✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

8 hours ago, nvdmm said:

EL had their best production since AROBTTH. I'm still fucking bummed they didn't tour that album!

It's always fun to see how music changes with each perspective, for me AROBTTH's production is one of their worst. I love the songs but the overall sound of the studio recording makes me feel strange, unlike Parachutes which is all warm and cozy.

Edited by gustavothehuman
  • Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 6:51 AM, gustavothehuman said:

It's always fun to see how music changes with each perspective, for me AROBTTH's production is one of their worst. I love the songs but the overall sound of the studio recording makes me feel strange, unlike Parachutes which is all warm and cozy.

???

I would argue that Ghost Stories production was utterly perfect for what it was trying to be. Maybe I would've swapped some of the electronic beats for Will's playing but other than that, I don't think it could've been improved.Β 

Β 

As far as the happy pop albums Coldplay have done, the production has not been so great. Mylo Xyloto was abrasive and loud, even in its quieter moments. AHFOD was an over-compressed EQ disaster which makes me wonder how the hell Stargate gets the work they do. So for MOTS is sounding excellent for what its trying to be. Max Martin is undoubtedly the best producer they could've gotten for this pop sound.Β 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I really love the albums with Eno. He is not simply a producer, he is an artist and a genius. Yesterday I have been listening to some of his interviews and it's really eye-opening to hear him discussing art and music.

But to me it seems that he stopped producing big albums some time around 2013.Β Do you know whether it is for this reason that his collaboration with Coldplay ended? Maybe they could still work together on some songs in the future, fingers crossed!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/28/2021 at 4:51 AM, gustavothehuman said:

I agree with this to an extent. I don't particularly like Parachutes or A Rush of Blood to The Head (but there are individual songs I like on both) but I never 'clicked' with the album like I did for Viva La Vida, Prospekt's March and Ghost Stories. That is probably down to personal taste, but I argue that the first two albums sounded a bit generic. Please don't shoot me, but I felt like every song, particularly on AROBTTH, sounded too similar. There are great parts of each song, but nothing was different enough. In other words, I think most songs on AROBTTH could be amalgamated into one long track, like Coloratura. Compare it to Music Of The Spheres, where pretty much every track is distinct. When I showed my mother Overtura for the first time, she said that Coldplay were doing a lot of different things on the album.

I like songs because they appeal to me, not because of principle. I don't think I fit into 'Newplay' or 'Oldplay'. It just comes down to different albums having songs that I like and ones that I don't. I love Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, but hate Up In Flames. I love Don't Panic on The Blue Room, but dislike the album version. It's also why IΒ shouldΒ like Oceans, as an intimate and simple track, but I find the song a bit boring - it's not a good sign when my favourite bit of the track is the intro to A Sky Full Of Stars.

5 hours ago, Nature said:

I think Ghost Stories has the most solid production, it all just sounds right.

Β 

Still my favorite Coldplay album.

I agree, I really love Ghost Stories.Β 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1

I also love Ghost Stories! It's such a beautiful and spiritual journey. I love its sounscapes, the sparse arrangements, the ambient sounds...

22 minutes ago, Doomotron said:

my favourite bit of the track is the intro to A Sky Full Of Stars

Ah!!! Me too, I always had the same feeling.Β ThatΒ sound of waves, of the ocean, is so ethereal and than there is thatΒ kind of symphony of bells, almost at the end. I think that part really represents the soul of the album. Anyway, in an interview Chris said that the song reminded him of the pier in Brighton's pebble peach and the end for him was like waking up on the shore with the feeling of "completely giving in to life".

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Care 1

Again, entirely all subjective though I think occasionally as folks have pointed out some songs just straight up have mixing problems. What's exciting is that Taylor Swift and other artists are laying the groundwork for music re-releases, so basically re-recording songs and albums. So far, I've found the updated Taylor Swift albums to have better production and layers than the originals, and we can probably attribute that to modern technology & more expensive production value.Β 

I do hope Coldplay re-releases some old material, whether demos or revamped songs. X&Y has been talked about for a while and I actually love how that album sounds, but I'd be extremely interested in hearing them re-do it. Also, as Chris has mentioned songs like UFO 2 and UATW could make a comeback and it's my belief that with the Dream Team + folks like Max Martin and Jacob Collier, they could make some of their old songs truly spectacular and take them to the next level.Β 

• Like 5
  • Care 1

On 9/28/2021 at 4:51 PM, gustavothehuman said:

Which could be what they were going for?

AROBTTH is Coldplay's darkest album and if by listening to it made you feel strange then I think they've achieved their goal, making the production pretty good. Heh. ?

Β 

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, gustavothehuman said:

Taylor is re-recording her material to have creative ownership over it though, it's a very specific situation. I would love if Coldplay did so for AROBTTH and X&Y respective anniversaries though.

The band did mention in an interview they would like to re-record X&Y. I would love for that to happen!

• Like 3

Just finished rewatching the Zane Lowe interview (GS era) for the 100th time. My heart stillΒ breaks everyΒ time when I see the look on Chris’ face whenΒ Zane plays O. I really feel like he is fighting back hisΒ tears.Β ToΒ me, thisΒ really shows he’s just a human being like the rest of us.Β 
Β 

(Sorry, IΒ realise this isΒ in no way related to this topic)

Edited by Bauk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

I do hope Coldplay re-releases some old material, whether demos or revamped songs. X&Y has been talked about for a while and I actually love how that album sounds, but I'd be extremely interested in hearing them re-do it. Also, as Chris has mentioned songs like UFO 2 and UATW could make a comeback and it's my belief that with the Dream Team + folks like Max Martin and Jacob Collier, they could make some of their old songs truly spectacular and take them to the next level.Β 

I agree, it would be nice if they went through their old releases and updated them. For example, they could make a 2022 version of Viva La Vida which has Life In Technicolor ii, the Osaka Sun mix of Lovers In Japan, and a few songs from Prospekt's March dropped in. For AROBTTH, I Ran Away could be on it, and maybe they could finally get to releasing A Ghost. A Head Full of Dreams probably needs a complete remix. It also needs The Race. Sorry.

Β 

I'm very surprised nobody ahs got angry at me for saying I don't like Parachutes and AROBTTH.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doomotron said:

I agree, it would be nice if they went through their old releases and updated them. For example, they could make a 2022 version of Viva La Vida which has Life In Technicolor ii, the Osaka Sun mix of Lovers In Japan, and a few songs from Prospekt's March dropped in. For AROBTTH, I Ran Away could be on it, and maybe they could finally get to releasing A Ghost. A Head Full of Dreams probably needs a complete remix. It also needs The Race. Sorry.

I don't think the band would edit the albums like that to be honest. X&Y at best, and it would still be minor things.

Edited by gustavothehuman
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

Again, entirely all subjective though I think occasionally as folks have pointed out some songs just straight up have mixing problems. What's exciting is that Taylor Swift and other artists are laying the groundwork for music re-releases, so basically re-recording songs and albums. So far, I've found the updated Taylor Swift albums to have better production and layers than the originals, and we can probably attribute that to modern technology & more expensive production value.Β 

This makes me think that Coldplay’s struggle withΒ X&Y is partly to do with production toΒ some extent. I can see some ambition and what they’re trying to do with the album, but the production technology of that time Β maybe just couldn’t get them there. Maybe with modern technology and production,Β X&Y can be what they really want it to be. Guy also mentioned in a Twitter Q&A that they would like to make some songs shorter too which makes sense since some songs do drag on in that album. So I would like to see how they would improve this album in the future.Β 

• Like 3

I dont think they will re-do some LP, and I think they shouldnt. Each LP shows a part of his carreer and life. Only maybe a few tracks of XY could need some reproduction or re-doΒ like White Shadows, which I love but it sounds very repetitive.

Β 

But I dont think they would do that. Also, with they excesive pop influence it could be awful...

Β 

What is more probably and fix better is to do a special edition, maybe with some remastering, with a secind CD with B-sides and extra material of this eras. Lot of grooups and artist do that.

Is sad that for Parachutes they didnt do anything special. Only the yellow vinyl.

Edited by ToniMoreno

On 9/27/2021 at 11:51 PM, gustavothehuman said:

Oddly I feel the same. AROBTTH is somehow a bit flat and claustrophobic? I think it's particularly evident on listening to the live version of Amsterdam vs album. On the album there's like 2-3 guitar tracks at the end that add some texture but honestly don't make the song better. Several of the non-singles aren't amazing in this way - esp A Whisper, AROBTTH. GPASUYF feels like it should have a bigger crescendo at the end but it doesn't. I will say the Scientist is pretty perfectly mixed/mastered in my opinion.Β 

Also re X&Y, I totally feel Guy. The worst offender is the Hardest Part, which has that ages long fadeout. When Chris and Will (and full band that one time during AHFOD tour) play it live they always shorten that a ton. They also started shortening Speed of Sound starting in the Viva tour and even more in the MX tour onwards. If you could cut down on the Hardest Part, Speed of Sound, and the end of A Message I bet you could at least get X&Y beneath an hour without cutting songs.Β 

One thing I do love about X&Y's production is the SYNTHS! Which Brian Eno was partially responsible for on Low at least. But I just love all the slightly detuned spacy synths. It EXACTLY captures the mood, doesn't feel like "too many layers" like in MX or AHFOD, yet very much help bring out the pianos and guitars. Square One, SOS, Talk, A Message, Swallowed in the Sea, basically the whole album except for Fix You and TKC are all amazing for this.

• Like 3

• Captain Crieff changed the title to πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion