✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

2 hours ago, Nature said:

So this album gets 2 sequels?

We should have at least Vol. 2

two symbols seem to represent the 2 volumes on the back of HP single: the triangle is vol. 1 and the circles for vol. 2

7 hours ago, Famous Old Painter said:

I’d be amazed if LSG wasn’t a single in that case

I wonder how many singles we will do actually get since another volume will come out later. I guess at least 3, maybe 4... not sure about a 5th single like previous albums. Also, there's a limited number of full songs. My guess is that they will pick LSG and Humankind based on what we know so far

10 minutes ago, lennyrott1 said:

Dang! I was not expecting the song to have a beat like that. Interesting.. I guess it's continuing that trend of doing the 80's style but with very modern production. It sounds like a groovier Everglow.

It sounds like Fun or Princess of China but with better production. Fun just sounds so muddled and because of that doesn't hit the highs that it should, while Princess of China is great live, but the synths in the song just make me want to cut my ears off. As for the actual song being better, we'll have to wait and see...

• Like 1

Kind of sad they already released Coloratura. Imagine all the buzz we would have had listening to MotS for the very first time and this masterpiece coming on. I'm a bit upset with myself that i couldnt resist listening when they dropped it...

Sometimes i felt like they really wanted to show us - " Hey, we're not only into pop music". And they're fckin right?

• Like 5

Quick question: am I wrong to assume that - given the fact that My Universe has not even passed the 50M streams on Spotify - this song is, just like Higher Power, not really well received by mainstream audiences, given the number of monthly listeners that Coldplay typically have on for example Spotify? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Another quick question: it is becoming clear that - with this new Album and for example its collaborations - Coldplay produces music with the intention of appealing to a ‘new’ generation of fans. Knowing that, it is much easier to ‘accept’ songs such as My Universe, or a collaboration with someone like Selina Gomez.

It does leave me wondering though: why do they choose to incorporate so few elements that most people would argue are typical ‘Coldplay’ in their new songs, but then release a single song - Coloratura - which is like fully covered with Coldplay elements? 

My Universe could have been better received by large audiences if they had added a little more of that style which people ‘expect’ from Coldplay.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, JustSomeone said:

Quick question: am I wrong to assume that - given the fact that My Universe has not even passed the 50M streams on Spotify - this song is, just like Higher Power, not really well received by mainstream audiences, given the number of monthly listeners that Coldplay typically have on for example Spotify? 

Good point. Also Spotify had just never updated their spotify numbers until right now. They jumped from 35 mil to 56 mil streams after I think 3 days.

2 hours ago, JustSomeone said:

this AGED

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1

4 hours ago, Westminster said:

Kind of sad they already released Coloratura. Imagine all the buzz we would have had listening to MotS for the very first time and this masterpiece coming on. I'm a bit upset with myself that i couldnt resist listening when they dropped it...

Sometimes i felt like they really wanted to show us - " Hey, we're not only into pop music". And they're fckin right?

The thing is, if they didn't release Coloratura the entire Internet's Anti-Coldplay agenda would be in full swing.

"They haven't made anything good since Viva!"

"BTS and Selena? No thanks!"

"I want to see classic Coldplay, not stupid pop dance Coldplay"

"Max Martin only does stupid pop songs!"

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

The thing is, if they didn't release Coloratura the entire Internet's Anti-Coldplay agenda would be in full swing.

"They haven't made anything good since Viva!"

"BTS and Selena? No thanks!"

"I want to see classic Coldplay, not stupid pop dance Coldplay"

"Max Martin only does stupid pop songs!"

this + we still have people of the pride to surprise casual listeners

speaking of max martin, coldplay was probably one of his most challenging collabs, i assume he had a lot of fun

• Like 4

I'm still kinda pressed over My Universe not going #1 in the UK but they made history in the US lol. Anyway, the song debuted at #9 on Japan with only two/three days of counting, if they manage to go #1 there it would be remarkable as well since it's really hard for a foreign act.

Coldplay is arguably the last band stading in the mainstream music industry and are still able to put out top notch material like Coloratura after 23 years of career... This is just... insane. Do you guys ever thought about how we stan literal legends?

Edited by gustavothehuman
  • Like 5

Based on what I have heard so far (full songs and clips) I think that this album is going to be surprisingly good, Production and mixing seems constantly great and varied. And it seems like they have done album, where each song is going to distinctively stand out on its own. That's a great thing, this concept is strong, probably stronger than Mylo, but it's not quite achieving Mylo level overall. It's certainly better than AHFOD, but Mylo, Viva, A Rush of Blood, Parachutes and Everyday Life have more this raw songwriting quality. I kind of feel like MoTS is certainly lacking a bit this pure songwriting x-factor and it seems to be opinion what most of Coldplayers agree. Production is going to foreshadow the songwriting overall for sure. Of course there are occasional great gems in this one too, not saying it's all terrible.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, CP-EST said:

Based on what I have heard so far (full songs and clips) I think that this album is going to be surprisingly good, Production and mixing seems constantly great and varied. And it seems like they have done album, where each song is going to distinctively stand out on its own. That's a great thing, this concept is strong, probably stronger than Mylo, but it's not quite achieving Mylo level overall. It's certainly better than AHFOD, but Mylo, Viva, A Rush of Blood, Parachutes and Everyday Life have more this raw songwriting quality. I kind of feel like MoTS is certainly lacking a bit this pure songwriting x-factor and it seems to be opinion what most of Coldplayers agree. Production is going to foreshadow the songwriting overall for sure. Of course there are occasional great gems in this one too, not saying it's all terrible.

I see where you're coming from.

To begin with, you're comparing it to MX which has to be both the most underrated album amongst the fans in general and on this site, specifically. 

My Universe has pretty generic and overall poor lyrics. Some of the bass and guitar is good but we know what they're going for. It's not something I hate like Magic or Hymn for the Weekend though, it's mostly inoffensive.

Higher Power has its moments and is a pretty good song, actually. Shame about what they did to Jonny's guitar but they like doing that.

Coloratura is ome of the best songs I've ever heard but I've already shared my thoughts on that.

(Human) Heart is great, although initially I wasn't a huge fan of the sparse instrumentation. Love the vocal combination and the lyrics are so humanistic.

People of the Pride reminds me a lot of Muse and I love how they included lyrics from The Man Who Swears. It's way more rock sounding than anything I expected to hear on this album. This based on the live version, of course.

And overall, I like what little we've heard from Let Somebody Go.

I expected a sea change from the high of Everday Life to something maybe as low as Ghost Stories. Especially since they saw the album and singles weren't nearly as popular as most others in the past- I figured they would overcorrect. But I like what I've heard so far.

I don't know if theyre capable of making an album as good as Viva la Vida ever again, if only because of how mich Chris has leaned into modern pop music and has (seemingly) convinced the others to come along for the ride.

Guessing I'll like it less than VlVoDaAHF, ARoBttH, Parachutes, MX and EL, more than GS and AHFOD and probably right around X&Y. Keep in mind, anyone who has heard what is out there has heard most of the album, already. But maybe there will be a bonus track or two. :thinking:

• Like 3

Well, I dont agrre with the general possitive point of view I´ve read here from the new album. I think that as fans we should be more ¿fussy/exigent? with the band.

There is a road from Viva la Vida/MX to pop music that I think is not good for Coldplay. Sometimes I have the feeling that they go to easy, to some very simple formulas that they (and the record company) know it works. And, Why? EL show us that they can make some "not mainstream music" and still get the nº1 in charts. Songs like Arabesque or Coloratura in this new album has had very good reception. They did it earlier with GS and sons like Midnight.

So, why they insist (and I think is specially Chris) to make songs like My Universe or High Power that musically dont contribute anything, is electropop music, very empty. Just listen the instrumental versions of this songs... Is only to get nº1 in charts? They dont need that, they can shell lot of albums and singles without this pop formula.

And its awful to see that the Coldplay discography is filling up with that type of songs like SJLT, Orphans, My Universe, Hym for the Weekend... that are very far from what more of us "understand" what is a "coldplay song".

Sorry for my poor english, in spanish I could explaning best.

The point is that I dont like this pop sound that Coldplay have since many years. I dont know if Im the only one here thinking that...

The could do that with the Los Unidades name instead of Coldplay, and let Coldplay for their less mainstrain songs or not pop.

Edited by ToniMoreno
  • Thanks 1

• Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion