โœจ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR โœจ

๐Ÿช Coldplay: Music of the Spheres ๐Ÿช | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

22 hours ago, LisaFeehily said:

The acoustic version is refreshing, especially the live performance of it. Seeing the choir on stage with the band is lovely.

That being said, it's not a game changer for me. Acoustic or not, the song's just a bit flat.

I'm also still getting used to how playback is the new live. Iย really don't buy that the Today Show performance was live, even if they call it that. Their visuals are always very beautiful and finally seeing a real audience is super nice. With real live music it would be a thousand times better though.ย 

What was in playback? Chris sing live, maybe the piano?

17 minutes ago, GamingForeverAUS said:

so far, all of the HP performances in NYC have used playback for the love choir.

Even in the Tonight Show performance? I certainly hope not. Though all of the electric performances have usedย playback for the backing vocals, except for maybe Will's. Maybe. I can't tell if Will is actually singing.

57 minutes ago, GamingForeverAUS said:

so far, all of the HP performances in NYC have used playback for the love choir.

There was four singer, for me it was played live. Backing track vocal are used since 2005, even guitar backing track (Square one, yellow, 42 in 2008,...). The most important problem for me is when chris totally lipsync on songs.ย 

Now as Chris use live playback vocal it's hard to know if he sang live or not. We don't know if ASFOS at NY yesterday was really sang live.

Edited by Pier62b
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pier62b said:

There was four singer, for me it was played live. Backing track vocal are used since 2005, even guitar backing track (Square one, yellow, 42 in 2008,...). The most important problem for me is when chris totally lipsync on songs.ย 

Now as Chris use live playback vocal it's hard to know if he sang live or not. We don't know if ASFOS at NY yesterday was really sang live.

true. we would need a higher quality recording then an audience recording to tell if it's a pre-recorded vocal track.

9 hours ago, GamingForeverAUS said:

To me it sounds like Chris is lip synching the chorus during the Today Show performance of HP. And I also think Clocks was fully mimed.ย 

1 hour ago, LisaFeehily said:

To me it sounds like Chris is lip synching the chorus during the Today Show performance of HP. And I also think Clocks was fully mimed.ย 

Why do you think it's playback. For this Time, I think he really sang live, we heard less his voice when he was away of the mic.ย 

At around 1:50min into the HP performance there's a transition from playback to live vocals in my opinion. Chris suddenly sounds quite out of breath, which he doesn't sound like at all during the chorus itself despite his dancing. I think from 1:19-1:50 is playback and same for the other choruses.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LisaFeehily said:

At around 1:50min into the HP performance there's a transition from playback to live vocals in my opinion. Chris suddenly sounds quite out of breath, which he doesn't sound like at all during the chorus itself despite his dancing. I think from 1:19-1:50 is playback and same for the other choruses.

For me it was sang 100% live by Chris but on chorus, je has a lot of help from the 4 singer. He was out of breath during all the song, we heard it even during the chorus.ย 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pier62b said:

For me it was sang 100% live by Chris but on chorus, je has a lot of help from the 4 singer. He was out of breath during all the song, we heard it even during the chorus.ย 

Another moment where I'd question if it was live is at around 2:25 when Chris made a mistake and you can hear how low the volume of his live vocals actually is.

• Like 1

A lot of the time chris sings over his own vocals for a few reasons. It helps him stay in tune better and also it helps him project his voice louder. Especially live with all of the drums bleeding into the vocal microphone. All artists do this, a lot even use live vocal tuning live. Thereโ€™s nothing wrong with that. It just polishes things up. As a playback engineer I understand why he lipsyncs sometimes. Thereโ€™s just a lot of factors that come we arenโ€™t aware of!ย 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harrisonrules said:

I think the album is finished just needed some fine tuning and adjustments and possibly working on collaborations

I forsee a Dua Lipa and BTS collab

Wow awesome ? I like the Dua Lipa and BTS collab even though the album is between synth pop and heavy death metal but amazingย 

1 hour ago, Koleybolen said:

A lot of the time chris sings over his own vocals for a few reasons. It helps him stay in tune better and also it helps him project his voice louder. Especially live with all of the drums bleeding into the vocal microphone. All artists do this, a lot even use live vocal tuning live. Thereโ€™s nothing wrong with that. It just polishes things up. As a playback engineer I understand why he lipsyncs sometimes. Thereโ€™s just a lot of factors that come we arenโ€™t aware of!ย 

Can you explain why. Not all singer use vocal playback to support them. Can you tell witch other artist use backing track vocal on main voice?

Matthew Bellamy don't use vocal backing tracking and we hear he struggles to reach note sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koleybolen said:

It's trueย that these days most singers use technology like live pitch correction or autotune. Probably, if you want to be really sure it's live youย have to watch much older performances, e.g. from Queen. More recently, I'd say Amy Winehouse is an example of someone who madeย very little use of this.ย 

I actually watched a video on this the other day to understand how technology can be used to enhanceย performances. I also read the comments and it was quite interesting to see how it was split pretty much 50-50, with half of those commentingย saying they preferred the polished version and the other half saying they preferred the more natural version. So whether we think it's right or wrong is very much down to personal preference.ย Sometimes, it can make it hard to tell what is live and what isn't, and in my opinion it can help weaker performers a lot but at the same time can make it very difficult to know how talented different musicians really are.ย 

And I still think that if a large portionย of a performance is playback then calling it live is misleading, I think music must beย the only industry where we think that type of thing isย acceptable.

ย 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Koleybolen said:

I remember watching a performance of Viva la Vida from around 2008 or 2009... I think the Saitama broadcast from 2009? And there's a little bit at the very end where you can clearly hear two distinct vocal tracks: one that's unquestionably live because Chris sounds like he's trying to catch his breath, and one that sounds flawless.

It's easy to tell that Chris is singing along to his own vocals whenever they playย Midnight. Chris sings along to his own recording so it sounds just like the studio version, which also has doubled vocals andย a slight delay so it sounds like an echo.

23 hours ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

?ย 

ย 

CFD0193A-E0CF-4848-8290-C5AE53B1E906.jpeg

Once again, Chris is trying so hard to keep quiet ?

The other day there was someone on... Reddit, I think? And they were saying the album is set to be released in October. I obviously don't know if they are correct. And even if they are, things could change between now and then. Coldplay albums have been delayed before so who knows?

Also, I'm just gonna leave this here... I want them to release The Race so badly and who knows, this may be its year. Maybe Phil will convince them to do it.

ย 

ย 

Edited by 42Escapist
  • Like 5

On 6/20/2021 at 4:00 AM, 42Escapist said:

I remember watching a performance of Viva la Vida from around 2008 or 2009... I think the Saitama broadcast from 2009? And there's a little bit at the very end where you can clearly hear two distinct vocal tracks: one that's unquestionably live because Chris sounds like he's trying to catch his breath, and one that sounds flawless.

It's easy to tell that Chris is singing along to his own vocals whenever they playย Midnight. Chris sings along to his own recording so it sounds just like the studio version, which also has doubled vocals andย a slight delay so it sounds like an echo.

I know the one performance you mean - I always assumed this was because in the VLV era, Will would always sing the choruses in unison with Chris. Watch the video footage of this, and any other 2008-2009 performance and you'll see Will singing in the choruses. At the final chorus I think I only hear the vocal doubling at the end after the "oh's" finish, but hard to tell if it's Will's voice or Chris's.ย There's a separate question of is Will lip syncing, and the answer is maybe - supposedly he mentions he does in that master class he taught, though there are plenty instances of performances where you can hear Will make mistakes and stuff, which makes it seem like he doesn't lip sync 100% of the time either.

Also I'm fairly certain Today Show's vocal track is not the same as American Idol/BRIT Awards. Chris sings certain things fairly differently the whole time and I'm not convinced any of it is playback.

But I guess the bigger topic of is there lip syncing, obviously the answer is YES, and we just have to grapple with that as fans, recognising that many major artists do it and a few don't. But it's really hard to get away from the use of any backing tracks at all. Red Hot Chili Peppers reportedly did 100% playback (instruments and vocals) during their Super Bowl performance, though the playback is to a live pre-recorded track rather than a studio version. If that tells you anything about who does or doesn't do playback/lip-syncing.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

• Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to ๐Ÿช Coldplay: Music of the Spheres ๐Ÿช | Out Now! | Discussion