🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

2019-11-02 Coldplay Live on Saturday Night Live (SNL)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm loving the band's live look for this era, really basic with a slightly old-fashioned vibe.

Yeah, Chris didn't sound too great :joy: but it was fun to watch, I loved the folks with the lyric signs and the lyric video behind the band.

• Like 2

I'm loving the band's live look for this era, really basic with a slightly old-fashioned vibe.

Yeah, Chris didn't sound too great :joy: but it was fun to watch, I loved the folks with the lyric signs and the lyric video behind the band.

This is gonna sound weird, but I love hearing imperfections in live performances. Makes it human and raw.

If I wanted a carbon copy of the record, i'd stay at home and listen to it haha.

• Like 6

It’s hard when you have songs that use more elements then normal singer and the instruments I think they pulled this off really good .. I felt joy exuding from it so I think this was a win ! Especially for a tv show ! I

• Like 2

@ColdplayingMama yeah I've heard of more experimental performances including audience participation and what not, getting people up on stage and even playing in the crowd, glad to see Coldplay doing this kinda stuff! Then again it is SNL so......

@42Escapist @TomRiver I do agree Chris didn't sound at his greatest, but I also agree that imperfections make a performance more authentic and raw. That being said he can sound "good" while having a difference from a "carbon copy" of the record, or even improve on his performance from the record (highly unlikely as we all know Chris isn't the best singer live, especially when running around and all) so that's how people manage to sing angelicly but still manage to sound interesting and different from the record. While even managing to screw up occasionally for that raw sound.

@ParadiseLost not really surprising since SNL used to be a lot better back in the day, so maybe you watch too many old episodes and this is looking really boring :joy:

• Like 3

@kcp Coldplay's ben using "more elements than normal singer" for over the past decade, and I haven't watched too many older Coldplay performances but people report they always felt a lot more raw but simultaneously performed nicer. Obviously the requirement of backing tracks on some songs makes the performance less "authentic" which is where the part of the bias comes from IMO, but I can't comment on how Chris Martin's voice sounded back in the days as compared to now.

@ParadiseLost I could understand a low quality stream impacting the performance but jokes are funny high or low fidelity. But I'll agree this definitely isn't their best episode. :joy:

Also I'm pretty sure we're gonna get another performance, according to @danirl87 anyway (I don't know how they figure that but hey I hope they're right!)

@kcp Coldplay's ben using "more elements than normal singer" for over the past decade, and I haven't watched too many older Coldplay performances but people report they always felt a lot more raw but simultaneously performed nicer. Obviously the requirement of backing tracks on some songs makes the performance less "authentic" which is where the part of the bias comes from IMO, but I can't comment on how Chris Martin's voice sounded back in the days as compared to now.

@ParadiseLost I could understand a low quality stream impacting the performance but jokes are funny high or low fidelity. But I'll agree this definitely isn't their best episode. :joy:

Also I'm pretty sure we're gonna get another performance, according to @danirl87 anyway (I don't know how they figure that but hey I hope they're right!)

snl always has 2 performances

@oliviyya perhaps they'll play Arabesque but according to @I ran away they've rehearsed the title track so that's more likely (and someone else in this thread apparently figures they're playing that too so that's more likely I'd say)

oh yeah that makes sense! didnt see that til i read up in the thread, cant wait to hear it, i havent listened to it yet

I’ve never seen Coldplay sing with a choir or anything of the sort in a live performance .. that’s all I meant by “normal singers” meaning just the band :) besides their kids singing on the side lol I’m stoked for Jordan I think we’ll really get a lot of this .

• Like 1