✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

8 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

I know the one performance you mean - I always assumed this was because in the VLV era, Will would always sing the choruses in unison with Chris. Watch the video footage of this, and any other 2008-2009 performance and you'll see Will singing in the choruses. At the final chorus I think I only hear the vocal doubling at the end after the "oh's" finish, but hard to tell if it's Will's voice or Chris's. There's a separate question of is Will lip syncing, and the answer is maybe - supposedly he mentions he does in that master class he taught, though there are plenty instances of performances where you can hear Will make mistakes and stuff, which makes it seem like he doesn't lip sync 100% of the time either.

Also I'm fairly certain Today Show's vocal track is not the same as American Idol/BRIT Awards. Chris sings certain things fairly differently the whole time and I'm not convinced any of it is playback.

But I guess the bigger topic of is there lip syncing, obviously the answer is YES, and we just have to grapple with that as fans, recognising that many major artists do it and a few don't. But it's really hard to get away from the use of any backing tracks at all. Red Hot Chili Peppers reportedly did 100% playback (instruments and vocals) during their Super Bowl performance, though the playback is to a live pre-recorded track rather than a studio version. If that tells you anything about who does or doesn't do playback/lip-syncing. 

About the Superbowl, Will revealed during a masterclass about their concerts that Coldplay's set was also all pre-recorded besides the vocals. Apparently the NFL just makes all the artists use pre-recorded stuff so they don't mess anything up during the peformance.

• Like 4

Thanks to @TealAppeal for posting this link in the C+J thread. What a great performance by Chris and Jonny!!!

-Violet Hill with extended intro that some have compared to Spies or AROBTTH. Very fun and makes me wish we were in the MX era with the Violet Hill to GPASUYF super-rocky version again. (By the way all these songs minus AROBTTH are in the same C# minor key, GPASUYF is in C# major). 

-A tidbit of Square One and Chris says he likes that song! Maybe they'll relearn it. ?

-Sparks! It's a nice performance because on full band ones you can't really hear what Jonny is doing on the piano but here you can hear it and see his speedy transitions between piano and guitar.

-Great version of Higher Power and reinforces the notion that if you were to turn the volume up on the guitars and pull back the synths 10% you'd end up with HLH, which I think is what everyone THOUGHT the song would sound like before it dropped. Jonny plays a few extra guitar parts even compared to the full-band acoustic version (eg some extra textures in the verses) which helps fill it out in a nice way. I wish the album version was closer to this but oh well. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQbc2Bho0Ry/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

Thanks to @TealAppeal for posting this link in the C+J thread. What a great performance by Chris and Jonny!!!

-Violet Hill with extended intro that some have compared to Spies or AROBTTH. Very fun and makes me wish we were in the MX era with the Violet Hill to GPASUYF super-rocky version again. (By the way all these songs minus AROBTTH are in the same C# minor key, GPASUYF is in C# major). 

-A tidbit of Square One and Chris says he likes that song! Maybe they'll relearn it. ?

-Sparks! It's a nice performance because on full band ones you can't really hear what Jonny is doing on the piano but here you can hear it and see his speedy transitions between piano and guitar.

-Great version of Higher Power and reinforces the notion that if you were to turn the volume up on the guitars and pull back the synths 10% you'd end up with HLH, which I think is what everyone THOUGHT the song would sound like before it dropped. Jonny plays a few extra guitar parts even compared to the full-band acoustic version (eg some extra textures in the verses) which helps fill it out in a nice way. I wish the album version was closer to this but oh well. 

Wish I had time to watch it ? Violet Hill is one of their best and they played a bit of Square One? ? Hope this is a sign that they will start playing more from X&Y (probably not though) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2021 at 12:21 PM, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

Funny how Chris and Jonny played a little bit of Square One and then this happened

The whole live stream sounded great. Odd choice of songs apart from Higher Power, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's cool to know that they're still willing to acknowledge some of those Oldplay gems.

Anyways 

I haven't heard the BTS snippet but I guess I just gotta accept that it's happening... BTS covered Fix You, Coldplay recruited Korean dancers for Higher Power, random rumors exploded on the internet, it's gonna happen. They're just waiting to release it. Oftentimes, the most popular single on a Coldplay album is not the first one they release. It's usually the second one. This collaboration will probably be the next single. 

Edited by 42Escapist
  • Like 6

• Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion