📡 HIGHER POWER MUSIC VIDEO OUT JUNE 8 📡

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

After AHFOD nothing surprises me with them anymore. They weren’t even confident enough to tour on EL and that says a lot about them now. It’s more about staying relevant and packing out the stadiums and grasping on to any old trend going than making heartfelt music.

That strategy might play in the short term but it’s really going to hurt their legacy down the line.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 2
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just hoping there's some sort of resemblance to the X&Y sound in LP9. Moving To Mars is a great example of a non-Oldplay song that's like that. It reminds me of What If. But I also want someth

Welcome back ! Ownership is still the same (Stephen), but the forum did a major upgrade that allows better social media integration and is now also for the first time ever entirely self-hosted  I

I can't help feeling a tad alienated (if you'll excuse the pun) with regard to the new era. Like when AHFOD was released, only a bit better this time because EL gave me confidence that they can still

Posted Images

1 hour ago, The Adversary said:

After AHFOD nothing surprises me with them anymore. They weren’t even confident enough to tour on EL and that says a lot about them now. It’s more about staying relevant and packing out the stadiums and grasping on to any old trend going than making heartfelt music.

That strategy might play in the short term but it’s really going to hurt their legacy down the line.

I don’t think there was a lack of confidence with EL, but more of the tone of the songs. Going to rock out to Guns or trouble in town in an arena ? 

id go watch the Zane Lowe interview with Chris. It addresses almost your entire post. Not saying you will like the response but it doesn’t provide a lot of perspective. 

2 hours ago, deltadon said:

don’t think there was a lack of confidence with EL, but more of the tone of the songs. Going to rock out to Guns or trouble in town in an arena ? 

Well, yeah? Why not? These songs would work perfectly in concert.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, The Adversary said:

seriously? This is quite an ignorant post tbh. They're not confident to tour EL because 1. it's not an album to tour with - only songs like Orphans, Arabesque, Champion of the World, and Trouble in Town are fit to play in huge arenas and stadiums - not the delicate melodies of Daddy, Eko, Old Friends, or Cry Cry Cry, and 2. because they hadn't figured out how to be more sustainable when touring. Of course they'd like to make a comeback after their more stripped-down album and now that they've figured out how to tour better they will.

Secondly, how on earth can anyone accuse them of selling out and only caring about the money when they literally just made Everyday Life a year and a half ago and the Kaleidoscope EP a few years before? Ghost Stories minus ASFOS? The new song does sound generic but it sounds so much more heart-filled and hopeful than Coldplay's peers' recent releases - Follow You by Imagine Dragons? Beautiful Mistakes? Yes they're chasing trends which I'd rather they not do but if there was one pop style to copy it's synthpop, not the blander music people like Lil Nas X, Maroon 5, or Cardi B are putting out, but that electronic revival that's being released by The Weeknd, Lorde, Carly Rae Jepsen, etc. 

2 hours ago, deltadon said:

id go watch the Zane Lowe interview with Chris. It addresses almost your entire post. Not saying you will like the response but it doesn’t provide a lot of perspective. 

I'd agree with this as well. Most of the time a lot of the people - on Coldplaying, on Facebook, on Twitter, on Reddit - accuse the band without even watching interviews, actually thinking about what the band put out, and trying to listen to it without the mindset of it being the best song ever, but just a simple pop tune, the most radio-friendly on their upcoming album. I don't mind criticism - music always needs its critics and this song is rather underwhelming for me - terrible at times lyrics, sometimes lazily written, and no huge payoff - but the instrumentals are great. Critics from NME and even Anthony Fantano (the harshest critic on Youtube) have praised the production on this song, one of their best production-wise. Like I said, I don't mind criticism - but being overly negative about the song to the point of ignoring the good aspects of it or blindly accusing Coldplay of something that they haven't done I simply can't stand.

Don't get me wrong, some people here are making good points. @I ran away has a lot of the same sentiments as I have about wanting them to return to organic and heartfelt music, but never blindly criticized the song. Yes, she did say it was generic, but also recognized the unique elements that could have been improved but were nevertheless good parts of the song. But other idiots on Reddit and here are blindly accusing them of selling out and only (keyword is only) caring about money and not making good music are absolutely blind. One guy said they make music for children, like Toys R' Us? Seriosuly? Another guy said that their potential is wasted and that there's no hope for them anymore - okay? A third said that we're gullible to fall for a song like this because we don't appreciate "Real" music". Like, seriously?

I'm sorry if I'm venting, but I've just seen so much needless negativity over the past few days. Criticism is okay - like I said I too have more to dislike about the song than to like - but to spread needless negativity because of the way we feel about our song to others who might like it is foolish. Let someone enjoy music for their own happiness. Don't accuse a band for selling out when they're clearly putting a lot of effort and heart into making supposedly "soulless" pop music. Criticize the music, but don't criticize others who like it. Chris wears that "Love" button on his shirt since 2014 - and I do think we should spread more of that. 

If anyone tries to point out that I'm a newplay fan and that I only like them for their "shallow" pop music - you're wrong. I'm an Oldplayer at heart. I saw them at Singapore in 2006 and again in Manila in 2017. I've longed for them to make another X&Y or Viva (which came with EL) and I do dislike many of their modern songs. But I also dislike some of their older stuff, I don't let being an oldplayer blind me from the fact that there are some songs in their earlier work that I don't like. I also really like Mylo and Ghost Stories. However flawed those records are they still have that Coldplay magic, as do most songs on AHFOD and even Higher Power. I'm an Oldplayer sure, but whatever new music they put out, I'll support them because they've been my favorite band since 2008 and always will be regardless of what they do.

Coldplaying should be a place to criticize music but also have fruitful and constructive discussions on the music and band we love, not mindless rabble about a song we didn't like and non-existent "Selling out". I joined this server a few months ago to speculate about new music and everyone seemed excited - even when the forums got busier there was a sense of camaraderie and hopefulness that now kinda feels absent because of all the needless negativity and bashing. Again, sorry for the venting, but I just wanted to share my thoughts with y'all. Peace!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, I ran away said:

Well, yeah? Why not? These songs would work perfectly in concert.

Song meaning / content doesn’t fit well with the rest of the set. That’s why. 

not saying I wouldn’t want to hear them live , just answering your question. also , according to Chris EL songs are a certain color and they fit within that context. 

Posted (edited)

All these reactions feel like a deja vu from 10 years ago when ETIAW was released. I don't really know what people expected from a Max Martin produced song other than a pop banger. I was pleasant surprised with how the song turned out tbh. 

As an Oldplayer, I have come to terms with the fact that, in my opinion, the band peaked sometime between the X&Y and VLV eras. Most of their recent output (bar Everyday Life as a whole) doesn't really appeal to my current musical taste anymore and that's fine.

Edited by JM-42
  • Like 4

Negativity is our specialty here.

Really though, song is fine. If it was playing on shuffle I wouldn't step out of the shower to change it, but just barely. More than I can say about a handful of post VLV. I would put this under Orphans. My biggest gripe is Johnny once again is woefully underutilized. Really everyone is on this. Kick Chris (nothing personal) and these producers (very personal) out for another year. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JM-42 said:

All these reactions feel like a deja vu from 10 years ago when ETIAW was released. I don't really know what people expected from a Max Martin produced song other than a pop banger. I was pleasant surprised with how the song turned out tbh. 

As an Oldplayer, I have come to terms with the fact that, in my opinion, the band peaked sometime between the X&Y and VLV eras. Most of their recent output (bar Everyday Life as a whole) doesn't really appeal to my current musical taste anymore and that's fine.

I wasn't around the Coldplay fandom back in 2011, but I was around in 2015 and I remember the same sort of reactions to Adventure of a Lifetime, Stargate, Beyoncé, etc. A Head Full of Dreams could have turned out so much worse even with Stargate's pop banger production all over it.

I guess the biggest thing that keeps me coming back is sentimental attachment. And the fact that even Coldplay's most "generic" singles from the past decade are better in my opinion than anything Maroon 5 and OneRepublic have released in the past decade. I'd much rather listen to AHFOD than the majority of stuff on American Top 40 radio. So far, I feel the same way about Higher Power.

I'm an Oldplayer in 2021 because I know they can do better, they've released 5 studio albums, 2 live albums, and around 3 more albums worth of B-sides/EP tracks that fit with my particular taste in music. That's still the majority of their back catalogue. So I'm content with that. 

32 minutes ago, prospekt46 said:

Negativity is our specialty here.

Really though, song is fine. If it was playing on shuffle I wouldn't step out of the shower to change it, but just barely. More than I can say about a handful of post VLV. I would put this under Orphans. My biggest gripe is Johnny once again is woefully underutilized. Really everyone is on this. Kick Chris (nothing personal) and these producers (very personal) out for another year. 

So basically what Brian Eno did to Chris at one point? Apparently that's when Arabesque was born so hey, I'm all for it 😂 Especially if Brian Eno is the one kicking Chris out of the studio for a little while. The man is a genius and he's willing to do far more than just kick a frontman out of the studio in order to encourage creativity and help an artist get out of their comfort zone.

If only Eno had done more on AHFOD than just sing some chorus backing vocals during Up&Up...

Edited by 42Escapist

I don't know why but I have a sneaky feeling we're going to see Brian Eno and Jon Hopkins on this record, even if Max Martin's heavily involved. Space is their "thing" and the concept originated with Eno so I wouldn't be surprised if he had at least a small role in all of this.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JM-42 said:

Yeah we've had these discussions a billion times before, with a lot of interesting folks who aren't on here anymore. I do miss our back and forth with some of them!

Edited by nvdmm
  • Like 1
On 5/8/2021 at 9:40 PM, deltadon said:

Song meaning / content doesn’t fit well with the rest of the set. That’s why. 

not saying I wouldn’t want to hear them live , just answering your question. also , according to Chris EL songs are a certain color and they fit within that context. 

I feel a concert does not exclusively have to consist of feel-good songs...I don't understand why the darkness and rockiness of Everyday Life songs can't be embraced just like GS songs were fitted into the AHFOD Tour setlist.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I can understand why don't want to add much Everyday Life to any new shows. There is a bit of a tonal contrast from going from bright, love-drunk, alien, silly but brilliant pop music to rock tunes about real-life police violence. I think some tunes could be mixed in, though - Church, BrokEn, Orphans, Cry Cry Cry, Champion of the World, the title track. There's a weight that comes to making songs like Trouble in Town or Daddy. I can see why they'd want to tread carefully about playing them amongst the likes of Higher Power.

Edited by Reflektor!
  • Like 3
24 minutes ago, Reflektor! said:

I can understand why don't want to add much Everyday Life to any new shows. There is a bit of a tonal contrast from going from bright, love-drunk, alien, silly but brilliant pop music to rock tunes about real-life police violence. I think some tunes could be mixed in, though - Church, BrokEn, Orphans, Cry Cry Cry, Champion of the World, the title track. There's a weight that comes to making songs like Trouble in Town or Daddy. I can see why they'd want to tread carefully about playing them amongst the likes of Higher Power.

Maybe this is why they stopped playing most of the songs from Viva (apart from the obligatory Viva la Vida because it's a hit and a stadium crowd will sing along every time). There's a kind of darker atmosphere to the album that may not be as dark as Trouble In Town but still doesn't fit so well with the themes and sounds of AHFOD. I'm amazed they played Violet Hill at all during the AHFOD tour. Even then, they only played it sparingly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 1:43 PM, 42Escapist said:

Maybe this is why they stopped playing most of the songs from Viva (apart from the obligatory Viva la Vida because it's a hit and a stadium crowd will sing along every time). There's a kind of darker atmosphere to the album that may not be as dark as Trouble In Town but still doesn't fit so well with the themes and sounds of AHFOD. I'm amazed they played Violet Hill at all during the AHFOD tour. Even then, they only played it sparingly.

Hadn't considered that much. The fact that some of the songs I really enjoy such as Politik has some heavy messaging so it's not always going to appeal to the crowd. 

Just finished listening to Coldplay's 42 minute set for BBC Radio 1, "Big Weekend". 

The set list was full to brim of their biggest hits and I was glad to hear them live and hone in on their various to these song however if I'm being honest with myself if they had just a bit more range in the song setlist like featuring songs that are less played but also are of the friendlier nature such as, "High Speed", "In My Place", "Speed of Sound", "Strawberry Swing", "Up With the Birds", "Ink", "Amazing Day" and "Champion of the World". That would be a good balance.

To me it doesn't hurt to do so, by showcasing some of these other songs to the audience that might expand music some folks may've not heard. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TealAppeal said:

Hadn't considered that much. The fact that some of the songs I really enjoy such as Politik has some heavy messaging so it's not always going to appeal to the crowd. 

Just finished listening to Coldplay's 42 minute set for BBC Radio 1, "Big Weekend". 

The set list was full to brim of their biggest hits and I was glad to hear them live and hone in on their various to these song however if I'm being honest with myself if they had just a bit more range in the song setlist like featuring songs that are less played but also are of the friendlier nature such as, "High Speed", "In My Place", "Speed of Sound", "Strawberry Swing", "Up With the Birds", "Ink", "Amazing Day" and "Champion of the World". That would be a good balance.

To me it doesn't hurt to do so, by showcasing some of these other songs to the audience that might expand music some folks may've not heard. 

I feel the same way but at the same time if the band have been out of concerts for how long then treating the audience and those who don't follow the band as much with the usual hits is perfectly fine. Perform the big songs to get people's attention to the fact that you're touring and then play the more interesting songs later on. I do miss In My Place, though - it was played almost every concert until 2017 and never played since. And I have a feeling songs like Everything's Not Lost, COTW, or Trouble in Town might be surprise inclusions in a setlist sometime in the future.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

I feel the same way but at the same time if the band have been out of concerts for how long then treating the audience and those who don't follow the band as much with the usual hits is perfectly fine. Perform the big songs to get people's attention to the fact that you're touring and then play the more interesting songs later on. I do miss In My Place, though - it was played almost every concert until 2017 and never played since. And I have a feeling songs like Everything's Not Lost, COTW, or Trouble in Town might be surprise inclusions in a setlist sometime in the future.

In My Place will probably be back. They didn't play it in 2014 either when they did the small concerts for Ghost Stories. The chorus is a good crowd singalong moment in an arena or a stadium, even though In My Place is not as well-known as other songs like Fix You and Viva that the crowd will sing along with every time.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 42Escapist said:

In My Place will probably be back. They didn't play it in 2014 either when they did the small concerts for Ghost Stories. The chorus is a good crowd singalong moment in an arena or a stadium, even though In My Place is not as well-known as other songs like Fix You and Viva that the crowd will sing along with every time.

I do hope they bring back that tradition of playing rarities and old songs, not just audience requests but through wanting to do so as well. I'd love to request them to play a song like Glass of Water or High Speed during a concert!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...