🛒 SHOP THE NEW CHRISTMAS LIGHTS COLLECTION 🛒
stephen

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

Ok, holly balls - just had the pleasure of hearing 'Orphans' and 'Arabesque' :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun:

Without trying to spoil the fun for everyone, I genuinely haven't been this excited for a Coldplay album since Viva. They really have reinvented themselves. My sort of review of how the songs sound :

'Orphans' is definitely the more 'pop' of the two - reminds me of so many things, it has the funky bass of AOAL but is almost stadium rock sounding. Some fo it reminds me slightly of U2 with the chorus reminding me a bit of Foals. Coldplay have completely done it in their own way though - very catchy song, once of the best Coldplay songs I've heard in years actually.

'Arabesque' is definitely the 'experimental' track - clocking at about 5 and a half minutes, the only thing I can compare this to is 'Tusk' by Fleetwood Mac, has a bit of a re-accuring brass section then jazz trumpet in the middle of the track with a ball-sy ending that king of reminds me of DLIBYH (but Arabaesque' is a lot slower, more of a groove.

So excited for this era, a completely new sound for the band:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Are we getting 1 song or 2 today? Seeing people have heard a couple of songs already leaked so just clarifying...

Getting 2 songs today! :)

• Like 2

Ok, holly balls - just had the pleasure of hearing 'Orphans' and 'Arabesque' :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun:

Without trying to spoil the fun for everyone, I genuinely haven't been this excited for a Coldplay album since Viva. They really have reinvented themselves. My sort of review of how the songs sound :

'Orphans' is definitely the more 'pop' of the two - reminds me of so many things, it has the funky bass of AOAL but is almost stadium rock sounding. Some fo it reminds me slightly of U2 with the chorus reminding me a bit of Foals. Coldplay have completely done it in their own way though - very catchy song, once of the best Coldplay songs I've heard in years actually.

'Arabesque' is definitely the 'experimental' track - clocking at about 5 and a half minutes, the only thing I can compare this to is 'Tusk' by Fleetwood Mac, has a bit of a re-accuring brass section then jazz trumpet in the middle of the track with a ball-sy ending that king of reminds me of DLIBYH (but Arabaesque' is a lot slower, more of a groove.

So excited for this era, a completely new sound for the band:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

hahaha that’s a saxophone (i believe tenor or alto) in the mid of the song. on the right track though!

Gonna need the french speakers to translate the french part when we get the Arabesque subforum/thread about lyrics.

• Like 4

Really think this album is going to be Coldplay's Magnum Opus :sun: :sun: :sun:

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

hahaha that’s a saxophone (i believe tenor or alto) in the mid of the song. on the right track though!

Ah my bad! Hahaha

Do we know if we will have tomorrow (or next week?) a single realease in cd or vinile?

Or is only a digital release?

Wow...just wow...

Agree with everyone about Orphans.

It’s a fantastic pop song. It’s like it’s from AHFOD but the production and mixing are actually good!

And Arabesque....just that last minute is incredible. The rest of the song is so so good. It’s such a different Coldplay but it’s really good change.

Can’t wait for everyone to hear it and can’t wait for the rest of the album!

• Like 2

WOW, that's all I'll say for now!

In terms of the Jo Whiley stuff, is there more than just that short statement she made and her list of favourite tracks? Or is that it? It's great and exciting but I thought someone said she spoke about it track by track

• Like 2

@jc90 -- I'm not a native french speaker, but it sounds like the same thing Chris sings in English:

Basically "One resembles another, made of the same sea. ... to make a great river."

• Like 1

Really think this album is going to be Coldplay's Magnum Opus :sun: :sun: :sun:

Too late. AROBTTH is Coldplay’s magnum opus already.

I do reckon this will be Coldplay’s ‘Sgt. Pepper’

• Like 5

What's incredible to me is how really good instrumentation can vastly improve the lyrics.

Sometimes reading Chris' lyrics (like on Orphans) might make you roll your eyes. "Bombs go boom boom boom" but in the song it works SO WELL! Compare that "Feeling Drunk and High" when the music has hardly any grit, ambiance, or inebriation to it... (not to hate on HFTW, I just think they chorus lets the rest of the song down).

• Like 4

@jc90 -- I'm not a native french speaker, but it sounds like the same thing Chris sings in English:

Basically "One resembles another, made of the same sea. ... to make a great river."

my thoughts too. Not a native speaker either, only high school quebec french!

• Like 1

my thoughts too. Not a native speaker either, only high school quebec french!

I don't have the songs anymore as I streamed the leaks and the links were deleted, I was also too hyped to pay 100% attention to the lyrics, but the first few lines were something about two rivers being the same or meeting together or something. When the songs are out in a couple hours I'll come back with an accurate translation!

Ok I couldn’t wait so I listened. The songs are on the subreddit it you are interested.

Here’s my unfiltered thoughts...(tried to avoid comments before listening and writing this)

[spoiler=My take on the songs]Orphan: This is a familiar Coldplay sound. It’s more of a “preachy” song that gives me Every Teardrop vibes. It honestly sounds like it could be one of those Olympic theme songs because it has a very worldly and upbeat sound. This is modern Coldplay but not as colorful as the AHFOD sound.

Arabesque: This is definitely different and I will say right off the bat I love it. If I had to compare it to something, it’s a more gritty song (akin to Major Minus but more mellow). It gives be OK Computer vibes also with some glitchy sounds towards the end. If I had to force it into an era, I would say the Viva era because of its unique sound.

Overall Orphan is a safe modern Coldplay song and Arabesque is more experimental rock. It’s a good day!

• Like 1

I think its a sign that when I type 'Every' on my phone, it now autocompletes to 'Everyday' and the next work is 'Life'

• Like 4

Ok I couldn’t wait so I listened. The songs are on the subreddit it you are interested.

Here’s my unfiltered thoughts...(tried to avoid comments before listening and writing this)

[spoiler=My take on the songs]Orphan: This is a familiar Coldplay sound. It’s more of a “preachy” song that gives me Every Teardrop vibes. It honestly sounds like it could be one of those Olympic theme songs because it has a very worldly and upbeat sound. This is modern Coldplay but not as colorful as the AHFOD sound.

Arabesque: This is definitely different and I will say right off the bat I love it. If I had to compare it to something, it’s a more gritty song (akin to Major Minus but more mellow). It gives be OK Computer vibes also with some glitchy sounds towards the end. If I had to force it into an era, I would say the Viva era because of its unique sound.

Overall Orphan is a safe modern Coldplay song and Arabesque is more experimental rock. It’s a good day!

And even then, I find Orphans is a New Coldplay song for sure but definitely less modern or poppy than what was on AHOD

Great to see your opinions guys! I hope you don't mind if I quote some fan opinions in the article scheduled for 7:30 pm

• Like 8

Great to see your opinions guys! I hope you don't mind if I quote some fan opinions in the article scheduled for 7:30 pm

If you end up eyeing or using any of my quotes, be my guest! Would be an honour.

• Wow 1

Can't find the songs anywhere. I guess that's good, I can wait for the official release!

Can't find the songs anywhere. I guess that's good, I can wait for the official release!

Yeah, tried finding them again to see if I could translate the french verse for you guys and they seem to be gone for good. Well, only two and a half hours to go, so we're good!

• Like 2

Omgs!!! I can’t wait!!! Reading all of your descriptions fills me with such hope!! Coldplay reinvented!!!! A new era has begun!!!

• Like 1

Well, just heard the stuff.

GODDAMN ARABESQUE. Id does bebop indeed. Joony's got the other guys jazz.

Strong "I am the walrus" vibes from lyrics. "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together" lol. Wouldn't mind a beatles cover during the shows.

"Orphans" is AHFOD done right. I've been waiting for it for 4 years now. hahahaha

• Like 6

Can someone confirm it doesn’t sound like Los Unidades as someone was insinuating?

Arabesque sounds heavy, jazzy, progressive, orchestral. Gives me some vibes of Reflektor-era Arcade Fire. I think it's amazing !

Orphans was the one I thought was like LU from the snippet, but it is more like MX/AHFOD with better production than either of these albums.

I'm positively impressed overall !

• Like 7
  • Wow 1