🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

🌍 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

22 minutes ago, JackColdplay said:

Old Coldplayer checking in, well not an old person, but a fan from the 00s. What has happened to this band? It’s just awful. How can a band go from writing such masterpieces on another level to this utter rubbish? It’s like Chris Martin has gone fully loopy and they all just go along with his insane ideas. So depressing because they were so good, Chris and the band were genius, now it’s just embarrassingly bad. 

I sorta know how you feel.

To be fair I don't loathe Coldplay's new stuff but I feel their library of work is like an ocean it ebbs and flows for me.

Parachutes - Decent

ARoBttH - Adored 

X&Y - Decent / Mixed Feelings

Viva - Adored 

Mylo - Decent / Mixed Feelings

Ghost Stories - Adored

AHfoDreams -  Decent / Mixed Feelings

Everyday Life - Adored

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys!!! Last Monday an Italian newspaper published a brief interview with violinist Davide Rossi. I'm Italian and live in Italy, so I promptly went to the newsagent's and bought the paper. In

LEAK  

My special edition CD came early...so it's just leaked inside my house 😀

Posted Images

Ranked:

1. Coloratura (10/10) - 'Nuff said, gorgeous music.

2. Beautiful (8/10) - I really enjoy this, so strange and pretty.

3. Humankind (7/10) - Fun! Catchy!

4. Human Heart (7/10) - Pretty ballad, nice song.

5. Higher Power (7/10) - Good chorus, great verses, lazy in the middle-eight.

6. People of the Pride (6/10) - Epic in some parts, cringe in others

7. My Universe (6/10) - Same.

8. Infinity Sign (6/10) - Yeah, it's nice.

9. All the Interludes - (5/10) - Meh.

10. Let Somebody Go (4/10) - Boooooring.

Overall, it's... fine. It's there. It's colourful and varied, but incohesive and slight. There's still a lot of creativity in this band, but they need an Eno figure to bring it back out of them again. Doesn't touch Everyday Life.

• Like 2

Interludes- 5/10

Infinity Sign- 10/10

Humankind- 9/10

POTP- 7.5/10

Beautiful- 10/10

Let Somebody Go- 8/10

Human Heart- 6.5/10

My Universe- 10/10

Higher Power- 9/10

Coloratura- 5/10 (Up & Up better closer)

Edited by IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, TealAppeal said:

I sorta know how you feel.

To be fair I don't loathe Coldplay's new stuff but I feel their library of work is like an ocean it ebbs and flows for me.

Parachutes - Decent

ARoBttH - Adored 

X&Y - Decent / Mixed Feelings

Viva - Adored 

Mylo - Decent / Mixed Feelings

Ghost Stories - Adored

AHfoDreams -  Decent / Mixed Feelings

Everyday Life - Adored

I agree with most of what you said. Although I disagree with Everyday Life. I’ve just looked at my recent posts from the end of 2019, and apparently I was singing it’s praises, but I’ve not listened to a single song from it since. For me VLV was the best, utterly incredible and will go down as my favourite album for ever, MX was a bit meh, you could see the beginning of the end, but there’s some great songs on there. But then plot twist, they pulled it out of the bag with Ghost Stories. It’s just been mediocrity at best since then for me. I loved everything that went before. 

The songs with Rihanna and Jay Z I loved and consider iconic, I don’t mind the BTS song, but Selena Gomez? Emojis for song titles that my phone doesn’t even recognise? Really? I’ve got a friend with a Coldplay tattoo on his forearm, it’s not what he signed up for. 

• Haha 1

They’ve also gone way overboard with filling albums with less than a minute filler tracks. Life in Technicolour and Mylo Xyloto for example it worked, now it’s just disappointment. 

• Like 4
Just now, JackColdplay said:

They’ve also gone way overboard with filling albums with less than a minute filler tracks. Life in Technicolour and Mylo Xyloto for example it worked, now it’s just disappointment. 

That is a valid criticism, in fact when I inserted Everyday Life cd onto my PC, I edited the song in audacity to ensure the track: "GOD = LOVE" was one collective piece. 

13 minutes ago, Famous Old Painter said:

Editing tracks together or separating them has just become par the course for Coldplay albums at this point

Yeah but when you sell it as an entire planet or “sphere”..

1 hour ago, Eskapist said:

I think everything has already been told ... Music of The Spheres is not Coldplay's best record for sure. It's also the first time I don't take a Coldplay album as a whole and I know it goes with the " one song for one sphere " idea but ... I don't feel it. The band has always been so minutious with the atmosphere of their other eras that I can't help feeling something a bit too bland and neutral. 

