🛒 SHOP THE NEW CHRISTMAS LIGHTS COLLECTION 🛒
stephen

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

Thanks. I don't dislike them by any means, it's just that I don't feel as strongly about them anymore as I used to. At the moment they just don't manage to hold my attention anymore throughout the song.

Maybe you just listened too much? I know I myself have done that with a lot of songs. I usually take a break and then come back to rediscover them.

• Like 4

Maybe you just listened too much? I know I myself have done that with a lot of songs. I usually take a break and then come back to rediscover them.

That could be the case for COTW, yeah !

• Like 3

I just want to thank Coldplay for putting this album out. They had to know it wouldn't be a chart-topper, very few songs on here are typical pop fare that they've kind of become known for. I know Everyday Life still charted #1 in the UK but it was only #7 here in the US, their lowest showing since Parachutes and I wouldn't be surprised if it's their first album not to go Platinum here.

There's so much beauty in the restraint, relying on acoustic guitars and pianos instead of bombastic choruses and synthesized drum beats. I cherish this Coldplay and I hope with everything I have that we'll see more of them in the future.

This is the first time I've been proud to be a Coldplay fan in probably ten years. I loved most of MX and that came out in 2011 but I was mortified by Paradise being everywhere. I still can't stand that chorus. I was worried that the Coldplay I knew and loved was gone forever after two disappointing albums and a decent-at-best EP. They proved me wrong. <3

• Like 11

Over 2 months since I first listened to the album, and almost 3 months after Orphans + Arabesque dropped, here are my thoughts...

Everyday Life is legendary by Coldplay standards. I don't think we'll ever get anything quite like it again, just like AROBTTH and X&Y, but I think it's very much on par with those albums. I'm shocked by how much I've enjoyed it, I really am...

Can't name a favorite song on the main album anymore, originally Arabesque and Trouble In Town were my favorites but there are just so many strong tracks... WOTW/POTP is the weakest of the bunch, but even then I love the rawness of it. Cry Cry Cry and BrokEN have grown on me a lot, When I Need A Friend is so ethereal and magical, Orphans is the best "catchy pop Coldplay" song since Viva la Vida, Eko and Old Friends rival Strawberry Swing when it comes to just how soothing they are, Daddy strikes an emotional chord every time... I just can't name a bad track or one that I find myself skipping often.

The only track that hasn't stayed great in my opinion or grown on me is Flags. I really enjoyed it when it leaked from the Japanese version of the album, but honestly it has just started to seem bland... the message behind the song is great, the lyrics are great, but the melody just doesn't seem so strong. Oh well.

• Like 5

This album hasn’t rated too well in New Zealand, about a 3-star average, despite instantly topping the charts upon its release.

I’ve had friends and family who have been Coldplay fans since the very start and have been to multiple concerts say that this album isn’t their strongest, such as some songs like COTW are too soft and not a lot too it, other songs being weaker. The gospel, religious side just isn’t working for them. Orphans, Arabesque, Church and Everyday Life has remained the favourites typically.

For me personally, this album has really grown on me, Arabesque is an absolute legend of a song but When I Need A Friend remains as the song I nearly always skip. Cry Cry Cry and COTW haven’t been instantly liked by myself but they certainly have grown now

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I just can't name a bad track or one that I find myself skipping often...[/Quote]

I totally agree with you, I love this album! Some songs like Cry Cry Cry have also grown on me, and I like When I Need a Friend a lot. I can't name a bad song on this album either, I even think Flags is a great song, it has a catchy melody and interesting lyrics.

• Like 2

I dunno where to post is there not a thread for the palladium shows !? Wondering to get some suggestion on who to follow on Instagram etc from here that are going !! I have jimmy and a few others but o waited for 3 hours last night hoping to see some videos or lives and well “ all IS lost I did see some YouTube’s earlier everything sounded so good!

I dunno where to post is there not a thread for the palladium shows !? Wondering to get some suggestion on who to follow on Instagram etc from here that are going !! I have jimmy and a few others but o waited for 3 hours last night hoping to see some videos or lives and well “ all IS lost I did see some YouTube’s earlier everything sounded so good!

Check out this thread:

https://coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/everyday-life-la-shows.126245/page-6#post-5962228

• Like 1

According to someone on discord Chris said "we'll see you in a few months" at the end of the show last night? is that true?

Also -- wasn't concrete evidence that Cry Cry Cry was getting a Dakota Johnson-directed video and that Trouble In Town was casting for a video? Is the EL era truly over now?

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

According to someone on discord Chris said "we'll see you in a few months" at the end of the show last night? is that true?

Also -- wasn't concrete evidence that Cry Cry Cry was getting a Dakota Johnson-directed video and that Trouble In Town was casting for a video? Is the EL era truly over now?

Someone on Twitter also pointed out that Cry Cry Cry is starting to get added to radio playlists, so the video for that may indeed be coming very soon.

Hopefully Trouble In Town follows shortly after.

• Like 4

I went to one of the palladium shows. I've loved this album more than any album released since I became a huge fan (2011). Still, what caught me off guard was how much I enjoyed the EL songs live than even the oldies like Sparks and LIJ. I love those songs, but the EL songs really came alive. Orphans wasn't one of my favorites in the album, but holy cow is it good live! Arabesque was the most transcendent experience I've had at a Coldplay gig.

I just wish Coldplay had released this album when they were relevant in the mainstream media. Imagine the impact it could have had!

• Like 6

I went to one of the palladium shows. I've loved this album more than any album released since I became a huge fan (2011). Still, what caught me off guard was how much I enjoyed the EL songs live than even the oldies like Sparks and LIJ. I love those songs, but the EL songs really came alive. Orphans wasn't one of my favorites in the album, but holy cow is it good live! Arabesque was the most transcendent experience I've had at a Coldplay gig.

I just wish Coldplay had released this album when they were relevant in the mainstream media. Imagine the impact it could have had!

Aren't they still relevant (if not a little less so)?

What makes a band relevant? They just had a no.1 album despite skipping most of the usual promo involved in releases. They also got nominated for the Brit awards. It's not too bad i think.

Edited by LisaFeehily
  • Like 5

Aren't they still relevant (if not a little less so)?

They don't have the same traction with mainstream media they used to have. For example, look at the Jordan stream coverage, or the coverage focusing on the lyrical subject matter, or basically anything they have done this era. Other than the controversial no touring comments, other things were hardly written about and talked about. It happens as a band ages and the lack of promo didn't really help bridge the gap. In terms of the album being #1 it was in a few countries, but not in as many as it used to be. Like it was #7 in the US. People hardly knew that a new album was out. There was a time when everything Coldplay did mattered. Like how everything Billie Eilish does matters today. But that day is gone as it happens. I'm not hating on the band. Just to clarify. This happens to pretty much every big artist.

The band has accepted this based on the comments. For me, it is a great time for the band to do their thing, however they want, instead of trying to appease as many people as they can. Which they did do before. So letting go of being the biggest band ambition is great. But my point was, this album could have reached a bigger audience and had more artistic impact if they were more relevant in mainstream media.

• Like 6

Yeah not sure if I can really define relevance, but speaking as an American, I can say that commercially, musically and pop culture-wise, they are definitely the least relevant they've ever been.

EL was hardly marketed like other CP albums, and the style of music presented is wildly different from the Top 40 sounds we're hearing nowadays. And finally, I think most people still "like" Coldplay but at this point I don't see them being a huge pop-culture influence in the 2020's. Every band has to reach a point where they become more "legacy" act and are less relevant to younger people.

That's not to say they're not still important to a ton of people and that their albums can't win awards, or sell out shows. U2, Radiohead, Muse, and others still get tons of media and press recognition and alternative radio play when they drop stuff. But we're never gonna relive OK Computer or Joshua Tree, if that makes sense. Nor will we X&Y. Even if they drop some radio singles for LP9, we still have to contend with the fact that band music is not what people are looking for anymore.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

I see what you mean about them not being as mainstream with this album and therefore not reaching as many people.

Personally, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything because of it, it doesn't change the way I think about their music. And whether or not other people enjoy it is up to them (I don't enjoy everything that's mainstream currently either).

I also think that change in mainstream music doesn't necessarily have to come from within it, or that it would happen suddenly. What I'm trying to say is it's hard to judge what impact this album might really have in the end. Someone mentioned the sustainable touring comments, this will also not suddenly change the industry but over time could have a bigger impact than any act currently touring.

Even if it doesn't have any wider impact then in terms of the band's legacy it's still very positive so I don't worry about it.

• Like 1

EL was hardly marketed like other CP Albums

It was heavily promoted by the band and Parlophone in the lead-up to its release,..

we still have to contend with the fact that band music is not what people are looking for anymore...

I wonder why they didn't market it like other albums. In certain ways it can be compared to 'Ghost Stories', also an album which they didn't tour and of which they knew it would soon be followed by another album. But 'Ghost Stories' was heavily promoted in the lead-up to ist release and so immediately became number 1 in about 70 countries.

Were they really not interested in the success of EL?

Btw, I don't think band music is not what people are looking for anymore. I think the success of solo singers at the moment is because there aren't many great bands around (with the exception of Coldplay, of course).

Edited by Guest
  • Like 4

I wonder why they didn't market it like other albums. In certain ways it can be compared to 'Ghost Stories', also an album which they didn't tour and of which they knew it would soon be followed by another album. But 'Ghost Stories' was heavily promoted in the lead-up to ist release and so immediately became number 1 in about 70 countries.

Were they really not interested in the success of EL?

Btw, I don't think band music is not what people are looking for anymore. I think the success of solo singers at the moment is because there aren't many great bands around (with the exception of Coldplay, of course).

I wonder if people will see them as the last big band in thirty years

• Like 5

Wish Arabesque got a video too....it seems out of place with the others.

I really hope they'll release a music video for Arabesque soon!

• Like 2

Woohoo champion of the world!!!

Y’know what this song I didn’t really like at first I thought it was a bit meh but now it’s really grown on me and it’s not a bad tune, I hope they will play as maybe an encore song on their next tour.

this video looks pretty cool so far too, with schoolboy Chris and all haha

• Like 4

This song is my childhood, just from a girl's perspective.

• Like 6

This and Flags have been on repeat for a while now, for me.

The same for me, I love those catchy melodies and the lyrics are very uplifting. The video is good, too, but it is fairly simple, just retelling the story. I would have liked to see E.T. on his bike. I like the end when all the members, each on top of his own planet earth, are playing: Coldplay in command of the universe.

• Like 1