📡 HIGHER POWER MUSIC VIDEO OUT JUNE 8 📡

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

Although I do not consider myself an oldplayer.. I do sorely wish for an album that's as warm and intimate as parachutes.. It feels like a warm blanket on a cold winter night. Not to mention the instrumentation was simple, inspired and profound. Very minimalistic in the best possible way. Even if it's just a short ep, I would die for that sound again. That said I enjoy their newer albums for what they are, but nothing has come close to parachutes and viva for me

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just hoping there's some sort of resemblance to the X&Y sound in LP9. Moving To Mars is a great example of a non-Oldplay song that's like that. It reminds me of What If. But I also want someth

Welcome back ! Ownership is still the same (Stephen), but the forum did a major upgrade that allows better social media integration and is now also for the first time ever entirely self-hosted  I

After AHFOD nothing surprises me with them anymore. They weren’t even confident enough to tour on EL and that says a lot about them now. It’s more about staying relevant and packing out the stadiums a

Posted Images

Guest kmm1482
Although I do not consider myself an oldplayer.. I do sorely wish for an album that's as warm and intimate as parachutes.. It feels like a warm blanket on a cold winter night. Not to mention the instrumentation was simple, inspired and profound. Very minimalistic in the best possible way. Even if it's just a short ep, I would die for that sound again. That said I enjoy their newer albums for what they are, but nothing has come close to parachutes and viva for me

There's small pockets of that sound in a few songs since MX. Moving to Mars, Oceans...

There's small pockets of that sound in a few songs since MX. Moving to Mars, Oceans...

Oh don't get me wrong, there are some great songs since MX, in fact I like the last 3 albums very much. But even the examples you gave our, similar.. But different. I don't know how to explain it, but I doubt they'll ever capture the same magic from the older albums. I think the best oldplayers could hope for would be that they capture a whole new kind of magic that isn't pop produced or sugar coated. Maybe something electronic or pop rock but not so mainstream. Or maybe an album of unreleased gems from the past (very very very unlikely). But my music library is safe with all my favorite music from the past, Coldplay and others.

Guest kmm1482
Oh don't get me wrong, there are some great songs since MX, in fact I like the last 3 albums very much. But even the examples you gave our, similar.. But different. I don't know how to explain it, but I doubt they'll ever capture the same magic from the older albums. I think the best oldplayers could hope for would be that they capture a whole new kind of magic that isn't pop produced or sugar coated. Maybe something electronic or pop rock but not so mainstream. Or maybe an album of unreleased gems from the past (very very very unlikely). But my music library is safe with all my favorite music from the past, Coldplay and others.

Oh, you're totally right. It will never, ever sound like that again. And really, a lot of that is just the landscape of music in this era. We'll just have to look for another type of music that does that gives us the same feeling

I think it's safe to say all our lives are littered with very special Coldplay moments. For me AROBTTH and that entire era will always be very very significant. To discover an album that is so emotionally charged and musically perfect in every single way in that particular period of my life was nothing short of life saving. I knew Pink Floyd and Radiohead were more technically gifted, and I knew I'd get more of a kick listening to U2 or Anathema but no album had ever connected with me on that level, and no album since has!

The joy, inspiration and tranquility their first four albums brought me are indescribable. Very few bands are capable of having such profound effects on people and it is exactly because of this that I'm still around, even though I'm extremely pissed off with how things turned out in the past 7 years.

• Like 5

One of my Oldplay related moments was with Amsterdam in 2008. It was the last day of my summer holidays, I was sitting on the sand, facing the sea and watching the sunset. There was only time left for a song to listen before returning home and my music player picked Amsterdam. It was such an experience, one of those rare moments in my life in which I felt some peace of mind.

• Like 1

That once in the far future (like, 20 years from now) they will oublish some unreleased works is my only Coldplay-hope for the future. Other than that, I agree that we'll never get anything like it again. The guys are so different now and hands down, even if they wanted to Chris's voice is so strained it is no longer capable of performing these wonderfully pure and vulnerable falsettos.

• Like 1

THIS THREAD IS FUCKING GENIUS!!

Wow great to see other minds the same as mine.

I just watched this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmDfFpAt6E

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmDfFpAt6E

So much magic, the different/extended endings to White Shadow and Square One are just the pinnacle of musical ecstasy! I also love that sample at the end of Scientist, so amazing!!

• Like 1
From that Era i love the Glastonbury 2005 festival a lot. First, you can sense how much they love Glastonbury, it's the most important festival to them. Second, the set was amazing ! They played a lot of X&Y songs there which they hardly ever played again.

And then the end with the lights and the dark sky and Fix You...it's magic.

Too bad there are only low definition and cut recordings on the web. Didn't the BBC transmit this ? I'd love to have a good quality video recording of the Glastonbury 2005 concert.

The piano intro to Viva La Vida ALMOST brings me to tears everytime I hear it.

Luckily we got what I feel like is enough to hold on to, but more would be nice.

*reads post and eyes wander to avatar*

damn I really need to re-watch the Live 2003 DVD, it's freaking magnificent

*reads post and eyes wander to avatar*

damn I really need to re-watch the Live 2003 DVD, it's freaking magnificent

Yeah the tracks not included on the cd are so amazing and the videography is very well done. The diary has really funny bits of humor to it like when will is talking about how interviews can ask dumb questions and it cuts to guy talking about his favorite pizza toppings.

• Like 1
This is how I feel about Coldplay's music:

iFJ9VDZ.jpg

I would put Ghost Stories on the "I might listen to this later" line, on the rest I agree.

In rankings:

Parachutes - 89/100

A Rush Of Blood To The Head - 92/100

X&Y - 91/100

Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends - 90/100

Mylo Xyloto - 63/100

Ghost Stories - 74/100

A Head Full Of Dreams - 57/100

I would put Ghost Stories on the "I might listen to this later" line, on the rest I agree

I thought about this, too, but then remembered I only come back to this album for one single song (Midnight) so that's not enough for me to rank the entire album higher lol

Now now, I feel this graph underestimates AROBTTH and X&Y :p
I know X&Y fits better to the space but come one! It's pretty darn high in the list haha
Guest kmm1482
Do you like VIVA more than X&Y?

I do. A little less fat on it. I'm invested in every Viva song. X&Y tends to drag a little and my attention starts to wain in parts