✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

1 hour ago, merril said:

I love EL and I find it so sad that they are obviously not willing to sing any songs from that album. Chris seemed so disappointed when he talked about the little Interest fans took in those songs. But that is mainly Coldplay's own fault, they hardly promoted that album. If they had  promoted it like 'Higher Power' EL would certainly have been very successful. It's a pity that the EL songs, which show the wide range of music they are capable of producing, will soon be completely forgotten.

Tracks from EL (except Orphans and COTW) are not really for the stadiums. I really love EL as well.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gustavothehuman said:

Coldplay are at a very tricky point of their career where the fans want to hear deep cuts and casual concert goers want to get the hits. We should make the idea of a surprise song for each night arrive on their heads, that way they can cover a lot of the discography by the time the tour is over.

Well... the problem is that Coldplay has been at this very tircky point since MX. I understand that people who go to one consert of Coldplay in his life wants or hopes to hear the Coldplay hits, but you as a band shouldn´t make the setlist thinking only in this people.

Is fantastic to hear Viva la Vida or Fix You in live, but we have been hearing this song more than 10 years and always hearing the same. Other bands change or adapt their older songs to the sound of the new album, making yhe whole concert with a specific sound and thematic. But Coldplay doesn´t, they play the same songs with the same sound. And I think that for lot of fans that is quite bored.

Do you want to play Viva la Vida another tour? Ok, at least change the sound of the song. Because I have a lot of live versions of Viva la Vida (from the official releases) and ITS THE SAME.

I'm very sorry if I sound very critical, but it seems very tired to me since every time we have news of a small Coldplay concert or a show on a radio we see the songs they play and they are the same as always. During some of EL's shows that seemed to change a bit, but it was little more than a mirage. And it is not something that is done only during the beginning of the ages, then in the concerts that are held as part of the tour this structure of hits + new songs is maintained. You just have to see the setlists of the last 10 years.

And even more frustrating is the amount of interesting songs that they put aside ... the Kaleidoscope EP only played 1 time each song (except SJLT), when they were songs that had a lot of potential. Now with the EL, there were several songs strong enough to keep them on the set list, Champion of the World, Arabesque or Trouble in Town.

And finally, they don't always play all the songs on the last album, from AHFOD they never played Fun, and the singer with whom they recorded it went with them on the tour ...

Edited by ToniMoreno
dont understand why is hidden
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

Well... the problem is that Coldplay has been at this very tircky point since MX. I understand that people who go to one consert of Coldplay in his life wants or hopes to hear the Coldplay hits, but you as a band shouldn´t make the setlist thinking only in this people.

Is fantastic to hear Viva la Vida or Fix You in live, but we have been hearing this song more than 10 years and always hearing the same. Other bands change or adapt their older songs to the sound of the new album, making yhe whole concert with a specific sound and thematic. But Coldplay doesn´t, they play the same songs with the same sound. And I think that for lot of fans that is quite bored.

Do you want to play Viva la Vida another tour? Ok, at least change the sound of the song. Because I have a lot of live versions of Viva la Vida (from the official releases) and ITS THE SAME.

I'm very sorry if I sound very critical, but it seems very tired to me since every time we have news of a small Coldplay concert or a show on a radio we see the songs they play and they are the same as always. During some of EL's shows that seemed to change a bit, but it was little more than a mirage. And it is not something that is done only during the beginning of the ages, then in the concerts that are held as part of the tour this structure of hits + new songs is maintained. You just have to see the setlists of the last 10 years.

And even more frustrating is the amount of interesting songs that they put aside ... the Kaleidoscope EP only played 1 time each song (except SJLT), when they were songs that had a lot of potential. Now with the EL, there were several songs strong enough to keep them on the set list, Champion of the World, Arabesque or Trouble in Town.

And finally, they don't always play all the songs on the last album, from AHFOD they never played Fun, and the singer with whom they recorded it went with them on the tour ...

1 hour ago, jcfromparis said:

Tracks from EL (except Orphans and COTW) are not really for the stadiums. I really love EL as well.

I'd argue Church, Everyday Life, and Trouble in Town are all great stadium songs. And I imagine they'll always do the B/C stage performances, which will enable things like Daddy and Guns to get played. 

I'm also still processing what I feel about My Universe but I agree with an earlier post that basically said "ASFOS is a bit better." Coldplay has been very adept at adapting other mainstream trends from other artists:

-Viva la Vida = picks up on the heavy string use in early Arcade Fire
-ASFOS = the Aviici formula but with more piano, guitar, and bass
-AOAL = very much the style of mid 2010s songs that had a crapload of vocal samples as part of the "instrumentation", yet with some amazing guitar/bass.
-SJLT = the Chainsmokers formula but again with more piano, guitar, and bass

So it shouldn't be unexpected that MU is a bit of a 1980s-inspired but pretty unique track. My biggest complaint though is that it has less of a musical "journey" than the aforementioned songs. VLV builds into a huge singalong, ASFOS and SJLT have some of the most powerful beat drops AND some amazing guitarwork by Jonny. MU sort of...goes nowhere in my mind since the verses and choruses are very similar...the only break/transition is really to the outro. Especially compared to Coloratura which just came out and goes about 5 different places. 

All that said, the BTS parts are great, the song is catchy, the outro iis really well produced and has some cool instrumentation even if it's more synthy than it is the normal Coldplay formula. I guess I just wish it would employ some of the tools that came into play in previous Coldplay songs.

• Like 3

Edited by ToniMoreno
Previous hidden post

3 hours ago, ToniMoreno said:

To be fair, they have been changing Fix You over the last several years. They gave it a more electronic arrangement in 2016 that sampled Midnight and added a string section backing track. They used it through the end of the AHFOD tour. Then, in late 2019 and very early 2020, they did a more acoustic arrangement that sounded more like something off of Everyday Life. The Glastonbury 2021 live stream had the original version. Now they're using the Midnight version again.

They've been changing GPASUYF ever since the version from the Viva tour. It'll probably sound different once again if they decide to keep playing it. In My Place was stripped-down on the AHFOD tour and by the end of the tour, they had Will singing it instead of Chris. The Sirius XM broadcast the other night had a new acoustic version of Yellow.

But other than that... I see what you mean. They aren't exactly going and re-arranging all the popular songs that get played on every tour. Just a couple songs here and there. Still the same Clocks, The Scientist, Viva la Vida, etc.

• Like 5

Well, really GPASUYF is the only song that changes in different tours. Maybe too much xD

But the other songs keep very similar. In Fix You the differents between versions are very small. Only in EL we have something a little different... And yes, the songs that they played in the AHFOD tour in the C stage were different, but thats because the small format.

Hope they change more other songs, we will see in next concerts

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 12:16 AM, Bauk said:

Thanks! I don't really understand how this can be real, since there will only be 5000 copies and unique polaroids included.. How is this possible, when it's not from the Coldplay store? 

Even though I'm wondering about this, I still couldn't resist... ?:escaping:

The Merchbar is legit, the only problem is that they list stuff that's no longer available as out of stock,
plus, in my case, they don't ship some items to my country.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ccrules2791 said:

Wonder what they play at Global Citizen... would be surprised if they really play a new song given the lengths they went to hide people of the pride?

Maybe they go Higher Power >> Clocks >>> Viva La Vida >>> Fix You >> My Universe?

According to this, they soundchecked Humankind ?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/coldplay/2021/great-lawn-in-central-park-new-york-ny-138da92d.html

• Like 1

Reading all your comments about EL's songs not being included in the setlist it makes me feel really sad that such a great album is being left behind. I agree that EL doesn't have an ASFOS as GS, but there are some songs that could be played in a stadium with no problem. Also in my opinion EL is more intimate and is perfect for studio concerts, personally I love the Tiny Desk presentation the band had, the EL songs were perfect and I really love the sound of the album, one of my favorites... I think we'll have to keep that album as a personal gift for Coldplayers (Wich I don't think is something bad).

Changing subject, I read that People of the Pride is a final version of The Man Who Swears... Can't wait to hear it! The lyrics of that demo are kind of dark, but let's wait and see...

Edited by eddmen
Typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, eddmen said:

Reading all your comments about EL's songs not being included in the setlist it makes me feel really sad that such a great album is being left behind. I agree that EL doesn't have an ASFOS as GS, but there are some songs that could be played in a stadium with no problem. Also in my opinion EL is more intimate and is perfect for studio concerts, personally I love the Tiny Desk presentation the band had, the EL songs were perfect and I really love the sound of the album, one of my favorites... I think we'll have to keep that album as a personal gift for Coldplayers (Wich I don't think is something bad).

Changing subject, I read that People of the Pride is a final version of The Man Who Swears... Can't wait to hear it! The lyrics of that demo are kind of dark, but let's wait and see...

Yes, I also think we should consider EL as a gift to the fans, especially to the devoted ones who have followed the band throughout different periods; I don't really think that they are going to play EL songs while promoting MOTS or on a possible following tour, but maybe in the long run they might decide to play them every now and then. After all, even though EL era was quite brief, the band seemed satisfied with the album. I wonder if without the pandemic EL destiny would have been the same. 

This is obviously just my personal opinion.

anyway people of the pride lyrics are basically the same of the man who swears, and personally I have always loved that kind of  "darkness" in the lyrics of VLV period! 

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, only.your.imagination said:

Yes, I also think we should consider EL as a gift to the fans, especially to the devoted ones who have followed the band throughout different periods; I don't really think that they are going to play EL songs while promoting MOTS or on a possible following tour, but maybe in the long run they might decide to play them every now and then. After all, even though EL era was quite brief, the band seemed satisfied with the album. I wonder if without the pandemic EL destiny would have been the same. 

This is obviously just my personal opinion.

anyway people of the pride lyrics are basically the same of the man who swears, and personally I have always loved that kind of  "darkness" in the lyrics of VLV period! 

We'll never know, but I think it would have been different without the pandemic, even GS (that it was more like a Chris' personal project) had a better promotion than EL. Anyway I'll keep watching the Live in Jordan as many times I want haha.

• Like 3

During the AHFOD tour they play part of the GS, so its possible than in the next tour they will play some of the EL songs. I think I read in an interview that chris said they will not play Orphans in the future (personally I dont like that song...), but I dont remember that he said something about the whole album.

I think songs like Arabesque, Champion of the World or Trouble in Town could fit perfectly in a stadium with other newones from MOTS.

9 minutes ago, ToniMoreno said:

During the AHFOD tour they play part of the GS, so its possible than in the next tour they will play some of the EL songs. I think I read in an interview that chris said they will not play Orphans in the future (personally I dont like that song...), but I dont remember that he said something about the whole album.

I think songs like Arabesque, Champion of the World or Trouble in Town could fit perfectly in a stadium with other newones from MOTS.

I think Champion of the World has a chance given that it's mostly a Coldplay song. I LOVE Arabesque but I'm wondering how much Chris would do that unless Femi Kuti is there personally. Church is sort of tough on his vocal range, so that's out. A bunch of the other ones are still kind of small stage - so maybe a b-stage (tops). Everyday Life itself I'm sure will get played at some point. But with the exception of Champion of the World, I don't see them being rotational. Trouble in Town is a great song, albeit pretty heavy too...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aiko said:

Personally I don't believe this is one of the best Coldplay song, however I'm already happy with Coloratura, Human heart (and possibly people of the pride) so far. 

I've watched the video for sheer curiosity as I always find interesting these types of "behind the scenes" (the hope was to get some "hints" at what's coming next at this point, however nothing interesting unfortunately for us came out?)

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this topic, but I watched the Global Citizen live yesterday and I've really appreciated the version of "Fix you" with Billie Eilish. And judging from Will's reaction at the very end of the song, I would dare to say he might agree with me!

(I'm sorry for my English, I'm Italian)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ccrules2791 said:

I think Champion of the World has a chance given that it's mostly a Coldplay song. I LOVE Arabesque but I'm wondering how much Chris would do that unless Femi Kuti is there personally. Church is sort of tough on his vocal range, so that's out. A bunch of the other ones are still kind of small stage - so maybe a b-stage (tops). Everyday Life itself I'm sure will get played at some point. But with the exception of Champion of the World, I don't see them being rotational. Trouble in Town is a great song, albeit pretty heavy too...

They can play Arabesque with samples ¿loopers? and keyboards as in Viva la Vida, for example. But I sadly think Chris doesnt like very much that song cause it has low vocals...

Trouble in Town matchs good with Violet Hill or People of the Pride...

• Like 1

Talking about POTP, It’s so funny how those sessions with Brian Eno keeps on giving! Every new project has an old song that started back then.

Kaleidoscope EP had ALIENS, EL has Arabesque and now the finished The Man Who Swears on MOTS. That was definitely their creative peak!

• Like 6

• Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion