✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

4 hours ago, The_Blue_Room said:

Wow, so that's why I can't find a proper version! Unbelievable that they'd screw something like that up. Maybe once someone shares a CD rip I can download that instead.

I contacted Coldplay HQ, they answered that they have reported the issue.

• Like 1

Havent been here in 6 years.Β 

Just finished my first listen. I love it. It will never top my favoruite albums but Coloratura and People of The Pride can be compared with my top songs. Somehow the album gives me that Coldplay feeling I had looong time ago. I really liked Everyday Life, but as some of you said since the hype I havent actually listened to it. This one feels different.Β 

• Like 4
  • Care 2

2 hours ago, alexix7 said:

I think MOTS is on par with AHFOD. It has definitely better production, but on the other side, MOTS feels just like a collection of songs that band recorded over time and decided to put together on one album. Album is not cohesive, most songs feels out of place. Chris vocals are fantastic ( i will not commentΒ Biutyful, really hate this type of vocals/music), but what bothers me is that the other members of band are really left behind on MOTS. Apart from Coloratura/ Humankind / POTP Jonny's contribution is almost non-existent. Guy's bass is very casual throughout album. But the biggest problem for me isΒ Will's drumming. Even on Coloratura, he is playing so safe that i started wondering what has happened to him. On many songs he is using electric drums, which i really hate - OneRepublic started to use electric drums almost on every song and look where are they now, almost nobody cares about 1R in 2021. I must say i am really disappointed. No doubt World Tour will be great and one could say that album was made just for it. Song like Humankind and POTP will rock hard on crowded stadiums and it will be great spectacle to watch. I still have hopes for their next album, but they will need different producer and spend more time locked in studios together.

I'm very surprised by people saying MOTS doesnt feel cohesive. The common thread to me is that space sound- soΒ many of the songs have prominent synths in them and there'sΒ this veryΒ humanist message on many tracks like Human Heart, Humankind and Coloratura about (you guessed it) the nature of humanity and acceptance of the self and others. Even People of the Pride has that, though I will admit that song seems out of place musically with how guitar-centric it is.

Ghost Stories has Midnight which sounds so different from everything else in its soundscapes, I was so hyped when I heard that as the first single and then disappointed with almost every other song on it.Β ASFoSΒ is this super upbeat EDM track that is just a completely separate outlook and vibe. I know it's only on there because Chris insisted it be.Β 

AHFoD too!Β I complained about how jarring the difference between Birds and HftW was one right after the other and felt dismissed with "Well they do that on purpose, silly boy." Those two songs shouldn't even EXIST by the same band, not least on the same album. But they'reΒ right next to each other. It wasn't a problem then, why is it now?

MX did the same thing with PoC and UFO. That whole album was part acoustic, part alt rock, part pop. Like three completely different things in one. Loved the acoustic and alt rock partsΒ and not more pop sounding ones.Β Β 

People can believe whatever they want but it doesn't make sense to me. I think it's cohesive but if it's not, this isn't exactly new. :thinking:

Β 

Β 

Let Somebody Go, My Universe, Infinity Sign and Biytiful allΒ use a drum machineΒ I believe, though I'mΒ not a percussion expert. Drums vs drum machines sound different. That's almost half the album. Not ideal. That said

I think every single song on GS used one, I can't think of any song on that album that had what sounded like actual drums. I do love the percussion on AiMH but I'm not convinced it's a drum set.

Pretty sure AHFoD, AoAL andΒ Birds were drums but again, don't think anything else was. Can't tell with Amazing Day because Stargate ruined that song. I think the live version is drums and the studio version is a drum machine.Β Up&Up I'm blanking on.Β 

My point in this regard is not that it's good, just that it's not something new as it sounds like you're suggesting. Coldplay would have to fall into a volcano and be spit out into pieces to sound like new OneRepublic. Sidenote- Will's drumming is one of the main reasons I like MX as much as I do, despite the prevalent opinion about that album. I think it is both Will's and Jonny's best album, musically speaking. Will and Jonny on Hurts Like Heaven is awesomeness.Β 

Edited by HowCouldIForget
  • Like 1

The main thing is that people associate Coldplay's interested in pop as a way to earn more money and be more successful. You know how Chris like Bob Marley songs, and that his ultimate goal is to make that kind of simple songs that are as direct and last for ages. Of course, sometimes the songs only turn out a little bit more simple they should be or whatever but that is the way it is. If you listen really without prejudices, you feel he feels inspired in every one on these songs, even on MU, where on the chorus part you can really feel it, he is inspired to sing it. The rest of it is for us to decide, after few more listens, what did they eventually make, but they are still very inspired and not worn out as some crictics suggest making false storylines in their heads as they swap coldplay ambiotion to make timeless simple tunes with ambition to make more money.Β Β 

Just finished my first listen and I HATE that Apple Music screwed up the song transitions - especially because the interlude tracks clearly flow into the next song on the tracklist. That aside, I really like this; it comes across as the band reconnecting with their pop instincts but it's a boldly experimental record even within those confines. Absolutely adore Coloratura and I'm glad I waited to hear it in context.

Humankind is going to be MASSIVE live, I feel like it could have worked as a single but I get why we only got two proper ones. Excited to listen again later!

• Like 1

A lot has already been said, so I’ll just give some quick thoughts :

• I’m baffled by some of the reviews on this album.Β Only 5 reviews in on Metacritic, but FIFTY ONE? Less than the horrendous mess that was AHFOD? It’s not the quality of Everyday Life by any means, but at least it has a top notch production on almost all tracks and is IMO way more interesting than AHFOD. I also like the singles more.
  • I read a lot of thoughts on the album length, which is interesting given it’s not shorter than Parachutes or Ghost Stories and barely shorter than Viva. But I understand the record may suffer from the Coloratura effect (both its length and the fact it’s been released two months ago). It could have benefited from one more full song and scrapping the useless transitions that are Alien Choir and MOTS 2.
  • I still need time to assess Humankind. I like Chris on the chorus.Β Looks like it might become a fan favorite from the latest records.
  • Let Somebody Go is fine as the corny ballad we're used to on their recent records. Everglow/Fun with good production, though I prefer Fun overall (liked Tove Lo here). One think I like on this track is the Now My Feet Won’t Touch the Ground vibes on Chris vocals!
  • People of the Pride is a letdown, given the hype after the live performances. Frustrating, but I still like the vibe overall (thanks to The Man Who Swears).
  • I really like the dynamics between Angelina and Chris on Biutyful. Works better than the voiceover thing on Cry Cry Cry, looks like a proper duet with a fun bass (and again that very clean production). A nice surprise.
  • Infinity Sign!!!Β Now that’s an instrumental.

In brief that’s a fine album. Something like a 6.5/10. It’s not Everyday Life, but I did not expect more. Coloratura is one the best Coldplay songs in their discography and that record should translate well during the World Tour.

On to the Vol 2!

S - Viva

A - Parachutes, AROBTTH

B - EL, X&Y

C - GS, MX, MOTS

Z - AHFOD

Edited by VCF
  • Like 1

Couple of thoughts after a day of listening to the album:

The songs I have on repeat are Humankind, POTP, Biutyful and Infinity Sign.Β 

Just out of curiosity, I gave Life Is Beautiful another listen, and it sounds exactly like Humankind. I also can't help but notice the elements of the song in Infinity Sign, it actually sounds like the instrumental is building up to LIB / Humankind, try to follow them in a playlist and it's like the perfect match. Why is it not a hidden track to it at least? Arghhh it bugs me so much...

Β 

Here's a quick, rough pitch-corrected edit of Biutyful with the chipmunk voice mitigated as much as I was able to.

Hopefully that gives a slight bit of peace of mind to those who hate the chipmunk voice lol. Personally I don't mind it at all, and it's one of my favorite songs off the album!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My take on the entire album:

I have listened to the album three times now from start to finish, and some songs on their own a lot more. I have listened to the songs as soon as they have come out / been played live, so my hype for the album wasn’t the biggest. I feel like Everyday Life was very well made overall, and it was to be expected that Coldplay would go into a more heavily produced and pop-oriented direction with this record. I think the artwork of the album has been pretty fitting to the sound of this album and looks great. I think that using emojis as some of the song names was a little weird, but I guess it’s a good reflection of the current time and world, and it is a pretty bold move by the band which I can respect. But I do hope it will not become a habit.

Below (in the spoiler part) are my feelings of every song one by one since it got kinda extensive, and a summary is in the end.

Spoiler

Music Of The Spheres - 7/10

A neat introduction to the overall vibe of this album. I don’t know if it’s just Spotify since I don’t have the physical copy yet, but the way this transitions to Higher Power, there is something a little off. This cuts out weirdly, and is not as smooth as it could be. I can already imagine in a live context this will be the moment of mass happiness and excitement, and this seems perfect for waiting the band to take the stage.

Β 

Higher Power - 8.5/10

It’s been quite a while since this came out. It didn’t click with me that much in the beginning from the teasers and when it comes to the first half of the song. But when I heard the full song, I was mesmerized by the bridge/outro. I’ve grown to like this track a lot more with time, and now especially hearing where it stands in the entire album. This is quite fitting for an album opener, and an even better live show opener. And speaking of that, the live version elevates this to a new height. I really like Will’s backing vocals and drumming here, butΒ I always felt like they were kind of low in the studio mix, especially the ride cymbal.

Β 

Humankind - 7/10

If I had to pick a song from the album that has the most Coldplay-like vibe and sound overall, it would probably be this one. Something about the song reminds me of Thirty Seconds to Mars too. A steady song that is fun to listen to. Not a huge fan of the alien voices/sounds in the intro. Chris’ vocal performance is amazing here, especially his falsettos. The way this song transitions to Alien Choir is so smooth and nice. A stellar song, and it keeps up the upbeat sound that Higher Power initiated.

Β 

Alien Choir - 9/10

Massive Fix You vibes from this short piece of music. This goes to show that a short, instrumental transition song can be great too. It serves a purpose on the album, transitions smoothly from Humankind to Let Somebody Go and sounds beautiful on top. I like it a lot!

Β 

Let Somebody Go - 7.5/10

Okay another time I have to mention Will’s backing vocals. They fit in so well and sound gorgeous. Chris’ and Selena’s voices go well together, and I like the sad and longing atmosphere this song creates. I do feel like this resembles Fun (from A Head Full of Dreams) a lot though. Makes me think if we will hear this song live. Guy’s bass playing is top notch here.

Β 

Human Heart - 10/10

An absolute gem. A masterpiece. Gives me goosebumps every time. The kind of song where you just want to stop, close your eyes and take it all in. I am kinda speechless after this song every time I hear it. I was very amazed by this right away when they performed it in the Glastonbury stream. It’s crazy that with so little stuff in the song, they were able to make it sound so huge. At the moment, this stands out from the album the most for me, and this is probably my favourite song from the album at the moment.

Β 

People of The Pride - 9/10 [10/10 for the live version]

Okay first off, I’m so happy we got some heavier, more rocking Coldplay on this album. Can we take a moment to appreciate Will’s drumming, and Jonny’s guitar tone and playing in this tone? They really shine on this one. You just can’t stay still listening to this song. Also this song gives me some serious Muse vibes, and I absolutely love the music of Muse as well. I already had listened to the live versions before the album came out, and I loved this song immediately. Having said that though, I think the live version is a lot better. The mixing on the album version just takes away some of the rawness and energy of this song that live version has in my opinion. For example, Will’s drumming (especially toms and cymbals) just doesn’t have the same cut and power as the live version. Don’t get me wrong: Will’s drumming is absolutely top notch here, it’s just that I feel like the mix in the studio version is not as well made. I also prefer the clearer vocals of the intro in the live version over the faded vocals in the studio version’s intro. Chris’ vocals also seem to have a lot more power and cut in the live version. All in all, this song is amazing and the live version is even better. I really hope this song becomes be a live stable.

Β 

Biutyful - 2/10

I could see this one being the most β€œcontroversial” or β€œdivisive” song in the album. My least favourite of this album. There are still elements that I like in this song, the instrumental seems alright. The lyrics are kind of cheesy and repetitive, and I don’t enjoy the vocals with heavy effects at all. I feel like this song doesn’t really have a climax or any specific part that stands out. I feel like there are so many other songs in this album that are a lot more unique and experimental while still maintaining a more clear connection to Coldplay’s overall sound and style. This song seems to miss something and seems a little out of place.

Β 

Music Of The Spheres 2 - 2/10

Like MOTS 1, the transition here to My Universe was not as smooth as it could have been. It cuts out weirdly. This could be an issue on the Spotify’s end, but most of the other transitions are flawless. Even if the transitions were smooth, this doesn’t really have much to it. ThisΒ could have as well been the outro for Biutyful.

Β 

My Universe - 5.5/10

This song turned out a lot better than I had anticipated. I think they incorporated BTS pretty well into the song. Their vocals brought in someΒ variety and depth to this song. Even though I don’t understand/remember what the Korean lyrics say, they seem to fit in. I am still unsure how I feel about the ending of the song. I am not the biggest fan of the lyrics in the chorus. In terms of the collaboration, Coldplay andΒ BTS are well balanced. The live versions of this seem pretty promising and energetic so far too.Β 

Β 

Infinity Sign - 9.5/10

This took me by surprise. I was not ready for this one. This is one of my favourites on the entire album. I want to hear more β€œinstrumental” Coldplay tracks from now on. The song builds up steadily into this massive and beautiful sound. The background vocals/choir towards the end of the song are gorgeous. I’ve had this song on repeat the most probably. I really wish they perform this live. A nice upbeat moment before the final track.

Β 

Coloratura - 10/10

I think the best way to describe this song is by using the word β€œart”. This is probably one of the all time most creative and unique Coldplay songs recorded. This song shows that they still have massive amounts of creativity. The live versions seem even better. Will’s backing vocals are absolutely stunning, and his drumming is way more complex than I would have expected. I really enjoy Jonny’s use of guitar effects and Guy’s bass tone as well. The guitar solo, which really reminds me of Moving to Mars, is awesome. The buildup to the climax and sing-along is very well done. An all around amazing song. Like Infinity Sign, I really wish to hear this one live. As an album closer, I think this is really fitting and up there (with O and Death and All His Friends, which are my other favourite album closers). I would say this a perfect mixture of modern and experimental Coldplay.

Summary and final thoughts:

I was pleasantly surprised by this album, but I still have mixed feelings. This album has very high highs, but some lower lows.Β I liked Everyday Life a lot, but I would say about a half of the songs just didn’t really speak to me, whereas half on EL were some of the best songs Coldplay has ever made. I think Music Of The Spheres is more polished when it comes to the flow of the album and the songs fitting together overall. I think this record gives every member moments to shine. I am very happy about Will’s contribution: I feel like his backing vocals are very well utilized, and his drumming has developed a huge amount. Chris' vocals were really stellar, but some of the lyrics seemed kinda cheesy. Guy and Jonny were very well mixed in the tracks, and their contributions are apparent and impressive as usual.Β If I had to pick favourites from this albumΒ they would be Human Heart, Coloratura, People of The Pride, and Infinity Sign. These songs show Coldplay can make so much more than just "catchy pop songs", and they really shine at experimenting.Β I am proud of them and they did a great job on this album overall.

I hope Coldplay keeps experimenting, and that they would not stay too deeply focused on the pop direction they have been on with MX/AHFOD/MOTS. I definitelyΒ prefer MOTS overΒ AHFOD and MX.Β I understand that not every album can be as raw and toned down as Ghost Stories and Everyday Life, but I hope they go back to that type of approach on some of the upcoming albums.Β Can’t wait to see what the tour brings to us, many of the songs in this record seem like a great fit to live stages!

Edited by Krizer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JackColdplay said:

My final comment, I can’t even be bothered to remember the β€œgospel” song onΒ the last album, or the β€œgospely” song onΒ the latest album, featuring 2 other artists. Totally forgettable and skippable. If I wanted to listen to gospel music, I’d listen to the crΓ¨me de la crΓ¨me gospel music, the masterpieces of that genre, not Chris’ wacky idea that results in a far below average song slotted intoΒ a disjointed bizarre album. Surely Jonny, Guy and Will just say, β€œeff it, ok Chris, we’re loaded anyway”? Phil’s just there for the ride.Β 

Couldn't disagree any more. "When I Need A Friend" and "Human Heart" are amongst the most beautiful Coldplay songs. Also "Human Heart" is Will's favorite song on the album.

Edited by United
  • Like 1

I don't know what everyone who was giving their review after the leak was drinking. This album is pretty good, dare I say good enough to be on par with Ghost Stories and maybe right under MX. Y'all are acting like we were expecting a follow up to Parachutes or AROBTH.Β 

• Like 4

Huge Coldplay fan adding my thoughts. Like most people I think the early stuff is best (VLV is my favourite)Β but I also really enjoy their recent output.Β 

Only a few listens in so this could change but:

Listening to this album made me wince, and cringe. I didn't listen to Overtura or any of the unreleased/live only songs, so was looking forward to hearing the new sounds, especially POTP, with all the praise it was getting.

I was disappointed to find POTP really cringe worthy, its sounds like they tried to make a big snarling andΒ mean rock song, but it sounds like an uninteresting Muse b-side, the 'big' riff makes no impressionΒ whatsoever, and whilstΒ its nice the lyrics are from the man who swears, they seem totally random in the supposed concept of the album.

I know Chris isn't the best lyricist, and that's fine, but I feel overall the lyrics on this album are really weak, using the same old repetition tricks etc.. the lyrics are so bland and don't tell any storiesΒ or concept.

The transition tracks left me scratching my head - they've done these in the past and I've enjoyed them but on this album they seem utterly pointless, Alien Choir and MOTS2 for instance.Β 

Apart from Coloratura, I enjoyed Biutyful a lot, probably because you can actually hear some instrumentation/melody with the guitar.Β Apart from that the songs sound so manufactured and are really missing an element that all Coldplay albums have had for me, that soul, authenticity and bit of magic and emotion. Even AHFOD which I think is their weakest has this.

Obviously its unlikely you will love an album from first listen, but this was the hardest first listen I've had with this band. I will try and let it grow on me, but i'm fairly confident this will rank as their weakest effort unfortunately.Β 

I'm all for them being experimental, trying different styles and doing a really poppy album, but I just think most of the songs don't have much substance, regardless of style/genre.

A disappointing step after EL for sure. Someone else said it on r/Coldplay but I agreeΒ they need to focus on being 'better' not 'bigger'.

Β 

Edited by FJK_12
  • Like 4

This is going to be a bit of a longer post, because a lot of the posts here have been quite thoughtful -- and slightly more naunced than what I've read over at Coldplay reddit.

I do think to some extent the album's release has suffered from what I call "MX-itis." I remember when that album came out that people were kind of throwing their hands up and saying "well, that's it?" Coldplay typically pulls two types of releases off: very short schedule (Everyday Life) or the long grind (MOTS/MX). This was the latter, and so we heard five of the main songs before it came out -- and if you count Colortura as two songs worth than most of the album.

On the merits, I think this is a strong cohesive effort. Max Martin does a great job on production and it is a lot less washed than say AHFOD. I like the Everyday Life style a lot myself, but I knew walking in that this was a pop album, and I think on that front it really excels.

It'll take me a few listens to really figure out what I like the best -- but I am gravitating strongly towards Infinity Sign, Humankind, Human Heart and shockingly to me, Biutyful. Maybe it's something about the chorus which is incredible catchy (love me, love me, love meee) - it's really heartfelt and something that definitely hit me in the heartstrings. It's really simple too. I liked Cry Cry Cry a lot so, maybe this is just built for people like me.

In terms of songs I felt the "least"? I'd have to definitely say the transitions that are fine, but whatever. Let Some Body Go is a bit of a grower - I have friends who have instantly connected with it - and those like myself who are trying to find it. I think it's in line with Everglow and Fun though off of recent albums.

Let me say a word about Infinity Sign. As a big Don Quixote fan, you can trace its origins back to that tour (especially with the Ole, Ole, part). I like the fact that they stripped the lyrics and that it's a full song. It feels like the sister moon to one of my favorite Coldplay songs of all time - Life in Technicolor. I can't say much more than it hit me in a special spot during a morning run when first unveiling the album today. I can totally see them moving from the B-side to the main stage for an encore during the track. What a gift. And I think like LiT will benefit from not putting lyrics (which haven't been Chris's strong suit in every thing) into it - the ending is haunting.

To give Chris some credit, I do think that there is a lot of creativity on this album. Whether it's the Korean parts in My Universe or the way Infinity Sign is set up, or the lyrics to People of the Pride. Can we also say these songs have the best Coldplay outros of any album (Higher Power, POTP, Infinity Sign, Coloratura)?

I get why fans get frustrated when Coldplay does a lot of the music unveiling pre-launch (MX-itis). But to me this album is a slam dunk better pop piece than AHFOD. The latter just didn't take the dreamy concept where it could have gone beyond the great Rumi Guest House portions. Plus, the colabs here feel a lot more natural and spurred from interest musically -- though of course BTS will sell albums, both that and the Selena/WeAreKing collabs feel like good female counterparts.Β 

Anyways, I won't rate the album yet, but I will say I think there's a lot of nuance on here and for me it's currently ahead of AHFOD and somewhere in the ether space of GS/EL but below MX and Viva.Β 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Went in with low expectations. And after the first listen, came out with a resounding meh. Coloratura, a song that could have been a high light of their career, gets lost in all the filler and mostly forgettable music on the record. And what did they do to pride of the people?! The raw energy in the live version is completely lost trying to make the song what it is not, with a trendy modern production. Only songs I want to immediately give a second listen to are humankind, infinity sign and biutyful.

So this album is a miss for me. But I'm really looking forward to having a wonderful time in the tour. And huge props to the band on the amount of work they have done to make it more sustainable!

PS: higher power does become so much better in the context of the album. And I liked it to begin with.

I cant understand why do you see in "infinity sign" that most of you like this "song". Its jus synthesizer and people saying "olΓ© olΓ©".

Β 

With the critics, I think that the point its not thatΒ they do new music or different styles. They have been doing that since the begginning. The main problem here is that what they do is, in general, very very bad. Its a very poor album. Very short and with lot of ΒΏpadding?, I mean, songs that you fell that should not be there cause they dont mean nothing, are emptu, like Infinity Sign.

Coldplay, and specially Chris Martin, has entered in to a poppy sound mix with lot of collaborations that yes, maybe they can came to nΒΊ1 in lot of harts and have lots of reproductions in spotify and youtube, butΒ that will lead them to the path of musical irrelevance. Songs like Yellow or Fix You will remain in your memory for decades. SJLT or MU will soon be forgotten because they don't mean anything and every year a lot of the same songs are made. Its very sad that they only can win the ΒΊ1 charts with collaborations. Sorry, Im very dissapointing with that.

Β 

And dont understand why people said that the production is so good. What they do with people of the pride its awful!

Β 

Β 

P.D: In Spain there is a mistake with Warner and the Album wont come until a few days... ?Β 

Edited by ToniMoreno
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Incoming with some hot hot hot takesΒ 

Β 

- POTP is the biggest missed opportunity on the album imo. The demo had a lot of promise and the live versions were intriguing, but turning it into a Max Martin produced glam rock stomper is not it. They should've saved the demo for one of the more alternative leaning albums.Β 

- The same is true for Spanish Rain/Don Quixote/Life is Beautiful and Infinity Sign. It's kind of a shame to witness a song evolve over the course of a decade, only to be reduced to an instrumental interlude.Β 

- I don't know how much truth there is to the rumour that MOTS and EL were written around the same time, but if that's the case I really wish Coloratura was used for EL instead. It fits EL's more understated and experimentalΒ vibe perfectly and does not fit MOTS at all. It's a bit weird wishing an album didn't have its best song on it, but honestly MOTS works better as a unified piece without it.Β 

Edited by Famous Old Painter
  • Like 2

After what Chris said of them being so disappointed about the reception ofΒ EL it was clear that their next album would be a poppy one that would be liked by everybody. They seem to have created this album with the only goal to go on tour with it, and this accounts for its flaws as well as its merits. They always said they wanted to get better not bigger, but they have done the opposite. They have aimed for the stars. They thought they would be able to conquer the universe but sadly enough they only created a mediocre album with some good songs, some bad ones and only one brilliant song, Coloratura. It lacks authenticity. Perhaps the album will grow on me but after listening to the whole album twice I still feel a bit disappointed.Β 

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, merril said:

After what Chris said of them being so disappointed about the reception ofΒ EL it was clear that their next album would be a poppy one that would be liked by everybody. They seem to have created this album with the only goal to go on tour with it, and this accounts for its flaws as well as its merits. They always said they wanted to get better not bigger, but they have done the opposite. They have aimed for the stars. They thought they would be able to conquer the universe but sadly enough they only created a mediocre album with some good songs, some bad ones and only one brilliant song, Coloratura. It lacks authenticity. Perhaps the album will grow on me but after listening to the whole album twice I still feel a bit disappointed.Β 

I agree with you, it was well known that this album would be poppy and more for the charts. I think that's why I'm not that disappointed, I see it for what it is. EL is a gem to me but is not the right product for the growing fast disposable consumerism (I think that's why a Social Network with short videos as TikTok is so popular nowadays). The true is that those who control the charts know what sells the best, and Coldplay tried to stay active among new generations. I don't hate new music and styles, that's why I enjoy some poppy songs and is better if they are from Coldplay! Of course every negative opinion is completely valid, but that's the formula Coldplay is using right nowΒ ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Famous Old Painter said:

Incoming with some hot hot hot takesΒ 

Β 

- POTP is the biggest missed opportunity on the album imo. The demo had a lot of promise and the live versions were intriguing, but turning it into a Max Martin produced glam rock stomper is not it. They should've saved the demo for one of the more alternative leaning albums.Β 

- The same is true for Spanish Rain/Don Quixote/Life is Beautiful and Infinity Sign. It's kind of a shame to witness a song evolve over the course of a decade, only to be reduced to an instrumental interlude.Β 

Β 

I some how missed the POTP demo. If you or anyone wants to direct me to the location of that and or slide into my DMs , I would be forever thankful.Β 
Β 

agreed in the instrumental , it’s like it got demoted and that’s when it was slapped on an album.Β 
Β 

Β 

also my hot take:

I have made a MOTS playlist , but added in space type songs not on other albums and it helps make if feel more complete.Β 
Β 

aliensΒ 

moving to marsΒ 

atlasΒ 

• Like 1

Music of the Spheres doesn't even feel like a Coldplay album. Where is the variation of instruments, the solos, the bass? And what shocks me the most is that they are absolutely capable of making excellent pop songs (Mylo Xyloto and Kaleidoscope EP for example), but MOTS sounds so lazy!

It makes me sad to know that the only song that seems to please 100% of the fans is the one that Max Martin had little involvement. This outside influence diminishes the band's ability to create great songs. I hope the next album makes us forget about this big disappointment.

Edited by cygnus12
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Captain Crieff changed the title to πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion