🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

🌍 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

1 hour ago, Koleybolen said:

A lot of the time chris sings over his own vocals for a few reasons. It helps him stay in tune better and also it helps him project his voice louder. Especially live with all of the drums bleeding into the vocal microphone. All artists do this, a lot even use live vocal tuning live. There’s nothing wrong with that. It just polishes things up. As a playback engineer I understand why he lipsyncs sometimes. There’s just a lot of factors that come we aren’t aware of! 

Can you explain why. Not all singer use vocal playback to support them. Can you tell witch other artist use backing track vocal on main voice?

Matthew Bellamy don't use vocal backing tracking and we hear he struggles to reach note sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys!!! Last Monday an Italian newspaper published a brief interview with violinist Davide Rossi. I'm Italian and live in Italy, so I promptly went to the newsagent's and bought the paper. In

LEAK  

My special edition CD came early...so it's just leaked inside my house 😀

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Koleybolen said:

A lot of the time chris sings over his own vocals for a few reasons. It helps him stay in tune better and also it helps him project his voice louder. Especially live with all of the drums bleeding into the vocal microphone. All artists do this, a lot even use live vocal tuning live. There’s nothing wrong with that. It just polishes things up. As a playback engineer I understand why he lipsyncs sometimes. There’s just a lot of factors that come we aren’t aware of! 

It's true that these days most singers use technology like live pitch correction or autotune. Probably, if you want to be really sure it's live you have to watch much older performances, e.g. from Queen. More recently, I'd say Amy Winehouse is an example of someone who made very little use of this. 

I actually watched a video on this the other day to understand how technology can be used to enhance performances. I also read the comments and it was quite interesting to see how it was split pretty much 50-50, with half of those commenting saying they preferred the polished version and the other half saying they preferred the more natural version. So whether we think it's right or wrong is very much down to personal preference. Sometimes, it can make it hard to tell what is live and what isn't, and in my opinion it can help weaker performers a lot but at the same time can make it very difficult to know how talented different musicians really are. 

And I still think that if a large portion of a performance is playback then calling it live is misleading, I think music must be the only industry where we think that type of thing is acceptable.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Koleybolen said:

I remember watching a performance of Viva la Vida from around 2008 or 2009... I think the Saitama broadcast from 2009? And there's a little bit at the very end where you can clearly hear two distinct vocal tracks: one that's unquestionably live because Chris sounds like he's trying to catch his breath, and one that sounds flawless.

It's easy to tell that Chris is singing along to his own vocals whenever they play Midnight. Chris sings along to his own recording so it sounds just like the studio version, which also has doubled vocals and a slight delay so it sounds like an echo.

23 hours ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

😮 

CFD0193A-E0CF-4848-8290-C5AE53B1E906.jpeg

Once again, Chris is trying so hard to keep quiet 😂

The other day there was someone on... Reddit, I think? And they were saying the album is set to be released in October. I obviously don't know if they are correct. And even if they are, things could change between now and then. Coldplay albums have been delayed before so who knows?

Also, I'm just gonna leave this here... I want them to release The Race so badly and who knows, this may be its year. Maybe Phil will convince them to do it.

Edited by 42Escapist
  • Like 5

Sappho also mentioned on discord that Phil said the Race is definitely going to be released someday they just don’t know how to finish the song. But Chris had a dream that night about how to finish it so…

• Like 3
On 6/20/2021 at 4:00 AM, 42Escapist said:

I remember watching a performance of Viva la Vida from around 2008 or 2009... I think the Saitama broadcast from 2009? And there's a little bit at the very end where you can clearly hear two distinct vocal tracks: one that's unquestionably live because Chris sounds like he's trying to catch his breath, and one that sounds flawless.

It's easy to tell that Chris is singing along to his own vocals whenever they play Midnight. Chris sings along to his own recording so it sounds just like the studio version, which also has doubled vocals and a slight delay so it sounds like an echo.

I know the one performance you mean - I always assumed this was because in the VLV era, Will would always sing the choruses in unison with Chris. Watch the video footage of this, and any other 2008-2009 performance and you'll see Will singing in the choruses. At the final chorus I think I only hear the vocal doubling at the end after the "oh's" finish, but hard to tell if it's Will's voice or Chris's. There's a separate question of is Will lip syncing, and the answer is maybe - supposedly he mentions he does in that master class he taught, though there are plenty instances of performances where you can hear Will make mistakes and stuff, which makes it seem like he doesn't lip sync 100% of the time either.

Also I'm fairly certain Today Show's vocal track is not the same as American Idol/BRIT Awards. Chris sings certain things fairly differently the whole time and I'm not convinced any of it is playback.

But I guess the bigger topic of is there lip syncing, obviously the answer is YES, and we just have to grapple with that as fans, recognising that many major artists do it and a few don't. But it's really hard to get away from the use of any backing tracks at all. Red Hot Chili Peppers reportedly did 100% playback (instruments and vocals) during their Super Bowl performance, though the playback is to a live pre-recorded track rather than a studio version. If that tells you anything about who does or doesn't do playback/lip-syncing. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

I know the one performance you mean - I always assumed this was because in the VLV era, Will would always sing the choruses in unison with Chris. Watch the video footage of this, and any other 2008-2009 performance and you'll see Will singing in the choruses. At the final chorus I think I only hear the vocal doubling at the end after the "oh's" finish, but hard to tell if it's Will's voice or Chris's. There's a separate question of is Will lip syncing, and the answer is maybe - supposedly he mentions he does in that master class he taught, though there are plenty instances of performances where you can hear Will make mistakes and stuff, which makes it seem like he doesn't lip sync 100% of the time either.

Also I'm fairly certain Today Show's vocal track is not the same as American Idol/BRIT Awards. Chris sings certain things fairly differently the whole time and I'm not convinced any of it is playback.

But I guess the bigger topic of is there lip syncing, obviously the answer is YES, and we just have to grapple with that as fans, recognising that many major artists do it and a few don't. But it's really hard to get away from the use of any backing tracks at all. Red Hot Chili Peppers reportedly did 100% playback (instruments and vocals) during their Super Bowl performance, though the playback is to a live pre-recorded track rather than a studio version. If that tells you anything about who does or doesn't do playback/lip-syncing. 

About the Superbowl, Will revealed during a masterclass about their concerts that Coldplay's set was also all pre-recorded besides the vocals. Apparently the NFL just makes all the artists use pre-recorded stuff so they don't mess anything up during the peformance.

• Like 4

Thanks to @TealAppeal for posting this link in the C+J thread. What a great performance by Chris and Jonny!!!

-Violet Hill with extended intro that some have compared to Spies or AROBTTH. Very fun and makes me wish we were in the MX era with the Violet Hill to GPASUYF super-rocky version again. (By the way all these songs minus AROBTTH are in the same C# minor key, GPASUYF is in C# major). 

-A tidbit of Square One and Chris says he likes that song! Maybe they'll relearn it. 🙂

-Sparks! It's a nice performance because on full band ones you can't really hear what Jonny is doing on the piano but here you can hear it and see his speedy transitions between piano and guitar.

-Great version of Higher Power and reinforces the notion that if you were to turn the volume up on the guitars and pull back the synths 10% you'd end up with HLH, which I think is what everyone THOUGHT the song would sound like before it dropped. Jonny plays a few extra guitar parts even compared to the full-band acoustic version (eg some extra textures in the verses) which helps fill it out in a nice way. I wish the album version was closer to this but oh well. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQbc2Bho0Ry/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 3

So the leaked snippet confirms that the leaked lyrics are real. Chris can be heard singing "... infinity inside your eyes" before the korean section.

• Thanks 3
10 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

Thanks to @TealAppeal for posting this link in the C+J thread. What a great performance by Chris and Jonny!!!

-Violet Hill with extended intro that some have compared to Spies or AROBTTH. Very fun and makes me wish we were in the MX era with the Violet Hill to GPASUYF super-rocky version again. (By the way all these songs minus AROBTTH are in the same C# minor key, GPASUYF is in C# major). 

-A tidbit of Square One and Chris says he likes that song! Maybe they'll relearn it. 🙂

-Sparks! It's a nice performance because on full band ones you can't really hear what Jonny is doing on the piano but here you can hear it and see his speedy transitions between piano and guitar.

-Great version of Higher Power and reinforces the notion that if you were to turn the volume up on the guitars and pull back the synths 10% you'd end up with HLH, which I think is what everyone THOUGHT the song would sound like before it dropped. Jonny plays a few extra guitar parts even compared to the full-band acoustic version (eg some extra textures in the verses) which helps fill it out in a nice way. I wish the album version was closer to this but oh well. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQbc2Bho0Ry/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Wish I had time to watch it 😩 Violet Hill is one of their best and they played a bit of Square One? 😮 Hope this is a sign that they will start playing more from X&Y (probably not though) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, harrisonrules said:

Can somebody please help identify this logo

Screenshot_20210622-155403_Photo Editor.jpg

20210622_155537.jpg

20210622_155629.jpg

A bit similar to mercury, but don't know. It's probably some astrological symbol🤔 

mercury-symbol-planet-sign-icon-vector-illustration-170686917.jpg

Edited by Famous_Old_Painter
  • Thanks 1
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021
  • stephen changed the title to 🌍 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion