✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

12 hours ago, harrisonrules said:

Notice anything odd about this picture?

E3Z_BUSXEAAFZGH.jpeg.jpg

Nobody answered this but I will if you look closely the Kaotica is reverse and upside down behind Chris

I rotated and flipped

You clearly see SAGAM

that could be magasin but I researched SAGAM and discovered thisΒ 

Β 

20210610_121235.jpg

20210610_121940.jpg

7 minutes ago, harrisonrules said:

Nobody answered this but I will if you look closely the Kaotica is reverse and upside down behind Chris

I rotated and flipped

You clearly see SAGAM

that could be magasin but I researched SAGAM and discovered thisΒ 

Β 

20210610_121235.jpg

20210610_121940.jpg

I'd say it's simply,MAGAS backwards

Β 

Couple things have stood out over the past few days :Β 

1. Chris' discussion of Max Martin seems to suggest the album will be very poppy, which I think we already were expecting. He basically said that Max is helping members of the band realize they can make songs that are more pop. Hard to know if he was talking about Higher Power or this whole era.Β 

2. The band is still recording? Chris said he had a song for Max Martin just the other day, and it seems like they're doing their interviews from the same building where they could be wrapping up the record. So maybe MOTS wasn't finished around the same time as EL like some of us predicted. Or maybe it was and they've completely changed it?Β Β 

3. Jonny mentioned during the Twitter Q&A that he's loving the Meris Enzo guitar pedal. It can create some synth sounds that are unrecognizable as guitar, so this suggests more synth sounds will be present on the album -- or more songs where there isn't traditional Coldplay guitar sounds.Β 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, lennyrott1 said:

1. Chris' discussion of Max Martin seems to suggest the album will be very poppy, which I think we already were expecting. He basically said that Max is helping members of the band realize they can make songs that are more pop. Hard to know if he was talking about Higher Power or this whole era.Β 

2. The band is still recording? Chris said he had a song for Max Martin just the other day, and it seems like they're doing their interviews from the same building where they could be wrapping up the record. So maybe MOTS wasn't finished around the same time as EL like some of us predicted. Or maybe it was and they've completely changed it?Β Β 

3. Jonny mentioned during the Twitter Q&A that he's loving the Meris Enzo guitar pedal. It can create some synth sounds that are unrecognizable as guitar, so this suggests more synth sounds will be present on the album -- or more songs where there isn't traditional Coldplay guitar sounds.Β 

I really don’t know how to feel about this, I just really hope Max Martin is trying to be more experimental and is trying some new sounds himself, working with the band to create something bigger than them, and himself; as in: I hope he isn’t trying to make something formulaic, but that he is pushing his own boundaries to grow too... let’s hope the guysΒ are strong enough to not β€œfollow the crowd” blindly and standΒ strong withΒ their convictions on what sounds they like!Β 
Β 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AnaMarie said:

I really don’t know how to feel about this, I just really hope Max Martin is trying to be more experimental and is trying some new sounds himself, working with the band to create something bigger than them, and himself; as in: I hope he isn’t trying to make something formulaic, but that he is pushing his own boundaries to grow too... let’s hope the guysΒ are strong enough to not β€œfollow the crowd” blindly and standΒ strong withΒ their convictions on what sounds they like!Β 
Β 

I would think working with Stargate on AHFOD is what got them to indulge in the sounds of mainstream pop, not working with Max Martin several years later.

If they really want to work with a successful pop producer, I wish Coldplay would work with Greg Kurstin instead... he may be known for his work with pop stars like Sia, but he did an incredible job on the last two Foo Fighters albums. And the Foo Fighters aren't mainstream pop. They're a popular alternative rock band and Kurstin helped them experiment, but he didn't turn them into something poppy at all.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

Great post!

That guitar pedal is definitely interesting!Β Giving some very interesting opportunities to mix up the sound a bit. Also I have felt like they are definitely still recording, maybe changing upΒ a few things after being able to rehearse and play in live setting.Β Also rehearsing andΒ playing new songs live could help toΒ decide on tracklistΒ andΒ inspire writingΒ more newΒ songs of course. Considering thereΒ still seems to be some time untilΒ the release of the whole project, I guess it's quite sensible to still work on it.

