📡 HIGHER POWER MUSIC VIDEO OUT JUNE 8 📡

What do you think about the future of Coldplay?

He's the reason I got into them I love his guitar work :D

Oh God yes...I still remember the shivers when I first heard his contribution to "Dont panic" . I was like..what is this heavenly sound? haha I also had fun playing his licks on Viva on my Epiphone Supernova :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only I had a guitar xD Yeah I know what you mean but Spies and High Speed blew me away :) (So Indie and spaced out) Speaking of Indie Chinese Sleep Chant is an stellar job at that genre. Jonny's playing is so drugged out it makes the song what it is. I really love his work on X&Y (Space Rock, more effects and he started playing harder hitting stuff) and everything post Viva especially Mylo and GS. But have a huge soft spot for his work Parachutes and AROBTTH. He just writes amazing chiming shimmering lines. And his edgier stuff is awesome. When I learned he used a Les Paul on Violet Hill I was blown away. And his sound on 42 and Major Minus is so driving and dark. HLH has some of his most colorful and expressive playing IMO. And the sound he contribute s to Strawberry Swing, X&Y and Always In My Head is euphoric. I'm sorry if I fanboyed there :p

• Like 2
If only I had a guitar xD He just writes amazing chiming shimmering lines. And his edgier stuff is awesome.

Precisely! He has such a ear for the melodic and each note is a gem. I+ve played guitar for years so I know other famous guitarists but a lot of them just play a lot of notes very fast, but it doesn't move me or tell me anything! The guitarists I love are those who know how to deliver a great melody, sometimes even understated, say BB King :)

When I learned he used a Les Paul on Violet Hill I was blown away.

It did not surprise me at all...the sound was so Gibson like! hehe Thats why I generally prefer Gibson cuz they have a warmer full bodied sound, but I must admit I am in awe at what Jonny can get out of his fenders. No doubt the many effects help too :)

I'm sorry if I fanboyed there

If you cant fanboy here, where can you? haha No I love it! I am a big guitar fan myself. Maybe we should continue this in one of the instrument threads? :)

• Like 1

Sure just direct me to one :) I know right he writes lines that just resonate with your soul. And I love those type of guitarists. Its the reason I love Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Jimi Hemdrix, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and all the greats. They wrote such moving licks and riffs. Something still leaves me in awe.

^ I don't play guitar (I only have a background in piano) but I soooo dig Jonny's guitar work... (And in the last 2-3 albums am so happy to hear more Guy, and Will's beautiful beats as well). J really makes every note count and sound so beautiful... You literally feel you're staring down his soul and right there with him with his guitar playing... I really love getting lost in his sounds

• Like 1
^ I don't play guitar (I only have a background in piano) but I soooo dig Jonny's guitar work... (And in the last 2-3 albums am so happy to hear more Guy, and Will's beautiful beats as well). J really makes every note count and sound so beautiful... You literally feel you're staring down his soul and right there with him with his guitar playing... I really love getting lost in his sounds

All this is so true. I love how Guy and Will are coming to the fore through their friendship and musicianship. I mean on Adventure of a Lifetime they play funk, something Guy digs and Will seems happy/enjoy to be accompanying him by playing a solid beat. And the same with AHFOD they play disco and those too are having a blast! I belive it's bringing the best out of Chris and J as well :) I couldn't believe my ears when I heard him playing those funky riffs on AOAL the first time I listened to it! :D He really came out of his shell on this album! ^^

Oh I wud give them a go for sure! I have in fact both jazz and metal hehe But Im not sure I could stomach a whole album of it *lol* I agree that good music is everywhere, but especially with jazz and metal there is such a specific sonic mood they set, you either can get into it or not, which I can for a few tracks, but dont think a whole album hehe

This is one of Jonny´s most stellar quotes ! haha

You're right there, not a whole album :lol: But I think they probably wouldn't go beyond just 2-3 songs in each of these genres if they decided to try... They'd probably explore the whole spectrum of associated sounds / styles again, which would be stellar... The other genre that would really suit and give them the freedom they need would be film music... Their music is just waiting to go there I reckon... The emotionality and grandness just suits, and would give them the opportunity to explore/experiment without having to lock in the sound into any one genre

• Like 1
All this is so true. I love how Guy and Will are coming to the fore through their friendship and musicianship. I mean on Adventure of a Lifetime they play funk, something Guy digs and Will seems happy/enjoy to be accompanying him by playing a solid beat. And the same with AHFOD they play disco and those too are having a blast! I belive it's bringing the best out of Chris and J as well :) I couldn't believe my ears when I heard him playing those funky riffs on AOAL the first time I listened to it! :D He really came out of his shell on this album! ^^

It's been a gradual reveal and maturing of sound with the other three.... The ingredients were always there but J, G, W have taken a few albums to truly find their voice / sound and come into their own... Jonny was always there, but the sound has really blossomed and I love the sonic largeness and confidence in his riffs that he has now... And yeah, they really bounce off each other's parts and playing now... It's really beautiful when a band reaches that solidness and understanding that it plays and builds into each other, and everyone can still carry on even if someone messes up... A bit like life really !

• Like 1
It's been a gradual reveal and maturing of sound with the other three.... The ingredients were always there but J, G, W have taken a few albums to truly find their voice / sound and come into their own... Jonny was always there, but the sound has really blossomed and I love the sonic largeness and confidence in his riffs that he has now... And yeah, they really bounce off each other's parts and playing now... It's really beautiful when a band reaches that solidness and understanding that it plays and builds into each other, and everyone can still carry on even if someone messes up... A bit like life really !

I totally agree but I think you need to have your fellow band members in synch and supporting you. J seems to really love what he does now cause he can try his hand at anything and have fun. And Guy and Will are really getting a voice now. I mean thats why I enjoy their last 3 albums so much along with this one! ^^ The sound of them coming alive and together is inspiring. It makes me want to get up to applaud them. I knew they could be more. But what they have done just blows me away :)

• Like 3
The other genre that would really suit and give them the freedom they need would be film music... Their music is just waiting to go there I reckon... The emotionality and grandness just suits, and would give them the opportunity to explore/experiment without having to lock in the sound into any one genre

Hmm I agree about soundtrack music being a free canvas, but i dont see Coldplay being suited for that. I may be wrong, but I think their speciality is the short song formula and the structures of the modern pop song (verse, chorus, bridge, etc). They have been experimenting outside that with success, but I think soundtrack perhaps would be too vast for them hehe

MY COLDPLAY FUTURE:

-I hope coldplay will record the next album in a garage like the Foos!

-Time for a heavy hard rock/pop coldplay album, riffs and drums. More bad ass drums please!

-No autotunes, just pure clear coldplay sound strait forward.

-No collaborations any more...

PLEASE JOIN MY ALL TIME FAVORITES SINCE 1986 ON SPOTIFY...maybe you get my point of view after listing.

[MEDIA=spotify]path=user%2Fmaalro86%2Fplaylist%2F51SA8BCYdfCbFFWTLYgTpi[/MEDIA]

...I would be happy if someone adds my playlist.

Nice playlist. ;) I would probably be extremely satisfied if those ideas for the future were to actually come true... the collaborations don't bother me (it's more of a question of who they collaborate with instead of whether or not they choose to collaborate), but the other three are spot on. AHFOD would be classic Coldplay for me if it met those criteria. Not that I dislike AHFOD or rate it was low as you do, but... it could be much better. You have some great points. :)

• Like 1
Don't forget HLH and ETIAW... Full of memorable riffs, one after another!

Yeah he´s gotten confident for real from MX onwards. I mentioned GS because I think its easy to forget how tracks like Always in my head and Another´s arms feature hauntingly beautiful J magic work :)

• Like 2
Hmm I agree about soundtrack music being a free canvas, but i dont see Coldplay being suited for that. I may be wrong, but I think their speciality is the short song formula and the structures of the modern pop song (verse, chorus, bridge, etc). They have been experimenting outside that with success, but I think soundtrack perhaps would be too vast for them hehe

Yes, but then again if they worked on a finished film, I think it would focus them and they could go simpatico with the emotional flow of the film... They are very empathetic guys, particularly musically, so I think if they did an emotional indie-type movie it would work eg those smaller British period pieces or the indie-films about the big ups and downs of everyday life (the kind awards and festivals love) would suit... The film would need to have a strong artistic vision and story already, with them just bringing out the emotional notes... I think they would excel at that, particularly if the images were haunting and melancholic (eg time-lapse showing evolution of something in glorious colour)

• Like 1
so I think if they did an emotional indie-type movie it would work eg those smaller British period pieces or the indie-films about the big ups and downs of everyday life (the kind awards and festivals love) would suit...

God lets hope not...I´d never watch that *LOL* Not so big on those kinda movies I must admit haha

Nice playlist. ;) I would probably be extremely satisfied if those ideas for the future were to actually come true... the collaborations don't bother me (it's more of a question of who they collaborate with instead of whether or not they choose to collaborate), but the other three are spot on. AHFOD would be classic Coldplay for me if it met those criteria. Not that I dislike AHFOD or rate it was low as you do, but... it could be much better. You have some great points. :)

Thank you for your kind words 42Escapist. Thumps up for liking my spotify playlist. When I listened to the new album last week my first thought which came to my mind was..."it's must be Chris Martin's first solo album". Honestly, there is no point of Will Champion being in the band anymore. *Provocative Speaking...

Where are real drums? Especially, I'm missing the Hi-Hat...there is no! My critics has nothing to do with my wish to get back AROBTTH. I'm also the opinion that the first three albums had the same style but each with some new elements in it. In addition, the new album has nothing to do with breaking boundaries. They mentioned in an interview that they don't give a shi* about other opinions and they just want to have fun in the studio... I hope other band members are individuals and don't want to have electronic equipment for the next album (if autotunes was the wrong word I apologize...I mean all those crazy things which have grown since MX). If anybody does not know what I mean, please watch back and forth and the grammy speech of Dave Grohl.

[MEDIA=dailymotion]xomnj5[/MEDIA]

I would say I'm an amateur when it comes to making music and I don't say the new album is just bad...but I don't like their development. I would love the next album to be like BRNS "My Head is into you"

[MEDIA=spotify]path=track%2F4ROMzzLAszkA3fnxVIv1TM[/MEDIA]

...probably it will never happen, but I'm still hoping...a straight forward instrumental rock/pop album. In addition I got the impression the last three albums where similar...so why not turn back to something good. If they will continue their path with some weird collaborations, no drums and plastic sounds I would be very disappointed...unfortunately they reached a level were there can sell anything...(I still don't find the new album the worst album ever)...please just have a look why they didn't get any Grammy for their last albums

...just take your time and come back great...

Something about the harmonies on VLV makes me want more of that. So here's hoping.

Someone here said their lives are settled and they don't need to care about money and all. It could be true. After all, would we have got Van Gogh's famous Starry Night and Sunflowers if he'd been famous and well off? I'm not so sure. Such is art, lol.

Coldplay did say they went in a "full circle" after the completion of this album. So does that mean... they're gonna start from the way, way beginning again lol?

That means we get some more Ode to Deodorant in LP8 ;)

Haha, I just jest. It's gonna be interesting to see what they do next.

• Like 2