🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

Coldplay fan poll details how albums are favored by fans, by /r/coldplay

this is a very interesting poll conducted by reddit coldplay. i find the last two graphs the most interesting, since we have an idea of how the albums are generally ranked among the fans.

here are the results, taken from here:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

l0VSt71.png

There were about 300+ responses, so thank you everyone for participating, it was very nice. Most responses were from people who started with the Viva era, followed by MX! Not surprising.

7jzAC1n.png

Unsurprisingly, general consensus is that ARoBttH and Viva are the best albums.

56nfkaT.png

7vVosdn.png

Similar to previous data, although it's very interesting to note that listeners who began with the Parachutes era dislike Mylo Xyloto, but collectively enjoy Ghost Stories. Many have recognized similarities between Coldplay's first and sixth albums.

13hSRtP.png

The data here is normalized out of 1. Not much different from the previous graph since all the data was close to the 8-10 range, but it's cool to notice that most people rated their first album the highest ... with the exception of Ghost Stories.

FJf9xAR.png

Final graph of all the data. Doesn't really explain much, but does show a really nice picture. All data is color-coded. Spreadsheet link: [MEDIA=googlesheets]gid=47310995;id=1kIF6S_DYtW0GOvlmlCCIPb6MoEeuexot081SD0HzlzQ[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kIF6S_DYtW0GOvlmlCCIPb6MoEeuexot081SD0HzlzQ/edit#gid=47310995

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

interesting observations other than the obvious:

fans who began listening during,

• parachutes, dislike mx and ahfod, while relatively enjoying gs
  • rush of blood enjoy mx and ahfod relative more than gs, which is the least liked album
  • x&y display the lowest variability among averaged album rankings compared to fans starting with other eras
  • viva relatively ranked mx, compared to fans starting in other eras except mx
  • mx ranked ahfod, but not as much as mx
  • gs surprisingly rank gs the lowest among the albums
  • parachutes and rush of blood rank viva relatively low

interestingly, there is a trend among fans to rank the album era they started listening to coldplay relatively high, except for gs. and i feel badly for the parachutes era fans. they are at an all time low point with coldplay, much more than the average fan from another era.

sorry, data analysis is in my blood :) tried to keep it to a minimum.

• Like 11

also, here's an explanation of what each chart means

1st graph is about when you began listening to Coldplay (which album you was the newest when you became a fan).

2nd graph is the most frequent ranking given to a certain album (the the average). The most frequent ranking to Parachutes, on a scale from 1-10, was 8. For AROBTTH, it was 10 and so on.

3rd graph shows the average score for each album with two decimals. As you can see, these numbers differ greatly from the 2nd graph's so it's great the OP included both imo.

4th graph shows what voters from the different album eras (each has its own colour) rated the seven albums.

5th graph shows the same as the 4th graph, but normalized out of 1, because the lines were too close to one another.

6th graph shows all the answers from the survey in one graph, insted of an average, like the 4th and 5th did. The reason why the so many lines go to 1 at the two most popular albums are because some people ranked it 1/10 because they thought 1 meant that it was their favourite album. Yeah.

Hope that helped a bit.

Nice!

Interesting that most people vote the album they started listening Coldplay from the highest. I started with X&Y for real and I dont rate it highest...so Im weird LOL Also I happen to love Ghost Stories, which is in itself an anomaly apparently.

Very nice analysis and statistics ! Thanks :)

By the way, here is an additional thought: Actually, it would be interesting to correct these data for age. Because the average listener who began liking Coldplay in the Parachutes-Era is way older than the average listener discovering them in the GS Era, for example.

And I started during MX...that and the fact that I am notoriously Oldplayish is all you need to know :P

*lol*

^^Haha me too! I became a fan during GS, but sad to say it is album 7/7 on my list.

I think you´r not an anomaly there. "there is a trend among fans to rank the album era they started listening to coldplay relatively high, except for gs."

• Like 1
By the way, here is an additional thought: Actually, it would be interesting to correct these data for age. Because the average listener who began liking Coldplay in the Parachutes-Era is way older than the average listener discovering them in the GS Era, for example.

Im definitely Parachutes-era age-wise hehe :P It might be significant statistically but not sure how much.

not sure correcting data by age is wise, but i'd like to see the correlations, effects with age, gender,etc. would love to actually conduct a proper data analysis with more data points and directed (hypothesis based) questions.

• Like 2
not sure correcting data by age is wise, but i'd like to see the correlations, effects with age, gender,etc. would love to actually conduct a proper data analysis with more data points and directed (hypothesis based) questions.

Well, you could conduct your own comprehensive survey on Coldplaying !

Woooow what an analysis! And it makes more sense to see people who listen to Parachutes / follow Coldplay from the beginning dislike AHFOD much more than the people who listen to after the first album. That could have been why they still prefer Coldplay should sound like more of 'Don't Panic'-ish or 'Trouble'-eesh type of sound, which I personally miss those type of music too -- Chilly and those songs to tune in my car for a long journey!

And gai, you're an analyst geek I can see that ahaha

• Like 1
fans who began listening during,

• parachutes, dislike mx and ahfod, while relatively enjoying gs
  • rush of blood enjoy mx and ahfod relative more than gs, which is the least liked album
  • x&y display the lowest variability among averaged album rankings compared to fans starting with other eras
  • viva relatively ranked mx, compared to fans starting in other eras except mx
  • mx ranked ahfod, but not as much as mx
  • gs surprisingly rank gs the lowest among the albums
  • parachutes and rush of blood rank viva relatively low

interestingly, there is a trend among fans to rank the album era they started listening to coldplay relatively high, except for gs. and i feel badly for the parachutes era fans. they are at an all time low point with coldplay, much more than the average fan from another era.

My experience does not reflect this trend :)

I started from Parachutes (Trouble to be exact)... MX has been my favourite. GS my least favourite (probably due to the contrast after MX and CM's singing on True Love/Another's Arms). AHFOD is a bit hard to place amongst the whole lot... I definitely like it better than GS, and some days it even replaces MX, but on other days, not so much, but it never quite gets to bottom of the list...

I will always love Parachutes as it was the album that led me to Coldplay, but musically it is in the lower half of their pile. I reached my low point a few albums ago, but I now realise that I will always love them no matter what, and I just have to find a way to connect to them - I've been lucky that they've never failed me in this respect... :angel: :love:

• Like 1
and i feel badly for the parachutes era fans. they are at an all time low point with coldplay, much more than the average fan from another era.

:D Still laughing after reading that paragraph...

Sent via Tapatalk

I will always love Parachutes as it was the album that led me to Coldplay, but musically it is in the lower half of their pile.

I also first heard of them from Parachutes (Yellow, Spies, Dont panic, Shiver mostly), so that holds special memories for me as well, but its the only album I never listen to from beginning to end. Its mood is just too slow. I still listen to some songs from it though as stand-alones.

• Like 1
I also first heard of them from Parachutes (Yellow, Spies, Dont panic, Shiver mostly), so that holds special memories for me as well, but its the only album I never listen to from beginning to end. Its mood is just too slow. I still listen to some songs from it though as stand-alones.

I like it as a nice, relaxing chill-out album... When I need some introspective, relaxing time alone. It reassures me psychologically - all their music does, but Parachutes really feels like an extra nice, warm hug! I just hear the opening chords of Don't Panic, and away I go :) My heart just opens up and melts :heart:

• Like 1
I like it as a nice, relaxing chill-out album... When I need some introspective, relaxing time alone. It reassures me psychologically - all their music does, but Parachutes really feels like an extra nice, warm hug! I just hear the opening chords of Don't Panic, and away I go :) My heart just opens up and melts :heart:

That's a nice description ! :) I love that you can get those feelings listening to it :)

I love more than a few songs on Parachutes including don't panic that you mention. But I must confess ,and with all my love for the band taken into consideration, that some songs on parachutes and early b sides I just hear now and can't help thinking "oh shut up stop whining lol".

Of course back when those songs came out I WAS "whining" so I enjoyed them a lot more looool and if you had told me back then to stop whining I would have told you to sod off and show some sensitivity haha

Bottom line I guess it's amazing how things change when you change...most of the times its out of our control. I'm glad you still enjoy parachutes as you did then though ! :)

• Like 1
That's a nice description ! :) I love that you can get those feelings listening to it :)

I love more than a few songs on Parachutes including don't panic that you mention. But I must confess ,and with all my love for the band taken into consideration, that some songs on parachutes and early b sides I just hear now and can't help thinking "oh shut up stop whining lol".

Of course back when those songs came out I WAS "whining" so I enjoyed them a lot more looool and if you had told me back then to stop whining I would have told you to sod off and show some sensitivity haha

Bottom line I guess it's amazing how things change when you change...most of the times its out of our control. I'm glad you still enjoy parachutes as you did then though ! :)

I found them when I was in my 'whining' / sad stage so Parachutes was perfect and exactly what I needed. I've outgrown that also although still do have down times / periods of introspection like everyone else. Tbh, I haven't listened to this album in awhile but even thinking about the songs and playing them in my head relaxes me... The tension just releases! :nice:

• Like 1