About the album being poppy. It probably will be, but I guess the production will still have quite a lot alternative and experimental side too andΒ I see this being way way better than AHFOD productionwise.Β After hearing Higher PowerΒ I'm not worried at all about production or the instrumentals from Jonny, Guy, Will and Max Martin.Β Higher Power has shown such a strong production/mixing, it delivers a bit differently with studio and live versions, but both are amazing. Also Human Heart has provenΒ there will be definitely some variety as always onΒ Coldplay albums.

What I'm a bit worried aboutΒ is that amazing production can sometimes overshadow the mediocre songwriting. Hopefully it will be balanced and songwriting/quality of production will be on the same level. In terms of songwriting, Higher Power for me is kind of walking on edge - it is quite cleverly structured, veryΒ catchy and so full of energy, but nowhere close to gettingΒ masterpiece hit song status.Β I was waiting a bit more to be honest, when considering the amount of promotion. It seemed like it wanted to become a massive hit, but maybe it wasΒ just the most perfect song to come back with and they didn't really care. Right now it feels like it'sΒ a great show opener like A Head Full of Dreams and Hurts Like Heaven, but not achieving massive hit status (I couldΒ be wrong and they could have something else as opener for tour).Β Also with Higher Power being out now for month already and comparing it to everything else and Coldplay's past releases, I'm more and more starting toΒ feelΒ it is actually way more "alternative" in the current music scene than I thought at first. Dynamics andΒ production are just too rich and too different to most of the current (mainly solo artists')Β music andΒ funnily enough -Β feels aΒ like a rock band still at the time, whereΒ there hardly isΒ even any bands in charts. Or maybe I'm just overthinking and it's just a flop pop song.Β Β ?Β 

• Like 10

15 hours ago, AnaMarie said:

Β 

I really risk being called out for being too negative, but IΒ am unfortunately certain that they will follow the crowd... I hopeΒ at least there will be 2-3 songs that I like.

I can't stand Higher Power, I think it isΒ abysmal. Mind you, I love 90% of their stuff. I think Everyday Life was their bestΒ album since Viva.Β 

But this... God, I hate everythingΒ about Higher Power... Human Heart sounds OK.Β 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Strawberry Swinger said:

There haven't beenΒ any color songs since MX, right? OK, Color Spectrum was there if you count that.Β 

Yes, I absolutely count Colour Spectrum because it has all the colours in it. And even if you think about it, you could doubt more of that in Everyday Life, because you wonder: where is the colour song there? 0k, there wasn't a colour song itself, but they were more twisted in that album. The second half of the album is called "Sunset", and "Sunset" is also a colour:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_(color)

They always think about that.

• Like 1

So it's been confirmed that HP is the soundtrack for the latest BMW commercial.

I guess what Coldplay and BMWΒ have in common is their goal to become more environmentally friendly. That, and how with their latest launches andΒ their changes in styleΒ they've alienated large parts of their fan bases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Β 

What I'm a bit worried aboutΒ is that amazing production can sometimes overshadow the mediocre songwriting. Hopefully it will be balanced and songwriting/quality of production will be on the same level. In terms of songwriting, Higher Power for me is kind of walking on edge - it is quite cleverly structured, veryΒ catchy and so full of energy, but nowhere close to gettingΒ masterpiece hit song status.Β 

^This. Exactly this. Production is one thing, but songwriting is another. My issue with Newplay isn't necessarily that Jonny's guitar or Guy'sΒ is sometimes mixed poorly (though that is a problem), it's mostly that some songs just aren't as sharply written or as catchy as Oldplay. Higher Power is overall a well written song with fun, clean production. But does it feel as cinematic as Paradise? Or as danceable as AOAL? Or as catchy as Magic? Or as energetic and raw as Orphans? Not in my opinon.

Only time will tell on how MOTS shapes out -- I doubt it will be 100% pop songs, but the ratio could be bigger than ever. Or maybe not! Β I was expecting a way poppier AHFOD with Stargate and was super angry about that back in 2015, but in hindsight the percussion and atmosphere on that album is pretty dang nice sounding and it gave us some tunes Oldplayers can love -- Birds, Amazing Day, Up&Up.

Chris also said in interviews that this is a new thing for Max to be working with a band like Coldplay, so I don't think we can really predict the final sound. With Higher Power, I'm torn. It seems so far like the song is kind of flopping the U.S. and I agree that it's kind of a 50/50 between rock and pop, just like a lot of AHFOD and GS. I simultaneously feel bad for the band if Higher Power is their huge flagship for this era and it's their least successful single, but also I hope that it is their flagship and that means other songs will be more weird & spacey. Chris did say they were trying to imagine what alien music sounds like, and so far it just sounds like Coldplay lol.Β 

Edited by lennyrott1
  • Like 4

I must admit I'm not feeling entirely hopeful about the new era.

But I think people are forgetting that Music of the Spheres as a concept started during the Viva days and that all the reused terms (Alien Radio) and reused set ideas and costumes from the MX tour seem to confirm this. Just like the MX and Viva eras, Jon Hopkins is allegedly back (from his reddit AMA) and that we've heard only one pop song (HP) while hearing another in the vein of Everyday Life (HH) and a weird ambient intro that sounds like the Escapist, MMIX, and Always in My Head combined.

People are also overlooking how ambitious this is. This has entire worlds and planets, a concept, a language and culture, weird radio transmissions that suggest further clues, etc. This feels way too ambitious to be something like GS or AHFOD but rather something like MX or VLV. Will said his favorite song which was played on BBC big weekend but not broadcasted is something they've never done before - Chris also talked about a new song that was "weird and new", comparing it to metal/jazz-fusion.

I think there's something much more exciting to come than what we've seen so far.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

55 minutes ago, TheBigBadBono said:

I must admit I'm not feeling entirely hopeful about the new era.

But I think people are forgetting that Music of the Spheres as a concept started during the Viva days and that all the reused terms (Alien Radio) and reused set ideas and costumes from the MX tour seem to confirm this. Just like the MX and Viva eras, Jon Hopkins is allegedly back (from his reddit AMA) and that we've heard only one pop song (HP) while hearing another in the vein of Everyday Life (HH) and a weird ambient intro that sounds like the Escapist, MMIX, and Always in My Head combined.

People are also overlooking how ambitious this is. This has entire worlds and planets, a concept, a language and culture, weird radio transmissions that suggest further clues, etc. This feels way too ambitious to be something like GS or AHFOD but rather something like MX or VLV. Will said his favorite song which was played on BBC big weekend but not broadcasted is something they've never done before - Chris also talked about a new song that was "weird and new", comparing it to metal/jazz-fusion.

I think there's something much more exciting to come than what we've seen so far.

I'm kinda hoping they bring back some MX era songs that never saw the light of dayΒ 

Great ExpectationsΒ 

Sex and ViolenceΒ 

Etc

• Like 3

1 hour ago, harrisonrules said:

Picture it

The year is 2047Β and Coldplay has just released their 17 studio album that Chris claims will likely be their last

Β 

Ray Liotta Lol GIF

20210611_143440.jpg

I thought that you'd posted a picture of New Order or The Who there...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2021 at 4:16 PM, lennyrott1 said:

I'm so excited by this guitar-synth thing. Jonny already makes such cool sounds on the guitar, whether that's the main riff in POC, the ambient intro of MX-era GPASUYF or AROBTTH-era Spies. Matthew Bellamy (guitarist of Muse) and Chris Wolstenholme (bassist) both run their instruments through lots of synth pedals and get super interesting results.

Simple application - arpeggiator on the guitar

Β 

More complex application - making dubstep with guitars and bassΒ ?

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Love 2

30 minutes ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

I'm so excited by this guitar-synth thing. Jonny already makes such cool sounds on the guitar, whether that's the main riff in POC, the ambient intro of MX-era GPASUYF or AROBTTH-era Spies. Matthew Bellamy (guitarist of Muse) and Chris Wolstenholme (bassist) both run their instruments through lots of synth pedals and get super interesting results.

Simple application - arpeggiator on the guitar

Β 

More complex application - making dubstep with guitars and bassΒ ?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Muse rocksΒ 

• Like 1

• Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion