (of course). You dive in to the title track thinking, 'this is Coldplay's Joshua Tree impression' but it's more than that. It's a colourful tune with wonderful instrumentation. Those opening lines of Colour Spectrum that go into those 'Oceans' like beats feel like a countdown until the song kicks off, it's so adrenaline-pumping and awesome. Yes it sounds like U2, so what? U2 is good, so this is good! Don't think that Chris and co are trying to copy them, it's the way they would like to play music. Then Birds is uplifting and bouncy, sure it may end to soon but it doesn't put off the pure exciting experience and vibes you receive during it. As for Hymn, I'm not too sure about it being up there with the likes of 'Yellow' and 'Clocks' and 'Paradise' but it's joyful, it's different. The lyrics may not be good at all, but it's just a 'fun' phase that Coldplay are having, like U2 with 'Pop'. 'Pop' was more of a rock record per say(Do You Feel Loved, Mofo) , but it was still trying to act like a poppier release from Bono's band. Coldplay are doing the same with AHFOD, but just a little more lighter and less grittier. Who knows, they could change their style and go back to their older, original sound (one can dream:rolleyes:) but for now they just wanted to make this record. And it's listenable and it may not be a touch on older gems but it's still very good. Everglow may be a little boring, but at the same time if you listen closer, it's also very beautiful. AOAL is the lead single, and it's a really solid disco-rock track. Come on, you can't say Flo Rida or Bieber influenced this. More like 80's or maybe even U2's Pop inspiration that did the trick. Fun was originally thought as the PoC of the album at first, but no. It turned out to be pretty much EVERYONES favourite track, the vocals from Tove Lo and Chris just blend together so well. I have no idea why people don't like the interludes Kaleidoscope and Colour Spectrum. They're short but sweet additions to this colossal poppy alternative album. One of them has a beautiful Viva-like classical piano intro and a poet narrating a poem. The other is a collection of ambience that happened at the beginning of the album. I love them both equally. Army Of One may be my least favourite on the album, and that's just opinion. To be honest, the X&Y like synths fit really well on the song and I like one or two of the lyrics. As for X Marks The Spot, it's just Coldplay experimenting. Not good, but not that bad as it originally seemed first listen. Better than any charts RNB stuff today in my opinion. Amazing Day is another stand out ballad on the album, so the lyrics may not be complicated. So what? It's still a wonder of a song and the instrumentation I applaud again. Up&Up is a perfect closer in every way, production for the guitar riffs may not be that great. So what? They still stand out live. To conclude what I've just said, this album may not be some people's cup of tea but it's just Coldplay trying to experiment with pop. Not lyrically (in some cases yes but this album stands out because of the...)INSTRUMENTATION. Wonderful. More guitar used in this album I have noticed, which surely is good right. Cause I think it's great that they are using more guitars and it may not be as dark or heavy as the older stuff but it still creates a cool and joyous atmosphere.

• Like 4

After listening to the interview coldplaying were able to do, now we know who is the one responsible for all those synths sounds. Guy is the hi-fi or nerd about all that stuff and we can see that in Apparatjik. That's why he is part of that group and now he's not afraid of including it on Coldplay

"I presume you don't read album reviews anymore?"

No I dont

Meh, probably why they went downhill critically in MX. A good hiatus of fresh rethinking is necessary.

Just for the sake of comparison I'd urge everyone to listen to "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming". I know it's unfair to compare the two since I think that album is one of the most original and pure works of art from the past decade and a true masterpiece, but while completely different, they both follow the same themes and patterns, or at least AHFOD tried to.

It's not a mainstream album and you may not even get into what it's trying to say but it holds a 9/10 rating and above from many publications including Pitchfork and The Independent, so it's definitely worth a try.

If you're already familiar with that album what's your evaluation?

• Like 1

Just for the sake of comparison I'd urge everyone to listen to "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming". I know it's unfair to compare the two since I think that album is one of the most original and pure works of art from the past decade and a true masterpiece, but while completely different, they both follow the same themes and patterns, or at least AHFOD tried to.

It's not a mainstream album and you may not even get into what it's trying to say but it holds a 9/10 rating and above from many publications including Pitchfork and The Independent, so it's definitely worth a try.

If you're already familiar with that album what's your evaluation?

It's a great album, I listened to it a lot at the time it's been released and still today I listen to some of the song contained in it.

It is a solid album in terms of structure, versatility, concept and childish imagination. I think that it's very pleasing sonically because it is nostalgic but also very seminal, that's why it has originality in it (you can understand by how many people tried to emulate Midnight City during the past years).

My favourite song from Hurry Up, We're Dreaming is the interlude of the 2nd disc "Fountains", it's just too soothing for my soul to be true.

Ah, and the artwork is magnificent

p.s. what is very strange is that some melodies are very coldplay-ish: for example Wait is very similar to The Scientist or Intro that's very similar to Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (and they were released almost at the at the same time, so it's not a ripoff)

• Like 1

What ever happened to the India Music Video?

Probably being edited or kept away (for now). I heard the shoot was for Hymn for the Weekend but I can't confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listened to the album again today from beginning to end. Still a real thrill! I just cant help dancing and humming along even if I am out walking haha

I remember thinking similarly when I listened to Mylo cuz it was joyful too, but AHFOD is so struggle-free and exuberant, makes me feel like Im standing on top of a mountain after several years hike! And I can totally relate haha :)

I don't know...every time I listen to it, its just exactly how I feel , it hits all the right chords. And I find myself skipping no song: such a treat, the album is like a small sparkling jewel of shiny colours :)

#thankful

• Like 5

On the upside, they're taking requests!

Maybe if we request them to play their old songs they'll notice the massive quality difference between those and this new album.

Not saying I hate this new album. I really enjoy it, as with everything by Coldplay. However there is an obvious noticable quality drop from their older work, let's be honest now. Maybe we can try to make Chris Martin realize what real music is, instead of the stuff he's into now.

^I actually read all of that ;)

vThis makes so much sense

[MEDIA=twitter]679717251570872322[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/ColdplayAtlas/status/679717251570872322

Yeahhhhhh...... that's really being lazy. Coldplay needs to pick it up.

I personally like XMTS because of various reasons but holy don't even try to compare it to some of Coldplay's previous works.

• Like 3

On the upside, they're taking requests!

Maybe if we request them to play their old songs they'll notice the massive quality difference between those and this new album.

Not saying I hate this new album. I really enjoy it, as with everything by Coldplay. However there is an obvious noticable quality drop from their older work, let's be honest now. Maybe we can try to make Chris Martin realize what real music is, instead of the stuff he's into now.

Yeahhhhhh...... that's really being lazy. Coldplay needs to pick it up.

I personally like XMTS because of various reasons but holy don't even try to compare it to some of Coldplay's previous works.

Wow,10mins?! Kind of makes sense considering the quality of the song. Asking for requests is also pretty lazy. I really do wish Chris would pick up his game, I wonder how much the drop in quality is caused by being lazy and complacent.

Hahaaa! Have to check these videos out later. Got to find my tin foil hat first.

Anyway, I was on a long drive today and listened to GS followed by AHFOD. I enjoyed GS way more than AHFOD even though I was in the mood to party. Maybe AHFOD will settle with more live performances in the future.

Love the first 2 songs! Can listen to them again and again. But once birds is over, I want to jump straight to up&up. I had a similar experience with GS and now I enjoy it fully once in awhile. Same will happen with AHFOD I think.

But I do appreciate coldplay branching out and trying new things. It just doesn't feel organic enough for me to fall in love with it. But I guess that can happen when you try out things that are not exactly your forte. It's their prerogative. But there are some real gems in there. Just too far apart.

BTW, I was quite enjoying GS, until AYF and ghost story started playing. Just reminded me how beautiful those left overs were compared to some of the album.

Wow,10mins?! Kind of makes sense considering the quality of the song. Asking for requests is also pretty lazy. I really do wish Chris would pick up his game, I wonder how much the drop in quality is caused by being lazy and complacent.

As they say, effort can go a long way.

Guest kmm1482

BTW, I was quite enjoying GS, until AYF and ghost story started playing. Just reminded me how beautiful those left overs were compared to some of the album.

I totally agree. Oceans, All Your Friends, Ghost Stories and Midnight sound like they're from a totally different album (one I'd rather listen to, honestly)

I totally agree. Oceans, All Your Friends, Ghost Stories and Midnight sound like they're from a totally different album (one I'd rather listen to, honestly)

add o to that and i agree.

• Like 1