🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coldplay Twitter posting article about Everyday Life being a potential contender for the Grammy's album of the year, which would be nominated well over a year the album came out... not sure if it's el

Well, for me Coldplaying is another common room where I can hang out, thus, I'm here so often! But I'm convinced that there are other users who would be more responsible and conscientious as moderator

The other day I received a physical copy of the Japanese edition of Everyday Life. I was surprised to discover that it was different from the regular version, which I had purchased before, in another

Posted Images

I did, very interesting article. It's nice to see someone shed some light and bring relevant people's insight on how Coldplay have stayed relevant and break the bank on rock tours.... unlike people just sh**ing on the band.

• Like 4

One of my main takeaways from this article is that people say Coldplay are very middle-of-the-road and un-revolutionary. Sure, a lot of their songs fit nicely in the background at a Starbucks, but I think quite the contrary to the idea that they are un-revolutionary-

Certainly, Coldplay admittedly were attempting to put their moderate twist on the sounds of Radiohead and Jeff Buckley towards the beginning, but they have evolved unlike really any of their contemporaries. They have embraced all genres of music to make their own music that truly doesn't have a genre. How many bands have dabbled in rock, indie, country, pop, hip-hop, EDM while actually having acclaim and success doing so? They have redefined "rock" from heavily distorted guitars, groupies, drugs, etc. into a euphoric, uplifting, unifying experience centered more around emotions and less about inventive, complex music to bang your head to.

• Like 12
One of my main takeaways from this article is that people say Coldplay are very middle-of-the-road and un-revolutionary. Sure, a lot of their songs fit nicely in the background at a Starbucks, but I think quite the contrary to the idea that they are un-revolutionary-

Certainly, Coldplay admittedly were attempting to put their moderate twist on the sounds of Radiohead and Jeff Buckley towards the beginning, but they have evolved unlike really any of their contemporaries. They have embraced all genres of music to make their own music that truly doesn't have a genre. How many bands have dabbled in rock, indie, country, pop, hip-hop, EDM while actually having acclaim and success doing so? They have redefined "rock" from heavily distorted guitars, groupies, drugs, etc. into a euphoric, uplifting, unifying experience centered more around emotions and less about inventive, complex music to bang your head to.

Perfectly said. I have always said that Coldplay are their own genre.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I love this take!

So I personally have a hard time with this death of rock thing bc I do love the simple crunch of guitars and bass and drums and all that and wish I could find more of it that I love like the music of my youth as a middle aged oldster.

That being said I love many genres and lots of music so it isn't bc those others are more popular that it distresses me. Honestly it is probably bc I just dont have the desire to hunt for things like I used to as a kid ...

Anyway I agree that Coldplay transcends genres and their ability to flow with time is amazing.

I still think another amazing era of music we've not even thought about yet is right around the corner...

• Like 4

It is what I have been saying for years, they are the last great, big rock band. Imagine Dragons are now so awful they have no chance of ever getting close to anything like the success of Coldplay. I suppose The 1975 (Who's new album is INCREDIBLE) are next in line to the throne, but idk if they are ever gonna be a stadium rock band.

It is what I have been saying for years, they are the last great, big rock band. Imagine Dragons are now so awful they have no chance of ever getting close to anything like the success of Coldplay. I suppose The 1975 (Who's new album is INCREDIBLE) are next in line to the throne, but idk if they are ever gonna be a stadium rock band.

Imagine Dragons so desperately need a Brian Eno. They are immensely talented with a unique frontman with a great voice. The difference between Coldplay and Imagine Dragons is that Imagine Dragons seem content to stick with a formula that works, whereas Coldplay never wanted to repeat something they've already done, but still have their signature stamp on everything they release. There's nothing inherently wrong with I.D. sticking with a formula that works, and I have seen Imagine Dragons and they are an excellent live act, but it is starting to wear on the general masses. It feels as though they could be so much more, and it's really a shame we might never see them reach their full creative potential, like Coldplay did, imo, with VLV and MX.

• Like 6
Imagine Dragons so desperately need a Brian Eno. They are immensely talented with a unique frontman with a great voice. The difference between Coldplay and Imagine Dragons is that Imagine Dragons seem content to stick with a formula that works, whereas Coldplay never wanted to repeat something they've already done, but still have their signature stamp on everything they release. There's nothing inherently wrong with I.D. sticking with a formula that works, and I have seen Imagine Dragons and they are an excellent live act, but it is starting to wear on the general masses. It feels as though they could be so much more, and it's really a shame we might never see them reach their full creative potential, like Coldplay did, imo, with VLV and MX.

So I'm not the onlyone that thinks ID songs sound almost the same, similar percussion/drums, guitar riffs and so on...

• Like 4

I think the only problem with ID is that their most recent album is lacking in terms of dense production. If you've read the "Overall" part of my review on Los Unidade's latest Global Citizen EP, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Some of their new songs are great (Believer, Whatever it Takes, Walking the Wire) but they desperately need denser production, and with the help of Brian Eno, those songs could have been even more fantastic. Sadly, ID are going down the mainstream route of sparsely produced, electronic based songs, and not in the good way either. (A great example of the "good way" here is Ghost Stories, as Coldplay pulled off a spacey sparsely produced electronic album fabolously with this release.) It's because the production is so lacking, the songs are missing the energy they need. It's like what AHFOD would be, but yet another level down. They sound like they want to have energy.. but the production just doesn't do those songs justice and as a result I think those songs still have a good core, they just feel unfinished in terms of production. I've actually tried to fix Walking the Wire before, as it's the worst victim of them all, yet probably has the most potential out of all, sadly I just don't (didn't) have what it took to complete the other instrumental parts off right (the chorus is particularly disappointing, there needs to be another acoustic in there, some strings, a piano, and a tambourine, but sadly particularly when I recognized the need for another backing acoustic I was lost because at the time I didn't know how to play the acoustic well enough, and besides the best mic I have is my phone's, so it'd sound like garbage anyways. And I didn't know of any free guitar VSTs at the time that sounded good either) Whatever it Takes is probably the best produced out of all three and is actually quite decent. I think it's the last chorus though where they really put in the elements which make it stand out and actually sound energetic. Believer also isn't that bad but the verses are quite poppy and it feels like they're missing something, needs to be more rock-focused somehow (not sure how really). Also I feel the choruses should definitely be "heavier" as the song feels like it should have that type of vibe, I'd be thinking particularly for the last chorus a heavy distorted guitar and heavy drums (it's important IMO, at least in that song, the choruses should feel like they're "growing" with each repetition).

With Natural I think it's also well produced for the song it is. They do that weird vocal thing which they've done before, and it doesn't sound too seperate from their album material, but I'm glad it isn't as poppy as the others.

A statement I do slightly disagree with is this:

they have no chance of ever getting close to anything like the success of Coldplay.

I mean, I suppose Coldplay is a huge band internationally and they've sold tons of albums and singles etc. but ID have had their fair share of success as well, they've already had quite a few hit singles and I think even now, in the moment, they are definitely "close to anything like the success of Coldplay". Overall of course not, but only time will tell. ID is a much younger band than Coldplay and they still have lots of time left. Perhaps they won't have long term success like Coldplay has had, but if they do, they could probably be a contender for getting as much success as Coldplay. As for being titled "the last great big rock band", ID isn't really a rock band, they're more alternative, and they only "truly" had rock as a part of their sound back in their older days, it's just sprinkles of their previous rock flavor now, but same could be said for Coldplay too...

Guess only time will tell who truly will be the last great rock band still around. Obviously Coldplay aren't traditional rock, but back in the day they definitely were, and they definitely do have their rock moments, even in more recent songs. As somebody else mentioned. Coldplay kind of redefined rock in a way, and it's their own genre. Well, actually, I wouldn't go as far as to call it completely their own genre, but they do have a quite distinct, recognizable sound and they always manage to turn anything they touch into something great, something we can all enjoy, that has that unmistakable sound to it we associate with Coldplay.

• Like 4

Imagine Dragons...the band that doesn't want to embrace rock...a lot. Personally, when I see other people shitting on this band, I can understand where they're coming from, but truth be told, they clearly haven't heard shit like I'm So Sorry or Friction. That shit fucking slaps. Or even their more Coldplay-esque stuff like Hear Me. Or, more a obvious one: Radioactive. When they and K. Dot did that live at the Grammys (same year as Metallica and NIN...what the fuck happened to that show??) it was apparent to me that they (unlike Coldplay) could have been a band to embrace a heavier sound and be the true face of rock. I love Coldplay, and yes I'm still dreaming for them to record something as gritty as the live version of GPASYF, but they are a band that fits with a lot of styles (not bubblegum pop though FUCK NO:)). ID? To me, they are the band that works best as a rock band, because they truly pull it off. The energy of their live shows is insane and incredible. Such a shame that they are choosing to cater towards the masses. Their last two albums are utter trash. Thunder is probably one of the most annoying songs ever recorded, bar none. It seems as if they are going to continue down this route, though, unfortunately.

• Like 3
imagine dragons don't even compare to coldplay... are you kidding? lol sorry had to say this

I agree, but they are possibly the closest "new" thing/band since Coldplay that have some chance to be as big as Coldplay (However, given the last 2 albums from ID, they will not ever reach anywhere close to the status of Coldplay). But that is more of an indictment on just how huge Coldplay are around the world. The reason they are so huge is how they essentially have different eras of fans because of how much they have changed and stayed relevant for the last 20 years. Chris even mentioned how at concerts you have the new/young AHFOD fans at the front, and then the further away from the stage are the Parachutes/AROBTTH, etc fans. I don't know how true that is, but there is definitely fans of different eras and ages at the concerts. A 40 year old dude at a AHFOD concert who loved X&Y probably has nowhere near the musical taste of perhaps a younger person who got into the band during AHFOD era. I don't know if there are any bands now where that is true other than Coldplay. I'd love to know if that's true. (Maybe U2 or Rolling Stones?)

• Like 2
I agree, but they are possibly the closest "new" thing/band since Coldplay that have some chance to be as big as Coldplay (However, given the last 2 albums from ID, they will not ever reach anywhere close to the status of Coldplay). But that is more of an indictment on just how huge Coldplay are around the world. The reason they are so huge is how they essentially have different eras of fans because of how much they have changed and stayed relevant for the last 20 years. Chris even mentioned how at concerts you have the new/young AHFOD fans at the front, and then the further away from the stage are the Parachutes/AROBTTH, etc fans. I don't know how true that is, but there is definitely fans of different eras and ages at the concerts. A 40 year old dude at a AHFOD concert who loved X&Y probably has nowhere near the musical taste of perhaps a younger person who got into the band during AHFOD era. I don't know if there are any bands now where that is true other than Coldplay. I'd love to know if that's true. (Maybe U2 or Rolling Stones?)

True they are close, I think the Chainsmokers and Andrew Taggart's style is kind of like Coldplay as well, but with more modern production. I really like some of their songs, like Closer, but they are so hit and miss

True they are close, I think the Chainsmokers and Andrew Taggart's style is kind of like Coldplay as well, but with more modern production. I really like some of their songs, like Closer, but they are so hit and miss

Nooo please don't put The Chainsmokers anywhere in the same stratosphere as Coldplay. Perhaps I am biased because of my distaste for their music, but I don't think we will see them stay relevant. Are they even relevant anymore?

I'm not trying to be rude, I totally get why people like The Chainsmokers, but I am still bitter Chris wrote a song with them because I don't like them. And even more bitter Guy, Will, Jonny and Phil let it happen lol

• Like 2
Just to fan the rumor flames here, I volunteer with a nonprofit organization at concerts and music festivals, and word came through the grapevine that "Chris will be touring next year." The source said it wouldn't be with Coldplay, but instead a solo tour. I was told this before Los Unidades came out, so naturally, when the Global Citizen EP came out I'm left believing it will be something like an underground Los Unidades tour hahah. Hope there's some truth to it!

"I will never go solo" -Christopher Martin, circa 2016

• Like 4
"I will never go solo" -Christopher Martin, circa 2016

Sorry but I think as long as all four members are credited as writers of the Los Unidades material, considering it a solo project would be wrong even when it's only Chris who promotes the whole thing live (like we saw it recently in South Africa).

• Like 3

R

Nooo please don't put The Chainsmokers anywhere in the same stratosphere as Coldplay. Perhaps I am biased because of my distaste for their music, but I don't think we will see them stay relevant. Are they even relevant anymore?

I'm not trying to be rude, I totally get why people like The Chainsmokers, but I am still bitter Chris wrote a song with them because I don't like them. And even more bitter Guy, Will, Jonny and Phil let it happen lol

roses, closer, something just like this. I dig the songwriting on these songs, and especially the production. Coldplay has an old school style, and could use some chainsmokers modern production styles imo. But yeah most chainsmokers songs are trash. But they will stay relevant for sure

• Like 1
but I am still bitter Chris wrote a song with them because I don't like them. And even more bitter Guy, Will, Jonny and Phil let it happen lol

Couldn't it be they liked it?

Their taste of music isn't necessarily yours or mine. We just have to accept it and be glad they always try something new.

This song has become so popular all over the world. I think we shouldn't look down on all the people who like it.

• Like 2

This forum is becoming more and more the same. Can't we say we just don't like a song? Am I obligated to like it just because the mainstream media like it?

Ffs people. It's not wrong to like songs that I think it's trash, but it isn't also wrong to think a song is trash. They are both opinions.

I think SJLT is utter trash and I don't even consider it a Coldplay song. So much that even my Coldplay playlist has EVERY Coldplay song, except SJLT.

Am I not allowed to say this?

• Like 6