📡 HIGHER POWER MUSIC VIDEO OUT JUNE 8 📡

Saddest lyrics in a Coldplay song ?

That's right, Another's Arms and Always In My Head were performed at the iTunes event shortly after the release of Magic, and before the announcement of the separation.

Thank you very much for restoring my faith in my brain, I almost thought I had it all completely wrong °__°

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what you do when you're Batman, you spread confusion! :evilgrin:

:lol:

yeahhh, that's true. I shall post more sad lyrics to divert back to the topic :nod:

From Gravity:

And then I looked up at the sun

And I could see

Oh the way that gravity pulls on you and me

And then I looked up at the sky

And saw the sun

And the way that gravity pushes on everyone

To me it's not sad in a heart wrenching way, but the lyrics use elements that are generally seen as good things, like the sun, or the sky, and then uses them as something bad and creates a depressive, sad setting. That even though the sun might be shining and everything is full of life, the flowers are blossoming, the birds are chirping, the kids are playing, there's this force that pushes everything down, that everything and everyone has to struggle against. I like how the word Gravity is a placeholder for so many things here.

Hey Batman, just wanted to say I came in here just to quote those exact lines. That and the lines from Prospekt's March / Poppyfields someone quoted earlier are my two favorite pieces of Coldplay lyrics.

My interpretation of Gravity is similar to yours. Gravity pushes down on everyone, it's a merciless, inescapable force. The bible (yes) talks about time and occurrence. That's basically what it is. It strikes at random no matter if you can take it or you can't.

The planet is a beautiful place (with a sun and sky) but it's also tough to live on. The same double sided meaning exists in Don't Panic, which is my favorite Coldplay song over all.

[smoke is rising from the houses]

Hey Batman, just wanted to say I came in here just to quote those exact lines. That and the lines from Prospekt's March / Poppyfields someone quoted earlier are my two favorite pieces of Coldplay lyrics.

My interpretation of Gravity is similar to yours. Gravity pushes down on everyone, it's a merciless, inescapable force. The bible (yes) talks about time and occurrence. That's basically what it is. It strikes at random no matter if you can take it or you can't.

The planet is a beautiful place (with a sun and sky) but it's also tough to live on. The same double sided meaning exists in Don't Panic, which is my favorite Coldplay song over all.

I agree with everything :nod:

I was wondering if there was a thread for our favourite lyrics? I don't know how to start a new thread but I would love to post some of my favourite ones!

It' s easy, just go to the New Thread button above the list where all threads of a subforum are posted ! That surely would be a great thread.

Anyway, another lyric that resonates as sad with me, even though if you take a look at the sentence it's not that sad in itself (I can really relate a lot to Trouble).

They spun a web for me

• Like 1

Mine are already quoted on this thread - but the saddest, most desperate, heart-wrenching has got to be "for one last time, tell me you love me - if you don't then lie" :cry:

• Like 1
Mine are already quoted on this thread - but the saddest, most desperate, heart-wrenching has got to be "for one last time, tell me you love me - if you don't then lie" :cry:

Oh god yes, that one goes straight into the feels, together with the touching melody and everything T__T

• Like 1

Despite the fact that I dislike Ghost Stories as an album, I have to admit that Fly On was the only Coldplay song that literally made me shed tears (when he says "And I aaaaaaaalways look up to the sky") :cry:

EDIT: By the way, I can't stress enough what an emotionally great band they are and how beautiful their music is...but for example recently I played the mp3 file "I ran away" to show someone, and this person said it's typically Coldplay in that it is background music....aaagh no, it is not !

Despite the fact that I dislike Ghost Stories as an album, I have to admit that Fly On was the only Coldplay song that literally made me shed tears (when he says "And I aaaaaaaalways look up to the sky") :cry:

EDIT: By the way, I can't stress enough what an emotionally great band they are and how beautiful their music is...but for example recently I played the mp3 file "I ran away" to show someone, and this person said it's typically Coldplay in that it is background music....aaagh no, it is not !

Just put 1.36 on full blast on the stereo. Just to prove a (mildly exaggerated) point.

• 3 weeks later...
I needed one day to think my answer, so definitely:

"Prospekt's March" I don't wanna die on my own here tonight!

"U.F.O." I know, I swear, we'll find somewhere the streets are paved with gold.

Oh yes, I definitely get your point.

"Oh and I don't have a soul to save. Yes and I sin every single day. We never change, do we?"

I just can't handle this song, everytime I listen to it, I have to take Xanax or Prozac right after.

I think think that the lyrics from songs like O, Fix You and The Scientist are 100% heart wrecking. I remember that famous interview last year with Zane Lowe in which he was playing O and at some point he makes a question to Chris and his voice breaks and I just...nearly DIED, I mean, you could literally hear my heart breaking. Though I think I would choose 2 lyrics:

If you love me, won't you let me know?/I don't wanna be a soldier who the captain of some sinking ship would stow/if you love me, why d'you let me go?- Violet Hill (I can totally relate to this song)

Might have to go where they don't know my name, floaf all over the world just to see her again and I won't show or feel any pain- Up With The Birds (I used to dislike this song, then I read these lyrics and I fell in love).

The song "A Rush of Blood to the Head" is arguably the saddest of all.

"You said I'm gonna buy this place and see it go

And stand here beside me baby, watch the orange glow

Some'll laugh and some just sit and cry

But you just sit down there and you wonder why."

"I think of you I haven't slept, I think I do but I don't forget. My body moves, goes where I will but though I try my heart stays still" I still remember the feeling that I got the first time I heard this song when they performed at the iTunes festival. It was just too much for me. And still. O is a really beautiful sad song too.

• Like 1

I always find Up In Flames really sad to listen to.

'So it's over...' to me shows the breaking point of a relationship, and how it comes to a time where you have to start accepting it. Even though it's broken however, it still has a sort of elegance to it (hence Chris's pianowork) and the spark won't go away forever (hence they go 'up in flames') :)

oh yes, right...

Just listened to GS and remembered two very sad ones from True Love and O (for this one especially in combination with the music, admittedly):

Tell me you love me

If you don't, then lie to me

And I'll always look up to the sky

(...)

Fly on, right through,

maybe one day I can fly with you

:cry:

So agree! Hope I did the quote thing right.

Whoa, I had been wondering why this thread got a bunch of additional answers all of a sudden, and only now did I realize it has been promoted in a coldplaying.com blog post and on Facebook. Thanks Sparky !