✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

10 minutes ago, alexix7 said:

I guess Chris really meant it when he said that they would be full of surprises from then, what a great song Coloratura is.Β 

Yeah, and releasing a single from actual space was just one of the casual things they do. (...jk, you're right)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DΓ©jΓ  Vu said:

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I've been following this thread since last year but I never created my account until now though. Coloratura is a total masterpiece, the bestΒ song Coldplay have ever written since AROBTTH.Β 

I wanted to say also that maybe Rescue St is under the name of Human Heart, I remember an interview where the bandΒ saidΒ that this song was only focused on vocals, probably the music remains the same but lyrics are different or they had to change the title due to the new album concept (planets, space and universe). And this is not the only example out there. Just listen to Humankind intro we've already listened so far in the album trailer, it sounds the exact way on Life is Beautiful, but the name is totally different and maybe that's what happens all the time with the song titles and song structures of unreleased music from the band. Remember also that Car kids guitar riff was later released as Vodoo under Los Unidades, and elements from The Blue Room were incorporated into Square One. The same happened with December, which turned into Violet Hill and so on. Maybe The Race will come out with a different title and is already included into MOTS. Who knows?

Imo, Coloratura sounds that was composed originally in the X&Y era, but in that time was not fully completed and sounded "passionless" as Chris mentioned once in an interview when the band was composing a lot of songs that were about to be included in the album, but they were ditched then. Remember that 42 songs were ditched from X&Y. Maybe the new album contains songs from that era.

Interesting theory! My guess is that Coloratura was written at the same time as SJLT, Champion of the World, and Flags based on lyrics, and Hypnotised (esp the guitar solo and piano parts) and AICTAIY (for the chord changes) and ALIENS based on music, noting that Coloratura has a brief 5/4 section that sounds vaguely like the end of ALIENS. So my personal guess is 2017, but you could also totally make an argument that it’s from X&Y based on the space themes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DΓ©jΓ  Vu said:

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I've been following this thread since last year but I never created my account until now though. Coloratura is a total masterpiece, the bestΒ song Coldplay have ever written since AROBTTH.Β 

I wanted to say also that maybe Rescue St is under the name of Human Heart, I remember an interview where the bandΒ saidΒ that this song was only focused on vocals, probably the music remains the same but lyrics are different or they had to change the title due to the new album concept (planets, space and universe). And this is not the only example out there. Just listen to Humankind intro we've already listened so far in the album trailer, it sounds the exact way on Life is Beautiful, but the name is totally different and maybe that's what happens all the time with the song titles and song structures of unreleased music from the band. Remember also that Car kids guitar riff was later released as Vodoo under Los Unidades, and elements from The Blue Room were incorporated into Square One. The same happened with December, which turned into Violet Hill and so on. Maybe The Race will come out with a different title and is already included into MOTS. Who knows?

Imo, Coloratura sounds that was composed originally in the X&Y era, but in that time was not fully completed and sounded "passionless" as Chris mentioned once in an interview when the band was composing a lot of songs that were about to be included in the album, but they were ditched then. Remember that 42 songs were ditched from X&Y. Maybe the new album contains songs from that era.

Human Heart is what we've already heard. It duesnt have anything to do with Rescue St.Β 

Where did you hear about the Car Kids riff being in Voodoo? As Voodoo was already an MX-era song that existed at the same time as Car Kids.Β 

7 minutes ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

Interesting theory! My guess is that Coloratura was written at the same time as SJLT, Champion of the World, and Flags based on lyrics, and Hypnotised (esp the guitar solo and piano parts) and AICTAIY (for the chord changes) and ALIENS based on music, noting that Coloratura has a brief 5/4 section that sounds vaguely like the end of ALIENS. So my personal guess is 2017, but you could also totally make an argument that it’s from X&Y based on the space themes!

ALIENS existed in 2009/2010

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

I like HP more than Coloratura. And Coloratura isn’t my favorite and probably won’t be on this album. Sorry I don’t feel the same way about Coloratura than like 99% of you all.Β 

What do you mean it won't be on the album? Its already been announced.Β 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

[sorry to be double reposting here because i can't tell if the Coloratura thread or this thread is where all the action is at lol]

What a brilliant song in every possible way! My only complaint is Jonny's solo is a bit short. But my first few thoughts:

-TheΒ refugee-centric narrative becomes more clear here. MOTSvol1 sounds like a journey for an alien to somewhere that welcomes them.Β 

-The lyrics have an interesting common thread withΒ SJLT and Flags, in which there's a lot of naming-of-historical-figures (if you count superheroes as historical figures). It's not my instant favourite way of being as compared to early Coldplay's vague angst, VLV era vague 1800s angst, or Up&Up which is full of fun imagery/literary references. But it works and it's cool.Β 

Various stylistic thoughts:

-What an interesting evolution ofΒ Moving to Mars, Gravity, DaddyΒ in particular. The harps and strings are a great touch. I hope they can recreate all of that live!! Common to MTM and Coloratura and also HP is how much heavy lifting Will does vocally. He sounds GREAT.Β 

-A lot of Lydian mode is used in Coloratura, ie if you have a piano in front of you, play an F-to-F scale only on the white keys (as opposed to having a B-flat). You know what else is in Lydian mode?Β the theme to Back to the FutureΒ (and also the Simpsons lol).Β 

-Jonny tweeted on the CP Q+A that he was experimenting with aΒ Meris Enzo synthesizer pedal.Β You can really hear it in the 1st chorus and a few other spots where the guitar is super um, synth-like. Eg the tremolo effect with shifting filter. And later he plays a melody that sounds like a synth but pretty sure it's generated from the guitar. SUPER COOL.

-The bassline is so cool! Phil tweeted and referred to it as "waterfall". It reminds me a lot of Explorers by Muse:

Β 

-The piano is obviously very good. A lot of chromaticism and interesting chord changes very reminiscent of Bohemian Rhapsdody and also United States of Eurasia by Muse:

Β 

Well-said. I'd like to add that ALIENS has a refugee-centric narrative too. And the name for Moving to Mars came from a Mat Whitecross documentary about Burmese refugees.

Anyways, I'm glad someone else got Muse vibes. It reminds me of the grandiosity of some of Matt Bellamy's piano playing, with lots of classical influences. As I listen to Coloratura more and more, I hear lots of similarities to United States of Eurasia, including its outro which comes from a classical piano piece by Chopin.

• Like 3

Do you guys think that Vol.2 will be also produced by Max Martin as well? Because I assumed, thatΒ some older songs (MX Era) would make it to this album and it seems they won't be. Mainly the onesΒ produced with Brian Eno, so I'm not sure if that's the reason why they are not on this one, as Max Martin probably won't be "reusing" them, if that makes sense. I don't know much about any of the legal stuff, but that was just a random thought since there are a lot of MX songs that have been teased and so far it seems none of them will be on Vol.1...

Edited by X AND Y
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, X AND Y said:

Do you guys think that Vol.2 will be also produced by Max Martin as well? Because I assumed, thatΒ some older songs (MX Era) would make it to this album and it seems they won't be. Mainly the onesΒ produced with Brian Eno, so I'm not sure if that's the reason why they are not on this one, as Max Martin probably won't be "reusing" them, if that makes sense. I don't know much about any of the legal stuff, but that was just a random thought since there are a lot of MX songs that have been teased and so far it seems none of them will be on Vol.1...

I really hope Brian Eno will produce vol. 2, but I guess they will keep Max Martin on the same project

and I think they generally start from new songs, the only exception was for EL

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, johnnymax8652 said:

I really hope Brian Eno will produce vol. 2, but I guess they will keep Max Martin on the same project

and I think they generally start from new songs, the only exception was for EL

That would be so awesome, although after Coloratura I don't have a problem with him producing the other songs,Β if they'reΒ anything like this masterpiece..Β 

On ALIENS, Brian Eno was credited.Β So I'm pretty sure if they were to release other songs from the MX Era that it would be the same, anywaysΒ can't wait to see where this project will go ?

• Like 5

I think Max Martin is best for Coldplay right now. There's a reason why he's so successful and a lot of people don't actually realise exactly why. He might seem like a pop producer and pop songwriter, but he's so much more. He actually started in rock music and his versatility is actually limitless, in studio he is allround great, because he is actually good at engineering and mixing too, but he doesn't do that much himself anymore.Β I think it's a great opportunity for him as well to work with a band and prove through Coldplay that he's very versatile. And it's very important they have someone who's got hunger to produce.

Brian Eno on the other hand is a bit different producer, he has produced a LOT for different bands already. I wouldn't exlcude him working again with Coldplay, but right it's probably not in their minds. Brian Eno has produced for U2 on several occasions and he has always capability to bring something new, so who knows what future brings.

• Like 5

To be honest, I think it's too early to judge how well this collaboration with Max Martin worked out. Personally, I believe he's great at what he does, there's a reason for his immense success. That alone doesn't make him and Coldplay a dream team in my eyes though. On Coloratura it worked out very well, on HP less so (probably it's more his involvement as songwriter than producer that I'm not a fan of).

I'd be surprised if they worked with Brian Eno again, or any of their other producers. If they want to keep evolving working with different people would make sense, in terms of their producers as well as their art directors etc. Β 

• Like 3

We all speculating about vol. 2 but we shouldn't trust them about second parts of projects. Many of them are not became real. How We Saw The World Part 2, Mylo Xyloto 2 (This was so popular rumour in that time), Mylo Xyloto Comics Vol. 2 (Comics has Vol. 1 writing in them). So it can named something different or some elements can be used in another project, naming something Vol. 1 and then releasing Vol. 2 is not Coldplay's style sadly. But i hope i'm wrong in this one.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

• Captain Crieff changed the title to πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion