🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

Worst Coldplay Songs Ever!

Viva la vida .... for me. I just never liked it..

Look, I am all about the lesser known songs that you don't hear on the radio. I love Daylight, Fun, Another's Arms and on and on and on. Most of the time I skip the songs that they play all the time just because I have heard them so many times. But with that said, Viva la vida is one of the top 5 CP songs ever. I am sorry that you don't like it. "Be my mirror my sword and shield".

But to stay on Topic, I would go with White Shadows I think it is. No aspect of the song that I really like.

• Like 2
  • Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Worst" is a strong word...

In my opinion:

Coldplay is one of those bands that really nail 99.9999% of what they put out, even going to The Nappies and Ode To Deoderant (which are really not that bad!). However, it's of course normal for some of those songs to not fit to every fan.

For me, it used to be Magic... Until I saw it live and fell in love with it.

Since then the one song I just can't listen to is ASFOS. I've heard it so many times on the radio before and it just goes on my nerves. Every time I hear it I like it less...

Maybe that'll change in the future but for now ASFOS is my least favourite.

:confused::pensive:

"Worst" is a strong word...

In my opinion:

Coldplay is one of those bands that really nail 99.9999% of what they put out, even going to The Nappies and Ode To Deoderant (which are really not that bad!). However, it's of course normal for some of those songs to not fit to every fan.

For me, it used to be Magic... Until I saw it live and fell in love with it.

Since then the one song I just can't listen to is ASFOS. I've heard it so many times on the radio before and it just goes on my nerves. Every time I hear it I like it less...

Maybe that'll change in the future but for now ASFOS is my least favourite.

:confused::pensive:

ASFOS Is my number 1 fave from them, it used to be VLV but not anymore. I listen to every night. Never get tired of it.

• Like 1

For me, the worst Coldplay songs (although I listen to them frequently) are:

1. A Whisper (I started liking it after the 2014 live debut)

2. White Shadows (it has a lot of layers of sounds and that makes it wearing, but I LOVE the ending)

3. Princess Of China (just a lot of synths, I like the acoustic though)

4. Something Just Like This (this is a good Chainsmokers song, but it is disappointing for Coldplay's class and I thing that it's a hit just because it's the duo's song and it pisses me off that any song they produce turns to gold especially in the US)

5. Lovers In Japan (it isn't a bad song at all the thing that I don't like is these loud piano loops they are disturbing)

6. Such A Rush (I hate the end going such a rush continuously)

+Am I the only one that I don't like those cliché Ooooh oooh oooh chants, that end up in almost every song[emoji19]

• Like 2

^most of your comments in the parenthesis kinda contradicts the songs being in the WORST songs thread then. Like, Coldplay song X is bad (oh, but really i like it).

I do agree with your last comment though. I believe the reason Chris gave was that the chanty bits are universal, and translates in any language. Whether they play Glastonbury or South Korea or Rio Janeiro, they're gonna know the chanty part of Viva, or Paradise, or whatever. Okay, I get that, but I wish it happened less as well.

I don't "hate" this songs but Another's Arms and High Speeds don't really do much for me...

Sums it up well for me actually. Not those specific songs, but the feeling towards the Coldplay songs I find weakest. I don't hate the songs, but perhaps they don't do it for me.

I do agree with your last comment though. I believe the reason Chris gave was that the chanty bits are universal, and translates in any language. Whether they play Glastonbury or South Korea or Rio Janeiro, they're gonna know the chanty part of Viva, or Paradise, or whatever. Okay, I get that, but I wish it happened less as well.

I thinks that's pretty much it. But I think while it might feel cliche in Paradise, it's so earned in Amazing Day because it really does make you feel what the song it's trying to achieve (the sence of amazingness). So it depends on the song for me.

Sums it up well for me actually. Not those specific songs, but the feeling towards the Coldplay songs I find weakest. I don't hate the songs, but perhaps they don't do it for me.

I think one good example of that is A Whisper, which seems to be a strong contender for one of the "worst" Coldplay songs here. But what people find annoying about the repetion and sence of urgency in that song is what really connects me to it! And in the end, that fits in any other "worst" song here.

• Like 1
But what people find annoying about the repetion and sence of urgency in that song is what really connects me to it!

Exactly ! A Whisper is a song that I never listen to outside of the AROBTTH album, I have to admit, but I think it is an underrated track and it fits perfectly well at that place in the album. It perhaps embodies this sense of urgency/nervosity theme of the album more than any other individual song on the album by itself.

(granted, I heard it was the song that supposedly came as a replacement for I Ran Away on the album tracklist, so I'm not entirely happy about that :joy:)

• Like 1
^i thought it was Crests of Waves not I Ran Away. Man, that era had some gem b-sides.

I once read it somewhere a while ago that there was a choice between A Whisper and I Ran Away. I was never able to find the original quote or source for that "information" though.

However, there is some indirect evidence that makes me inclined to believe this. Chris has said in an interview that A Whisper is the track most likely to have been a B-side, and I have a 3-track UK promo disc of the Scientist with an advertisement sticker from Parlophone stating that I Ran Away - quote - "very nearly made the album !", so it could be true :D

• Like 1
I'll just go straight to the point and say I wish these songs weren't from Coldplay: Something Just Like This, Sky Full of Stars, Hymn for The Weekend (liked Johnny's part tho), True Love (upvote for Johnny again), Princess of China (acoustic version was alright), Up in Flames (ugh)

Its Jonny ahem

Sent from my SM-J111F using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 1
I once read it somewhere a while ago that there was a choice between A Whisper and I Ran Away. I was never able to find the original quote or source for that "information" though.

However, there is some indirect evidence that makes me inclined to believe this. Chris has said in an interview that A Whisper is the track most likely to have been a B-side, and I have a 3-track UK promo disc of the Scientist with an advertisement sticker from Parlophone stating that I Ran Away - quote - "very nearly made the album !", so it could be true :D

I dunno If I'm unhappy whether or not I Ran Away did not make it to the LP... it just made it so exciting finding it on my own, almost like discovering a random golden nugget. And the fact that it is barely known to the masses, makes it almost like a secret I can keep for myself. If only they just played it live at list once...

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

Just figured I'd bring this back to put A L I E N S on the list. I tried to like it for several months but I don't. I find the drum beat very unique and interesting, but the cheesy lyrics about refugees takes away from the aura of the melody.

Also for me, Spies, Another's Arms, Green Eyes, The Hardest Part, Fun, Army of One, SJLT.

I Ran Away should have replaced Green Eyes on the album, and Gravity should have replaced The Hardest Part.

They should have put the stripped down piano version of The Hardest Part as a B-side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...