✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

OhMYGOD you guys I think I just figured out the "isomorphism" thing right after posting that :laugh3: 

I had googled that concept during the first alien radio days and i was like "uh okay i know why i didn't do more maths" :laugh3: 

BUT hear me out hear me out

Here's the definition on wikipedia:

In mathematics, an isomorphism is a structure-preserving mapping between two structures of the same type that can be reversed by an inverse mapping. Two mathematical structures are isomorphic if an isomorphism exists between them. The word isomorphism is derived from the Ancient Greek: ἴσος isos "equal", and μορφή morphe "form" or "shape".

The interest in isomorphisms lies in the fact that two isomorphic objects have the same properties (excluding further information such as additional structure or names of objects). Thus isomorphic structures cannot be distinguished from the point of view of structure only, and may be identified.

AND here are some pictures when googling the term:

Isomorphisme de graphes — WikipédiaProblème de l'isomorphisme de graphes — Wikipédia

Am I crazy or does this also remind you of:

- The general message in Coldplay which is "you and I are the same and equally important"

- Higher Power lyrics : the universe CONNECTED 

So that would mean that the radio message about isomorphism fits in the Higher Power reference category.

:surprised:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 2

5 hours ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

Creo que es una de las mejores canciones de ese álbum ?

Trouble In town, Church, Sunrise, Daddy, Arabesque, Cry Cry: it's the Best of the album. 

Edited by Dherlax
  • Haha 1

0k, so it looks like right now everyone is discussing about a collab with BTS. Let's turn you all crazy: what if the hypothetical K-pop collab is not with them, and it is with a feminine band like Blackpink instead? How you like that?

Edited by The Philosopher
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Philosopher said:

0k, so it looks like right now everyone is discussing about a collab with BTS. Let's turn you all crazy: what if the hypothetical K-pop collab is not with them, and it is with a feminine band like Blackpink instead? How you like that?

Never heard of them so I would be

Confused Thinking GIF

8 hours ago, Coeurli said:

OhMYGOD you guys I think I just figured out the "isomorphism" thing right after posting that :laugh3: 

I had googled that concept during the first alien radio days and i was like "uh okay i know why i didn't do more maths" :laugh3: 

BUT hear me out hear me out

Here's the definition on wikipedia:

AND here are some pictures when googling the term:

Isomorphisme de graphes — WikipédiaProblème de l'isomorphisme de graphes — Wikipédia

Am I crazy or does this also remind you of:

- The general message in Coldplay which is "you and I are the same and equally important"

- Higher Power lyrics : the universe CONNECTED 

So that would mean that the radio message about isomorphism fits in the Higher Power reference category.

:surprised:

Shameless self plug, my band is called Racemates (https://racemates.bandcamp.com/), named after a similar concept in chemistry which is that it's possible to have compounds with 4 distinct atoms (eg a Carbon bonded to a Hydrogen, Oxygen, Fluorine, and a Chlorine) and even though there's exactly the same atoms, 2 distinct arrangements in space that are mirror images and non-superimposable. We call the two versions left- and right-handed, and the mixture of left- and right-handed compounds with the same atoms are called "racemates" or a "racemic" mixture. Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racemic_mixture 

It's a type of isomorphic! 

• Like 2

that's awesome @MosesTheMarshmallow!!! I'll check y'all out. 

And yes @Coeurlithat's helpful! It took me a super long time to understand what the heck AHFOD was about & I had no idea MX told a story until Coldplay said so. I guess I've been hoping for a while that if the band did a "concept album" that the concept would be really apparent and clear. So now we have this "planet" concept and space, but it feels like it's going to another album where you kind of have to do your homework and piece to the loose/general themes together to get it. I guess I was hoping for more than "you're a star, universe, moon, color" type lyrics.

I can already see the interviews when MOTS is released an someone asks "so what's the concept behind the album" and Chris says, "well we like space, and so we wrote a bunch of songs but we think of them as planets because they exist on their own but also are connected, you know what I mean. So the planets are the spheres and this is the music of those planets." And the interviewer is like "wow yeah brilliant," even though they have no idea what Chris is talking about lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I'm hoping for something in the Pink Floyd-direction or a bit more like Moving To Mars or just arty in some way. It would be very fitting regarding the space-theme and because they can sound that way. 

Though I like Higher Power it's not the kind of style I would have hoped for really.

The track "Music of the spheres" sound more like what I would love the album to sound like, but would have been awesome with a whole album in that style with some space rock thrown in.

But Coldplay have become very diverse soundwise with all collabs etc so I don't expect a concept album in that way I'm afraid.

Edited by Famous_Old_Painter
  • Like 5

Yeah I think I'm expecting a AHFOD-type era in terms of pop/alternative balance. Higher Power may end up being a mid-album track like AOAL, Human Heart might be in the middle as well. It sounds like MOTS is gonna open up the album and in your left ear, you can hear a slow low-frequency build up that will likely transition into the first track. I know some folks think that it's HP -- but I feel like that transition isn't very clean sounding. I suspect a different opening track. I then think we'll get at least 2 more big pop singles featuring some big artists, and then two or three more alternative songs, maybe a big space rock outro like Up&Up. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

Yeah I think I'm expecting a AHFOD-type era in terms of pop/alternative balance. Higher Power may end up being a mid-album track like AOAL, Human Heart might be in the middle as well. It sounds like MOTS is gonna open up the album and in your left ear, you can hear a slow low-frequency build up that will likely transition into the first track. I know some folks think that it's HP -- but I feel like that transition isn't very clean sounding. I suspect a different opening track. I then think we'll get at least 2 more big pop singles featuring some big artists, and then two or three more alternative songs, maybe a big space rock outro like Up&Up. 

This is a pretty realistic prediction. I also agree MOTS to HP is sort of a funky transition and reminds me of how VLV noticeably has a different track 1-track 2 transition between the album and live shows (LIT -> COL vs LIT -> Violet Hill). 

I feel like every album that people have hated has had "something for the Oldplayers" - UATW/UFO/Charlie Brown, Fly On/the guitar solo in True Love/Ghost Story/Oceans, AHFOD/Everglow/Amazing Day/Up&Up, and much of EL (esp title track, Trouble in Town, Daddy). Ironically, there's sort of a weird non-overlapping set of populations who like some of the songs I've just named and dislike others. But this is my guest guess at which ones are the ones that appeal to Oldplayers and naysayers.

So for this album, I'm putting my money on one 9 minute space opera atmospheric Pink Floydian X&Y track as the new version of UFO. Another 80s-esque thing I could see happening would be some proper slap bass funk (which HP is like 50% of the way there, with the way Guy plays the bass on that song). But I'm thinking like Panic Station by Muse. But who knows! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

This is a pretty realistic prediction. I also agree MOTS to HP is sort of a funky transition and reminds me of how VLV noticeably has a different track 1-track 2 transition between the album and live shows (LIT -> COL vs LIT -> Violet Hill). 

I feel like every album that people have hated has had "something for the Oldplayers" - UATW/UFO/Charlie Brown, Fly On/the guitar solo in True Love/Ghost Story/Oceans, AHFOD/Everglow/Amazing Day/Up&Up, and much of EL (esp title track, Trouble in Town, Daddy). Ironically, there's sort of a weird non-overlapping set of populations who like some of the songs I've just named and dislike others. But this is my guest guess at which ones are the ones that appeal to Oldplayers and naysayers.

So for this album, I'm putting my money on one 9 minute space opera atmospheric Pink Floydian X&Y track as the new version of UFO. Another 80s-esque thing I could see happening would be some proper slap bass funk (which HP is like 50% of the way there, with the way Guy plays the bass on that song). But I'm thinking like Panic Station by Muse. But who knows! 

I really like the last part of your post ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

I'd be all for that.

Another song idea I think would be neat to experience is this.

There's been a long history of various musicians continuing this fictional character's journey through songs. I'm typing about, David Bowie's "Major Tom" astronaut.

▪"Space Oddity" David Bowie 1969

▪"Major Tom (Coming Home)" Peter Schilling 1983

"Mrs. Major Tom" K.I.A 2002

▪ "The Empty Glass" The Tea Party 2011

( if you want more, search the wikipedia)

Major Tom - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Tom

~ I'd be thrilled if Coldplay wanted to include a lyric about Major Tom or write an entire song about this tragic space hero.

Do hope at least a few songs on this upcoming album have space imagery in the lyrics etc.

Edited by TealAppeal
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

I don't know about you but I'd love to see a Coldplay post-rock song, in the style of Sigur Ros - haunting falsettos, droning guitars, gigantic orchestration, and moments of beautiful ambience in between these huge crescendos. It's one of the few genres I can think of in modern music that they haven't touched yet, so based on it being Will's favorite song and Guy saying they've never done it before, I still have some hope for that!

Edited by TheBigBadBono
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Aiko said:

It reminds me of "Silencia" from the MX comics ?

It really does. And the world of the MX comics just so happens to be a planet in its own right, just like Kaotica (which is most likely the location that's shown in the picture). So I'm really hoping there are similar story elements in this new era of Coldplay's career... maybe another elaborate backstory for the songs just like MX.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This entire 

23 minutes ago, 42Escapist said:

It really does. And the world of the MX comics just so happens to be a planet in its own right, just like Kaotica (which is most likely the location that's shown in the picture). So I'm really hoping there are similar story elements in this new era of Coldplay's career... maybe another elaborate backstory for the songs just like MX.

This entire era seems so much like MX that I'm almost certain that the album will be more like MX/VLV than AHFOD/GS. The entire project seems so ambitious and well-planned and structured, and they seem to be going back to those concepts from 2008-2012: short transitional tracks, songs fading into each other, great electronic ambience, a more diverse sound, even the use of clothing and stage design, as well as the comeback of song titles from those particular eras.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TealAppeal said:

I'd be all for that.

Another song idea I think would be neat to experience is this.

There's been a long history of various musicians continuing this fictional character's journey through songs. I'm typing about, David Bowie's "Major Tom" astronaut.

▪"Space Oddity" David Bowie 1969

▪"Major Tom (Coming Home)" Peter Schilling 1983

"Mrs. Major Tom" K.I.A 2002

▪ "The Empty Glass" The Tea Party 2011

( if you want more, search the wikipedia)

Major Tom - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Tom

~ I'd be thrilled if Coldplay wanted to include a lyric about Major Tom or write an entire song about this tragic space hero.

Do hope at least a few songs on this upcoming album have space imagery in the lyrics etc.

What a great idea. Think about Coldplay doing a Bowie-thing with some Pink Floydian/space rock sound. Oh I'd be in heaven! 

• Love 1

12 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

I don't know about you but I'd love to see a Coldplay post-rock song, in the style of Sigur Ros - haunting falsettos, droning guitars, gigantic orchestration, and moments of beautiful ambience in between these huge crescendos. It's one of the few genres I can think of in modern music that they haven't touched yet, so based on it being Will's favorite song and Guy saying they've never done it before, I still have some hope for that!

Ah yes that would be super cool. This would mean Jonny playing the guitar with a violin bow. ?

31 minutes ago, Dherlax said:

Muse ... ???

Thank you for reminding me of what that screencap reminds me of. This whole video is VERY Kaotica/HP vibes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion