✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

On 12/8/2021 at 5:15 PM, Doomotron said:

I find that the transition between ASFOS and Coloratura is pretty much identical to the transition between Infinity Sign and Coloratura. They're both loud, party songs followed by the quieter, complex symphony that is Coloratura. My opinion on Infinity Sign when I first listened to MOTS was that I didn't know why it was there (especially when we were thinking IS was going to be Life Is Beautiful) and that the drum beat (?) was too loud. But over time, just like with Higher Power, I started to appreciate it more and now it's one of my favourites from the album. But more importantly, I feel IS is not just a good song, but integral to the success of Coloratura. Chris described the interlude tracks as palette-cleansers, and in a way IS is just a long palette-cleanser. On a full listen to the album, Coloratura would have stuck out like a sore thumb if it followed Biutyful and My Universe. Coloratura, like the nebula it represents, is so separate from the rest of the album it needed to be distinctively be apart for it to have its full effect.

A Sky Full Of Stars on Ghost Stories is in a similar position. The gap between Oceans and it is significant, and you get this explosion of music, followed by one of Coldplay's saddest songs, Fly On. And after that, there's a haunting hidden track. Maybe ASFOS is needed to separate Oceans and Fly On, or perhaps it represents something. I don't know.

And yes, I do agree the album does seem to take a lot from past albums. The interludes, MOTS1 and Alien Choir in particular, sound like they've come straight out of Mylo Xyloto - as does Humankind. Let Somebody Go and Human Heart feel a lot like Ghost Stories songs, and I think that applies to Infinity Sign as well. The only songs I think couldn't have been from an older album are Biutyful and Coloratura, but I think that's a good thing. Coloratura in particular is a song that couldn't possibly have been written by old Coldplay; it's just too complex, like how David Bowie could only have written his song Blackstar with the experience he'd had before. Similarly, Lazarus and I Can't Give Everything Away (the absolute final song in Bowie's discography), both from his final album Blackstar, could only have been written by Bowie in the position he was in when he wrote them. I'd also have said People Of The Pride is very different, but taking into account Arabesque's ending, it could easily have fit in Everyday Life. Still, it's one of my favourite Coldplay songs ever.

Biutyful was supposed to be on EL.

On 12/8/2021 at 6:43 PM, CP-EST said:

A Sky Full of Stars and Coloratura is the best combination to finish concert for now. For me A Sky Full of Stars has been getting more and more enjoyable, it has aged well and finally fits perfectly.

On the other hand Clocks-Fix You-VlV combination after Higher Power in this era feels very uninspiring and they seem like a programmed machine when they play these. Are they lazy, ashamed or afraid to try something else? This feels too much like a comfort zone. Other artists and bands change setlist up way more and rearrange songs a little. The most interesting pieces in setlists this era have been Everything's not Lost and Nothingman cover in Seattle. Also the acoustic version of Yellow has been great, but they should experiment with changing songs up and mixing setlist way more. I understand, that in each show 99% people are new and hearing that setlist might be a fresh experience, but for the band playing same old stuff like robots has got be boring. I'd like to think they keep all the great fresh ideas for the upcoming tour.

If you look at early AHFOD tour setlists it’s very much the same where nothing super interesting is going on. I have high hopes they’re just being a bit tentative in practicing the new songs. Also a lot of the gigs rap the radio ones have time limitations - none of the shows have had the full 1:30-2:00 length in which there can be more experimentation slots. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:43 PM, CP-EST said:

On the other hand Clocks-Fix You-VlV combination after Higher Power in this era feels very uninspiring and they seem like a programmed machine when they play these. 

I respectfully disagree with 'Clocks' in that grouping. 'Clocks' is the perfect companion song with 'People of the Pride'; both songs relate to clock imagery and they both cover some doubtfulness with the speaker... 

"Work.. it's not easy, and we could all be blown apart"

"Cursed missed opportunities, Am I a part of the cure, Or am I part of the disease?"

I am unfortunately in agreement with VLV and Fix You because its hard for me to see those ones blend in with the newer songs off of the Music of the Spheres ablum.

If it's a fan request sure however in my mind flow of songs how they relate to each other and the lyrics etc, its important what to include and not. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TealAppeal said:

I respectfully disagree with 'Clocks' in that grouping. 'Clocks' is the perfect companion song with 'People of the Pride'; both songs relate to clock imagery and they both cover some doubtfulness with the speaker... 

"Work.. it's not easy, and we could all be blown apart"

"Cursed missed opportunities, Am I a part of the cure, Or am I part of the disease?"

I am unfortunately in agreement with VLV and Fix You because its hard for me to see those ones blend in with the newer songs off of the Music of the Spheres ablum.

If it's a fan request sure however in my mind flow of songs how they relate to each other and the lyrics etc, its important what to include and not. 

I didn't have so much problem with the songs individually actually. Just the general approach to playing these small shows seems to be too much a comfort zone for the band. Not changing anything, makes me wonder if they actually can enjoy playing the same hit songs in a certain order in a form they have been playing for a long time. They have a lot more good older songs than just 4-5 to choose from. Changing and playing different songs avoids it becoming too robotic. I understand that setlist for tour becomes quite fixed from the start already and this is fine, but for smaller shows it doesn't have to be like that, I think.

Now talking about these songs. Clocks actually works very well in MoTS era context indeed, I imagine it will be played quite early in touring setlist also. I see Higher Power-Clocks-Humankind or Higher Power-Humankind-Clocks as quite good opening for show, but they might have a better ideas. Fix You and VlV will fit in touring setlist also eventually - these are important songs in their catalog and include audience for massive singalongs. I'm sure they have a good setlist in mind where these will fit in perfectly, but it would be interesting if they rearrange old songs sometimes as well.

• Like 2

It would make sense to change the set list up more since they've been talking a lot about how they don't want to keep making the same old music anymore and they want to try new things. 

But even if they keep the same songs in the same order, I think sometimes it feels a bit robotic because the choreo, visual effects and backing tracks (at least for some of the songs) are always the same. So it looks and sounds the same each time, there's not a lot of room left for improvisation or spontaneity. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, LisaFeehily said:

But even if they keep the same songs in the same order, I think sometimes it feels a bit robotic because the choreo, visual effects and backing tracks (at least for some of the songs) are always the same. So it looks and sounds the same each time, there's not a lot of room left for improvisation or spontaneity. 

Exactly that! Even if the audience for each show is new, they can still sense the lack of spontaneity or improvisation. They are a great band, but recently hiding too much behind the hit songs, which they have perfected in every way (visually, choreographically etc).

• Like 6

Spoiler

Break of Dawn (which appears to be Vampire Symphony) - this song is ON REPEAT. It's such a catchy indie pop song I'm totally digging it! The guitars and synths are perfect. The lyrics overall sound great (still trying to figure out what Chris sings though). No way they will never release this song; it would work perfectly in smaller but also bigger arenas! The tempo, the catchy-ness, the overall vibe. Damn once again they kept one of their bests off an album.... Forget the Race, release Break Of Dawn!

Head full of Dreams - I'm really into the the lyrics and the intro which repeats througout the song. Took a moment to get adjusted to the latin percussion. However the song itself is great. I really hope we will find a new version to be released anywhere in the future soon. It really has the potential to become a stadium song as well as a fan favourite! It gives me the euphorics of AHFOD combined with the lovestruck Human Heart.

Drunk and High - not better than the final HFTW but... what a shame they cut out the strings and guitar (especially in the outro)

Legends - AoAL is definitely better, however this feels like a completely different song if you were to cut out the guitar. It has a very chill vibe (reminds me of Kygo).

Forever Whatever - could've easily fit on MOTS. Not so sure about this, feels a bit unfinished indeed. Has the potential to become a Fix You v2. though.

Here is some of my views on the songs!

Edited by 42JTR

Although hearing leaks is always interesting, for me judging leaked demos feels a bit weird. It's commenting on something that wasn't ready to be heard by wider audience or not belonging in the group of songs that were supposed to be released at certain time. It almost makes me a bit cringe thinking what Chris as a perfectionist might feel, when he gets to know that thousands of people listened to some mumbled unfinished early idea haha.?

All I can say after hearing these leaked demos is that this gives us the proof again that they are very prolific songwriters and might have tons of great songs and ideas which they haven't got right yet or which haven't found a place in any of the albums yet. Seems like this is what the album called Coldplay will become: a collection of the great Coldplay songs, which just didn't and will not fit that well into any of albums' concepts thematically or ended up sounding too different or just didn't fit into album tracklist.

• Like 2

By the way, in case you don't know yet, that EP is fake, both its title and cover art. The tracks are real, though Break of Dawn is actually called Vampire Symphony. That version was also manipulated/edited by the leaker, they created the EP, mashed up together two different takes of Vampire Symphony and renamed it as Break of Dawn. The song is mostly accurate to its original version, though, but still not the original due to the mixing and the leak having those hideous filtered vocals. Thought you should know so we can avoid any eventual misinformation regarding the fake EP.

Edited by dxm3557
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

On 11/22/2021 at 8:14 PM, CP-EST said:

Although studio version is ok and Coldplay performing it alone has been pretty fine actually, is this the most embarrassing performance ever for Coldplay? I mean all the instrumentation is barely audible and then there is just 7 guys jumping and saying something randomly into microphone like monkeys. Please, Chris you are 44 already, one of the best frontman in the world, what are you doing in the middle of these unprofessional performers?

Is this a shreds video?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Famous Old Painter said:

If I were in Coldplay's position, I'd make Vol. 2 an EP like Kaleidoscope and Vol. 3 a live album. Because making two more full length albums like MOTS at this point would be suicide.  

Good idea, it has potential.

For me I'd like Vol. 2 to be full ablum and maybe Vol.3 can be a EP with a few live songs thrown in.

My biggest gripe with Vol. 1 (which I also have with Everyday Life to be honest) was all the short interlude musical pieces. If they cut them and instead replaced them with a 3 or 5 minute full length song that's ambient in nature... that direction would've worked better for me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Famous Old Painter said:

If I were in Coldplay's position, I'd make Vol. 2 an EP like Kaleidoscope and Vol. 3 a live album. Because making two more full length albums like MOTS at this point would be suicide.  

they will probably release something when the tour will have already started, so it could be an option. I've never thought about this before.

But I personally have a doubt about this theory: Chris said the band will work on 3 more studio albums. If we assume that we will have MOTS vol2, MOTS vol3 and the famous last self-titled album, either vol 3 will be a studio album (so, not a live one) or there is a studio album missing?

I hope you can get the point, it's more complex to explain than to understand 

Anyway, as far as we know, any theory could be possible at the moment?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, only.your.imagination said:

they will probably release something when the tour will have already started, so it could be an option. I've never thought about this before.

But I personally have a doubt about this theory: Chris said the band will work on 3 more studio albums. If we assume that we will have MOTS vol2, MOTS vol3 and the famous last self-titled album, either vol 3 will be a studio album (so, not a live one) or there is a studio album missing?

I hope you can get the point, it's more complex to explain than to understand 

Anyway, as far as we know, any theory could be possible at the moment?

Remember that Coldplay consider LeftRightLeftRightLeft an actual album, and I believe they see Sao Paolo in that way as well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Doomotron said:

Remember that Coldplay consider LeftRightLeftRightLeft an actual album, and I believe they see Sao Paolo in that way as well.

This comment made me think to another theory ahahah

Imagine if they decided to perform the new songs which are supposed to be in vol 3 during the tour and to record them only as live versions (like what they did with Moses for example).  The outcome would be an entire live album with new songs... I mean, I perfectly know this would be crazy and there are less than zero chances for this to happen, but reading the previous comments this idea popped into my mind and I couldn't help but sharing this thought ahah

Edited by only.your.imagination
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 12:00 AM, Famous Old Painter said:

People love saying this. 

The fact that they released Magic as a single and not only was there no backlash but it charted at #14 on the Hot 100 tells me nothing they could do would be suicide. They put out just about the most soulless song I've ever heard and made $$$.

• Wow 1
  • Angry 2

• Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion