🛒 SHOP THE NEW CHRISTMAS LIGHTS COLLECTION 🛒
ARushOfBuckin

The 'Coldplay has changed' rant

Just read through this thread. I could type out a long response addressing a lot of points, which I'm not gonna do now because it is very redundant to stuff that I feel has been said over and over again (and I'm on mobile).

So just a few keywords (not every Oldplayer may agree with this, it's my personal views)

- overproduction, more 'plastic' rather than organic feeling, fake drums

- influences - regardless of genre, it used to be critically acclaimed / artsy ones (Radiohead, Bunnymen, Travis, Sigur Ros, Arcade Fire, Jeff Buckley, Kraftwerk, U2..), nowadays artists who are generally perceived as commercial, superficial (Drake, Rihanna, Selena Gomez,...)

- focus on show and gimmicks rather than the music itself (Chris bouncing around instead of delivering a better vocal performance; not to mention lip-sync scandal; use of backing tracks not sparsely any more but backing tracks literally make up a significant part of the show now !)

- less enchanting melodies, sometimes paired with sub-par lyrics, especially on GS

- product placement in music video...something that the old band categorically denied to ever happen, a long time ago

- this neat and subtle, unassuming layering that makes the first 3/4 albums such a delight to listen to is missing. Partly probably through production, partly through songwriting

- Chris's singing style - he used to draw out words, especially in emotionally charged lyrics, now he sings more like a rapper/hiphopper, making the words sound as short as possible. Applies to older songs in new live performances as well - example:

Come up to meeeeet youuuu, tell you I'm soooorrryy

NOW:

Come up to meetyu, tell you I'msorry

Its a very lazy singing style that doesn't do these songs justice.

All in all, much of the authenticity and things that used to set Coldplay apart from your average rock or pop band have gotten lost on the way.

Agree with much of this post.

-I agree for some songs, not for all but some definetely, I think the production on more mainstream songs is much worse though!

-True that.

-Yeah, too bad that happens too. You can tell when he's still he sings a lot better. And how he lip syncs in Clocks is absolutely awful. Come on Chris Martin. You don't need that, or autotune, or any other of the pop gimmicks!!

-I still like Coldplay's new melodies and they are much better than what's popular on the radio nowadays but I can agree that they are in fact less enchanting than what they used to do... lyrics have also gone downhill

-Wish that didn't happen either.

-Yeah, it's not as good now either

-I've noticed that too, he says words really short in the live concerts and honestly the live performances of new songs such as the one you used in your example don't sound nearly as heartfelt as it should be, the singing style doesn't really match I've noticed. Still a fun experience but when you're so full of energy those songs seem to really be out of place in the first place.

I agree with the last statement. Even though Coldplay it still much more genuine than most pop acts today! But their new album is mildly worse than most of the alternative rock from late '90s and in the first decade of the new millenium.

• Like 3

well they have changed for the worse and that's a fact

• Like 2

What a wonderful post

• Like 4

Well. That's an opinion,your opinion as a matter of fact. Yes,they have changed,but not for worse. Everything and everybody changes.

• Like 2

Sorry but that's simply not true. That's your opinion, not a fact. Now artistically speaking you could be right, I'm not sure how "I oh I Oh I got me feeling drunk and high so high so high" or "You make my heart ba boom ba boom boom" is any deeper or better than any lyrics from Oldplay era.

• Like 1

Sorry but that's simply not true. That's your opinion, not a fact. Now artistically speaking you could be right, I'm not sure how "I oh I Oh I got me feeling drunk and high so high so high" or "You make my heart ba boom ba boom boom" is any deeper or better than any lyrics from Oldplay era.

personally I don'the think any of there last 3 albums well be remembered in years to come now I don't hate these albums I really enjoy them and I listen to them a lot and you can't make them without a good talent but the first 4 took some huge talent and passion to make .

I always think if the albums were in this order

we will be having a different conversation about a career that never went down always moving up

1 MX

2 GS

3 AHFOD

4 parachutes

5 AROBTTH

6 X&y

7 VLV

but hey that is only my opinion

personally I don'the think any of there last 3 albums well be remembered in years to come now I don't hate these albums I really enjoy them and I listen to them a lot and you can't make them without a good talent but the first 4 took some huge talent and passion to make .

I always think if the albums were in this order

we will be having a different conversation about a career that never went down always moving up

1 MX

2 GS

3 AHFOD

4 parachutes

5 AROBTTH

6 X&y

7 VLV

but hey that is only my opinion

Generally yes, but AHFOD is considered by many here to be worse than MX and GS. X&Y is also considered by some to be worse than AROBTTH. But once again in general you'd be right. :)

• Like 1

Uh, for clarification, everything is worse than AROBTTH :)

• Like 1

Uh, for clarification, everything is worse than AROBTTH :)

To a lot of people's ears, yes. Some think Viva is better. I'm personally torn between MX and AROBTTH but do think the former is just a bit better. Both absolutely master class albums to my ears, yet very different from each other, minus the fact that they both can generate a lot of emotion which is probably my number one thing I look for in music to see whether i like it or not.

I guess I meant to say that X&Y to a few people on here has quite a few flaws in it that make it actually not a wonderful album. I'm not one of those people, though I do think that the album that came before it is still in another league, the absolute best one.

To a lot of people's ears, yes. Some think Viva is better. I'm personally torn between MX and AROBTTH but do think the former is just a bit better. Both absolutely master class albums to my ears, yet very different from each other, minus the fact that they both can generate a lot of emotion which is probably my number one thing I look for in music to see whether i like it or not.

I guess I meant to say that X&Y to a few people on here has quite a few flaws in it that make it actually not a wonderful album. I'm not one of those people, though I do think that the album that came before it is still in another league, the absolute best one.

My personal list would be (from best to worst):

1. AROBTTH / X&Y

2. Parachutes

3. VLVODAAHF

4. MX

5. GS

6. Well hello there AHFOD, must be pretty lonely down there !

• Like 2

1. AROBTTH / X&Y

2. Parachutes

3. VLVODAAHF

4. MX

5. GS

I love all the albums but this made me lol :laugh4:

I personally love AROBTTH the most followed by X&Y and VLVODAAHF.

• Like 2

1. AROBTTH / X&Y

2. Parachutes

3. VLVODAAHF

4. MX

5. GS

:lol: I love this list

• Like 1

1. AROBTTH / X&Y

2. Parachutes

3. VLVODAAHF

4. MX

5. GS

AHFOD is still too high lol

• Like 1

Personally I can't form a list beyond my top 3 albums (MX, AROBTTH, X&Y). I know some albums are better than others but it switches all the time and I really can't decide. I do know now I like AHFOD a lot better than before and I really appreciate the production now that I have the album in a very high quality where it doesn't get all taken away, there's actually quite a bit happening in the really really high and low frequencies that gets lost in the normal version. It feels so dreamy and I love it. The flow of the album I've decided is a bit finicky where Everglow shouldn't be followed by the upbeat AOAL, then going straight down again to Fun, it doesn't really make sense. I feel that there are holes in the album where there should be songs that make it hard to find a really really good tracklist...

my list is probably...

1. MX & X&Y (it's really fun to say that way)

2. VLVODAAHF & AROBTTH & AHFOD

3. Ghost Stories & Parachutes

i can't really place one over another, just in groups :P

• Like 1

I think that the post-X&Y Coldplay material is musicaly better written (in terms of instrumentals and structures). But that's the thing, when they "evolved" their writting style, they lost their cozy, warm, simple Coldplay sound. They lost their simplistic and emotion driven sound. They also lost their "outcast" feeling.

Personally i prefer the post X&Y era, but i see why fans are devided on Coldplay's material.

• Like 2

The band has evolved in style, instrumentation, lyrical content, and intended audience (particularly in scope). No question. I am and have been for a while, personally intrigued by how much of a factor our own personal and cultural evolution plays in our perception of a band. Who has truly changed more, the band, or me? The band, or the world they are trying to connect with? I am astonished that twenty years down the road I can still be stirred by new material from a band that captivated me when I was much younger. More incredibly, that same band's new material has connected with people who were not alive when Clocks first moved me to tears. I suppose this is me saying I am a bit of an Allplayer with a sentimental leaning toward the Oldplay who captivated me in my formative years.

And yet, somehow "Everyday Life" might be my favorite song they've ever written.

• Like 5

I love all the albums but this made me lol :laugh4:

I personally love AROBTTH the most followed by X&Y and VLVODAAHF.

Haha, was about to say the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1