It doesn't mean the songs are bad : Human Heart, Infinity Sign and of course Coloratura sound really amazing to me. Maybe the problem comes of the way they thought about it at the beginning : it feels like they wanted a record to tour with and they made a universe after that statement. I wanted them to be free from the beginning and release something from their pure musicality. I don't know how they worked on this one, it feels like Chris would send ideas to the other members from his studio in L.A and they just followed the lead, with maybe less brainstorming and big studio sessions than Everyday Life. Coloratura feels like when they finally got together and made a song together, as old friends.

Still I can hear Chris and Coldplay's talent, I know it's here. But it could have been done differently... Anyway. Love them ♥

wow you said it all. 

• Like 1

For me Coloratura isn’t objectively bad, but it just seems like a not as good Moving To Mars. It would sound good in the background of a movie. The song with BTS is probably the best on the album for me, astoundingly. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, JackColdplay said:

For me Coloratura isn’t objectively bad, but it just seems like a not as good Moving To Mars. It would sound good in the background of a movie. The song with BTS is probably the best on the album for me, astoundingly. 

Moving to Mars >>>>>>>> everything

• Like 1
On 10/15/2021 at 2:02 PM, JackColdplay said:

Agreed. The interludes aren't having the same effect on this album as it did with the others. It's now coming across as an obligation to have an interlude (and an intro even) instead of it flowing with the rest of the songs. 

Edited by shred
  • Like 2

My final comment, I can’t even be bothered to remember the “gospel” song on the last album, or the “gospely” song on the latest album, featuring 2 other artists. Totally forgettable and skippable. If I wanted to listen to gospel music, I’d listen to the crème de la crème gospel music, the masterpieces of that genre, not Chris’ wacky idea that results in a far below average song slotted into a disjointed bizarre album. Surely Jonny, Guy and Will just say, “eff it, ok Chris, we’re loaded anyway”? Phil’s just there for the ride. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, The_Blue_Room said:

Just so you know, a lot of the leaks floating around are using the single versions of HP, MU and Coloratura, which don't have the proper transitions between tracks (which is why some people are saying the transition between MOTS2 and MU is so abrupt). The proper album versions flow more smoothly.

Edit: A way to tell whether you have the right versions: the album version of HP should start with some sound from MOTS before the "3 2 1" (the single version is just silent before the "3 2 1") and the album version of MU should have crowd noise during the intro.

Apple Music / iTunes Version doesn't have the proper transitions as well. Includes the single versions of HP and MU.

Guess Parlophone messed it up. Hope they fix that soon.

Gotta say, despite all the negativity surrounding the album and my own disappointment with some songs, I can't help but be hyped for their tour.

Only seen them once before and every single concert of theirs is a life-changing experience!

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, hardti said:

Apple Music / iTunes Version doesn't have the proper transitions as well. Includes the single versions of HP and MU.

Guess Parlophone messed it up. Hope they fix that soon.

Wow, so that's why I can't find a proper version! Unbelievable that they'd screw something like that up. Maybe once someone shares a CD rip I can download that instead.

Here's my review (co-posted to r/Coldplay!)

'm nearly done with Coloratura which I've listened to plenty of times, so here's my initial review. It's short—like curiously short. I'm surprised at how, I guess, incomplete it feels even though it's definitely an experience from beginning to end.

That being said, I enjoyed it more than I anticipated earlier this year when we got news about BTS, etc. The only dud for me so far is Let Somebody Go; Pride of the People will have to grow on me too.

But, the standout tracks are really, really good. MOTS is an excellent instrumental opener, Humankind blew me away, Biutyful somehow works with its high-pitched tuning, and Infinity Sign is a killer Jon Hopkins track that really sets the mood for what I wanted from the rest of the album.

Oh, the production is legitimately great. Max Martin really, really impressed me with that. I expected a muddled mess a la Ghost Stories/AHFOD, but I'm glad to be wrong.

I'm not going to try to rate or rank it because it's too early. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. It feels much more put together than AHFOD (or the entire era) ever did, so I personally feel it isn't fair comparing those two albums.

• Like 1

Ok now this really sucks... In Spotify is not even there yet... And YouTube we have each song individually uploaded so I won't avoid the ads and the pauses between songs... Someone really messed it up...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, eddmen said:

Ok now this really sucks... In Spotify is not even there yet... And YouTube we have each song individually uploaded so I won't avoid the ads and the pauses between songs... Someone really messed it up...

It's on spotify here, which country you're in?

Brilliant

Coloratura 10/10

Music of the Spheres 9.5/10

Great

Humankind 7.5/10

People of the Pride 7/10

Good

Human Heart 6.5/10

Higher Power 6/10

Infinity Sign 6/10

Eh

Alien choir 5/10

Let Somebody Go 4.5/10

BAD

Biutyful 4/10

My Universe 3/10

MOTS2 3/10

On 9/10/2021 at 13:07, 42JTR said:

Edited by Dherlax
  • stephen changed the title to 🌍 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion