🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

🌍 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys!!! Last Monday an Italian newspaper published a brief interview with violinist Davide Rossi. I'm Italian and live in Italy, so I promptly went to the newsagent's and bought the paper. In

LEAK  

My special edition CD came early...so it's just leaked inside my house 😀

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, ruffsnap said:

I cannot stop listening to Biutyful, I don't get it lol. I like it overall as a song, but I don't like crazily love it or anything (I think, maybe that's in the process of changing!). Something about it is just a VIBE. I've literally had it on repeat now for the past 2.5 hours straight!

Higher Power and Biutiful are the best tracks of the album i think, the rest is nothing special.

• Haha 3

I have a weird question about Humankind - Am I the only one who feels like something is off? Throughout the song the lyrics are dragged out like "I heard the straaaaangeeessttt sooooooooong", or "we're only huuuuuuuuumaaaaaaan" but in the chorus the "still they call us humankind" irritates me so much because it doesn't sound the same - I always expect it to go "still they call us huuuuuumaaaaankiiiiiind" into the chorus melody. Love the song, but this bugs me so much, I can't help it lol.

I'll post my impressions from the album later.

Oh and also, 

3 hours ago, WeddingDom said:

Coloratura is the best, not feeling the rest yet.

We're kind so they call us humankind... seriously, Chris?

Where did you get this from? There is not a single line in the song that says that... I guess you mean  "But we're capable of kindness, so they call us humankind".  If so, then you made it sound more terrible than it actually is.

Edited by GarbageOffice
  • Like 2

BTW, what a shame that Infinity Sign is not a proper version of Don Quixote. That song was very good!

But I guess they decided not to release it since it has the same chord progression as Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark.

• Like 3

Hey all, I know its off topic (would appreciate if someone could guide me to the correct place) -- I bought a ticket to the Seattle Climate Pledge Arena show but got another from a friend as well. So I'm looking to sell (at the price I bought them for) but ticketmaster says they are non-transferable. Does anyone have an idea on how this can work? Please PM me if you do. Thanks 😄

I just finished listening to the new album and I only have one question:

How does a band manage to produce something as beautiful, meaningful, melodic and special as "Everyday Life" and in less than 2 years release something as empty and forgettable as "Music of the Spheres"? 😐

I never thought Coldplay would be able to create a shallower album than A Head full of Dreams, but I was wrong.

Anyway, I'll be here looking forward to the next album!

• Love 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 4

It seems like overall outcome will be quite similar to AHFOD. MOTS will be the album critics like to criticise intensively a little bit more than it actually deserves. It's easier to do that, than see and write about some positives. Criticising big bands feels always great and intriguing.

But in the end Coldplay with the next tour will again deliver one of the best live shows in the world. I can see most of the new songs working great in stadium environment with visual effects.

Anyway I think overall it's big step up from AHFOD, which for me gets quite boring and unimpressing halfway through. In my opinion MOTS feels like quite complete record overall, so it definitely deserves some praise for that, although it could have had more depth to this concept for sure.

My inner music critic would give it overall rating of 7.5 after giving it several listens while driving with car and also sitting down and listening with headphones. It's an amazing work with production and blending different styles into complete feeling album, but the songwriting and lyrics are often too cheesy even by Coldplay standards.

Just some comparison with postX&Y era "tour albums". For me AHFOD is 6.0, Mylo 8.5 and Viva 9.5.

• Like 2

For me the album was okay, and I'm always up for Experimentplay, but definitely one of the weakest albums thus far. I would say that this one sits on the same level as AHFOD. Its fun, though, and makes you happy and smile at times. And it is really, really short. Really feels like an intro for something bigger. I think that the biggest mistake they did concerning the album was to release Coloratura before the album itself was released.

My ratings:

Coloratura 10/10 - one of the best songs Coldplay has ever released. I really feel, like this song should not be on an album like this. It deserves better.

Higher Power, My Universe and Humankind (really growing on me after the first listens and could go up to 8/10) are 7/10 - really fun, catchy and just makes you feel good and happy.

Music of the Spheres is a 7/10 - I do really, really wish it was longer, like an extended version, like this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it1hD1zGgDk

Human Heart is also a 7/10 - really beautiful, just wish it was longer.

People of the Pride is a 7/10 - the live version felt more explosive and energetic. Its good though. A hint of glimpse of Oldplay.

Alien Choir - 6/10 - again, again, again, why can't it be longer? Like 2-3 minutes? Just go full on ambient, full on experiment.

Let Somebody Go - 6/10 - it's a fine love ballad, I quite like the exploding ending.

Biutyful - not my cup of tea, does nothing for me, but its cute (?) - 6/10

Infinity Sign - after three listens I can definitely say that this should have been with lyrics. I miss Chris on this, but, nonetheless its quite nice. 6/10

Music of the Spheres II is just i don't know. Why? 1/10.

The album is nowhere near as good as Everyday Life. I would say, that it's at the same level as A Head Full of Dreams.

I would say the album gets from me a 6.5/10.

Still love me some new Coldplay. 🙂

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, pectoralz96 said:

I just finished listening to the new album and I only have one question:

How does a band manage to produce something as beautiful, meaningful, melodic and special as "Everyday Life" and in less than 2 years release something as empty and forgettable as "Music of the Spheres"? 😐

I never thought Coldplay would be able to create a shallower album than A Head full of Dreams, but I was wrong.

Anyway, I'll be here looking forward to the next album!

What album you listened to? MOTS for me is much better than AHFOD

• Like 1

Just listened via VPN (thanks Singapore). Yes, lyrically sort of poor. But I think the instrumentation of some songs isn't being discussed enough. Humankind for all its lyrical misgivings has a banging riff and a catchy chorus. Loved that one from the first listen. Also Biutyful is not everyone's cup of tea -- but I really like the melody and the duet. It's a cool new idea that hasn't been used often in pop music. Let Somebody Go will definitely have a single version like Everglow and it can have staying power. POTP is going to be awesome live -- and obviously Coloratura is great.

Overall, I think My Universe is the only one I'm truly underwhelmed by. And weirdly I don't understand the love for Infinity Sign. It's good like Life in Technicolor was good. As a full song I hope they have a b-side with Infinity Sign II with full Life is Beautiful lyrics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its the lyrics for the most part that destroy the flow of most tracks on this album.

The lyrics dont fit the instrumentation mostly, Higher Power is a good example of a track with the right flow.

• Like 3

I still have to listen to the whole album (Coloratura included!), except for HP and MU (and yes, concerning these two songs, I personally think that Coldplay can do - and have done - much better). However, reading some reviews I have the impression that the critic is not really reviewing the album, but rather reviewing the band.

For instance I agree with several points in the Pitchfork review (f.e. when they miss Chris saying "We can't get bigger, we should get better!", instead of "We want to make music for those who like us"), but most of the piece sounds more like a harsh critic of 2021 Coldplay, which uses the album's flaws to corroborate its statements. It's a reviewer's job that of highlighting a band's weakness, but here they should have commented on the album, describing its positive and negative aspects, not simply saying what they think of Coldplay, making fun of them. They did not even mention Human Heart and Coloratura, which together make more than 1/4 of the whole album.

Moreover, both Pitchfork and the Guardian criticise EL for having sold little compared to previous records, as if they ignored the fact that EL was not meant to be a chart topping album, and completely forget to recognise its qualities and its experimentation. At the same time they attack MOTS for being more mainstream and bringing nothing new, stating it was envisioned only to top charts and sell copies. Reasoning like this seems to be a bit influenced by prejudice.

Once I hear the album I might dislike it even more than those critics. What sounds wrong to me in these reviews is not their content but their reasoning, not their low rating but the reasons behind that rating.

• Like 6

I received the CD and vinyl version of Music Of The Spheres today (a day earlier than expected, uh-oh!!) and listened to both formats already.

Great album in general. Feels like it's a bit too short though. Well, the subtitle is Vol.1: From Earth With Love, so maybe there's coming a second volume sometime later?

So far my favorite track off the album is 'Coloratura'. Also, love the artwork!

Edited by andrewsky
3 minutes ago, andrewsky said:

the subtitle is Vol.1: From Earth With Love, so maybe there's coming a second volume sometime later?

In the music video of HP it said there are 3 parts, so we get at least 2 sequels to this i guess.

Edited by Nature
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, Nature said:

In the music video of HP it said there are 3 parts, so we get at least 2 sequels to this i guess.

Sounds good! And oops, I can't remember that hint. I seldom watch music videos these days.^^

• Like 1

Reading all your impressions only increases the hype. I have ready my audio system for an eargasm lol.

Anyway is it time to start theorizing about MOTS II? 🤪

I'm super excited to see how they expand on this album. I really enjoyed it! Here's what I thought of the songs let me know if you all agree or not. 

Song Ranking 

⦵ (Music of the Spheres) 7/10
Higher Power 9/10
Humankind 9/10
*✧ (Alien Choir) 5/10

Let Somebody Go 10/10
♡ (Human Heart) 9/10
People of the Pride 10/10
Biutyful 5/10
❍ (Music of the Spheres II) 2/10
My Universe 6.5/10
∞ (Infinity Sign) 7/10
Coloratura 10/10

• Like 1

I still have to listen to the whole album (Coloratura included!), except for HP and MU (and yes, concerning these two songs, I personally think that Coldplay can do - and have done - much better). However, reading some reviews I have the impression that the critic is not really reviewing the album, but rather reviewing the band.

For instance I agree with several points in the Pitchfork review (f.e. when they miss Chris saying "We can't get bigger, we should get better!", instead of "We want to make music for those who like us"), but most of the piece sounds more like a harsh critic of 2021 Coldplay, which uses the album's flaws to corroborate its statements. It's a reviewer's job that of highlighting a band's weakness, but here they should have commented on the album, describing its positive and negative aspects, not simply saying what they think of Coldplay, making fun of them. They did not even mention Human Heart and Coloratura, which together make more than 1/4 of the whole album.

Moreover, both Pitchfork and the Guardian criticise EL for having sold little compared to previous records, as if they ignored the fact that EL was not meant to be a chart topping album, and completely forget to recognise its qualities and its experimentation. At the same time they attack MOTS for being more mainstream and bringing nothing new, stating it was envisioned only to top charts and sell copies. Reasoning like this seems to be a bit influenced by prejudice.

Once I hear the album I might dislike it even more than those critics. What sounds wrong to me in these reviews is not their content but their reasoning, not their low rating but the reasons behind that rating.

Agree with that^

However I do believe that Coldplay have become much bigger than their type of music warrants today. I mean they are a household name now and there are more casual fans of the band than ever before who know them only through their hits (Paradise, Viva, The Scientist, Yellow, ASFOS, SJLT). This imo skews their listener profile and so for them to carry these fans to their next album, they need to have Pop songs, ensure relevance by collaborations etc.

So today, I don't understand Chris. Imo he's not being honest with himself. They say they don't care about chart performance but hire Max Martin as the producer, release 100 versions of Higher Power hoping to get it up there, collaborate with BTS even though it's very difficult to get it to work. They seem to exist in a kind of duopoly now -- songs that are made to show their musician skills (eg Coloratura) and then songs that are made to get hits (My Universe). The hardest thing in music is to write a good song that can also be popular -- which is what they achieved with their initial albums but are not doing imo with the newer ones.

The genre they are the best at (maybe not what they want to go back to) is Indie Rock, Soft Rock, BritPop, etc and I think that their best hits (Scientist, Yellow, Fix You, Clocks, Viva, even Paradise) came from them being true to that. They felt authentic. I don't mean for them to "stay in their lane" and only do those genres but to just stay authentic. Which is why them not promoting EL grinds my gears the most. That's a GOOD Album. It has good ideas, good collection of genres to explore, some catchy moments and feels authentic. But they hardly promoted it because they thought they wouldn't be able to get the casual fans along with them for that ride. That's somewhat defeatist in my opinion. If you believe in your album then believe that the people will come, instead it ended up feeling like a interlude. 

With MOTS, however much they try to highlight the "allegorical" ideas, its a half baked concept which turns it into a gimmick. Aliens and whatnot -- there's no authenticity. But since Chris is such a songwriting genius, I continue to be a fan and continue to enjoy some of their work. The core of all their songs is good but all the dress up is like a poor entry into a fancy dress competition.

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 11
  • Love 1

Just had one listen:

Better than AHFOD but what a messy album. I get that each song represent each sphere/world/whatever but it's just so disjointed and jarring. I might change my mind after a few listens but right now I keep thinking why the hell is this song on this album? 

Edited by shred
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, Magic123 said:

I'm super excited to see how they expand on this album. I really enjoyed it! Here's what I thought of the songs let me know if you all agree or not. 

Song Ranking 

⦵ (Music of the Spheres) 7/10
Higher Power 9/10
Humankind 9/10
*✧ (Alien Choir) 5/10

Let Somebody Go 10/10
♡ (Human Heart) 9/10
People of the Pride 10/10
Biutyful 5/10
❍ (Music of the Spheres II) 2/10
My Universe 6.5/10
∞ (Infinity Sign) 7/10
Coloratura 10/10

Oh that's A LOT of 10's, hope the album will grow on me. So far for me Coloratura is the only one higher than maybe 6 or 7.

I don't like collabs, when I listen to Coldplay I sant to hear only Chris.

Edited by Famous_Old_Painter
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, EmiTurambar said:

What album you listened to? MOTS for me is much better than AHFOD

I wish I could agree with you.In the end, what counts is how each album reaches each person and I believe that AHFOD has more variations in musicality and lyrics than MOTS. Apart from Coloratura, the other songs seem very simple and the same to me.

Edited by pectoralz96
  • Like 2
  • stephen changed the title to 🌍 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion